I am going to be dissapointed
Author Thread
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
4/13/2003  8:53 PM
Posted by DefAndReb:

I don't have a problem with playing the young guys, but whoever is on the floor better play hard. Watching the games on TV is not the same as paying exhorbitant ticket prices to watch millionaires flop.

Understand, it is a criminal act to throw games, which means to lose on purpose, not worth the difference between a 9th and 10th pick. If Layden was worth a damn as a GM, the Knicks would not be in this situation in the first place. This draft is not going to vindicate him.

Playing young guys or playing without enthusiasm is not what "throwing games" means.

The Knicks will not be a championship calibur team until:

- Cablevision/Dolan is gone
- Mills is gone
- Layden is gone

And only then will this team begin its work towards a championship. In the meantime, we can only hope that they play competitive and exciting basketball. Being the best in the East is meaningless when the best wouldn't even have 1st-round homecourt in the West.

Without talent you won't get home court. Talent come from drafting and picking great players. You only get great players through free agency and drafting trades are usually players of equal value and someone comes out to be a winner or the cancel each other out. If the Knicks were smart they would know that none of their players are tradeable and they are capped out so you can forget the high profile free agents they are are left with the draft pick which by the way is their most tradeable commodity which is sad. Yeah I would have liked the KNicks to have pulled a total tank this year now they are stuck in no mans land. This years draft is weak and teams won't give players for a 9 or 10 pick not good one anyway. This season was a total waste of time. Lets just hope for the lotto ball to come up orange and blue.
AUTOADVERT
DefAndReb
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #336
4/13/2003  10:45 PM
You have to look at the odds. The draft is like betting horses, but you only get to bet once. You don't put your only money on a 20-1 longshot.

The draft is not a solution. It can be helpful, but only after we have a star player on the team. It is only a big deal if they get a top-3 pick. Otherwise, they should try to get someone who can make the team better now through a trade, because after the Amare debacle, the GM's are going to be more careful about letting slip anyone over 6-9 unless he's got a criminal record. Don't count on a guy being available at 9th pick who is going to get minutes over KT or even Doleac.

If Layden can use the pick and a player to get one of these guys:

http://www.nbawire.com/nba-free-agents.html

Well, not just any of those guys, but you get the point. I'd definitely rather have Odom next year than Kamen who will take a few years just to be a "decent" NBA center. And, sure, maybe I'm wrong and Kamen turns out to be great. But the odds are he will be average at best, and the odds of Odom being a dynamite Knick are much better.

I'm not going to get excited about any pick below 5th. Ever.

BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
4/14/2003  12:06 AM
"I'm not going to get excited about any pick below 5th. Ever."-What about the Bryans, McGradys, and Pierces of the world. They all slipped for reasons. There will be players available after the top 3 every year, just because Amare worked out this year doesn't mean that will never happen again. It happens every year, guys drop on draft day due to bad workouts, rumors about injuries, etc., good players can still be picked up between 6 and 15. However, I agree with you, the Knicks need an overhaul with management, and Lamar Odom. Please Lamar.
#Knickstaps
DefAndReb
Member: #336
4/14/2003  1:33 PM
Hey, I hope it happens again (Amare, Pierce), but I'm not going to get my hopes up. But even if a gem was available at 9th pick, think Layden would spot it? As a fan, I'd rather be pessimistic and proven wrong than optimistic and proven wrong. It keeps me from kicking the TV set in.
I am going to be dissapointed

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy