[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Does David Stern control what teams Chinese players go to ?
Author Thread
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

6/25/2007  12:32 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/25/sports/basketball/25nba.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&adxnnlx=1182788952-yDWLS5dHhEsW9Qe5IwJRxA

The Bucks’ general manager, Larry Harris, said Friday that his team was considering taking Yi with the sixth pick despite potential objections from Chinese basketball officials. They want Yi to play in a city with a large Chinese population and for him not to languish on the bench.

Hai To Chan, the owner of the Guangdong Tigers, arrived in Los Angeles last week to oversee the draft.

“We are happy to see our players to go out,” said Li Yuanwei, executive vice president and secretary general of the Chinese Basketball Association. “We don’t oppose it. The question though, is how to keep it in an orderly way. We don’t want our men to just sit there without access to opportunities of training and gaming.”

For the N.B.A., the success of players like Yi is critical to the international growth of the game.

The N.B.A. estimates 300 million people play organized basketball in China. With 1.3 billion people and a growing middle class, N.B.A. Commissioner David Stern wants to capitalize. He said that the N.B.A. was discussing forming a league with the Chinese Basketball Association after the Beijing Olympics.

“It was time for us to be making a greater investment in China,” Stern said last week. “It was time to take advantage of the opportunities — from marketing, to new media, to retail, to merchandise, to television.”
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
AUTOADVERT
mattshaw78
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #915
6/25/2007  2:14 PM
wish we had a higher pick....bring him here.
BlueSeats "I like anyone who can make Lebron cry. Melo seems to do it a lot."
playa2

6/25/2007  6:36 PM
I just don't understand because the Chinese BB Association wants Yi to get settled in a NBA
city with a massive chinese population, that theywant Yi to play in a city with a large Chinese population and for him not to languish on the bench.

Who calls
those shots without fixing it up ?
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/25/2007  7:04 PM
This helps me arrive to another question. When Yao retires, is he allowed to stay here or is China going to force him to move back?
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1126
USA
6/25/2007  8:51 PM
Posted by playa2:

I just don't understand because the Chinese BB Association wants Yi to get settled in a NBA
city with a massive chinese population, that theywant Yi to play in a city with a large Chinese population and for him not to languish on the bench.

Who calls

This is a joke! If they don't want the league to follow league rules, then they can just ship him back to China. China's got to follow NBA rules. This isn't exactly an International conflict like bush and the chinese president has had in the past and it's not going to be.

I'm sure Thomas will pass him up if he did' slip to 23.
I'll never trust this' team again.
USA
6/25/2007  8:52 PM
Posted by Allanfan20:

This helps me arrive to another question. When Yao retires, is he allowed to stay here or is China going to force him to move back?

I'm sure he can apply for citizenship at some point later in his career, if he chooses to do so. But then again, he's from a communist country, so would he have to jump ship and claim?
JohnWallace44
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #910
USA
6/25/2007  9:01 PM
If I was a Bucks fan I would be friggin' crunked about this.

Those top picks are serious business. Stern's got to tell the Chinese they need to abide by the rules to get their players into the league.
Alan Hahn: Nate Robinson has been on a ridonkulous scoring tear lately (remember when he couldn't hit Jerome James with a Big Mac in early January?)
USA
6/25/2007  9:03 PM
Posted by JohnWallace44:

If I was a Bucks fan I would be friggin' crunked about this.

Those top picks are serious business. Stern's got to tell the Chinese they need to abide by the rules to get their players into the league.

Exactly! They got some nerve.
BasketballJones
Alba Posts: 19
Member: #290
USA
6/25/2007  9:22 PM
Posted by playa2:

Who calls

Chairman Mao.
https:// It's not so hard.
playa2

6/25/2007  9:31 PM
so is David"The Don" Stern legit or does he illegally set up where these players go.It all started with the original draft with Ewing IMHO.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/26/2007  1:07 AM
Posted by 4949:
Posted by playa2:

Who calls

This is a joke! If they don't want the league to follow league rules, then they can just ship him back to China. China's got to follow NBA rules. This isn't exactly an International conflict like bush and the chinese president has had in the past and it's not going to be.

I'm sure Thomas will pass him up if he did' slip to 23.

you have to remember that China is still a Communist Nation, so in order for the NBA to feature players like Yao Ming & Yi Jianlian, they must be willing to accomodate the Chinese government in this regard... otherwise, why would China want their nation's best athletes to come over here & waste away on some NBA team's bench in a very sparse Asian populated market when they could be stars in their own country instead? Do you seriously think that the NBA is doing the Chinese government any favors here by agreeing to have Yao & Jianlian play here? It's the NBA that's making a ton of money by having these guys here, don't get it twisted... that's a HUGE market to break into over there, & there's a ton of cash to be made in marketing to the Chinese American population that reside here in the States & around the world as well... to simply say "ship him back to China if they don't like it" is basically an ignorant point of view... let's not make this out to be some sort of charity case that the NBA is doing out of the kindness of their hearts guys... it's all about the chedda.

[Edited by - TMS on 06-26-2007 01:09 AM]
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
playa2

6/26/2007  6:35 AM
What is the Chinese Govt getting out of this nothing ?

How about Chedda being sent back to china from players endorsements + contracts.
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
6/26/2007  10:03 AM
Posted by 4949:
Posted by Allanfan20:

I'm sure he can apply for citizenship at some point later in his career, if he chooses to do so. But then again, he's from a communist country, so would he have to jump ship and claim?

Why any guy or kid from China can get to us on H1 working visa or student visa, apply for Green Card, get it in 3-5 years granted if he played to immigration layers, and then in 5 years apply for Citizenship and get it in 1 year, but Yao cannot?
He is working in US and he has visa. You know nothing about these guys.
I was working for telecom company for 5 years and they brought in US about 500-700 people from China, India, and Russia and all of them including their families get Green card and then became citizens. It’s couple of thousands people and one small company.
Don’t listen to this bull about illegal immigration. This is only about Mexicans.

[Edited by - arkrud on 06-26-2007 10:03 AM]
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
TMS
USA
6/26/2007  10:38 AM
Posted by playa2:

What is the Chinese Govt getting out of this nothing ?

How about Chedda being sent back to china from players endorsements + contracts.

the amount of money being sent back to China from Yao's contract is nothing compared to the dollars the NBA stands to make by breaking into the Chinese market... no one does anything in this world for free... the NBA is giving special considerations to the Chinese government because guys like Yao & Jianlian are cashcows for the league & very good for the their international marketing appeal.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
playa2

6/26/2007  10:45 AM
I agree with what you are saying TMS very sound point made.

But what I am asking everyone is does David Stern "ILLEGALLY" make accomodations for Chinese players when it comes to the draft ?

If so wouldn't that be called rigged?
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
6/26/2007  10:55 AM
How is this different than an agent telling a team they don't want their player drafted? Different than Kobe, or Amare holding our his workouts, or Eli?
PURE KNICKS LOVE
playa2

6/26/2007  11:13 AM
Because it has something to do with the player wanting to be associated as an athelete to winning organizations for the players you mentioned above . For Chinese players it's fan based.

Another thing Arn Tellem is an agent, David Stern is the commissioner of the league.

[Edited by - playa2 on 26-06-2007 11:15]
TMS
USA
6/26/2007  11:30 AM
Posted by playa2:

I agree with what you are saying TMS very sound point made.

But what I am asking everyone is does David Stern "ILLEGALLY" make accomodations for Chinese players when it comes to the draft ?

If so wouldn't that be called rigged?

well, like i said, it's a little different in this case because he's dealing w/a Nation's government & not just an individual agent, player or marketing group... you have to be willing to make concessions like this if you want these players in the NBA.
playa2

6/26/2007  11:36 AM
TMS is it rigged by the commish(stern) because it's communist govt or not?

Anyway Milwaukee director of player personnel Dave Babcock confirmed yesterday that his team, which picks No. 6, wasn't invited to see Yi work out in Los Angeles. The Sixers, who select 12th were given permission by agent Dan Fegan to see Yi last week.

"They weren't interested in having us come to L.A. to have him work out," Babcock said in a phone interview. "Even though we didn't work him out, we would still consider him strongly at six."

Looks like heads could clash if the bucks draft Yi, or the bucks could trade Yi to one of the cities mentioned earlier.

TMS
USA
6/26/2007  11:46 AM
a trade is the likely scenario i think because of all the marketing capital that an NBA team playing in a high Asian populated market would stand to gain by having him on the team... maybe GS offers up Monta Ellis & the #18 pick for his draft rights?
Does David Stern control what teams Chinese players go to ?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy