Alba Posts: 0
Member: #408
USA
7/4/2007  1:31 PM

Wednesday, Jul 4, 2007
Posted on Tue, Jul. 03, 2007
Knight stunned by release

RICK BONNELL

Former Charlotte Bobcats point guard Brevin Knight says the team's decision to waive him last week was not just a money-saving move.

Knight told the Observer Monday that he offered to take less money to remain a Bobcat. Instead, the Bobcats bought out the final $4.2 million season on his contract by paying him $1.5 million.

"If it was a money issue, we could have done something about that," Knight said in an exclusive interview with the Observer. "I expressed that through my agent. What was their reasoning? I don't know."

Knight said he was prepared to void his contract, then sign anew with the Bobcats, to avoid changing teams and potentially uprooting his family.

He added he wouldn't have undermined Raymond Felton's ascension as this team's primary point guard.

"I was willing to do whatever they wanted me to do," Knight said. "I was not demanding anything."

Knight, who turns 32 in November, said he's baffled, rather than bitter, about the team's decision. He anticipates that whatever the Bobcats pay his replacement, combined with what they owe Knight as a buy-out, is roughly what they would have paid to keep him.

Bobcats executive vice president Bernie Bickerstaff declined to discuss the team's reasoning on waiving Knight. However, he said it's not out of the question the team could re-sign Knight.

"Obviously that's someone to be considered going forward," Bickerstaff said, "because we do need a backup point guard."

Knight said Felton's North Carolina pedigree complicated Knight's relationship with local fans.

"Obviously a lot that goes on in Charlotte relates to their love of the University of North Carolina," Knight said. "That affected me, Bernie and Raymond, too -- there's a lot of pressure on him to be great" as an ex-Tar Heel.

Knight missed 36 games with several injuries last season, but says there's no doubt he'll sign with another NBA team. He said the Miami Heat, Los Angeles Clippers, Cleveland Cavaliers and Detroit Pistons have expressed interest.

He anticipates his family living in Charlotte next winter, regardless of where he plays. Observer Exclusive

Knight's numbers

Year G Min FG% Ast Stls TO Pts
2005-06 69 34:06 39.9 8.8 2.3 2.4 12.6
2006-07 45 28:18 41.9 6.6 1.5 2.1 9.1

"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
AUTOADVERT
Bobby
USA
7/4/2007  1:53 PM
mchale should be flying down to charlotte with a decent offer. brevin should make excellent backup to randy foye
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
Bobby
USA
7/5/2007  12:53 AM
Knight might fill point guard need

By Chris Dempsey
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 07/03/2007 01:48:02 AM MDT

The Nuggets' search for a point guard will lead them to Washington, D.C., today, where team vice president Mark Warkentien will meet with Brevin Knight and his agent, Bill Strickland.

Knight's contract was bought out Friday by the Charlotte Bobcats, who paid $1.5 million to part ways with the 5-foot-10 playmaker from Stanford. Knight was due to make $4.2 million next season.

Knight, 31, is an intriguing option for the Nuggets, who are covering all of their bases in search of a point guard for next season. He has been a solid all-around player in his 10 years in the NBA, posting career averages of 8.3 points, 6.8 assists, 2.7 rebounds and 1.8 steals.

Last season with Charlotte, where he backed up starter Raymond Felton, Knight averaged 9.1 points, 6.6 assists, 2.6 rebounds and 1.5 steals.

Knight was limited to 45 games because of injuries and has played in 65 or more games just four times.

The Nuggets are still in contact with free agent Steve Blake, who started at point guard for the team last season. Also on the team's radar are former New Orleans guard Devin Brown and former Memphis guard Chucky Atkins.

Bobby
USA
7/5/2007  12:55 AM
ineresting to see devin brown on nuggets radar
Bobby
USA
7/5/2007  3:17 PM
if you dont think knight is the real deal, checkout this article:

http://azsportshub.com/the-state-of-affairs/
do we have any takers on 32 year old point guard

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy