[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Draft 2003 - The European Invasion and the Late Knicks Picks
Author Thread
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
4/14/2003  12:21 PM
This draft is going to be more interesting then some are making it out to be. Here is a list of European names from ESPN:

The names that college players and NBA fans better brush up on:
1. Darko Milicic, 7-1, Yugoslavia
2. Zoran Planinic, 6-6, Croatia
3. Boris Diaw, 6-8, France
4. Michael Pietrus, 6-6, France
5. Zarko Cabarkapa, 6-11, Yugoslavia
6. Victor Khryapa, 6-9, Russia
7. Anderson Varejao, 6-10, Brazil
8. Sofoklis Schostanitis, 6-9, Greece
9. Zaur Pachulia, 6-11, Turkey
10. Aleksander Pavolic, 6-7, Yugoslavia
11. Kosta Perovic, 7-2, Yugoslavia
12. Pavel Podkolzin, 7-4, Russia
13. Carlos Delfino, 6-7, Argentina
14. Slavco Vranes, 7-6, Yugoslavia
15. Edu Hernandez, 7-0, Spain

Now not all of these players will be good, however there seem to be a lot of big men coming. Also, if you look at the first round bubble names - guys who may even fall into the second round where we have 2 picks:

The seniors who are on the first-round bubble:
24. Kyle Korver, F, Creighton
25. Marcus Hatten, G, St. John's
26. Troy Bell, G, Boston College
27. Hollis Price, G, Oklahoma
28. Chris Marcus, C, Western Kentucky
29. Luke Walton, F, Arizona
30. Jason Kapono, F, UCLA
31. Marcus Banks, G, UNLV

#29 on that list, Luke Walton - now I dont know how the rest of you feel but I am a fan. I think he would be a great addition to the Knicks, he has decent size and some skillz so he is worth the draft pick if its round #2.

Just because we arent picking #1, 2, or 3 (which remains to be seen because we could get lucky like Orlando did) doesnt mean we wont get some decent talent. I remember last year nobody was jumping for joy about the draft. Sure there were some decent players in it but nobody outstanding after the first few picks (Amare is an exception). This year I feel like the European talent may make up for the lack of US picks. I dont know much about these players but I bet there are a few sleepr picks in that list of 15.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
AUTOADVERT
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
4/14/2003  12:28 PM
i think there's a lot to be had in this draft if the GMs do their homework... the second round has gems. Chris Marcus is worth our second, second round pick if he's on the board. if he could have just stayed healthy, he'd be gold(en).
fmoran
Member: #375
Canada
4/14/2003  10:18 PM
Word is Hakim Warrick is coming out for the draft. He may just be the player to draft for the Knicks, ensuring we can fill in the SF position if we choose to trade Spree.

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/hakimwarrick.htm
go knicks!
Caseloads
4/14/2003  11:54 PM
Posted by fmoran:

Word is Hakim Warrick is coming out for the draft. He may just be the player to draft for the Knicks, ensuring we can fill in the SF position if we choose to trade Spree.

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/hakimwarrick.htm
dude's a beanpole...
OasisBU
USA
4/15/2003  9:50 AM
Well if he can be durable I dont care what size he is, the kid can play some ball.
Caseloads
4/15/2003  12:05 PM
Posted by OasisBU:

Well if he can be durable I dont care what size he is, the kid can play some ball.
during the entire NCAA final game, all the announcer was saying is "this guy is a ballerina!"
OasisBU
USA
4/15/2003  12:53 PM
Posted by Caseloads:
Posted by OasisBU:

during the entire NCAA final game, all the announcer was saying is "this guy is a ballerina!"

Because he has nice moves - granted he is definitely Camby Esq in terms of build, but boy did he look good with the ball.
LarrythaLeo
Member: #71
USA
4/15/2003  2:17 PM
Hakim Warrick has three things that Camby never had or worked on until it was too late:

1. The ability to put on weight, Warrick put on 10-20 pounds of muscle from his freshmen to sophomore year.

2. Warrick has a pretty decent mid-range to post up game, he even looks as if his shot will improve if he continues to work at it.

3. He can finish on those layups that Camby was notorious for selling out on.

with that said I believe that if the knicks were to get Warrick to play the three he would add even more excitement to us than Camby was able to do.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
4/15/2003  2:25 PM
Posted by LarrythaLeo:

Hakim Warrick has three things that Camby never had or worked on until it was too late:

1. The ability to put on weight, Warrick put on 10-20 pounds of muscle from his freshmen to sophomore year.

2. Warrick has a pretty decent mid-range to post up game, he even looks as if his shot will improve if he continues to work at it.

3. He can finish on those layups that Camby was notorious for selling out on.

with that said I believe that if the knicks were to get Warrick to play the three he would add even more excitement to us than Camby was able to do.

Warrick is getting hyped like Wilcox after the terps won the national championship. I like warrick if available the Knicks should definitely grab him with a pick. But the main thing the KNicks need is a center and Warrick isn't that. I still think the way to go is Lang or Perkins in the first round and in the second round take Slavco Varanes or the Russian Pavel Podkolzin. The way to go in the NBA is to get space eaters with some skills.
fmoran
Member: #375
Canada
4/15/2003  4:07 PM
Posted by Vmart:

But the main thing the KNicks need is a center and Warrick isn't that.
There aren't many quality centers in the draft. Our best bet is free agency, especially if Kaman goes early. Yeah, I don't like him either, but he's the lone center out there. I think Lang and or Perking could fall as low as the second round, and with Denver's number 2 we should be able to pick up some size.

Our team could really use some young, athletic, exciting players, like the Warricks and Outlaws of the world. They'd be our very own Masons and Miles, and we aren't exactly deep at the 3. Grabbing Warrick could, dare I say it, open up a trade for Spree were we could bring in some quality size.
go knicks!
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/15/2003  6:57 PM
i would avoid warwick at all costs.
RIP Crushalot😞
Swishfm3
Member: #392
4/16/2003  4:57 PM
Korver in the second round would be outstanding. The kid knows hoe to win and basically carried Creighton by himself all season....
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
4/16/2003  5:17 PM
Kosta Perovic, thats the guy the Knicks should shoot for. This guy is young 7'3'' 245 and likens himself to KG. The Knicks need a shot blocker and from what I read this guy challenges everything. At 18 he is a player they should look into. He is going to be the steal of the draft.

Draft 2003 - The European Invasion and the Late Knicks Picks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy