Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/16/2003  11:06 AM
Following in Ginobili's footsteps
by cford

Here's a sneak peek at five more international players who could have a Ginobili-like impact in the NBA next season.

1. Dejan Bodiroga, SF, Yugoslavia
The line: 6-8, 230, 29-year-old. Drafted No. 51 by the Kings in the 1995 NBA Draft
The skinny: The Euroleague MVP for the second straight year, Bodiroga has shrugged off offers from NBA teams in the past. Both the Rockets and Raptors were willing to trade for his rights last season, but neither team was willing to pony up the cash it would take to bring him here. With a second straight Euroleague championship under his belt, is this the year Bodiroga decides to play in the NBA? He's under contract one more year with Barcelona, but he can get out of it in the right situation. He'd be a great fit on a team like the Lakers. Is there any team willing to pay the price to find out? He'd probably command close to the full-mid level exception to play in the U.S.

2. Nenad Krstic, C, Yugoslavia
The line: 7-0, 245, 20-year-old. Drafted No. 26 by the Nets in the 2002 NBA Draft
The skinny: Last year, Krstic was a skinny back-up center on Partizan who drew some comparison to Vlade Divac. The Nets left him in Europe for a year to develop and it's paid off big time. This year, his game has exploded. He's bulked up, grown an inch and become a big-time center in Europe. If he had waited a year to put his name in the draft, he'd be a sure-fire lottery pick this year. That's great news for the Nets. With Dikembe Mutombo looking cooked, he could become a major addition to the Nets next season.

3. Milos Vujanic, PG, Yugoslavia
The line: 6-3, 195, 23-year-old. Drafted No. 36 by the Knicks in the 2002 NBA Draft
The skinny: Vujanic was the top point guard in Europe last year and the leading scorer in the Euroleague. How did he slip all the way to 36 in the NBA draft? He didn't have a U.S. agent and didn't come to America for workouts. The result was that the Knicks may have gotten the steal of the draft. There are reports that Vujanic won't play for the Knicks this season, but will instead go to the Euroleague champion F.C. Barcelona club this year. However, like everything in Europe, no one knows for sure if this is actually done. Vujanic is still under contract until his team is eliminated from the playoffs and can't officially sign a deal until then. In the meantime expect Divac, a co-owner of the team, to convince Vujanic to play in the U.S. He's ready to come over and could make a big impact on the Knicks this season.

4. Ognjen Askrabic, F, Yugoslavia
The line: 6-9, 245, 24-year-old. Undrafted.
The skinny: Askrabic is one of the best players in Yugoslavia who hasn't come to the U.S. The Mavericks wooed Askrabic last year, but he couldn't get out of his contract. This year he's a free agent and the bidding should be fierce. Numerous NBA teams have come to Belgrade to check out his game. In the Yugoslavian league, Askrabic has consistently ranked in the top five in scoring, rebounding, assists and blocked shots all season. Some wonder whether he's a bit of a tweener for the pro game. He doesn't have the quickness to guard 3s and may not be strong enough or big enough to guard fours. However, someone will give him a look.

5. Darius Songaila, Lithuania
The line: 6-9, 248, 26-year-old. Drafted No. 50 by the Celtics in the 2002 NBA Draft
The skinny: Songaila has been a big-time performer on CSKA Moscow, one of the best teams in the Euroleague this season. He's tough, versatile and now he's battle tested. Songaila averaged 14.5 ppg during the Euroleague Final Four. Celtics GM Chris Wallace told Insider that the Celtics would like to bring him back over this summer. With new ownership, the team should be able to afford to sign Songaila to a reasonable deal. He could give the Celtics a good option in the post that they really lacked this season.

Other internationals to watch: Andres Nocioni, F, Argentina (free agent); David Andersen, F, Australia (2nd round pick for Hawks); Juan Carlos Navarro, G, Spain (2nd round pick for Wizards); Federico Kammerichs, F, Argentina (2nd round pick for Blazers); Luis Scola, F, Argentina (2nd round pick for Spurs); Mladen Sekularic, G, Yugoslavia (2nd round pick for Mavs)
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
5/16/2003  11:17 AM
3. Milos Vujanic, PG, Yugoslavia
The line: 6-3, 195, 23-year-old. Drafted No. 36 by the Knicks in the 2002 NBA Draft
The skinny: Vujanic was the top point guard in Europe last year and the leading scorer in the Euroleague. How did he slip all the way to 36 in the NBA draft? He didn't have a U.S. agent and didn't come to America for workouts. The result was that the Knicks may have gotten the steal of the draft. There are reports that Vujanic won't play for the Knicks this season, but will instead go to the Euroleague champion F.C. Barcelona club this year. However, like everything in Europe, no one knows for sure if this is actually done. Vujanic is still under contract until his team is eliminated from the playoffs and can't officially sign a deal until then. In the meantime expect Divac, a co-owner of the team, to convince Vujanic to play in the U.S. He's ready to come over and could make a big impact on the Knicks this season.

WOW. Let's get this kid in here. Vlade, the Kings will be my 2nd team if you get this done.
ARES
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #406
5/16/2003  11:21 AM
Your very good at reading the newspaper, i read this some weeks ago thanks.
NEW YORK, NEW YORK BIG CITY OF DREAMS, BUT EVERYTHING IN NEW YORK AINT ALWAYS WHAT IT SEEMS
Swishfm3
Member: #392
5/16/2003  11:27 AM
good looking out on the "insider" reports.....good read.
rain
Member: #353
USA
5/16/2003  2:22 PM
Martin - Thanks for the read!
ARES
5/16/2003  2:59 PM
Thank espn, rain
NEW YORK, NEW YORK BIG CITY OF DREAMS, BUT EVERYTHING IN NEW YORK AINT ALWAYS WHAT IT SEEMS
rain
Member: #353
USA
5/16/2003  3:09 PM
I don't pay for insider... and Ford is a very good columnist. Unless, you Ares, are in Europe scouting these guys...this is the only info I would have gotten on prospective Knicks. SO... yes thanks Martin, thanks Espn... better?
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
5/16/2003  3:34 PM
I don't pay for insider... and Ford is a very good columnist. Unless, you Ares, are in Europe scouting these guys...this is the only info I would have gotten on prospective Knicks. SO... yes thanks Martin, thanks Espn... better?

TRUE. I too am to cheap to pay for insider so I wait for Martin to post Chad Fords column.

Thanks Martin.
ARES
5/16/2003  4:13 PM
lol, i don't know, I believe maybe 10 pct of that hopefully milos is as good as Tony Parker.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
5/17/2003  11:41 PM
What this says about Milos gives me the smallest hope that he might still come over this year. Someone has to tell him that now is the best time because we don't have a franchise point guard, or anyone we really want to even keep for that matter. New York will probably do all thats possible to upgrade at the point this year leaving him an automatic reserve when he does come over. Right now he is the most talented point guard we own the rights to and if he wants to ever play for the knicks and even start, now is the time.
Insider 5/16: Following in Ginobili's footsteps

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy