[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Yankees Talk thread
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/24/2014  6:12 AM
Finestrg wrote:Priorities for the Yankees during the off-season (trying to keep it realistic):

(1) Resign Stephen Drew to replace Jeter. Should come dirt cheap--he's been pretty bad the past couple of years but he's capable. Good stopgap option over the next few years until we can come up with something better. If this guy hit .250 and fielded his position, I'd be OK with that (I'd want to pay accordingly too -- this guy needs to come back for the right price. We can't overpay to bring him back). If we can get the bulk of the major production we'll need elsewhere, we don't need this guy to be Jeter in his prime. Plus I'd rather spend money elsewhere. Gotta do our diligence here though -- if someone like JJ Hardy, Asdrubal Cabrera or Jed Lowrie is willing to sign for the same or less than Drew, that's probably the way to go. Hanley Ramirez will be available but he'll probably be too expensive. He'll want (and probably get) star money or close to it...Again, I think we need to spend the bulk of our FA money elsewhere.

(2) Resign David Robertson. Or do we conserve the money, let Betances close, and divert the D-Rob money to possibly 2 quality setup guys -- Andrew Miller (L) & Chris Perez (R) or a Jim Johnson (R)? Andrew Miller has become a force btw -- if we could grab this guy to go together WITH D-Rob and Betances, that would make for a SICK bullpen.

(3) Resign Chase Headley. Good guy, plays the **** outta 3B and I think he's comfortable here -- I think we could reasonably expect 30 doubles and 15 HRs next year as a fulltime 3rd baseman.

(4) Pencil in A-Rod as the DH. I mean we'll be back to paying this guy big money -- he needs to earn at least some of that money. I'd like to see him come in in shape, ready to put all the nonsense behind him by the end of spring training and with a fierceness and mindset that he's got a lot to prove. 20-25 HRs would be fine; more than that would be even better. No steady DH has given us that kind of production this year.

(5) Come up with something better than Carlos Beltran for RF (unloading Beltran's salary would be a top priority for me. Bottom line: we unload Beltran's salary, we'll have more money to spend on other things. Beltran for a couple of B-level minor leaguers and call it a day. If we could get more than that, great, but I'll be satisfied dealing him to a team that's willing to absorb the rest of his contract). How 'bout signing Colby Rasmus as a replacement (upgrade)? Dude's a top-notch outfielder and I think he could really do some damage in Yankee Stadium (25-30 HRs maybe?). Might be able to get him cheap off his subpar year.

(6) Pencil in Martin Prado as the everyday 2nd baseman. Gotta see what Pete O'Brien winds up becoming but as of now, this turned out to be a good trade for us. Dude's a gamer.

(7) Resign OFer Chris Young if the money makes sense (trade Beltran & let Ichiro walk -- this guy should be our extra outfielder). Check in with Delmon Young -- dude's been around forever yet is only 29. Could be a good 4th OFer/DH if Young proves to be too expensive.

(8) Resign Brandon McCarthy. He's been good overall; GREAT pitching at Yankee Stadium. Money needs to make sense though. We've been paying Kuroda about $16mm a pop over the last few seasons (year to year 1-yr deals)--I think McCarthy has better stuff at this point and would come cheaper. Let Kuroda walk and resign McCarthy. Together with Tanaka, Greene (needs to become a mainstay now), hopefully we get Nova back contributing, Pineda and either CC or Capuano back in the mix as a lefty starter to round out the rotation---with a guy like Luis Severino waiting in the wings (ace or legit #2 potential here - I think he could move up quickly)---that ain't bad at all. Pitching hasn't been the problem this yr. It's been a big plus. The offense is what needs to be tweaked/enhanced.

(9) I'd like to see Zealous Wheeler and Antoan Richardson back for depth. Wheeler's tough, can hit and plays all over and this Richardson is very fast and provides more OF depth.

Beltran started the year awesome. I think he just played through the whole season with a bad elbow. I'd like to see what he can do next year. Most of your other comments I agree with.
AUTOADVERT
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
9/24/2014  12:01 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/25/2014  9:11 AM
Tragic Number down to 1. It's over and out.

Now it's whether Derek actually plays in Boston or if today's rain out is his last of a billion hurrahs...

Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

9/30/2014  11:27 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/30/2014  1:16 PM
A couple of positives at the end of the season --

(1) Pineda threw the hell outta the ball that last game. Cranked it up to 96 MPH and the slider was the best we've seen all year from him. If we could get this guy back to where he's throwing 95+ consistently, watch out. Major weapon.

(2) This Jose Pirela looks like a player. AAA all-star this year before the callup. Plays all over (looked real good at 2B), he's got speed and he can hit. Shows nice enthusiasm and spunk.. Real nice revelation at the end of a disappointing year. Maybe this kid's our 2nd basemen...If that's the case we might be able to conserve some money -- pencil this kid Pirela in at 2nd, Prado plays 3rd instead of 2nd (A-Rod DHes and is hopefully productive) and we let Chase Headley walk. More money should then be available for other things: D-Rob, maybe even another top bullpen arm (Andrew Miller?), McCarthy, an everyday SS, a RF upgrade, etc..

gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
10/2/2014  12:17 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/2/2014  12:21 PM
I find it hilarious how the fans and media expect the Yankees to tweek their crappy old roster and expect to be in the playoffs next year! Helloooooo the rest of the AL is young and improved. Teams like Seattle & Cleveland just missed the playoffs. A few good moves and they can be good for years. Red Sox will be a lot better next year. Yankees will finish 3rd behind them and Baltimore. Girardi misses the playoffs 4 out of 7yrs. And Cashman still sucks
Finestrg

11/6/2014  3:34 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/6/2014  1:50 PM
Yasmany Tomas

Anyone else feel like the Yanks should pursue this guy? Just defected from Cuba, I believe he's established residency and is currently a FA. I personally think he fits like a glove -- this lineup needs a legit power threat and an everyday RFer. I don't see how we just pencil in a 38-year-old Carlos Beltran coming off the elbow injury and a completely unproductive year in RF and anywhere from 3-5 in the order and think that's good enough. Last year proved--it's not good enough. Either trade Beltran or slide him into the Ichiro 4th OFer role. We need to strengthen our attack big-time. Hopefully A-Rod can come back and give us something -- say 20-something HRs in the DH spot (even if he can't play 3rd anymore, we can slide Prado in over there)..I was thinking Colby Rasmus as a RF upgrade but this guy might be the better choice. So far I haven't seen the Yankees as one of the teams that's in on this guy. Mistake. I think they need to get involved. They're saying it could take a 10 year/$100mm contract to get it done. I think he's 23 years old -- if he pans out, $10mm a season could be a bargain. What if we could get a player somewhere along the lines of Puig/Cespedes/Jose Abreu? Boston traded for Cespedes and they just gave another Cuban OF prospect, Rusney Castillo, a 7 year/$72.5mm deal. I think the Yanks should go all in on this kid Tomas. What was the point in getting Tanaka if we're not prepared to go the extra nine & spend some more money to round out the team properly?

• Bring David Robertson back.

• Sign Andrew Miller -- we need a solid lefty reliever anyway. Go get the best available. Betances/Miller leading up to D-Rob closing is a great 3-man back end to the bullpen. Those 3 would ensure we win a lot of games.

• Sign Yasmany Tomas. 25-30+ HRs year after year during his prime years of 23-33 would definitely be worth $10mm a pop.

• Bring Brandon McCarthy back -- he was good for the Yanks after coming over in the trade.

• Pencil in Shane Greene for the rotation.

• Give RH reliever Danny Burawa a long look this spring. Could be another dominant power arm we could add to the pen for 5th-6th inning duty. Minor league stats aren't that impressive but neither were Shane Greene's before his callup. Burawa's got a big-time arm & passes the eye test. Better stuff than Shane Greene imo.

• Re-establish CC Sabathia as part of the rotation. Hopefully the knee's OK now and the year off helped his arm. A bounce-back year (say 15 wins) would be awesome. Would love to see him back pitching with confidence. No longer throws 97 mph but neither does Madison Bumgarner. That guy's mowing down hitters throwing 91-92. Gives me some hope that CC can make it back and still contribute.

• Don't overspend on a SS. I'd rather see money allocated elsewhere (see above). Just get a steady, reliable guy to pencil in that'll field the position. Any offense would be gravy if we succeed in upgrading other areas. Pay accordingly. A guy like Stephen Drew might be our best bet. I think he'd come cheap off the terrible year, he can field the position, nobody would expect a thing from him--as such there's no real drama with Drew taking over SS from Derek Jeter like there would be with a guy like Hanley Ramirez coming over. Drew will come cheap, he'll field well and odds are he'll hit well over the .167 or whatever he batted last year. Don't over-think this. Just listened to Harold Reynolds on the MLB network say the Yanks should throw $200mm total at Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval for 3B (2 guys coming over from a completely different league mind you, Ramirez has trouble staying healthy--they're talking about how he probably won't play out his entire next contract at SS, that he might have about a year or 2 left at short before he'll have to be moved, and Sandoval was great in the postseason but really isn't a great regular season performer). I disagree. I'd rather see that money used for D-Rob & Miller (keep bullpen strength intact--further enhance it with Miller), Tomas (youth, legit power, $10mm a season will eventually look like a bargain) & Brandon McCarthy.

• Infuse with some youth from within, something Hal Steinbrenner seems very much in favor of. Give this kid Jose Pirela a long look at 2B during the spring. This Korean kid Rob Refsnyder's another possibility for 2B. I like the look of that kid too A LOT. Looks like he can really hit -- real quick, compact swing with some nice gap power -- reminds me of Gregg Jefferies/Ian Kinsler at the plate. Kid split time in Trenton and Scranton in 2014 and hit a combined .318 with 38 2Bs and 14 HRs. A converted OFer now playing 2B, he cut his errors in half last year (2013: 25 errors in 108 games; 2014: 12 in 112 games)...Also monitor the progress of youngsters like 1B Greg Bird (ripping up the Arizona Fall League right now), LH reliever Jacob Lindgren (95 mph with great breaking stuff) and SP Luis Severino (front end of the rotation potential). I'd also think long and hard about finally establishing LHSP Manny Banuelos with the big club. TJ surgery in 2012, missed the entire 2013 season, and had an uneven performance last year in limited action working with pitch count limits all year. Most important thing is he looked healthy. Looks like he's added a hard cutter to his fastball/change up/slow curveball arsenal. If he's healthy, if the stuff's there and if we need to fill a rotation spot, why the hell not? Better than have him floundering around in the minors. I don't want to see any pitch restriction with him anymore. Take the shackles off and let this kid go to work. Hoping for a big bounce-back year out of Banuelos. If he's productive and healthy, I'd like to see him fast-tracked. If he's right, I think Banuelos compares favorably to Francisco Liriano stuff-wise. I think all of these guys have the potential to move up quickly in the organization and become contributors sooner than later. We need to start augmenting from within a little bit. Looking forward to seeing these youngsters in spring training this year. Just read a quote direct from Hal Steinbrenner, saying that he expects to see Refsnyder, Lindgren and Severino all crack the Yanks' 25-man roster at some point in 2015.

• It'd be nice to bring back Chase Headley -- read we're negotiating his return. Good guy, not the hitter he was that 1 year in SD but he's a very good fielder. Can't overpay for this guy though. Again, if it came down to it, I'd rather see our FA money allocated elsewhere. I'd like to see a combination of Pirela/Refsnyder take over 2B and that'll leave Martin Pardo to play 3B (3rd might be Pardo's best position anyway). I think we'd be good there. And this is assuming A-Rod can no longer play in the field -- maybe he still can play some 3B...Maybe sign a guy like Jorge Vazquez out of the Mexican League to be a corner infield backup and to supply some added pop off the bench. We had Vazquez a couple of years ago in AAA Scranton and he hit 32 HRs. He strikes out a lot but can play 1st & 3rd, has legit pop and would come cheaper than Headley.

Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
11/16/2014  6:35 PM
I don't get the Cervelli trade. Cervelli is too good to trade for a mediocre reliever.
Finestrg

11/17/2014  3:14 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/20/2014  11:34 PM
I actually don't mind it--and I LOVED Cervy. Always one of my favorite Yankees... Will always remember his incredible amount of enthusiasm, always keeping his pitchers engaged, pumping his fist right before/after a big strikeout, etc.. He could never really stay healthy though. I think with McCann (looking for a bounce-back year--I think we'll see it) and the plethora of young catchers we still have in place behind him (looks like JR Murphy's the backup at this point--I think we're fine there...Gary Sanchez maybe hasn't developed as fast as they've hoped but is still a major prospect), our depth at C is still very solid...I like this kid Wilson's arm -- lefty who throws mid to upper 90s with a good slider. I've read he's a better version of Boone Logan. I really wanted to see us in on Andrew Miller but with this move for Justin Wilson, Cash's other minor pick-up the other day (Jose De Paula) and Jacob Lindgren/Tyler Webb knocking on the door (some think this kid Lindgren's ready for the majors right now), I think we look much improved from the left side in the bullpen all of a sudden. Time will tell.

This move almost certainly means no Andrew Miller now -- I wonder where the focus is gonna be the rest of this off-season. Can't possibly come back with the same team. I think it's reasonable to expect a little bit better year from McCann and maybe Ellsbury too, but I think this offense still needs a jolt. The offense was a major reason why we weren't a playoff team...I'd like to see us retain Robertson (I have a feeling he'll be back--Cash likes him and is supposedly trying to hammer out a multi-year deal to bring him back) but if they wanted to, they easily could go with Betances at closer, freeing up a lot of money going that route. We could conserve some more money going with Prado/Zelous Wheeler at 3rd along with whatever A-Rod has left (we let Headley walk), Rob Refsnyder at 2nd (asking a lot, I know, but he looks like the real deal, at least with the bat) and if we can't bring Stephen Drew back at our price (just remembered he's a Boras guy--Boras already talking as if he's prepared to play hardball with Drew---he can go scratch then, no way I'd overpay off the year Drew just had), maybe we look at a cheaper alternative like Jed Lowrie or we just stick with what we have: Brendan Ryan backed up by Jose Pirela (a youngster I really like--Pirela can back up SS, 3rd and 2nd for us--could probably even start at 2B if Ref's not ready--and he can handle the bat). So we go cheap with the lefty upgrades in the pen, maybe play it cheap at 3rd (no Headley), cheap at SS, cheap at 2nd (I'm praying this kid Refsnyder's ready and the real deal), we could also go with Betances at closer and let D-Rob walk, go cheap with some other internal bullpen (Danny Burawa) and rotation upgrades (Luis Severino, Manny Banuelos, Bryan Mitchell, even a guy like Nik Turley looks pretty good from the left side. Ian Clarkin too--he could move up quickly...maybe we go with these guys and let Kuroda and McCarthy both walk) ---> point is, if we really wanted to conserve like this, I see no reason why the money shouldn't be there for an impact bat. I really like Yasmani Tomas. He's the guy I really want. I'd take a chance here. I understand we still have Beltran for $15mm but it's only for one more year and we just resigned Chris Young on a real club-friendly contract -- with Beltran a year older and coming off the elbow problems, I have a real problem just penciling him in in RF and thinking we're OK. I'd like to see us get in on this kid Tomas. The only reason I can think of passing on Tomas is Aaron Judge's emergence. Judge had a real good 1st yr in A ball. 6'7" 230 lb. RFer with excellent power and good overall tools... Great first yr -- let's see what he does for an encore now. Judge looks legit, I just wish he was ready to help right now. Looks like he might be a year or two away..

I think Tomas would be a good investment. Why not move forward with Tomas and Judge? It would ensure we move forward with two young power bats for the middle of the order. Tomas could play every OF spot + 3B; Judge can play RF and could probably learn to play left. Both could also serve as DH. So there's versatility/interchangeability here with these two. A-Rod and Teixeira are clearly on the decline. So is Beltran who won't even be here after next season. If we went out and grabbed this kid Tomas (again, if he's as good as advertised, say a 25+ HR guy every year, $100mm over 10 years seems very reasonable to me, and it might not even take that much -- it might only take an 8 or 9 year deal. His agent's been talking him up a lot lately, saying he's got more power than Jose Abreu: http://nesn.com/2014/11/agent-yasmany-tomas-has-a-lot-more-power-than-white-soxs-jose-abreu/). Put Tomas together with Aaron Judge, Pirela, Refsnyder, Greg Bird within the next yr or two (MVP of the Arizona Fall League--shaping up to be a major 1B prospect)...that's a nice core of youngsters we can feature for years to come and eventually replace our older guys with.

Finestrg

11/21/2014  5:09 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/23/2014  10:27 PM
I see we just made a few moves leading up to the Rule 5 draft: we added 5 players to the 40-man and sold the salary of Zelous Wheeler to a Japanese team. Cash calling all the moves "layups." I really hope they know what they did letting Wheeler go. I liked that kid -- thought he provided nice depth at 3rd. Really upset about losing this guy, the more I think about it. He was only 27, he provided good infield depth at 3rd, short & 2B (all positions in flux/positions of need), even RF, and he can hit (hit .296 with a .367 OB%, 25 doubles, and 9 HRs in 304 ABs last yr at AAA Scranton. That's excellent. .275 lifetime minor league BA in just under 3000 ABs. I see some wanna judge this kid on what he did in the majors last year in only 57 ABs. Huh? That's ridiculous -- that ain't no sample size, come on)...Now we have one less option over there. What if A-Rod can't play the field anymore? What if Chase Headley wants too much money or signs with another team? Hopefully they had something in place with Headley before they jettisoned Wheeler. If not, I bet the price tag just went up...So far haven't heard anything about Headley. And even if Headley returns, what's the number?? I really didn't want to overpay for that guy. I really wanted to use the money on other players, starting with Robertson. I mean can you imagine -- we overspend on Headley now and have no money left to bring D-Rob back, to add an impact bat or upgrade the rotation?? With the way Hal values having a budget in place, it could happen. I thought we would've been OK at 3rd with Prado backed up by Wheeler (maybe even some Jose Pirela) and then whatever A-Rod can give us at 3rd would be gravy.. In that scenario, there would've be no need for Headley. Now we'll probably have to overspend for Headley. Pisses me off. Wheeler's a guy we should've held onto.
Finestrg

11/25/2014  2:59 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/25/2014  4:14 PM
So the Sox get Sandoval & Ramirez. Good for them. That's OK---two nice additions (with a load of question marks btw) but I wasn't focused on either guy for the Yankees. Hopefully this lights a fire under Hal, Cash & company to start being a little more aggressive this off-season. I understand it's still early in the process but I'd like to see us counter these moves with some of our own. There are moves that need to be made regardless of what Boston just did. I also understand we spent a lot of money last year but this team has obvious holes to plug. We can go with some youth in a few spots to keep costs down but overall I see no way around spending some more money to shore up certain areas moving forward. I still feel we need to make a couple of significant moves to keep pace and challenge for a playoff spot:

• What's everyone's take on Yoan Moncada? 19-year-old Cuban defector that's supposedly a 5-tool player and has versatility to play all over the infield. Natural position is SS...I don't know too much about him -- Can he play SS full-time or will he need some seasoning in AA or AAA right away (which would be OK with me)... He looks like the real deal. People are saying he's a can't miss...What's the price tag though? Do we go after this kid even if he's beyond our budget? Yeah, maybe. It's not my money and easy for me to say, but provided Moncada's the real deal (the Yankees have scouted him extensively), I think maybe we pull the trigger and take a shot here. We certainly have the need. Maybe we grab him, allow him some time to adjust in AAA, and lock it down with Ryan/Pirela in the meantime until he's ready.

• Resign D-Rob. I think keeping the bullpen a major strength is very important. With the lefty enhancements we've made (Wilson/De Paula and let's not forget Lindgren and Tyler Webb knocking on the door --- I feel strong enough about these lefties collectively all of a sudden to switch focus off signing Andrew Miller), some surprises along the way (Burawa, Pinder, Jose Ramirez?), to go together with whatever holdovers we still have on the roster (Warren, Rogers, Kelley)---with D-Rob and Betances anchoring the back end---that's an AWESOME bullpen, one of baseball's best. Better than last year's and last year's was pretty damn good.

• Sign Yasmani Tomas AND Yoan Moncada each to long-term deals. Take the shot...Believe Tomas might be a 25 HR guy year after year give or take, a guy that's being mentioned in the same breath as Abreu, Cespedes & Puig (Tomas' agent is saying he has more power than Abreu), and that this kid Moncada will be the real deal after some initial seasoning. Moncada makes even more sense when you start hearing Scott Boras popping off about how Stephen Drew just had an off-year and deserves to get paid. I like Drew and would welcome him back but definitely not at Boras money, not off the year he just had. That'd be crazy. At that point, why not just invest in this kid Moncada?

• I suppose we get involved for Headley here but at what cost? The Giants, now that they lost Sandoval, are said to be big players for Headley's services. Last thing I wanted to do was get involved in a bidding war for this guy...I'm tellin' ya---too bad we didn't keep Zelous Wheeler. I would've been OK with Prado/Wheeler at 3rd and letting Headley walk...Does anyone really wanna give Headley 4 years/$48mm, 5 years/$60mm, maybe even more than that? I don't. Not with the other things I feel we need to do. Might have to now...Maybe we come up with a 3rd basemen in the Rule 5 draft, someone better than Wheeler. We'll see..

After that, infuse with more of our own youth whenever these young men are ready: Refsnyder, Judge, Bird, Severino, Mitchell, Banuelos, Turley, Clarkin, etc., and give it time to gel. That's what I'd do.

Hector
Member: #4483

12/9/2014  11:00 AM
I kind of glad Bettances will be the closer next year if it works out they way.

It should be very interesting. Roberston was good but he'll break down some more next season at the worst time.

[quote="jrodmc"] Melo is stupid. [/quote]
Finestrg

12/9/2014  2:11 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/9/2014  2:46 PM
Bottom line -- I think they like Miller's arm/stuff a little better than Robertson's. I can certainly see that---that's basically how I feel and I LOVE Robertson! Miller sits 95 consistently with a real wipeout slider whereas D-Rob's may occasionally hit 94 with his heater early on in the season but always seems to lose steam by the end of the year where he ends up in the 89-92 range. Happens with D-Rob every year so far if you watch closely. Don't get me wrong, D-Rob's overall arsenal is still first rate but I still feel this small concern may have played a part. Also, we got Miller for 4 years/$36mm. Robertson's still asking for "Papelbon money," 4 years/$50mm. To get a comparable or even better frontline reliever for $12mm less is great value by comparison.. Miller's damn good -- a lefty capable of getting out both righties and lefties. Dude's not some specialist but a real weapon out there. And then there's the draft pick -- if and when D-Rob signs with someone else, we'll recover a draft pick as compensation. The Yanks played this perfectly. We'll see -- maybe we can get D-Rob back if his asking price drops some and becomes more realistic. Miller, D-Rob and Betances would be an awesome 3-headed monster in the bullpen.

Not sure what to make of the Didi Gregorius move. The jury's obviously still out. I don't know too much about him other than few video clips I've seen and what I read. He's young which is nice & he's supposedly a real good defender at short--a young player with some good overall upside. They're saying the bat isn't anywhere near as good as his glove yet but he's still developing. From what I can tell, it looks like he's got a real lively left-handed swing with a little pop. I betcha they think that with the short porch in RF at the Stadium, he could develop into a 10-15 HR guy. That very well could be. Although he wasn't a big stolen base guy in the minors he looks very quick and agile to me -- maybe stealing bases is something that he can add to his game eventually. I'll have to watch him over a few week stretch everyday to get a feel for what type of player he is. I know I really liked Shane Greene, esp. as part of a rotation with so many question marks. I guess they felt they had a shot to get a young everyday SS with good promise where they could easily turn around and fill Greene's rotation spot, either internally with a guy like Adam Warren or Bryan Mitchell, maybe with a youngster like Luis Severino or Nik Turley or maybe we do bring back a Brandon MacCarty if the price is right. A Max Scherzer signing would surely clear up a lot of concerns about the rotation. Interesting bit of info I saw the other day on Yankees Hot Stove -- between Scherzer, Lester and Shields, the 3 big starters on the market, Scherzer's thrown something like 9000 less pitches than either of those guys. Scherzer and Lester are both 30 I believe; Shields might be 32-33 years old. Trying to say that there's a lot less wear on Scherzer's tires so to speak compared to the other two. I thought that was interesting, definitely something to consider when making a decision who to give big money to. Based on that, I'd definitely feel more comfortable breaking the bank for Scherzer over Lester. 9000 pitches could be something close to 3 full seasons less on a starting pitcher's arm. See what happens..

I still feel the same way about 3rd base. Not that high on bringing Headley back, esp. if it's for something like $65mm. That's crazy. Let the Giants have him for that type of money. A-Rod's an enigma that can't be counted on or penciled in for anything other than the DH spot (maybe) but we have Martin Prado who can play 3rd. I'd rather see Prado at 3rd and Refsnyder and Pirela at 2B -- if we overpay for Headley, Prado will wind up playing 2B and Refsnyder and Pirela will be held back. I don't wanna see that -- I want Ref and Pirela in there contributing. Too bad again about letting Zelous Wheeler go -- I still don't understand that move for the life of me. I know most people weren't that high on him but I really liked him. Strong/stocky hardnosed player, played a nice 3B & he was a good hitter in the minors (which I believe would've translated over to the majors eventually -- you can't go by the 57 ABs he had with the Yanks last year. That's not a big enough sample size to determine anything. Even still, I liked how he played when we called him up. Looked like he belonged to me). Played quite a few positions actually -- 3B, SS, 2B, OF -- it would've been good to have that type of versatility. With the lack of depth at 3B (and all around the infield basically), I think he was worth keeping around, esp. for the amount of money he was making. I think you can make a case that Wheeler may even have been a better infield prospect over this kid Gregorius...Small miscalculation on Cash's part imho but we'll have to move on and keep forging ahead.

Hector
Member: #4483

12/9/2014  2:54 PM
I see you called that miller option above in a post at he top of the page - good job!
[quote="jrodmc"] Melo is stupid. [/quote]
Finestrg

12/9/2014  3:35 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/10/2014  8:10 AM
Hector wrote:I see you called that miller option above in a post at he top of the page - good job!

Pleasantly surprised. You know, I didn't think they'd go after Miller after they traded for Justin Wilson & acquired Jose De Paula. Plus a lot of people feel Jacob Lindgren and Tyler Webb are 2 top minor league lefty relievers that are ready for the big time. That's 4 legit lefty arms for the pen. Much improved from where we've been in the pen from the left side with crap like Matt Thornton/Cesar Cabral then guys like Rich Hill, David Huff, Josh Outman, Wade LeBlanc, a washed up Jeff Francis, etc...But we just got even better, deeper and more versatile with Miller. It'd be great to have both but we're no worse for the wear with Miller over Robertson. It might even be an upgrade. Great pickup.

Another guy I might look to get on the cheap right now -- Alexi Ogando. Non-tendered by the Rangers about a week ago. He's always had plus stuff and big-time versatility to either start or pitch in relief. If he's healthy (big "if" -- just reading about all his arm troubles the past couple of years including elbow problems last year), I might take a shot here on a 1-yr deal. Maybe even a minor league make-good deal. With Greene gone, Nova out until mid summer, Kuroda and McCarthy are FAs and may not be back, he could fill an immediate spot in our rotation --OR-- he could prove to be a better option from the right side in the bullpen over guys like Preston Claiborne, Esmil Rogers, etc...I probably like him best as a starter for us. We probably have more of a need for a rotation arm at this point. Dude would come a hell of a lot cheaper than McCarthy, Kuroda or whatever other 2nd tier starter that might be out there. Even if we got Ogando and had to rehab him if he isn't ready to start the season, I think he makes some sense.

Manny Banuelos is a guy I forgot to mention before regarding the rotation -- if he's healthy, ready to be stretched out & throw more innings than last year and the velocity's back up in the 93-95 range, I think he's a legit candidate to start for us. Can't wait for spring training. So many youngsters of ours I wanna see play.

Finestrg

12/12/2014  10:11 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/12/2014  10:23 AM
Not the sexiest ideas, I understand, but some realistic alternatives to giving Scherzer 10 years/$200mm (which is crazy, even for a guy that's thrown something like 9000 less pitches lifetime than Lester) and to upgrade the rotation:

(1) Go the low risk/high reward route with two guys: Alexi Ogando and Brandon Morrow. If these guys are healthy and we could get them at a good price (distinct possibility), they both have high end stuff and could help out immediately. Just looking over their injuries, sure there are question marks but no more than Tanaka's elbow or CC's knee/overall regression. You could agrue there are less question marks in fact. I think you can make a case that Tanaka's elbow might be a bigger question mark than Ogando's (Tanaka had--still has?--a small tear in his elbow ligament and will attempt to pitch with it; Ogando was shut down early on last year with "elbow soreness" with an MRI revealing "acute inflammation" that the Rangers attributed to nothing more than normal wear & tear. Morrow's had a weird variety of injuries over the past couple of years (a strained left oblique which he recovered from, forearm nerve pain which he recovered from (MRI revealed only inflammation, no structural damage), and a torn tendon in his right hand which he recovered from and made it back by the end of last season. Bottom line with both guys -- no severe shoulder or elbow injuries to speak off. No rotator cuff/Tommy John surgeries...Look at guys like Medlen and Beachy by comparison -- both of those guys are coming off their 2nd TJ surgeries. 2 apiece! I think we should take a shot here on both. Both guys are only in the 30-31 year old range and have had substaintial periods of rest/recovery over the last couple of years (as far as pitches thrown/time off goes). I think both could be primed for a comeback. I'd target both -- even if only one guy panned out and helped us bridge the gap back to Ivan Nova later in the summer...Best case -- we grab both on the cheap and they each go on to have impact years (say each win 15+ ballgames). These two have Brian Cashman written all over them -- we know how Cash likes both guys with high-end stuff and reclamation projects.

(2) Go with Esmil Rogers as a full-time starter right from the beginning of ST. Stretch him out to the point where he's capable of going 90-100 pitches by the end of ST/mid-late April. Like Ogando, Rogers has been one of these versatile pitchers that can either start or pitch in relief. Dude's got pretty good stuff -- when he's right, he hits 95 on the gun with a decent breaking ball and changeup. We could do a lot worse.

(3) Start to incorporate/establish some of our own top minor league starters -- Severino, Banuelos, Mitchell, Nik Turley (you don't hear much about this guy--big, strong lefty that appears to throw hard enough and he has a great curveball), etc..

(4) Maybe look to pull off another Pineda trade -- target guys like Danny Salazar (I personally think this guy's got 'stud' written all over him--I like the fact that he hasn't done much so far--makes me think we might have a shot to get him), Chris Archer, Roenis Elias, Jordan Zimmermann (FA after this upcoming season but I was reading Wash. may be willing to deal him), etc... Ideally I'd like to use Gary Sanchez and Tyler Austin as my primary trading chips and hold onto guys like Bird, Judge, Refsnyder but anyone's on the table in the right scenario.

(5) Wait it out and see if we can get a better deal on a FA pitcher next year -- Johnny Cueto, David Price, Zimmermann (if he makes it to FA), Matt Latos, Jhoulys Chacin (if his shoulder's OK -- bad year last year but the year before he was good and kept the ball in the park (only 11 HRs in 197 IP), a real accomplishment considering half his starts came at Coors Field), Ross Detwiler (I see he was just dealt to the Rangers and will be converted back to being a starter. Let's see what kind of year he has for Texas -- starters that throw 95 don't grow on trees).

TripleThreat
Member: #3997

12/12/2014  8:05 PM
Not sure how I feel about Miller. Sure he's pitched in the AL East, but Robertson was battle tested in the NY limelight, which not all players can survive. Paying top dollar for relievers,I just personally don't believe it's a great idea. ( Mariano Rivera being the exception)

Something interesting that's developed over the past few years is team building strategies.

Oakland A's - Look for market inefficiencies but don't over value prospects. It almost operates as a "Let's see what that backup QB can give us" Guys like Vogt, Donaldson, Moss, etc, they were fringe guys on other teams.

SF Giants - Deeply invest your whole organization in pitching, and piecemeal your hitting.

Chicago Cubs - Build offense through the draft, as hitting is such a desirable commodity in the non Juice ball era, and import in pitchers from other organizations.

St Louis Cardinals - Emphasize stability across the organization above all else. Build internally first and foremost. Don't be married to one philosophy ( almost Belichick like)

The problem I see with the Yankees is that they pay for past performance and have to eat, and eat badly, a lot of player's decline phases. One thing I remember from seeing a George Lucas interview is something he said, that if he built his own studio essentially because when he was making Jedi, that there was the "regular price" and then the "Star Wars price" meaning everyone tried to gouge him because they felt he had unlimited coffers from Star Wars.

A lot of the mechanisms where the Yankees has past advantages are gone (there are changes in bidding for international players, how signing bonuses work, competitive balancing picks, compensation picks, revenue sharing issues, it takes a lot of the bite that NY used to have)

Losing Peter O'Brien IMHO was just brutal. There is such a premium on young power these days. I almost wish the Yankees would follow the Cubs model. Premium pitching will always cost, no matter the league structure (even the cheap skate A's had to fork over a bit , well for them, to sign Kazmir) but it's time for the Yanks to invest more in internally develop their own hitting. Overpaying free agents for their decline phases, it just kills the team for the short and long haul.

Finestrg

12/17/2014  9:07 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/17/2014  10:10 AM
Very strange offseason to say the least. I can't say I agree with much that they've done so far. They just haven't been bold enough for my liking.

I actually like the Andrew Miller signing. That one I kinda agree with. I would've loved to have had both Robertson and Miller but can see the logic in going with just Miller. They saved $10mm total going with Miller over Robertson (each got 4-yr deals), two comparable late-inning relievers that are the same age (29), we recovered a draft pick for D-Rob when he signed with Chicago, we have 2 promising young right-handed relievers ready to replace D-Rob (Burawa, Pinder), and I like the fact that Miller's left-handed. I'm OK here..

Everything else just hasn't been bold enough thus far and there's been some misappropriation of money imo. I gotta question their thinking in a lot of areas:

Why give Headley all that money to play 3rd when we already had Prado under contract and even had Zelous Wheeler at one point? I mean Prado/Wheeler could've played 3rd and Refsnyder/Pirela could've locked down 2nd. That wouldn't have worked? Why not?? Now we're looking at a bit of an overpay to bring back Headley and these 2 promising young kids get squeezed out at 2B in favor of Prado. And then flip side -- Headley came about a week before we got Prado last year. Did we really need Prado? We already landed a legit third baseman in Headley and had Refsnyder and Pirela both ready to take over 2nd (Pirela may already have been called up at that point). Why the move for Prado then? Why not keep Pete O'Brien and continue developing him?

And back to Wheeler for a sec--why jettison Zelous Wheeler?? I keep coming back to this. Dude was a nice salary-controlled talent, a guy that proved he could play in the minors, that we unloaded for basically nothing when we had so much uncertainty surrounding 3rd pre Headley resigning (and suppose Headley signed somewhere else? Then what? No guarantee Headley was coming back when we cut Wheeler)? How do you let quality cheap, relatively young depth like Wheeler just walk out the door like that?? It just wasn't a sound baseball decision.

Why trade Shane Greene, our best starting pitcher after Tanaka went down last year, for a mystery SS who's no sure thing when we have such gapping holes in the rotation and there were good shortstops available in FA? Why not maximize the situation and have your cake and it eat it too? Why not grab one of those guys and keep Greene?

Why not be bold and get in on one of these projected high-end foreign shortstops like this Cuban kid Yoan Moncada or Jung-Ho Kang from S. Korea, knowing we need a SS and have the money?? Someone explain to me how the plan wasn't to go after one of these guys and keep Shane Greene?!?!?

Why not go after a promising power bat like Yasmani Tomas knowing our middle of the order stunk last year and features 3 players clearly on the decline (A-Rod, Teixeira and Beltran)? Can you imagine a middle of the order that could've eventually featured Rob Refsnyder, Aaron Judge, Yasmani Tomas, Greg Bird when he's ready, Brian McCann, maybe even Pete O'Brien if we turned down the Martin Prado trade (assuming Headley at 3rd), Jung-Ho Kang, etc.? I mean with Gardy and Ellsbury at the top 1 & 2 table-setting, that lineup could've been straight up MURDER. And young for the most part...How was this not conceptualized and made into a reality???

Why didn't we go after Brandon Morrow? The Padres got Morrow for a song -- 1-yr/$2.5mm. Instead, we bring back Chris Capuano for double the money (1-y/$5mm). As long as Morrow's healthy, and it looks like he is, you can't even compare the two. Morrow's stuff is much better--potential #1/#2 type stuff. Front-end of the rotation stuff all the way if he remains healthy. Why not take the shot here? I thought Cash liked reclamation projects (Jon Lieber, Andrew Bailey)? Morrow's not even a reclamation project like those two per say -- there's no year-long recovery period to go through. All indications are that Morrow's healthy & ready to go. If it didn't work out, for the amount of money we're talking, you cut Morrow and move on. It's a gamble worth taking given the money & our situation. Guys like Chris Capuano are easy to find; guys like Morrow that throw 95-98 don't grow on trees. That's the difference. I look at Alexi Ogando the same way I look at Morrow -- provided he's healthy, Ogando = a high-end stuff guy that's only 30 and worth taking a chance on if we can get him cheap. Hopefully we get in on Ogando. In the meantime, missed opportunity not signing Morrow imo. Oh well..

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

12/19/2014  1:44 PM
Yanks are trading Prado and Phil for miamis Eovaldi and garrett Jones
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

12/19/2014  1:52 PM
I enjoy reading everyone's in depth analysis on baseball. I'm not as crazy as some of you but I do follow the sport.

as far as the Yankees....I personally like everything they are doing. They are trying to get back in the playoff mix. I think they will be back next year. The team should be healthy and young enough to mix in with the vets we have. Chemistry need to come together and I think it will next season.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Finestrg

12/21/2014  10:07 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/21/2014  1:02 PM
EnySpree wrote:I enjoy reading everyone's in depth analysis on baseball. I'm not as crazy as some of you but I do follow the sport.

as far as the Yankees....I personally like everything they are doing. They are trying to get back in the playoff mix. I think they will be back next year. The team should be healthy and young enough to mix in with the vets we have. Chemistry need to come together and I think it will next season.

You know you might be right. It has come together nicely. I tend to overreact if my teams don't do exactly what I'm calling for, if they pass on certain things that could help, etc., but all in all, we've made some improvements, there's no doubt. I couldn't really see overspending on Headley when we had Prado under contract who could man 3rd, but now that we flipped Prado for other pieces, the Headley signing makes much more sense to me. And even though I would've preferred to take a gamble on some pitchers with more high-end stuff even if there are injury concerns (Brandon Morrow, Alexi Ogando -- the Padres got Morrow and Ogando's still out there I believe), bringing Capuano back wasn't terrible. At least we're staying away from Scherzer at this point which is 100% the right move -- that price tag's way too high, absurdly so. My biggest thing has been a reluctance to beef up the middle of the order and we had opportunities to do so -- imagine if we signed Yasmany Tomas and Jung-Ho Kang? Two signings that could've improved this lineup up to elite status imo -- we wouldn't have had to trade anyone, not even give up any picks, and we would've added the SS that we needed & kept Shane Greene. Oh well...We didn't do it like that so it's time to move on.

This latest trade was on point though and I gotta give Cash credit. It's exactly what I wanted to see -- I was calling for them to trade for a young power pitcher with promise much like they did with Pineda--someone like a Danny Salazar (was thinking about maybe taking back Nick Swisher's salary to make that happen), a Chris Archer, etc.--and he did just that and then some. This dude Eovaldi is exactly what we needed. A young power starter who still has upside. Dude hits upper 90s routinely and he takes the ball. I don't wanna hear how he doesn't strike out a ton of guys and gave up a ton of hits. So did Andy Pettitte, right? On both counts.. Let's see what we can do with this guy. Maybe the Yankees see an opportunity to tweak his delivery and/or add to/alter his arsenal. How'd that work out with Brandon McCarty?? We did wonders straightening that guy out and now he got himself almost $50mm from the Dodgers...Eovaldi looks like a real work horse, a 200-innings guy that definitely passes the eye test, just looking over some video. And then we get back a very decent first baseman with pop and a solid glove (good move--we all know Tex ain't holding up over a full season--if Tex gives us 400 ABs, I'll be shocked--this guy Jones is a legit everyday first baseman who could fill in nicely -- Jones could also provide some ABs at DH) and then we get a promising young A ball pitcher who supposedly throws smoke. All for Prado who quickly became expendable (Prado grew on me, he was versatile and a gamer, but essentially a veteran guy with nowhere to play -- Headley's gonna lock down 3rd and I want the kids Refsnyder and Pirela playing 2nd. Apparently the Yankees do too. Pirela's mainly a 2nd baseman but he might wind up being our super sub who can hit and play all over), and Phelps who, let's face it, is nothing more than a long man/fill in starter. Vey good trade imo. Bravo!

Finestrg

2/19/2015  10:08 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/19/2015  4:01 PM
We're about to start this year's marathon -- pitchers and catchers report tomorrow! Thank Christ. Couldn't have come soon enough..

A decent off-season overall for the Yanks but to be honest, I didn't care for the Manny Banuelos trade at all. That deal continues to leave a bad taste in my mouth. Just felt unnecessary. One of those where the best deal there was not to make it. First off--I may be proven wrong over time but as of right now, we didn't really need the 2 bullpen pieces we got back from ATL--David Carpenter and Chasen Shreve. We've already had a slew of power options from both sides in the bullpen leading up to our 2 dominant backend guys, Miller & Betances. I know Banuelos was just coming off TJ surgery (he did make it back successfully though, right--throwing 93-94 last year? Just checking..) and he was experiencing some control issues, but come on man -- a 23-year-old lefty starter that hits 95 with a great assortment of off-speed pitches and we just give up on him like that? Knowing damn well we may need rotation help going in? Made no sense to me at all but we'll see..

Another small criticism -- again, knowing the rotation problems we may experience going in, we couldn't have grabbed Brandon Morrow and/or Alexi Ogando? The Padres grabbed Morrow and Boston signed Ogando -- $1.5mm apiece. Talk about a bargain...I know there are some issues with both guys but even if say only one of the 2 panned out -- you're talking about 2 guys with real high-end stuff (95+ MPH). I wish we had these 2 to fall back on instead of Chris Capuano, a guy we gave $5mm to by comparison...Surprised Cash wasn't in on either of these guys, considering he's gone after rehab types before (Jon Lieber, Andrew Bailey). These 2 guys aren't even that bad--all indications are Morrow and Ogando are ready to go to start ST.

Other than that, we had a decent off-season. Even addition by subtraction moves where we moved Martin Prado (hardly knew ya) for a young power arm that hits 99 mph, legit backup 1B depth, a potential jewel in minor league fireballer Domingo German AND we made room for Rob Refsnyder/Jose Pirela at 2b. A buddy of mine wasn't feeling it but I love that trade...Can't wait to get rolling here! Also looks like we're serious about signing this young Cuban SS Yoan Moncada. Read we just had him in for another secret workout and we've been working him out at multiple positions. Great. If he's the real deal, why not?

Yankees Talk thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy