[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Barbosa = Nyquil
Author Thread
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
5/5/2003  1:33 PM
He might just be the biggest sleeper in the draft:

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1052041043138830.xml

Many see Cavaliers taking the fifth - in draft lottery

05/04/03

Most cynics believe that the Cavaliers will end up with the fifth selection in the NBA Draft Lottery on May 22. Fifth is the worst the Cavs can finish in the lottery. The Cavs haven't had much luck in the lottery. Last year's sixth selection was the best since the Cavs picked first in 1986. Fifth would mean that the Cavs would miss out on the top three glamour picks in LeBron James, Darko Milicic or Carmelo Anthony.

But the fifth spot could give the Cavs a chance to fill a glaring need at point guard. That point guard could be Brazilian Leandrinho Barbosa. Agent Mike Coyne, who represents Denver's Nene Hilario, said Barbosa could be the best point guard in the draft. Even better than T.J. Ford, the College Player of the Year.

"I compare him to T.J. Ford but Leandrinho is taller [6-3] and with his wing span, it's almost like he's 6-6," Coyne said. "He has big hands and he can dunk the ball in every way. He can handle the ball better than anyone I've ever seen and he's a better outside shooter than Ford. Everyone says that Ford is the fastest and quickest player in basketball, but I'll bet anyone that Leandrinho is faster and quicker."

Barbosa, who is preparing for the draft by working out at the Speed and Strength Training Center in Euclid, is 20 years old. He was the Brazilian League Rookie of the Year last season and he led his team to the league championship. He was also a backup on the World Championship Brazilian team.

Eric Lichter, who trained Hilario and Boston Celtics guard J.R. Bremer, has been impressed with Barbosa.

"He's very explosive," Lichter said. "His greatest asset is that he's 6-3 and he has Allen Iverson-type speed. That's unusual for a player that big. He's been working hard and he's doing everything he can to be good."

Barbosa, who is here in Cleveland with his older brother, Artur, remained humble despite the praise of Lichter and Coyne.

"I have confidence in my abilities," Barbosa said through his interpreter, Greg Dole. "I can't rank myself against the other guards in the draft because I haven't seen them play. But I'm very confident against other NBA players."

Barbosa's confidence rose following last year's draft when Denver selected fellow Brazilian Hilario.

"I cried when he was drafted," Barbosa said. "I finally realized that basketball in Brazil was finally getting respect from Americans, and I realized that my dreams might come true to play on the highest level."

He screams, "I belong on the Knicks, Milos has nothing on my skills"
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/5/2003  10:31 PM
man, love that last line "I belong on the Knicks, Milos has nothing on my skills". Quick, draft this kid and let he and Milos partner up in the backcourt.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Barbosa = Nyquil

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy