[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Another Dumb move by the Knicks
Author Thread
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
4/16/2003  11:15 AM
I didn't see the reason to give Chaney an extension he had a contract for next year why give him an extension. Chaney didn't deserve this contract here is why. He cost the Knicks the season when he had Dice playing in some meaningless preseason game just what the hell was Dice doing on the floor racking up minutes in some useless preseason game. He was coming off an injury plagued season you monitor his minutes and gradually increase the minutes over time. Chaney had this guy out there for 35 minutes right off the bat.

Another thing is Chaney has had 2 winning seasons in his career. I don't know about you guys but he does his best job when his superstar is out. I think the most he won was 50 games when Hakeem was out. He is not a wise choice. My feeling is that the KNicks should have given him one more year and then decided to extend his contract or not.
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
4/16/2003  11:49 AM
thats just stupid. How do you know McDyess didnt ask to play 40 mins so he could get in better game shape? His knee was weak, thats why it broke, not because Chaney played him too long.

When McDyess got hurt how many games did you think the Knicks were going to win?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
jazz74
Member: #371
4/16/2003  11:50 AM
i have to disagree. i think having chaney is good. your comment about mcdyess is pure specualtion. whose to say that it would'nt have happened in the beginning of the next game or during the regular season? the mere fact that he had this team competitive is an accomplishment itself. if you told me that the knicks would be competing for the playoffs well into the season, they would sweep the best team in the league and be one of the few east coast teams with a decent record against the elite western teams in the beginning of the season, i would not believe you. the players finally bought into his philosophy. i think he had the patience and calm demeanor to over accomplish with this undersized and under talented team. now i am not saying that van gundy could'nt do the same thing but i know that van gundy is a " playoff" coach. where i think chaney is a " transitional" coach for a team that is in between rebuilding and playoff contenders. next year, though, he will have no excuses and must produce in the playoffs.
Vmart
USA
4/16/2003  2:38 PM
Posted by fishmike:

thats just stupid. How do you know McDyess didnt ask to play 40 mins so he could get in better game shape? His knee was weak, thats why it broke, not because Chaney played him too long.

When McDyess got hurt how many games did you think the Knicks were going to win?

Then its poor coaching on his part because you never play a player based on what he wants you play a player based on what the coach thinks is best for the team at the moment. If Dice wanted 40 minutes then Chaney should have told him don't rush it you will get the time in the regular season.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/16/2003  2:56 PM
good point. Now I remember heavingly critizing him for playing dice that late in the game. but just the fact that they were in contention is a nice accomplishment.
Vmart
USA
4/16/2003  3:19 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

good point. Now I remember heavingly critizing him for playing dice that late in the game. but just the fact that they were in contention is a nice accomplishment.

I never said that I didn't want Chaney I just question why they would extend his contract. The way I see it is he will have a chance to show what he can do next year with a hopefully full squad. Why the hurry in giving him an extention they should have waited and then made the moves as needed because if he doesn't get the job done with a full squad then the Knicks are stuck with him for two more years.
nyvector16
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #130
USA
4/17/2003  12:48 AM
I have to agree.. it was a bonehead move... Suppose a good coach suddenly becomes available and shows interest in coming to NY after next season. At which point one of two things will happen:
1 - We pass up on the good coach for Chaney
2 - We get the good coach and owe Chaney the money still due on his contract extension.

Stupid move for a club that has the sudden interest in saving money and hopefully a desire to improve.
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
4/17/2003  7:42 AM
Unfortunately the Knicks desire to improve is being hurt by the front office bumbling duo of Dolan and Layden.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
Another Dumb move by the Knicks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy