[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Insider discussion on Jackson and Knicks.
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
9/28/2001  5:44 PM
From ESPN INSIDER:

Knicks, Rockets racing against the clock

Suddenly, Warriors free agent Marc Jackson is the hottest commodity in the NBA. After being virtually ignored all summer, he now appears to have two suitors in hot pursuit.

The Knicks received a $2.8 million medical exception Tuesday and must use it by Monday. They have shown interest in Jackson, who is a restricted free agent, as well as Cavs free-agent Chris Gatling.

Jackson may have a very tough decision very soon. The Rockets, who expected to hear back from the league on their medical exception at the same time the Knicks did, are still waiting by the phone. Houston is prepared to offer Jackson the full $3.25 million exception, if the league grants it.

If the Knicks tender a required three-year offer to Jackson this weekend, he's got to make a decision one way or another by Monday. It's very possible Houston won't know the disposition of its application by then. If Jackson gambles on the Rockets and they don't get their exception, he could be stuck playing for the minimum in Golden State.

That's got to be great grist for NBA conspiracy junkies who maintain the league always favors big market teams like the Knicks.

Of course this could all be moot. The Warriors could very well match any offer for Jackson. So far, San Fran's front office has been silent on the deal and league sources feel the Warriors might not be willing to give Jackson a three year, $10-million deal. But if they are, neither New York, Houston nor Jackson has any recourse. In other words, the Warriors are still in the driver's seat.

That could be good news for Gatling. Cavs GM Jim Paxson told the Akron Beacon Journal that Gatling's other suitor, the Heat, is not interested in signing Gatling for more than the $1-million veteran minimum. Gatling was hoping for a bigger deal, and New York may be his only shot to get it.
AUTOADVERT
MCfan23
Member: #114
USA
9/29/2001  8:50 AM
Thanks for the Inside scoop Knixkik!
We suck.
Knixkik
USA
9/29/2001  9:22 AM
With Jackson gone right now it looks like our guy is Chris Gatling so we have to get him. I don't want this to turn into another wasted summer with no improvement at center. At least Gatling gives us size and a decent scorer to come off the bench. Plus he's capable of playing center unlike most of our players. We need to get this guy.
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
9/29/2001  10:39 AM
I have some doubts about Gatling. He was a former all-star, but how many teams has he been on over the past 5 years? Kind of tells me is more trouble than he is worth. I don't ever remember him making that big of an impact for any of the teams he played for.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Knixkik
USA
9/29/2001  10:46 AM
Gatling was a one-time all-star and a couple time 6 man of the year i believe. Though he isn't the best thing we could get he's still good and could help a lot. The nypost is reporting the Knicks are willing to buy out LJ's contract and will either sign Gatling with the exception or trade it for a big man making under $2.875M. Also, the Knicks have added Ed Cota and Larry Robinson to their training camp roster.
MCfan23
Member: #114
USA
9/29/2001  5:22 PM
Releasing LJ and signing Gatling with the exception seems like a strong possibility, and I am firmly behind it. This would make me feel a lot better about the team going into training camp.
We suck.
Knixkik
USA
9/29/2001  9:27 PM
Posted by MCfan23:

Releasing LJ and signing Gatling with the exception seems like a strong possibility, and I am firmly behind it. This would make me feel a lot better about the team going into training camp.
Agreed and although our team is vestly underrated, this pair of moves could separate us from teams such as Toronto, Philly, Milwaukee, and Orlando and put us at the top. It's not a guarentee, but i'm just looking at the best way this move would improve us.
Insider discussion on Jackson and Knicks.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy