^ Pretty funny stuff.
https:// It's not so hard.
AUTOADVERT
BasketballJones
Alba Posts: 19
Member: #290
USA
7/12/2007  3:46 PM
I actually have a imac. I'm dual booting with Windows XP. I need Windows for bork purposes but I do use the mac part as wel, but not nearly as much. OSX is built on a BSD kernel and has a command prompt. Since I work with FreeBSD a lot it's at least somewhat familiar.
https:// It's not so hard.
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
7/13/2007  1:20 PM
Posted by Silverfuel:

From my experience, windows servers have been pretty damn durable with 2000 and counting. The IIS on 2003 is much improved too. Almost all of our servers run Windows Server and most of our problems are related to something else. They are starting to make decent systems. I'm not giving up my Fedora box for nothing but Windows XP has been pretty damn solid as a desktop OS.

Depends on what you're comparing it to. Windows 98. Oh hell yeah. Windows 2000? Sure, why not.

My issues aren't with stability, but performance. I run a Linux machine on a 2.4 Ghz P4, 512 MB RAM and get better performance, with logically equivalent applications, than I do on a Windows XP machine with a top of the line Core 2 Duo, 2 GB of RAM. Windows should be called OverheadOS.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
7/13/2007  7:07 PM
Thats true. Any MS apps will require a lot more resources but thats also because they turn everything on by default. The problem is with windows philosophy. I installed Adobe the other day and now 3 Adobe process are running at all time under all profiles and some Adobe launch utility loads at boot time. That would never happen under any distro.

BTW Solace, I might need some help. My network cards are not letting me do WPA+PSK under Fedora and Ubuntu fiesty fawn. I tried with the WPA supplicant but no go. Imma hit you up on AIM sometime tomorrow.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
UK Slowdowns?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy