Interesting Ideas
Author Thread
TheSage
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #386
5/10/2003  10:56 AM
Saw this posted on another board-interesting and well thought out

My Offseason Plan
Now, this gets a bit silly, and it's all entirely conjecture and nonsense, but this is what I would attempt to get done if I were the GM of the Knicks over the summer. Bear with me, if you're interested.

MY plan involves three moves. All of them fairly major. It involves us picking up some FA's in sign and trades, because that is the only way we can do it.

The first, simplest, best, and most realistic of my trades is thus:

Andre Miller (Resigned for $6-7 million) to the Knicks for Ward, the rights to Milos Vujanic, and $2 million in cash. This move makes alot of sense for both teams. It gives the Clipps a young PG prospect in Vujanic to pair with his national teammate Jaric in the back court for a player they would have just let walk anyways. And the Knicks get Andre Miller, who, despite a bad year is still a solid point guard, and a player that Layden covets. So that takes care of our point guard situation.

Now, the second and slightly less grounded, but still in my opinion possible trade is this:

We trade Latrell Sprewell and Travis Knight for Tim Thomas and Jason Caffey. We also swap picks here (the #9 for the #8). Milwaulkie does this trade because they get out of two bad long term contracts, and they get a hometown hero who they have expressed much interest in in the past. Knight is there as an expiring contract. Latrell only has two years left, Caffey I believe 3, Thomas 4. NY gets a real SF with size, and has to take on an over paid Caffey, so as compensation we swap picks, a difference of 1, but since both teams are looking for size, that will be key (see later).

Here is my third, and most out of nowhere trade:

Indiana is looking to avoid paying the luxery tax. Indiana has a lot of FA's to sign, and they are coming off a miserable post season which has led most to conclude it is time for a change. Indiana has also been looking to dump Austin Croshere, basically ever since they signed him, and have yet to even remotely find a taker. I think we could help them out like this. We trade Antonio Mcdyess for a resigned Brad Miller and Austin Croshere. We may have to throw in a second round pick to make this work, or that might not even be enough, I'm not sure, but it seems fair to me. Indiana finally gets rid of Croshere, loses Miller, who they had a good chance of losing anyways, and gets cap relief in Mcdyess's huge expiring contract. NY gets a legit center, and adds another bad contract. I don't believe Mcdyess will ever play again, but there is a chance that he will. That makes this a risky trade for NY, and adds some possible gravy for Indiana.

Then we go into the draft:

And for the first time in a while, we fully intend to keep our pretty decent #8 pick. Since we pick before the Bucks, there will be at least one of the following promising big men available and I say we draft whichever is left out of:
Chris Kaman
Maciej Lampe
Anderson Varejao
Sofiklis Schortisiantes

So where are we left?

NY had added some more bad contracts, but none of them are longer than Houston's, so it does nothing to further damage our already drastic cap situation. You can't kill a dead horse. And anyways, our team is going to have one of the highest payrolls whichever way you look at it, so we might as well at least make the playoffs. And this sets us up for a major cap windfall in I believe 2007.

We have kept our two best players from this year, Allan and Kurt, and have added some quality players around them. Our line up is deep, has some young talent, and I think is pretty good. We would easily be top 4 in the East, in my opinion.

Check out the roster:

Starters:

Brad Miller (Finally a big center)
Kurt Thomas (Back at his natural position at last)
Tim Thomas (Finally a big small forward)
Allan Houston (Still clearly the focal point of the offense)
Andre Miller (A good point guard)

Bench:

Austin Croshere (Better than anyone on our bench this year)
Big Man Rookie (Some young talent!)
Howard Eisley (Back in a back-up role where he belongs)
Jason Caffey
Clarence Weatherspoon
Shandon Anderson
Michael Doleac
Frank Williams (It just wouldn't feel like the Knicks without some young talent rotting on the bench)
Othella Harrington (Although a team may want him as an add in in one of the above trades?)
2nd round pick (Chris Marcus?)

So this is what I would do if I were GM, I hope Scott Layden reads it and steals some of my ideas. I promise I wouldn't be mad. I honestly feel that these moves could make us an instant contender, and brightens up our future considerably.

Scott Layden is a genius.

Last edited by H2O on 05-08-2003 at 03:52 PM

AUTOADVERT
john44
Member: #115
USA
5/10/2003  11:59 AM
I think the knicks should go after Zo. Even if its only a one year deal, if healthy he could give a defensive presence and rebounding. Also if he draft a big man he can help them develope and would be a good teacher. Zo would also demand a double team in the post, with him and dice or thomas that great post defense and rebounding.
Matt
prodson
Member: #395
Colombia
5/11/2003  6:43 PM
maybe i shouldn't have stumbled upon your post The Sage because my only intention was to come in here and find out the time of the next lakers v spurs game but unfortunately here i am after reading your post.

i get from your post that your intention is for the knicks to make the playoffs. and apparantly by all means even if it means making scott layden look like a genius. well at least you admitted that it got a bit silly

i wouldn't mind the knicks getting andre miller. but i would rather see the knicks buy out ward with that 2 million dollars and keep eisley and develop frank williams instead

but i don't see the bucks giving up tim thomas for latrell sprewell. i love sprewell but i can't get my love for him confused with a younger small forward in exchange for an older shooting guard

the knicks have kept travis knight this long may as well keep him longer. his contract is up next year. the best scenario would be to let it play out. it would seem him and ward will become valuable for some team seeking cap relief next season.
the knicks have no use for caffey period.

your third trade involving sending mcdyess to indiana for brad miller and austin croshere made me wonder about you. so you want the knicks to give up cap relief for more contracts.

top 4 in the east huh.

if by chance scott layden is reading this why not stop signing players like weatherspoon and travis knight and thus adding to your stock pile of weapons of mass destruction and try focusing on doing something with your lottery and draft picks. stick with the 1 year signings if anything. you don't have to sign players to long contracts to compete for the lottery.

haven't you learned anything from the ewing debacle?

all those years as a fan and now i'm the anti-knick. life is crazy aint it.
Swishfm3
Member: #392
5/11/2003  7:34 PM
^co-sign

I swear..with all the talk about Kaman around here...I would be surprised if he doesn't go #1 in the draft.
TheSage
Member: #386
5/12/2003  7:14 AM
These were not my ideas-they were from a poster named H2O. I do however believe some of his ideas had merit. The net result was to become younger and more athletic.

What some of the fans do not realize is that as long as the the knicks have so many bad contracts they will be in cap hell. It will take the elimination of at least three contracts to get them down to the max cap.
Swishfm3
5/12/2003  9:32 AM
but the Post you copied calls for even LONGER contracts...so how are the Knicks going to even out?
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
5/12/2003  10:18 AM
I would rather see Zo in an NY uni then anyone from the pacers, or Andre Miller. We need a center plain and simple. We have plenty of PGs, we even have a potential stud waiting in europe. Why add bad contracts to get players who arent going to help us in the long run?
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
prodson
Colombia
5/12/2003  11:43 AM
Posted by Swishfm3:

but the Post you copied calls for even LONGER contracts...so how are the Knicks going to even out?
yeah how?
KARNIVORE
Member: #382
Nigeria
5/12/2003  12:24 PM
you want a center ????? Just draft ( sorry SWISH ) KAMAN at #9, then LANG at #31 then OUTLAW or VILLANEVAU at #52 or what ever the hell it is !!
ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL, BUT THEY ARE NOT TREATED EQUAL !!!
Swishfm3
5/12/2003  12:35 PM
NOT KAMAN!!! UUUUUUGH!!
prodson
Colombia
5/12/2003  12:44 PM
Posted by Swishfm3:

NOT KAMAN!!! UUUUUUGH!!
HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
5/12/2003  1:03 PM
First of all I rather have Dice and his bad knees instead of Brad Miller and Austin Croshere..Period.

Next it seems like you are trying to make the team good instead of builcing a winner. Frank williams IMO has similar ability to Andre miller, they both are similar players, who knows with playing timew what kind of player Williams will be, we know what kind of talent he displayed in college. To build a winner it takes shrewd moves, like developing talent on the cheap, siging good but cheap FA's like maybe a ZO who is better with bad kidneys than any of the guys you want to trade for and their long horrible contracts..

I rather make Zo an offer, Keep our pick. For christ sakes Keep our got damn pick for once, then trade spree and our 2 good second round picks for a mid 1st round pick and a player. This gives us two maybe 3 young players to develop and play with a nucleus that can still win some games in Houston, Kt and maybe Dice. Meanwhile we lose contracts like Ward, Knight, and not get in any more long term monster contracts with a bunch of bums like Croshere and Caffey.. The only way I take on Crosheres contract if he is comming over with Al Harrington...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
KARNIVORE
Member: #382
Nigeria
5/12/2003  1:09 PM
AUSTIN CROSHERE SUCKS!!!!
ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL, BUT THEY ARE NOT TREATED EQUAL !!!
Interesting Ideas

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy