Yankees Talk thread
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/10/2007  7:05 AM
Posted by islesfan:

Cleveland beat Anaheim again tonight. I'd love to see the Indians finish with a better record than the Angels. Let the Red Sox fly cross country to play the Angels in the first rd. I'd rather take my chances with Cleveland.

The Indians are just a game behind the Angels now.

Agreed. We're actually only 2 and 3 games behind Cle and Anaheim.
AUTOADVERT
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
9/10/2007  7:12 AM
Pretty important day off today. Some of the guys, especially Jeter, need the rest. It's kind of worrisome if he's experiencing knee stiffness. Hopefully it's just a bruise of some sort.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
9/10/2007  1:57 PM
lead is either going to be a 5 or 6 game deficit after today based on the tampa/boston outcome.

so the final, feeble, and less than 1% chance of vying for the division will be decided this week.

pitching matchups:

hughes vs. marcum
mussina vs. mcgowan
kennedy vs. burnett

pettite vs. dice-k
wang vs. beckett
hughes vs. schilling

yanks must go 5-1, and the only loss must come against toronto.

but with the yanks done vs. detroit and seattle, it looks like the wildcard is safe.
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
9/10/2007  2:01 PM
No Halladay this week and Bedard got shut down with 2 series left against Baltimore.

I'll take all the help we can get.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
islesfan
9/10/2007  2:07 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

lead is either going to be a 5 or 6 game deficit after today based on the tampa/boston outcome.

so the final, feeble, and less than 1% chance of vying for the division will be decided this week.

pitching matchups:

hughes vs. marcum
mussina vs. mcgowan
kennedy vs. burnett

pettite vs. dice-k
wang vs. beckett
hughes vs. schilling

but with the yanks done vs. detroit and seattle, it looks like the wildcard is safe.

I don't know why but the year we lose the division to Boston, I'm even more confident against them. If they face each other in the ALCS, there's no doubt in my mind we get to the World Series.

Dice-K is shot and we handled him pretty well even when he was pitching well. The way he's pitching now, I'd be surprised if he pitched into the 5th inning on Friday.

Beckett still doesn't worry me and Schilling is done. I'd be more worried about facing Lester and Wakefield at this point.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
9/10/2007  3:32 PM
Posted by islesfan:
Posted by djsunyc:

pitching matchups:

hughes vs. marcum
mussina vs. mcgowan
kennedy vs. burnett

pettite vs. dice-k
wang vs. beckett
hughes vs. schilling

I don't know why but the year we lose the division to Boston, I'm even more confident against them. If they face each other in the ALCS, there's no doubt in my mind we get to the World Series.

Dice-K is shot and we handled him pretty well even when he was pitching well. The way he's pitching now, I'd be surprised if he pitched into the 5th inning on Friday.

Beckett still doesn't worry me and Schilling is done. I'd be more worried about facing Lester and Wakefield at this point.

well isle, as a yankee fan we know how hard it is to win as the frontruner and the team that is expected to win, that is why those titles we won in the 90's and 2000 was so impressive, Boston now has the pressure of not blowing it all, and we will see how they handle being the hunted... I am confident about this team and I feel that A-rod will have a big post season...

[Edited by - tkf on 10-09-2007 3:32 PM]
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
djsunyc
9/10/2007  3:36 PM
dice-k = hideki irabu
djsunyc
9/10/2007  3:52 PM
• Jeremy Bonderman may be out for the season, after trying one more time to pitch with a bad elbow. Within that Jon Paul Morosi story, Bonderman says the possibilities of what is going on with his elbow make him sick.

another piece of evidence to defend joba rules.
djsunyc
9/10/2007  4:00 PM
arod is definitely the yanks mvp. he basically carried the offense before the all star break.

but what about wang? the yanks were 10+ games under .500, yet he was 9-4 the 1st half of the year. should he get some mvp of the yankees votes?
kam77
Alba Posts: 25
Member: #634
9/10/2007  5:16 PM
How many starts did Wang miss in April... and does that help or hurt his case?
lol @ being BANNED by Martin since 11/07/10 (for asking if Mr. Earl had a point). Really, Martin? C'mon. This is the internet. I've seen much worse on this site. By Earl himself. Drop the hypocrisy.
djsunyc
9/10/2007  5:16 PM
Posted by kam77:

How many starts did Wang miss in April... and does that help or hurt his case?

he missed 3+ weeks, so we're looking at about 4 starts.
kam77
Alba Posts: 25
Member: #634
9/10/2007  5:24 PM
Hard to be an MVP if you missed a significant portion of the year. Thats what.. 10-12% of his total possible starts and possibly a major reason we got off to the slow start. And the slow start is why we're going to have to settle for the WC.

This year its gotta be Arod. Honorable mention out to Jorge Posada too.
lol @ being BANNED by Martin since 11/07/10 (for asking if Mr. Earl had a point). Really, Martin? C'mon. This is the internet. I've seen much worse on this site. By Earl himself. Drop the hypocrisy.
djsunyc
9/10/2007  5:27 PM
Posted by kam77:

Hard to be an MVP if you missed a significant portion of the year. Thats what.. 10-12% of his total possible starts and possibly a major reason we got off to the slow start. And the slow start is why we're going to have to settle for the WC.

posada = SHOW ME DA MONEY!!!
djsunyc
9/10/2007  5:28 PM
Posted by kam77:

i agree arod is the mvp BUT, if no wang, with his 3 ERA the 1st half of the year, that's 9 wins - we could've been down 5 more games.

i don't think pitchers should be mvp's since they only play once very 5 days but i would say he's 2nd on my yankee mvp voting.
Bonn1997
USA
9/10/2007  6:09 PM
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by kam77:

i agree arod is the mvp BUT, if no wang, with his 3 ERA the 1st half of the year, that's 9 wins - we could've been down 5 more games.

i don't think pitchers should be mvp's since they only play once very 5 days but i would say he's 2nd on my yankee mvp voting.

I think Posada is just one small notch below A-Rod. The numbers he's putting up as a catcher are really AMAZING. If we didn't have A-Rod, we could still replace him with a .300 hitting 25 HR 3rd baseman. That is a huge downgrade from A-Rod. But if we didn't have Posada, most catchers hit around .240 with no power.
djsunyc
9/10/2007  8:38 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by kam77:

I think Posada is just one small notch below A-Rod. The numbers he's putting up as a catcher are really AMAZING. If we didn't have A-Rod, we could still replace him with a .300 hitting 25 HR 3rd baseman. That is a huge downgrade from A-Rod. But if we didn't have Posada, most catchers hit around .240 with no power.

it's a tough call but it seems that hitters benefit in the lineup from the guys in front and behind them (and the yankee lineup is probably the best in baseball 1 through 9). and a pitcher does benefit from his lineup but with an era in the 3's in th AL tells me he didn't need THAT much run support.
Bonn1997
USA
9/10/2007  8:47 PM
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by kam77:

it's a tough call but it seems that hitters benefit in the lineup from the guys in front and behind them (and the yankee lineup is probably the best in baseball 1 through 9). and a pitcher does benefit from his lineup but with an era in the 3's in th AL tells me he didn't need THAT much run support.

Yeah, I do put A-Rod ahead of Posada in importance but probably not by the margin most people do. I think Posada deserves much more praise. I mean, he is practically NEVER on ESPN highlights or any other show's highlights. A-Rod gets daily ESPN segments!
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
9/11/2007  12:43 AM
ARod is unequivacobly the MVP this season... no if's and's or butt's about it.

come on, this is an historical season he's having & if not for him this team wouldn't even be sniffing a playoff berth this year... this is the first time in history that any player has ever hit 50+ HR's, driven in 140+ runs, scored 130+ runs & stolen 20+ bases... if that's not an MVP i don't know what is.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
islesfan
9/11/2007  12:54 AM
Posted by TMS:

ARod is unequivacobly the MVP this season... no if's and's or butt's about it.

come on, this is an historical season he's having & if not for him this team wouldn't even be sniffing a playoff berth this year... this is the first time in history that any player has ever hit 50+ HR's, driven in 140+ runs, scored 130+ runs & stolen 20+ bases... if that's not an MVP i don't know what is.

I don't think anybody is arguing that ARod isn't the MVP. I think people are just giving well deserved props to Wang and Posada. I think Pettitte deserves some props as well. He's been the money pitcher that he's always been for us. And Jeter has been Jeter and Mo has been Mo after a rough start due to inactivity. It's so easy taking those guys for granted.
islesfan
9/11/2007  11:48 AM
Posted by djsunyc:

dice-k = hideki irabu

Hideki Irabu's first full season
13-9 4.06 ERA 173 Innings

Dice-K's first season so far
14-12 4.44 ERA 184 Innings
Yankees Talk thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy