[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Vujanic staying in Europe
Author Thread
knickgeek
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #46
USA
4/4/2003  10:19 AM
By now you guys have read that Vujanic is staying in Europe at least two more years.

The Knicks just don't have good luck with foreign players, do they?
AUTOADVERT
Armondaone
Member: #379
4/4/2003  10:40 AM
IM getting tired of this guy. I say we ship his ass to clipper land for miller if we can. this guys is giving us the run around. we should make his life miserable by shipping his right to like cleveland, clipperland or denver. our point guards did a decent job anyways.

lets not beg this guy to come over. we are talk about msg and the knicks if he isn't trying to accept the gift NY is giving him, screw him then.

Welcome to New York....Scrub
knickgeek
Member: #46
USA
4/4/2003  11:02 AM
Well, I guess to put it in a different light, the guy was able to get more $ over in europe. I still have high hopes for Frank Williams anyway.
DefAndReb
Member: #336
4/4/2003  11:08 AM
No, we should hold onto his rights for at least one more season, see how he plays. We could get him for 04-05, when he's 24 and ready to play big minutes, or if a great trade comes along for us, we could use him in the deal. This is not at all like the Weis situation (yet).

Please Scott Layden, don't put Andre Miller on this team. I was a pro-Miller guy before this season, but not anymore. Better to ride out Eisley's contract and see how Milos develops. If we trade the rights for Milos, it should be part of a trade where we get a superstar player, nothing less.
dodger78
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #250
Germany
4/4/2003  12:20 PM
Well you guys got to admit that at the current Knicks-PG situation its def. best for him to go to Madrid and develope even more in an great environment, in a good league and earn some serious money!
Its sad, i would have loved to see Milos play in orange and blue!!!but i can understand his view of the Knicks-Situation!!!
fahkyu911
Member: #343
4/4/2003  12:25 PM
vujanic is so over-rated and hes not even in the league yet, but anyways layden has done it again. if he would have dipped into the 4.5 mill exception vujanic would be playing in ny. i dont blame him for not taking the 350,000 dollars offered to him by the cheapskate retard layden.
Explosive23
Member: #184
United Kingdom
4/4/2003  12:41 PM
Posted by DefAndReb:

Please Scott Layden, don't put Andre Miller on this team.

There's been talk about Miller going to the Jazz.
dodger78
Germany
4/4/2003  12:50 PM
Posted by fahkyu911:

vujanic is so over-rated and hes not even in the league yet, but anyways layden has done it again. if he would have dipped into the 4.5 mill exception vujanic would be playing in ny. i dont blame him for not taking the 350,000 dollars offered to him by the cheapskate retard layden.

No way Vujanic is "overrated" this guy can play big time! Its another question if he's a true PG!!! But he definatly can play ball!!!
DefAndReb
4/4/2003  2:13 PM
Posted by Explosive23:
Posted by DefAndReb:

Please Scott Layden, don't put Andre Miller on this team.

There's been talk about Miller going to the Jazz.

Phew! Maybe Stockton can impart some crucial leadership knowledge to Andre.

Also, guys, whether or not Milos is overrated isn't important yet. He's got buzz, so other teams are interested. We own his NBA rights for now, so even if he never plays for NY, he can be used as a bargaining chip in trades. He's still valuable to the Knicks, even if he doesn't play in the NBA yet. Our biggest problem is not the PG position, it's the entire frontline, followed by the bench.

If Milos came here next year, he'd be playing off the bench behind Eisley, maybe Ward, and competing for time with Williams. Why would he want to risk that happening? He'll play here when he's ready to be number 1 or 2, and that's going to take more time.
fahkyu911
4/4/2003  2:53 PM
hes not a point guard hes a hooting gaurd and the knicks have enough of those. also if he wont come to ny why would u think another team would give u anything good for him. and its always better for someone to get nba experience and not waste time playing for real madrid which is not even a good team and only spends money(sounds like the knicks of europe).
Caseloads
Member: #41
4/4/2003  3:49 PM
the guy will get a little more development in...
DefAndReb
4/4/2003  5:29 PM
Posted by fahkyu911:

hes not a point guard hes a hooting gaurd and the knicks have enough of those. also if he wont come to ny why would u think another team would give u anything good for him. and its always better for someone to get nba experience and not waste time playing for real madrid which is not even a good team and only spends money(sounds like the knicks of europe).

If he comes to the NBA and has a weak season in NY, then his value goes down. By staying in Europe and continuing to play well, his value goes up, because he's young and talented, and desired by other teams. Remember, the Knicks can't pay him a lot of money since they're over the cap and he's a second-rounder. This guy knows that GMs are drooling over him, so he stands to make a lot more money by staying put. Of course, if he stays there and plays like crap then at least he has a good-paying job in Europe.

He'll come to the USA when he's a starter making starter money. It would be stupid for him to come here, play third or fourth string PG on a dump team like the Knicks and not get paid well, or even second or third string SG, since you consider him a SG (he plays PG in Europe). He can't go to another team that needs him (Clippers, Cavs) because the Knicks own him. He's in the power seat, as long as he continues to play great in Europe.

What would you do if you were him? Come to the mediocre Knicks, make no money, and sit on the bench? I didn't think so.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/4/2003  7:02 PM
This, from Insider:

Knicks burned by Milos Vujanic

The Knicks got some shocking news on Thursday when the agent for second-round draft pick Milos Vujanic reportedly told the team that Vujanic was set to sign a multi-year deal with Real Madrid.

Vujanic, widely considered the top point guard in Europe, has been on the fence about joining the Knicks since he was drafted. Insider first reported in December, while in Yugoslavia, that Vujanic was hesitant to join the Knicks next season.

Vujanic told Insider he was concerned about his role with the team and how many minutes he'd get. He saw three point guards on the Knicks' roster, and it made him nervous.

"I just want to make sure I'm getting a chance to play," Vujanic told Insider. "If not, it's maybe better for me to stay here."

Frederic Weis, meet Milos Vujanic.

The news could be devastating to the Knicks, who lack a real point guard. Many felt Vujanic would be perfect for the team's up tempo style.

At first glance, his game is eerily reminiscent of Steve Nash's, with one or two differences. Both players are fantastic shooters. They both love to push the ball up the court and always keep their cool under pressure. Vujanic, however, is a better athlete and a tougher defender than Nash. He's also great at splitting defenders and getting to the basket.

What went wrong for the Knicks? Vujanic's agent alluded to a dispute over money. According to reports in New York, GM Scott Layden was only offering Vujanic the minimum to play for the Knicks next season. Vujanic can make much more than that in Europe.

However, despite reports to the contrary, the Knicks' hands aren't tied on this. They can use part of their mid-level exception to sign Vujanic. Theoretically, they could offer him as much as $4.5 million a year.

However, it appears New York played hardball instead ... and lost.

"Yes, Scott Layden is upset. I am also upset, because Scott is a very big man and knows his job very well," agent Goran Ristanovic told the N.Y. Post. "The best thing for Milos is first go to Europe, then go to NBA."

Still, Ristanovic, sees Vujanic eventually playing for the Knicks after another season or two in Europe.

"After one year, maybe he will come to New York," Ristanovic said. "Maybe one year, maybe two years. If the player is real good, it doesn't matter. We want to say to New York fans and the Knicks that when he's 24 or 25, when he has some money in his pocket, he will come to the NBA. And I know he will play for New York. And I know he will play in the NBA very long -- 10 years. He has great feeling about the Knicks."
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
fahkyu911
4/4/2003  10:17 PM
THAT ARTICLE SAYS IT ALL
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
4/4/2003  10:20 PM
Well as much as I dont like it, I cant say that i'm surprised. Its the management plain and simple. Until they fix that, the team is not going to get any better. Vujanic wanted a pay day, and Layden wouldnt give it to him. I agree he is unproven NBA wise, however this was yet another stupid move by NY management when they had the opportunity to get some real young talent onto this roster. I dont see things getting better until Layden is gone, there is a new coach in place, and a new owner. Thats 3 big moves that must happen before this team starts to head in the right direction. Until then the doorway to mediocrity is wide open and it seems the Knicks are headed through it on the way to the Denver Nuggets rebuilding 101 class.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
DefAndReb
4/5/2003  10:03 AM
The article implies that because Milos does not want to come here next year, that he is no different from Weis. Not so.

Weis came to play summer league ball, and he sucked. The embarrassment was too much for him, he felt betrayed by JVG (who didn't want the guy around in the first place and showed it) and the Knicks, and he refused to come back. We still have his rights, but he'll never play here.

Milos does not want to have to play summer league and risk looking bad playing against scrubs, and he probably thinks he is good enough not to have to play summer ball. If he plays well next season in Europe, we can get a lot more for him in a trade than we could right now. The difference is that Milos is pretty good, Weis is average (and that's in Europe!)

Also, let's remember that a lot of you guys predicted the Knicks would be the worst team in the league this year, or one of the bottom five. Didn't happen. Reason? Coach Chaney got them playing a lot better than expected. When the players respect the coach, they play better as a team. I'm not saying we couldn't get a better coach, but give some credit to Chaney for getting a .300 team to play .500 ball.

The real problem is Dolan. He's the one who put Mills and Layden in charge (Checketts would have fired his buddy Layden by now). Dolan cares more about the executives getting along well than he does about building a champion. He talks about making the playoffs rather than hoisting a trophy.

A few months ago, Dolan guaranteed the Rangers would make the playoffs. Last night, they were eliminated from possible postseason play. What did this clown do? He guaranteed they would make them next season, or he would reduce season ticket prices. He should be smacked.
fahkyu911
4/5/2003  10:45 AM
speaking of frederic weis, if u read the post today u would be luaghing all day cuz laydens thinking of convincing him to play for the knicks. sounds good maybe he can be vince's personal dunking posterizing boy. layden has a screw loose. any other gm would have got vujanic here, but layden is too conservative and has ni imagination. its fairly obvious he should go. th only good thing he has done is draft milos and now he might **** that up too.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
4/5/2003  11:44 AM
Vujanic hasn't officially signed and can't do so until the end of june. He might be just using it as a negotiation tool or something like that. Layden might still be able to get him if he antis up some of the mid level exception. But right now it's time to give Frank Williams a try because he hasn't gotten a real chance yet and i saw some good things he brought to the table from the little we've seen of him this season.
dodger78
Germany
4/9/2003  8:59 AM
Vujanic signings with Barcelona makes really much sense for him as he can really play in one of the best european teams next season. and will be coached by europes best coach, svetislav pesic!!!
abdurrahman
Member: #228
Spain
4/10/2003  9:55 AM
Posted by dodger78:

Vujanic signings with Barcelona makes really much sense for him as he can really play in one of the best european teams next season. and will be coached by europes best coach, svetislav pesic!!!
Pesic?...Obradovic, Tanjevic, Messina, Maljkovic, Ivkovic, Ivanovic, Aíto, Devincenzis, Petrovic, Vukovic, Zeravica, Lolo Sáinz, D´Antoni, Gomelski even Ergun Ataman. You must study our history. But I´m agree with you F.c. Barcelona is better than Denver or Cleveland and Barcelona is the best City to live in Europe : with history, sun, sea (with the prettiest girls that I´ve could see)... it´s a paradise and with some millions of Euros you can live like a king. Excuse me but I prefer live in Barcelona too and Layden must know this because the Serbian guys only leaves all of that for the money and we have 4,5 M$ (thank you Shandon, Clarence, Howard...Scott!!!)
Vujanic staying in Europe

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy