[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Chaney will be coach for two more seasons
Author Thread
DefAndReb
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #336
4/15/2003  11:53 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/75540p-69817c.html

If McDyess can play through the whole season next year, and they still don't make the playoffs, then I'll bet he gets fired. Or not. As long as all the management types get along and have nice meetings and friendly banter around the office, Dolan is happy.
AUTOADVERT
falcindor
Member: #42
USA
4/15/2003  11:55 AM
Chaney has done well this season.

I think Chaney is getting the shaft. Being a black coach must be hard. But its really rough when you know you are getting paid less than 1/2 what Van Gundy was making. That shows how much NY care about you.
Fritz Alcindor Jr. *FUTURE KNICK GM* falcindor@hotmail.com
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
4/15/2003  12:02 PM
Posted by falcindor:

Chaney has done well this season.

I think Chaney is getting the shaft. Being a black coach must be hard. But its really rough when you know you are getting paid less than 1/2 what Van Gundy was making. That shows how much NY care about you.

Van Gundy had some winnig seasons before he got a big contract. I think he got the contract after their 1999-2000 run. Even before that he had some good winning seasons. I think if Chaney next year does well and the next his next contract will be right up there with JVG.
necrom33
Member: #234
USA
4/15/2003  1:00 PM
Non Chaney is a bad coach, black man or not. It's not a race issue, the man has been a substandard coach his whole career. NY has supplied him with excuse after excuse for a coach who came in with a career 'winning' percentage of .411 and has DROPPED.

Well, at least NY is not wasting the career of a REAL coach. IF and when NY gets some more talent, then a real coach can be brought in to lead us. In the meantime, the caretaker just keeps cashing his checks for nothing.

Oh, and for anybody who wants to answer how well Non did 'with this group' I'll put to you that yes he didn't do that badly, and that another REAL coach would've done even better.
fmoran
Member: #375
Canada
4/15/2003  3:58 PM
Posted by necrom33:

Non Chaney is a bad coach, black man or not. It's not a race issue, the man has been a substandard coach his whole career. NY has supplied him with excuse after excuse for a coach who came in with a career 'winning' percentage of .411 and has DROPPED.

Well, at least NY is not wasting the career of a REAL coach. IF and when NY gets some more talent, then a real coach can be brought in to lead us. In the meantime, the caretaker just keeps cashing his checks for nothing.

Oh, and for anybody who wants to answer how well Non did 'with this group' I'll put to you that yes he didn't do that badly, and that another REAL coach would've done even better.
I disagree there. Don did a great job, and more importantly, he's earned this team's respect. I think the Knicks overachieved this year, cause let's face it, they easily could have lost 55-60 games. Sure a few other coaches could have done a better job, but that doesn't make his effort any less admirable.

He's gotten through to the team, so let's see what he can do with Dice before we write him off.
go knicks!
necrom33
USA
4/15/2003  9:43 PM
I could see that if it weren't yet ANOTHER excuse for Non. Since he's been Head Coach, I've heard how he had to 'learn the team' even tho he's been in NY for 8 years with pretty much this same team core.

Then it was some nonsense about how he had to 'implement' his system, and now it's 'wait till Dice comes back'.

I could understand this if Chaney were a proven coach with a track record of WINNING, but that's not the case. He's lost EVERYWHERE he's been, including Houston, the year after he won the CoTY award. When he was fired, that same squad that he won CoTY award was well below .500.

The Knicks' signing of Non Chaney to a multi-year contract shows an unwillingness to look for solutions akin to the Clippers unwillingness to sign their premier players to long term contract extensions. By signing a coach with a losing record (an even worse record with the Knicks) to more seasons, the Knicks condemn NY to more years of losing at the fans' expense, simply for the sake of having a harmonious team existence.

Dolan and LayDUMB's search for a bunch of nice guys and team unity isn't necessarily a bad thing, but the directions they keep taking take this franchise further and further from a chance at the NBA title...
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/15/2003  11:12 PM
Come on Falcindor, Don Chaney is a rich man who has a guarnteed 6mm more or so coming to him over the next 3 years. How can you compare one mans salary when their winning % are on a different plains? I happen to give Chaney credit. I think he is a good coach. I think he did a job that would qualify as a B this year. I think he did much better than the majority of coaches and was fairly compensated for it.
RIP Crushalot😞
DefAndReb
4/15/2003  11:28 PM
I don't think any coach could have done much better with this bunch. Most of these guys would be third-string on the NBA's good teams. They played good team ball to overcome their limitations. If not for that 1-7 stretch at the season's start, they'd have made the playoffs.

Anyway, why get rid of a coach that people like and costs next to nothing, when the big problem is the lineup?

Knicks need to have a better combination of players, then they can start looking for a premiere coach. Why pay big money for a great coach when almost all your players are either bench meat or out of position?

The NY Knicks, having the highest payroll in the league, should have at least one of the top 10 players in the league and another from the top 25, and they just don't. So, they can either try to get one of the current top 10, or look for a guy who will be top 10 in four years.
necrom33
USA
4/15/2003  11:44 PM
I've been following Non since his days in Houston since he won (undeservedly, IMO) the CoTY award. The thing is that the guy apparently is truly a "sweetheart", and as such, gets a free pass in the media. But the bottom line, whether you like the guy or not, is that he is a LOSER. This is validated by his winning percentage (i think it's .403 now).

People misinterpret me and think that I'm saying that Non is not a good coach FOR THE KNICKS. I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that Non is a bad coach, PERIOD. If someone told me to name the coaches that are better than him out of today's coaches, I'd answer that the list of coaches who are worse would probably be a lot shorter.

Come three years from now, I'll be telling people that Non never took this team anywhere and they'll be telling me that 'what had happened' and 'circumstances' and all sorts of other things, but the bottom line is that Non will have lost, just like everywhere else he's been.

One last stat (I'll grant this: I'm not 100% sure of this, but I'm pretty sure): 11 years as a HEAD COACH, 2 playoff visits, 2 seasons with winning percentage. 12 years if you count this one with NY.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/16/2003  12:17 AM
dude you can expect the knicks to have sone better than 37-45 with that pathetic asortment of players. I'm not saying Chaney is great but he at least earned himself a shot. Now with Dice healthy next year and some possible moves, if he doesn't get us in the playoffs then, then you can go ahead and rip him. Last year i hated him, i questioned his ability to get respect from his players. i think this season he's proven that he's got their respect. We could be in a situation like portland or washington but we're not. The knicks a good bunch of guys, playing in the biggest city in the world. I think that has been carried on from riley to jvg and now to DC.
necrom33
USA
4/16/2003  8:16 AM
The fact remains that Chaney is a substandard coach with a track record of losing. Nothing he did here changes that; as a matter of fact he's lost MORE than he usually does.

Based on what I've seen from Non throughout his career, I'm seriously inclined to think this team overachieved IN SPITE of Non Chaney, not because of him. The look of cluelessness on the sidelines, poor substitution patterns, HORRIBLE play-calling off of time-outs...AAAARGGHHH...

This man sat on the sidelines as an assistant coach or not coaching at all for over 8 seasons while Head Coaching jobs were given to former players with no experience, college coaches with no NBA experience or assistant coaches with no Head Coaching experience. Yet Chaney, a former Head Coach and CoTY award, couldn't land a gig. If JVG hadn't quit mid-season, Chaney would probably STILL be an assistant, not sitting on the big chair.

Dolan and LayDUMB have had their PR machine working over time to hype this guy up, but please don't let it fool you. This will be Chaney's last gig for some time whenever he, thankfully, gets canned (cuz he's not walking away, he has to know nobody is going to come knocking down his door! ).

Regardless, I'm a Knicks fan, so I'm stuck watching this fool for the next three seasons. Ah, well...
DefAndReb
4/16/2003  9:30 AM
Three seasons? Nah. If they miss the playoffs again next year, he's out for sure. I understand the logic of this move on Dolan's part. There's no point in looking for an expensive, qualified head coach when the lineup is flawed.

We need a starting center, a true SF who can play D, and a legitimate backup PF in the event that McD can't play, which is more likely than him making a comeback. Our backcourt is good enough for now.

After we get a real starting lineup, then the org can look at the coaching issue more closely.
falcindor
Member: #42
USA
4/16/2003  9:45 AM
If Chaney didnt get the blame, Layden has to take it.

What the excuse for Layden. No backup plan.
Fritz Alcindor Jr. *FUTURE KNICK GM* falcindor@hotmail.com
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
4/16/2003  9:57 AM
Actually I would blame the Big Three for this one DOLAN, LAYDEN, CHANEY. Donlan is the absolute worst owner I have ever witnessed in professional sports. They have made no moves to bring in legitimate players and he has shown an unwillingness to make changes where it counts. Which leads me to Layden. This man should have been fired a few years ago, yet he still has the reigns of a team that is headed into further turmoil. He has made one bad trade after another and hasnt managed to bring in a SINGLE IMPACT player the ENTIRE time he has been GM. Chaney - the fall guy, he is a bad coach. He isnt a decent coach, he is a bad coach. He has followed the JVG system of not playing the young guys and that will further destroy this teams future. Frank Williams who has much more potential then WARD ever did has rotted on the bench all season. You tell me how a guy who is a much better prospect got no playing time over a kid who should have been throwing touchdown passes not laying bricks at the garden. There is plenty of blame to go around here, and Dolan has assured us that next season will be no different.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
necrom33
USA
4/16/2003  9:59 AM
Let me state that NY's biggest problem is not Chaney, I understand that. It starts all the way up with Dolan and LayDUMB.

I also understand and, to a certain extent, agree with the 'why get a great coach in here?' mentality. There isn't a coach alive that could lead this group to a ring, which is SUPPOSEDLY what this is all about, anyway.

I was just stating that Chaney is a bad coach. Always has been, always will be. A trip to the playoffs next season will not justify him as a 'good coach'.

Regardless, he's here. I'm not a big fan of Allan (I call him Allan Housless ), but I root for him since he wears a Knicks uni. Since he's our coach for the foreseeable future, I guess I'll do the same for Chaney... sheesh.
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
4/16/2003  10:05 AM
I am going to take this one step further. Why does everyone kiss JVG's A$$ so hard? He is a quitter. Everyone bashes Riley for leaving and going to Miami. When Riley was here he was the man, when JVG was first appointed NY coach nobody wanted him here. Now I do agree he was a good coach for a while in NY and I did start to like him...but he walked out on this team 10 games into the season. You should have a little more respect for your team, the sport, and your profession. That was an absolutely UNPROFESSIONAL move on his part yet he gets off as being a hero for deciding to walk away when things got tough. He quit, plane and simple.

Sorry I had to throw that in, it has been on my mind lately.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
necrom33
USA
4/16/2003  10:24 AM
Posted by OasisBU:

I am going to take this one step further. Why does everyone kiss JVG's A$$ so hard? He is a quitter. Everyone bashes Riley for leaving and going to Miami. When Riley was here he was the man, when JVG was first appointed NY coach nobody wanted him here. Now I do agree he was a good coach for a while in NY and I did start to like him...but he walked out on this team 10 games into the season. You should have a little more respect for your team, the sport, and your profession. That was an absolutely UNPROFESSIONAL move on his part yet he gets off as being a hero for deciding to walk away when things got tough. He quit, plane and simple.

Sorry I had to throw that in, it has been on my mind lately.

Actually, he quit 19 games into the season. He left with a 10-9 record, which was the last time a Head Coach had NY above .500. Chaney coached NY to a win the next game as an assistant, was named Head Coach after that, and it's been downhill ever since....

I'm not defending his quitting, but I wonder what went on that we DON'T know about. How come a coach with his record couldn't get a contract extension, yet Non Chaney has gotten 3(?) in the last three seasons?

My belief is that when talking about lack of professionalism, a REAL HARD look has to be taken at the top of the Knicks food chain. I gotta say I've NEVER seen such incompetence in an owner/GM. These guys make me wish we were run by the Clippers' Sterling and Baylor!
knickgeek
Member: #46
USA
4/16/2003  10:52 AM
All this talk of winning percentages has me wondering - are the NBA coaches winning percentages listed and compared somewhere? Here's what I found:

A top ten listing:
http://www.steugene.pvt.k12.wi.us/nba/nbatop10coaches.html

Sportswriter rankings at ESPN:
http://espn.go.com/nba/s/2002/0919/1433805.html

But the coaches aren't ranked by winning percentage.

Racial disparity in the ESPN rankings?
http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/aldridge_david/1435691.html

I wonder if there isn't another issue here. Remember when Phil Jackson wanted to return to coaching? Do you think he considered the worst teams, the teams that needed rebuilding? No. he chose the team with Shaq and Kobe. I think having good players certainly helps a coach's winning percentage.

I predict that JVG will choose a team with potential when he returns to coaching, not a rebuilding project.

Not to make excuses, but rather than picking out one person to blame for the Knicks' problems, you have to look at an entire system and a history of bad decisions of the past few years.

[Edited by - knickgeek on 04/16/2003 10:52:54]
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/16/2003  12:00 PM
necrom33, nice post....you have proved nothing.
Chaney has guys playing better than they have in the past, and Allan "Housless" is now a top 10 scorer in the NBA.

What did you think the Knicks record would be when Dice went down for the season?

As for that once a loser always a loser crap Don is highly regarded and respected around the NBa by his peers.

If you want to rip his track record you could do the same for Joe Torre who was always a loser. Oh wait, now he's won 4 of 7 WS with the Yankees roster. I wonder if that has anything to do with his success.

Some coaches are good fits, others arent. Nelson was bed here, but he's turned around a Dal franchise that was a joke for years.

Chaney has his players playing well, and many of them overachieving. They play hard.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
necrom33
USA
4/16/2003  12:16 PM
Posted by fishmike:

necrom33, nice post....you have proved nothing.
Chaney has guys playing better than they have in the past, and Allan "Housless" is now a top 10 scorer in the NBA.

What did you think the Knicks record would be when Dice went down for the season?

As for that once a loser always a loser crap Don is highly regarded and respected around the NBa by his peers.

If you want to rip his track record you could do the same for Joe Torre who was always a loser. Oh wait, now he's won 4 of 7 WS with the Yankees roster. I wonder if that has anything to do with his success.

Some coaches are good fits, others arent. Nelson was bed here, but he's turned around a Dal franchise that was a joke for years.

Chaney has his players playing well, and many of them overachieving. They play hard.
Man, you're just wrong all over. Let's tackle this, then.

OH, I see!! So we have to wait until Non wins some rings to decide if he's any good, huh? Man, that's some nonsense right there. Whether you believe me or not is immaterial, what I'm going to tell you is FACT. EVERY SINGLE TEAM NON HAS COACHED IMPROVED IMMEDIATELY AFTER HE LEFT. If you care to argue this, PLEASE look it up first. I'm not guessing here. It the truth.

But I know. They won after he left cuz they 'got talent', right?

Or this: He's been a Head Coach 11 seasons, made it to the Postseason 3 times, never made it out of the first round. Oh, it was 'talent'.

He wins CoTY, next season is fired. Season after that Houston is a powerhouse, next season they win the first of back to backs.

Oh, yes, he's highly regarded. Yes, because he seems like a truly nice guy. But if you listen to the broadcasts, how often do you hear praise for his Xs and Os? You hear a lot of 'true gentleman in the game' crap, but I prefer an ahole who can COACH than a nice guy who can't.

Oh, and Housless isn't a top-10 scorer. If you care, check that out as well.
Chaney will be coach for two more seasons

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy