[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Ricky Davis and offseason battleplans
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/18/2003  5:15 PM
If the Cavs do indeed get into position to draft Anthony or James and Davis becomes expendable-as a Knick fan and pseudo arm chair GM-that player goes on my number 1 hit list. Whatever negatives in terms of immaturity he brings to the table is offset by his incredible array of skills and athletic ability. IMO once he is around a veteran core and good mangement-it would give him the right scenario in which to flourish as aplayer and grow up as a man. Remember he just turned 23. He fits our needs perfectly at the 3 and if Laydumb works out a deal to bring in Milos and we can draft Kaman--not only do we improve threefold next year but we have a BEAUTIFUL young core of players set for years to come.

I do not believe in long term overhaul's. I believe the Knicks had it right once upon a time when they were able to bring in young guys like Houston Childs Smith Starks Mason and when they wore out their welcome they were flipped for the Cambys the Johnson's the Sprewell's.

We've all atlked about guys who could help the club throughout the year but as the season ends and draft positions set in and you can evaluate your needs, there is no doubt in my book that

A. Sprewell is slipping and aging-we need an upgrade-an athletic upgrade and Ricky Davis could not be a better fit.
B We need atleast two Centers who are CENTERS. There is almost no doubt in my mind that I want Kaman and I believe when draft positions are final-we need to recognize a team that has an abundance of big men like a Chicago who may hold a better draft position above teams who would draft Kaman ahead of us. That is where both second rounders may come into play. We can offer both to a club in order to swap places up 2-3 nothches.
C. Finally we lock up this milos Vujonic deal. If we wanted this player that bad or if someone evaluated that he would be an integral part of the team for years--he SHOULD be signed NOW using the MLE. Sitting back and being patient has caused RM to get into the picture. Scott Layden took so much time looking at yao Ming last year when we had little to no shot at him-yet he wastes time getting milos signed. Even if he is signed then traded somewhere else in a package Im cool with that. but dont waste this asset for 0.

Sprewell--I am convinced that he ultimately has to go and that Kurt thomas will be schleped out as our best tradeable asset besides the picks.

the first deal if we can work it would be trading KT Sprewell and 2004 1st and 2nd round draft choices+3mm$ to Cleveland for Big Z and Davis.

Draft Kaman if we can move up just a bit to ensure we get him--I dont think he will go higher than 6 so we are right there. If it takes both second rounder or a future restrcited pick in the first round to get the CENTER of our future just add in a 2006 restricted. What ever it takes.

Sign and trade for Howard whatever we dont use up either the 2006 pick or the second rounders we use them together with Ward and Williams in a sign and trade with Denver.

Lastly sign Antonio Daniels to a 3y 6mm dollar contract.

That would put us at
C Big Z 7-3 275 Chris Kaman 7- 255
PF Mcdyess 6-9 245 Juwan Howard 6-9 260 Harrington 6-7 235
SF Davis 6-7 190 Andersen 6-6 210 Spoon 6-7 270
SG Houston 6-6 210 Daniels 6-4 215
PG Eisley 6-2 180 Vujonic 6-3 170

We are 2 deep at every position-we have a hedge in place against Mcdyess's injury with Howard who would be utilized as a 35 mt player anyway in the frontcourt so we can limit Mcdyess and BIG Z to 30-32 MTS to keep them fresh and healthy. We spot Kaman and let him learn the game and work with professional Knick trainers.
We have players who can play two positions like Daniels and Andersen for various scenarios.

We have a nice balance of players with two seperate cores in place. We already have a style of play and the size and athletic ability will enhance that.

basically its one massive overhaul on the run that takes into account both present and future and EVERYTHINg I said is reasonable and potentially realistsic.

RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
3/18/2003  6:56 PM
Briggs for GM.

I've always loved Davis, he's an exciting and young player. I'll take that chance and get two quality centers in the process any day of the week, Davis has the chance to be a star.

Also, in the Knicks offense, Davis and Vujanic (judging by the scouting reports on Vujanic in that hes very fast and shoots a ton of 3s) would fit in perfectly for Chaney's offense.

[Edited by - bigsm00th on 03/18/2003 19:01:55]
#Knickstaps
DefAndReb
Member: #336
3/19/2003  9:49 AM
Would Davis have the professional attitude to back up Houston and not start?

I certainly wouldn't want another SG playing SF, as the Knicks have been doing with little benefit for years now.
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
3/19/2003  11:55 AM
hmm why is it that the scenarios on here are always better then the reality of what the Knicks manage to pull off? I like the idea, but I dont see it happening just because it is such a good idea.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
Dan1078
Member: #283
3/19/2003  12:34 PM
I wouldnt want Ricky Davis on the Knicks. He is the most over-rated player in the league.

Not only is his attitude cancerous, his game is over-hyped.
He's a ball hog and takes awful awful shots.

Also, teh Knicks cannot use the mid-leve exception next year.
I think it has to do with signing Doleac.

You cant pay a rookie with the mid level exception anyway. He has to get rookie salary. The friction with Milos is that he could only make a maximum of 300,000 his rookie year, while his int'l team could pay him alot more.

Personally, I think that all will be ironed out with Milos and that
he'll be the Knick's starting point guard by February.
falcindor
Member: #42
USA
3/19/2003  1:35 PM
Every team gets a mid-level every year. We wont have a 1.4mil exception this year becuas we signed Doleac with it. Its one of those few time Knicks would have been better off giving Doleac more. You cant use a 1.4mil exception 2 years in a row.
Fritz Alcindor Jr. *FUTURE KNICK GM* falcindor@hotmail.com
BRIGGS
3/24/2003  10:22 AM
Ricky Davis is 6-7 and that is tall enough for SF. The problem with the Knicks is that we start a center who is 6-8 and cant jump and othella is between 6-6 6-7. That makes the 6-5 sprewell all the more vulnerable. Put it this way Ricky Davis is only 23 years old. This would be his rookie year out of college the regular way and hes putting up 20-5-5 and 2 steals. He could be the best athlete in the nBA and the Knicks are truly missing that. Right now is stock is lower a bit because of a few antics. What a perfect time to go after him. the Knicks have a better team structure-an environment that will be condusive to Ricky. Sprewell wont get traded because no one wants him. If Sprewell cares about the team-all the money he makes etc.. he should go through a vigorous offseason weigfht training and flexibilty program that puts 10 pounds on his frame and take his NEW role as sixth man. Sprewell CANNOT start for the Knicks next year--and they must address as best they can the 4-5 slots. If they sit tight hoping dice comes back and that this team will just play much better with him is a losing mentality. We have to make moves with the distinct possibility that dice wont be back-yet have the 30-32mt slot there for him if he does. thats why I like the Howard proposition. he would make more money with the knicks the Nuggets get a draft pick and player paid for -or if they are interested in harrington which they might be--but getting something of value is better than letting howard walk. If they ended up with harrington and a high second round pick + the$ for wards buyout-thats a good deal.

Im scared laydumb is going to sell our draft pick with wards contract for andre miller and pay him a kings ransom. What a f mistake that would be. But thats what we have become accustomed to.
RIP Crushalot😞
falcindor
USA
3/24/2003  1:49 PM
That trade free agent trade you put up is very unrealistic.
Caseloads
Member: #41
3/24/2003  5:35 PM
Word is the Cavaliers would look to move SG Ricky Davis if they wound up with prep G/F LeBron James in the draft. The stunt Davis pulled in search of a triple-double last week -- he shot at Utah's basket in an effort to get his own rebound -- doesn't help the leaguewide perception that Davis is a selfish player, but it probably won't kill his trade value. Davis is a big-time scorer who makes a modest ($5 million next year) salary. If the Cavs win the lottery, they'll attempt a draft-day trade. . . .

http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/sean_deveney/20030323.html
Swishfm3
Member: #392
3/27/2003  8:38 PM
Dude...you in here talking about Kaman??? You must be white...cuz only white guys like white stiff centers. One good game against a Duke team that has no center and you're all over him like a squirral with a nut.....
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
3/27/2003  9:59 PM
Wow thats not racist. Kaman is the best 7 footer coming out in the draft this year other then Milicic. He can score, rebound, and block very well, he did it routinely throughout the year. Learn what you're talking about before coming in here and just dissing people.
#Knickstaps
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
3/28/2003  12:00 AM
Posted by Swishfm3:

Dude...you in here talking about Kaman??? You must be white...cuz only white guys like white stiff centers. One good game against a Duke team that has no center and you're all over him like a squirral with a nut.....

HAHA.. good post, As knicks fans didn't we have enough of Dudley, longley, Doleac, and Knight....BTW be careful swish, he is a doleac fan...... LOL
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
falcindor
USA
3/28/2003  5:55 AM
Kaman is no stiff. He has skills. Think Tim Duncan as a sophomore at Wake Forest. He can walk in and be a average C off the bat, but if he continue to work hard he could be among the elite.
DefAndReb
3/28/2003  9:23 AM
Say what you want about "Milk" Dudley. At least he can read.

"PATRICK EWING CANNOT READ THIS SIGN."

Anyone remember that? Not very nice, was it? So, let's not sling ethnic crap around. It's not cool, and it has nothing to do with basketball.

That said, I remember Chris Mihm being the best 7-footer in the draft a few years ago, some projecting him as no.1 pick. Now he's bench meat on the worst team in the league. He's not bad, just average.

falcindor
USA
3/28/2003  10:07 AM
Mihms injury has pushed him back. Hes proabably above average but he plays behind bug Z. He is putting up very good number for how many minutes he plays a game.

6 pt 6 boards .7 blk in only 15 minutes a game. Thats very good.
Caseloads
Member: #41
3/28/2003  10:24 AM
Let it be known - most good players on bad teams are really bad, and most bad players on bad teams are really stifled.

that's what separates good teams from bad teams. pretty much all NBA teams (except denver), have serious talent. it's just bad teams don't make their talent work.

Swishfm3
Member: #392
3/28/2003  2:27 PM
Kaman is no stiff. He has skills. Think Tim Duncan as a sophomore at Wake Forest. He can walk in and be a average C off the bat, but if he continue to work hard he could be among the elite...

Is everyone here a crack head?? I just read on a different post that we should consider Zo...now this dude is comparing Kaman to Duncan (college years)....unreal.

Let me ask this...HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE SEEN (with your own eyes) KAMAN PLAY???

Now please no fibbing.....as far as I can tell there have not been any nationally televised Central Mich...(bet half you didn't even know that's the team he plays for)
DefAndReb
3/28/2003  4:02 PM
I think we should draft Ruben Studdard from American Idol. No. 205
BRIGGS
3/28/2003  5:37 PM
I watched Chris Kaman play three different times. Someone comparing him to Tim Duncan is wrong. Tim Duncan has a much more physical base. I would compare Chris Kaman with Rik Smits. He has tremendous agility for a big man[can shoot with either hand]He's a true 7 feet but appears to be even bigger-with a large wingspan. He knows the angles on how to post up and then has good footwork[most of the times] to create very easy shots. Has a shooting touch that would rival Tim Duncan Patrick Ewing or Smits which is the biggest reason he is so attractive as a center. While he has not shown the ability to hit a 16 foot jump shot-he really hasnt had to show it because his post game has been dominant. But you can see from his foul shot[and he lead the NCAAs in attempts] that he could EASILY morph into a prolifec mid range shooter. Runs the floor very well. Above average basketball IQ.

Downside-needs more strength but has the frame to put it on. Hes 7 foot 250 and work with physical trainers should move him into the 265 range which should be very solid for him. Needs to strengthen his base and hands. Hasnt played against many top flight big men. In the third game I watched aginst Duke -he appeared to tire quite a bit and looked exhausted mid way through the 2nd half. the pace was very quick and he was playing In salt lake which you would have to get used to-especially a big man. Would presently be pushed around a bit by pro players until he put on that extra strength.

He is only 20 years old. He started college at 17 so he is two years younger than Nick Collison. With his skill level and agility at 7 feet + and only 20 years old makes him a VERY attractive prospect and he will be able to give minutes and production in the NBA from day 1 IMHO. He's not a franchise player but he will probably devlop into the next level down from there. Good work ethic. Also and this is a biggie -he's not robotic like many NBA centers. Hes nothing like a Jake Tskiladsis Joe Kleine type center. I would bet a few bucks that there is NO WAY in hll that he lasts to pick 9.
RIP Crushalot😞
falcindor
USA
3/28/2003  5:50 PM
Ive seen Kaman play 2x. Tim is more athletic but I compare him to Duncan as a sophomore in college. The closest NBA comparison would be Olowakandi but thinner.
Ricky Davis and offseason battleplans

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy