Please post today's insider
AUTOADVERT
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
3/12/2003  7:27 PM
Ricky Davis, you're no Michael Jordan.

But we can understand why former Cavs coach John Lucas got carried away late last season when Davis, a bench warmer for most of the year, went on a late tear, scoring 20 or more points in seven of Cleveland's final 13 games.

"I think he can be the next Michael Jordan if he develops into the great player he has the potential to be," Lucas said at the time. "Davis really can be as good as he wants to be if he continues to work hard and improve. We definitely want to keep him in Cleveland."

Your season's on the rocks. Your fate in the lottery assured. Your season ticket base is on life support.

A coach's job is no longer to sell great basketball. Right now, it's about selling hope.

Davis, as it turns out, wasn't the next Jordan. But he was able to capitalize on a last-minute chance to prove that he can play.

Will the Bulls' Eddy Curry and the Grizzlies' Stromile Swift be this year's Ricky Davis? Insider investigates.

Is Curry the next Shaq?

Shaquille O'Neal sat in the locker room with a wry smile on his face.

Reporters were asking him about Eddy Curry, the Bulls' second-year center who many compared to Shaq coming out of high school two years ago.

Shaq, ever the diplomat, was polite.

"He's a nice, young, aggressive kid," O'Neal told the Chicago Sun Times before the Lakers' game against the Bulls Tuesday night. "I wish him well."

Shaq is bored. With David Robinson saying his farewells and Patrick Ewing and Hakeem Olajuwon with both feet in the NBA grave, the Big Aristotle has run out of worthy opponents worthy.

What happened to all the great centers Shaq?

"I killed them," he replied.

While the emergence of Yao Ming has given some hope that Shaq has finally found someone to battle in the paint, a dark horse may be emerging.

With the playoffs out of reach, coach Bill Cartwright finally has turned Curry loose. Tuesday night, Curry dominated Shaq in the paint, finishing with 20 points and six rebounds to Shaq's 13 points and 10 rebounds. Even more surprising, the Bulls walked away with 116-99 victory over the defending world champions.

After the game, Shaq finally seemed interested. He claimed that there were "about two or three legitimate centers," in the entire league -- himself, Yao Ming and ... "Eddy."

"He's only 20 years old," Shaq said of Curry. "He has plenty of time to claim the 'best center' title. Whatever title he wants."

Indeed, lately, Curry has been having his way in the paint. He has scored 20 or more points in his last three games, going for 20 against the Lakers, 26 against the Clippers and 24 against the Warriors. He recently dropped 24 on the Raptors and 26 on the Heat.

Is Curry's latest hot streak just a fluke?

"No, no, no," Cartwright said. "That's the point. Eddy does have all the talent, and he works hard. He's had other good games, you know."

The Bulls have to be drooling at Curry's offensive potential.

"He's probably the most polished scorer in the paint since Shaq," one GM told Insider. "If he gets in shape, works hard on his game and learns to play defense, he'll dominate in the league. Very few big guys have his confidence on the offensive end."

Curry's combination of power dunks, baby hooks and slick moves on the block have given the Bulls a dimension they've missed all season. Cartwright started giving Curry more minutes on Feb. 19 against the Sixers. He has played more than 20 minutes in nine of the Bulls' 11 games since then. His average in those nine games? 19.3 ppg, 6.9 rpg and 1.9 bpg in just under 28 minutes per game.

So why didn't the Bulls unleash Curry sooner? Poor practice habits, bad defense and a tendency to get into quick foul trouble. But lately, Curry has been pouring it on in practice, he's improved his rebounding and shot blocking on the defensive end and, for the most part, he's starting to keep his fouls down.

"My confidence is a lot higher now," Curry said. "I feel I'm on a bit of a roll. I love going up against guys like Shaq to see where I stand. I want to be dominant like him. He overpowers everybody, and I want to develop that."

Told that Shaq is a fan, Curry couldn't help but smile. "If we can do this against a team like the Lakers," young Curry summed up, "we should be able to do it against anybody."

How could Grizzlies big man Stromile Swift go from trade bait during February to the Grizzlies' power in the paint in March?

Thank Magic GM John Gabriel.

For months Jerry West had been pushing Orlando to accept a package of Swift and Gordan Giricek in return for Mike Miller. Gabriel held out until the Grizzlies finally agreed to part with Drew Gooden instead of Swift.

Before you go and declare the Magic winners in the deal, take a look at this month's stats:

Swift: 19 ppg, 10.3 rpg and 3.5 bpg
Gooden: 15.3 ppg, 10.2 rpg and 0.5 rpg

The Grizzlies have won four straight, in part because of the improved play of Swift in the middle. Swift, who appeared to be in hibernation for the first 2½ years of his career, has plenty of people besides Gabriel to thank for his recent emergence.

Start with the Grizzlies' front office, who made a clandestine visit with one of Swift's relatives during the All-Star break. The message they sent? If Swift doesn't change the way he approaches the game, he'll be out of a job in a year.

According to team sources, Swift came back to the team after the break a changed man. Finally, the Grizzlies are starting to see the kid they thought they were getting when they spent the No. 2 pick on him in 2000.

"He's got the ability to be a dominant player in the league," one Grizzlies source said. "It's all up to Stromile. Right now, he's playing the way we always envisioned he could play. It couldn't have come at a better time. He was running out of chances."

Swift wowed the Grizzlies with his freakish athleticism (he set team records in several vertical jumping drills) and quiet demeanor in pre-draft workouts. While the Grizzlies knew he'd have to fill out to play power forward full time, they were shocked by his lack of work habits and low threshold for pain once he joined the team.

Over the past month, however, Swift's practice habits have improved, as has his aggressiveness on the court. Having Miller, Pau Gasol and Wesley Person on the perimiter also has opened things up for Swift in the paint. But he still wouldn't be where he is right now without the direction of Hubie Brown.

"There's no question that we believe in what we're doing a lot more than last year," center Pau Gasol, who also has been on fire of late, told the Memphis Commercial Appeal. "Everybody knows their role. Everybody knows when they're going to get in the game and leave the game. That gives you confidence, too. We're much more comfortable in this situation, and you can see it on the court. Confidence makes you pay attention to detail. You trust your teammate more and make the extra pass."

Swift claims that the opportunity to play without looking over his shoulder has been the biggest change. "It's a mental thing," said Swift. "I just try to go out and play with energy. Hubie is playing me a little more and I'm just trying to make the best of the my opportunity."
#Knickstaps
Caseloads
Member: #41
3/12/2003  7:43 PM
I feel that Lang, Greek Baby Shaq - who Layden went to scope out, or Perkins would be great pick ups for us. Look at how eddy curry is coming along... and Chandler... and Amare... and Nene.

No reason Perkins, Land, or Greek Baby Shaq couldn't do the same... for the KNICKS. We're going to have at worst the #13 pick of the draft. Perkins or Lang should be around then, and maybe Greek Baby Shaq. I'd love to have Curry or Swift on our team, right now.

Kwame will blossom too... given his chance. Kwame was amazing at the outset of this year.

Marc Jackson seems buried on the bench almost in Minny. He'd be decent here... a starter probably. I'm SURE that they'd do an Eisley for Marc Jackson trade. Eisley is a solid NBA point. Jackson could shine... he hasn't had any major injuries recently. The guy needs more burn. He wants to play downlow and bang as well. We could evaluate him, and if he's solid, we could trade KT by next years' trading deadline... for a future pick or a solid young SF.

I'd say bring in a guy who is a good teacher of big men... Ewing?Robinson? Hakeem? Abdul Jabbar?

Here's the lineup for next year:

Center: KT | Marc Jackson | Doleac | Knight | 1st round pick (Perkins/ Lang/ Greek Baby Shaq)

PF: Dyess | Othella | Weatherspoon

SF: Sprewell | Nailon (if resigned - probably won't be) | Postell (if resigned - probably will be) | rookie (2nd round pick)/FA

SG: Houston | Anderson

PG: Milos | Ward | Frank Williams

What do you guys think?
fmoran
Member: #375
Canada
3/12/2003  8:11 PM
Posted by Caseloads:

What do you guys think?
Sure nice of Eisley to opt out of his contrct. He really got us out of a bind.

I love Curry. And Nene. Those two and Ming are the future of the center position.

We should still make a run for Nene. The works!
go knicks!
Caseloads
3/12/2003  9:29 PM
Posted by fmoran:
Posted by Caseloads:

What do you guys think?

I love Curry. And Nene. Those two and Ming are the future of the center position.

No, we'd trade Eisley for Marc Jackson
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
3/12/2003  9:33 PM
Posted by Caseloads:
Posted by fmoran:
Posted by Caseloads:

What do you guys think?

exactly, this would be a way to dump that albatross of a contract, the Wolves are thin at PG and would do it to get rid of Jackson's contract but Jackson will give us size and some skill at that position but then again some fools think that trading Eisley's contract is impossible.....
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Caseloads
3/12/2003  9:34 PM
The way these second year guys have been playing is giving me hope for Frank Williams... but what is the deal with Mateen Cleaves? Yeah, he's been injured, but he's completely off the radar.

And furthermore, what's up with Diop in cleveland, Pryzbilla on the bucks, Jamal Sampson on the bucks, Dan Gadzuric on the bucks, Jason Collins on the nets, Chris Mihm on the Cavs? Why are none of these guys becoming the centers that the should start becoming... take a look at Jamaal Magloire. If he can be a good center in the NBA, if Brad Miller can be a good center in the NBA. If Adonal Foyle can grab 20 rebounds in an NBA game, any of those aforementioned guys should be making some sort of headway... sometime soon.

All the more reason that the NBA should set an age limit, and require players go to the NBDL and get their training there... or run the Pete Newell Big Man camp year round until these guys develop game, because their size and athletic ability are there, but where's the rest?
Caseloads
3/12/2003  9:44 PM
Posted by tkf:
Posted by Caseloads:
Posted by fmoran:
Posted by Caseloads:

What do you guys think?

exactly, this would be a way to dump that albatross of a contract, the Wolves are thin at PG and would do it to get rid of Jackson's contract but Jackson will give us size and some skill at that position but then again some fools think that trading Eisley's contract is impossible.....
Realistically... Eisley doesn't make THAT much. I mean, he makes around 5.5 million per year, with his last season just below 7 million. That's a fair contract if you're starting or a solid backup.

Eisley is more functional that Marc Jackson if we get him and he turns out to be a huge stiff sitting on the bench like Nailon or Travis Knight, because at least Eisley is our starting PG, but Eisley is tradeable. What is more likely would be Ward for Marc Jackson, but we would just continue to saddle ourselves with long term contracts.

Ward to GS for Foyle would work... and we almost pulled that one off a while back when we were shipping out glen rice.

If the warriors lose Gilbert, they'd want Eisley for Foyle, again, so they'd have a competent veteran PG.

We could also ship out Eisley and take back dampier, who'd be really solid besides Dyess/ or KT if Dyess doesn't return.

GS would probably want us to take back some garbage though, as in Fortson... maybe we could three-way w/ the Lakers or Pistons or Toronto and Golden State?

I'm sure that the Lakers/Pistons/Toronto would all love to have Fortson for salary cap relief...

that way we could get Foyle/Dampier for Ward, the Warriors could dump Dampier and Fortson (on someone else), get under the cap by waiving Ward, and therefore resign Arenas, while we get our center upgrade free.
falcindor
Member: #42
USA
3/12/2003  10:33 PM
How does Curry and Nenes success have to do with "baby shaq". Baby shaq might be another "baby jordan" or Harold Minor for those who dont know. Whatever his name is\, is only 6'9" and is raw. Curry wasnt raw, Nene is raw but he has the size and the athleticism. This Geek kid is only big. I think he will be a waste of a draft pick.
Fritz Alcindor Jr. *FUTURE KNICK GM* falcindor@hotmail.com
Caseloads
3/12/2003  10:48 PM
Posted by falcindor:

How does Curry and Nenes success have to do with "baby shaq". Baby shaq might be another "baby jordan" or Harold Minor for those who dont know. Whatever his name is\, is only 6'9" and is raw. Curry wasnt raw, Nene is raw but he has the size and the athleticism. This Geek kid is only big. I think he will be a waste of a draft pick.
scouts like him. former NBA players like him.
kid is 17 right now. 6'9" is solid for a 17 year old. he might grow an inch or two. but 6'9" and jacked could be great for us. I could be wrong, but at least he's an option. Furthermore, he's been playing for a couple years professionally, so hopefully his learning curve will be shorter, than a HS to NBA player. I mean, with this guy coming out at 17, to be 18 on the day of the draft, he could be a a solid franchise contributing player for about 15 years... we need to groom some young guys. Even if greek baby shaq is no better than Zach Randolph, it'd be a big start.
fmoran
Member: #375
Canada
3/14/2003  12:50 PM
Posted by Caseloads:

Yeah, my bad. Just ignore little ol' post skimming me.
go knicks!
killacross
Member: #58
USA
3/14/2003  6:54 PM
Posted by Caseloads:

The way these second year guys have been playing is giving me hope for Frank Williams... but what is the deal with Mateen Cleaves? Yeah, he's been injured, but he's completely off the radar.

And furthermore, what's up with Diop in cleveland, Pryzbilla on the bucks, Jamal Sampson on the bucks, Dan Gadzuric on the bucks, Jason Collins on the nets, Chris Mihm on the Cavs? Why are none of these guys becoming the centers that the should start becoming... take a look at Jamaal Magloire. If he can be a good center in the NBA, if Brad Miller can be a good center in the NBA. If Adonal Foyle can grab 20 rebounds in an NBA game, any of those aforementioned guys should be making some sort of headway... sometime soon.

All the more reason that the NBA should set an age limit, and require players go to the NBDL and get their training there... or run the Pete Newell Big Man camp year round until these guys develop game, because their size and athletic ability are there, but where's the rest?

I'm from milwaukee so i can tell you whats up with the bucks players. Pryzbilla fell in love with his girlfriend the summer after his rookie season, all he does during the summers is hang out with his girlfriend and not work on basketball. He is also one of the lazier players at practice (supposedly, now that big dog and ray allen are gone). The bucks drafted sampson with the original hopes of him having an impact a few years down the road. Gadzuric has made some rookie mistakes and does not have the veteran "savy" of caffey, mason, and ervin johnson. Right now, the bucks play kucok and tthomas at the pf position so they can rotate payton/mason/redd/cassell at the 1-3 spots (that would be desmond mason for those wondering). The bucks also have top pick macus haislip who nbadraft.net compared to marcus camby due to his jumping (rebouding and shot blocking) abilities, but much much stronger (contrary to camby, haislip has a decent 3 pt shot). Haislip lit up the summer league and now struggles to even make it onto the floor for a few minutes each night.

As of the other people you mentioned, mateen cleeves was hurt early in his career, but then people realized that he could never play in the first place and now nobody wants him. Everyone discovered he only survived in college by out muscling opposing pgs. Jason collins plays a decent amount for the nets, but that will change when deek returns. Diop was hurt for all of last year, and now is spending this year learning more about the game (i believe he came straight out of HS)

BTW... if the NBA sets the 20 year old age minimum, players cannot go to the NBADL. The NBADL already has an age miniumum of 20

ya cant stop me, you can only hope to contain me
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
3/14/2003  7:02 PM
Didn't Pryzbilla get traded as "filler" to the supersonics in the GP Ray Allen deal?
killacross
Member: #58
USA
3/14/2003  7:03 PM
Posted by knicksbabyyeah:

Didn't Pryzbilla get traded as "filler" to the supersonics in the GP Ray Allen deal?

no, the fillers were ollie (pg) and ronald murry (rookie pg)
ya cant stop me, you can only hope to contain me
Insider on Eddy Curry and Arrival of the Young Bigs

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy