[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Who thinks that drafting Pavel P. with our first rounder is a huge mistake
Author Thread
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
5/4/2003  1:30 PM
insider lotto generator has him going in the lotto and to us... i think it'd be a big mistake.
AUTOADVERT
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
5/4/2003  2:06 PM
I think it would be brilliant
Swishfm3
Member: #392
5/4/2003  5:44 PM
I don't even know who he is
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
5/4/2003  6:11 PM
At pick 9 you HAVE to get a skill player. If this guy is putting up atleast 15 and 10 in a foreign league--than you take a look at him. You dont want to run into a potential bust like Skita--shows the size and some skills on the practice court--but no body of work in games against good competition. It's very possible that a club that may go into rebuilding like Milwaukee could reach around 8, but I think a logical draft choice is late first round early second.
RIP Crushalot😞
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
5/4/2003  8:09 PM
He has exceptional size and solid athletism for his size so if he has decent workouts and no one unexpected slips you have to go with him. I think we are likely to take him or Sofokis Schortsianitis because i think he will end up having good workouts and could be this years Amare Stoudamire. He's the best physical all-around player in the draft with his size, strength, explosiveness, and athletism. Apparently he also has a great touch and can play with his back to the basket. The big question is his height but espn says his most recent listing is 6-10, 287lbs and if thats true than i think we should take him.
BRIGGS
5/4/2003  8:34 PM
the Knicks will never draft Sofokis and I doubt they would sign this kid unless he is unbelievable in workouts.If that is the case there are 4-5 teams ahead of us who are probably interested in a center. The Knicks will always be a WIN NOW type team. At pick 9 you want something that is conservative and proven. Projects like Sofokis and Pavel are late first round early second round type draft picks unless they show something spectacular in workouts. From everything I read,I doubt they go that high. The Knicks will probably try to trade up for Kaman--take Sweetney in their spot or trade the pick. The Knicks can draft and sit on a project player in the second round for cheap. The Knicks cant afford to draft a player at 9 that they will have to wait around for. Kaman and especially Sweetney will contribute right away. If Sofokis is averaging something like 4 points and shooting 30% fromthe FT line in a foreign country--what do you think he will do in the nBA? Pick 9 is not a reach pick---we have the assets with two early second rounders to either sit tight or move up late first round.
RIP Crushalot😞
DefAndReb
Member: #336
5/4/2003  11:20 PM
Whoever they draft, if they keep it, I hope they work the guy out first, not take him based on some trans-Atlantic scouting mission.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
5/5/2003  9:37 AM
Posted by Caseloads:

insider lotto generator has him going in the lotto and to us... i think it'd be a big mistake.

After watching how Sabonis was controlling Mavs makes me think Size is the thing the Knicks need. Sabonis who has lost so much athleticism kept the Balzers in the game. I'm thinking a 7'4''Pavel, 7'3'' Kosta and 7'6'' Vranes will go a long way in suring up the NYK defense. With the second round pick I would take on Lang making sure the knicks are sured up at the center and PF psition for years to come With the other second round pick I would definitely consider taking Travis Outlaw or Villaneuva. Three years down the road I think these players will come into their own and a new nucleus of players will be there for the Knicks.

Outlaw sf
Lang pf
Pavel/Kosta/Vranes
Houston sg
Vujanic g

Thats a pretty good lineup in the future for the Knicks. I can see where the centers would have an immediate impact for the Knicks if Dice is healthy they will need the center to develope defensively first and not worry so much about offense. I would welcome this lineup for next year.
Spree sf
Dice pf
Kosta/Pavel/Vranes c
Houston sg
Eisley g

Bench: Lang, Ward, Williams, Spoon, Harrigton, Doleac.
I think that is a formidable lineup.
Swishfm3
Member: #392
5/5/2003  12:19 PM
I see what you're saying VMart..but you can't just draft any old body just because he's 7+ in height...He needs to have skills.

IMO, This draft is so weak that I'm all for just drafting the best player avaiable and going from there....Maybe trading the pick for one of LAST year's draft picks..

A trade I liked that I saw on another board was Thomas and Knicks #1 for Odom and Wilcox...Odom will prolly have to sign a contract for less money but I think this would work.
Caseloads
5/5/2003  12:37 PM
Posted by Swishfm3:

I see what you're saying VMart..but you can't just draft any old body just because he's 7+ in height...He needs to have skills.

IMO, This draft is so weak that I'm all for just drafting the best player avaiable and going from there....Maybe trading the pick for one of LAST year's draft picks..

A trade I liked that I saw on another board was Thomas and Knicks #1 for Odom and Wilcox...Odom will prolly have to sign a contract for less money but I think this would work.
this years Draft is much deeper and better than last years

REASONS:

1) the top three picks are SUREFIRE franchise cornerstones - you can't even compare lebron, darko and carmelo with last year's yao, jay will, and dunleavy

2) The talent from 4 down is solid, which is not the case so much from last year - Bosh is solid, Ford is tough, Lampe is nice, kaman has potential, Sweetney is an option, Varejao is good, Wade has skills, Pietrus might be the french version of jordan (i'm not holding my breath, i'm thinking he might be more like Vince Carter if he's lucky), Pavel Podkolzin (who is huge), Sofoklis S. (who is a Jahidi White downlow, and only 17 right now), Barbosa who might be the NENE of point guards, or at least he would be the next arenas, SEVERAL really solid seniors including:

Kirk Hinrich 6-3 190 PG Kansas Sr.
Reece Gaines 6-6 185 PG/SG Louisville Sr.
Nick Collison 6-9 250 PF Kansas Sr. (the next laettner, i know)
David West 6-8 232 PF Xavier Sr.
Josh Howard 6-6 203 SG/SF Wake Forest Sr.
Brian Cook 6-10 240 PF Illinois Sr.
Jerome Beasley 6-10 241 PF North Dakota Sr.
Troy Bell 6-1 183 PG Boston College Sr.
Marquis Estill 6-9 235 PF Kentucky *Sr.
Marcus Hatten 6-1 165 PG St John's Sr.

Talented Juniors:
Luke Ridnour 6-2 175 PG Oregon Jr.
Mario Austin 6-8 265 PF Mississippi St. Jr.
Marcus Moore 6-6 182 PG/SG Washington St. Jr.

And the Obligatory HighSchoolers (who would be in the first round, lotto even, if not for the league OD'ing on HighSchoolers in the past):
x-James Lang 6-10 340 C Birmingham AL HSSr.
x-Charlie Villanueva 6-10 215 SF Blairstown, NJ HSSr

And tons of tall, skilled foreigners.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
5/5/2003  2:12 PM
Posted by Swishfm3:

A lot of these guys are skilled and are playing with professionals at the ages of 17 and 18. There is no way you pass on a kid 18, 300lbs and 7'4'' he just might dominate the game in 3 or 4 years. The knicks need to be smart and not just draft anyone but if they don't do their homework and pass on this kid who just might be a impact player is stupid we NYK fans never let them down for passing up people. Lets address the height issue once and for all. I say just pick Pavel at the 9th spot and lets go we have lived with worse in our time.
Caseloads
5/5/2003  5:59 PM
Posted by Vmart:
Posted by Swishfm3:

A lot of these guys are skilled and are playing with professionals at the ages of 17 and 18. There is no way you pass on a kid 18, 300lbs and 7'4'' he just might dominate the game in 3 or 4 years. The knicks need to be smart and not just draft anyone but if they don't do their homework and pass on this kid who just might be a impact player is stupid we NYK fans never let them down for passing up people. Lets address the height issue once and for all. I say just pick Pavel at the 9th spot and lets go we have lived with worse in our time.
Layden will only go with the safe pick, I mean trade. Layden saw what happenned with Fred Weis, and if Pavel is another Weis, there's no way Layden keeps his job.
BRIGGS
5/5/2003  6:21 PM
You hit the nail on the button right there.the Knicks are NOT going to take a project @ 9. UNFORTUNATELY the Knicks will likely trade the pick and if not--wil likely go with a safe commodity. For those who think that drafting a 7-4 player who has little experience is a good idea and then comparing them to Sabonis--think again. Sabonis was ALREADY a star player by age 18. The Knicks management of affairs over the last several years has been ABSOLUTELY 100% BRUTAL. Start with the Weiss thing the Ewing trade-overpaying for andersen and eisley overpaying for spoon--trading formark jackson and a number 1 for childs and being beaten by the same team in the playoffs. Van Gundy quitting several jaunts with trading sprewell in the media--his broken finger Mcdyess trade and ongoing viasco milos vujonic not coming terrible records HUGE payroll the gm communicates in the third person but doesnt say anything--- this team has been a JOKE

Anyone who thinks that the Knicks are going to take Baby Shaq or Pavel the 7-4 siberian monster must have their heads examined. Its AWFUL PR the kind of PR that keeps fans away. IF the Knicks acquire a second first round pick--they have the leeway tobe aggresive and speculative on that pick. As for the 9 pick stay with a highly conservative post player who will HELP right away.
RIP Crushalot😞
Caseloads
5/5/2003  6:31 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

You hit the nail on the button right there.the Knicks are NOT going to take a project @ 9. UNFORTUNATELY the Knicks will likely trade the pick and if not--wil likely go with a safe commodity. For those who think that drafting a 7-4 player who has little experience is a good idea and then comparing them to Sabonis--think again. Sabonis was ALREADY a star player by age 18. The Knicks management of affairs over the last several years has been ABSOLUTELY 100% BRUTAL. Start with the Weiss thing the Ewing trade-overpaying for andersen and eisley overpaying for spoon--trading formark jackson and a number 1 for childs and being beaten by the same team in the playoffs. Van Gundy quitting several jaunts with trading sprewell in the media--his broken finger Mcdyess trade and ongoing viasco milos vujonic not coming terrible records HUGE payroll the gm communicates in the third person but doesnt say anything--- this team has been a JOKE

Anyone who thinks that the Knicks are going to take Baby Shaq or Pavel the 7-4 siberian monster must have their heads examined. Its AWFUL PR the kind of PR that keeps fans away. IF the Knicks acquire a second first round pick--they have the leeway tobe aggresive and speculative on that pick. As for the 9 pick stay with a highly conservative post player who will HELP right away.
For some strange unforseen reason, 2 inches makes a world of difference in the NBA - if sweetney were 6-10 instead of 6-8, we'd be all for drafting him. Even if he were 6-9. But 6-8 is undersized, and sweetney will therefore not be the pick.
Who thinks that drafting Pavel P. with our first rounder is a huge mistake

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy