[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Carmelo v. Sweetney
Author Thread
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
3/2/2003  10:55 AM
From dimemag.com/smack.asp

It was a sweet day for college hoops. Future first-round picks Carmelo Anthony and Mike Sweetney had a battle as Syracuse and Georgetown went to OT before the dust settled. ‘Melo managed 30 points and 15 boards while Sweetney was sweet in impressing Pat Ewing, who was in attendance, with 31 points, 19 pulls and 7 dimes. He looks like the next in the long line of successful Hoya big men. Too bad he couldn’t overcome the Orangemen on this day as Jim Boeheim’s crew rolled ...

Mike Sweetney still on track ... not that I want another 6-6 hoya PF, when we already have othella (georgetown, 6-6 PF).
AUTOADVERT
falcindor
Member: #42
USA
3/2/2003  11:06 AM
Hes looking like the next Elton Brand, but we cant use him in NY.
Fritz Alcindor Jr. *FUTURE KNICK GM* falcindor@hotmail.com
Caseloads
3/2/2003  12:27 PM
7 dimes? seven more than KT dished all season
QnzKnixFan
Member: #373
USA
3/2/2003  12:54 PM
Mike Sweetney is not 6'6". He looks more like 6'8". Elton Brand is a great comparison. To be honest, I don't care how tall he is as long as he can rebound. Height doesn't matter unless it effects your game. Look at Charles Barkley. He's arguably one of the Top 3 PF's to ever play the game. And if you didn't know, Clarence Weatherspoon at 6'6", is our best rebounder this season.
QnzKnixFan
fmoran
Member: #375
Canada
3/2/2003  1:24 PM
Posted by QnzKnixFan:

And if you didn't know, Clarence Weatherspoon at 6'6", is our best rebounder this season.
I don't have numbers on me, but I'm sure Kurt Thomas has been our best rebounder this season.

But I don't think height has as much to do with rebounding as it does with defense. We're seeing it more an more, when 6'9 Wallace is grabbing more boards than 7'5 Yao Ming. It's about timing, jumping, and desire. The problem with height is on defense. While Weatherspoon is one of our best rebounder this season, he has a hard time matching up against taller, longer opponents like Nowitzki, Sheed, TD, and today against KG, who just shoot over him.

I'd love Sweetney in a Knick uni, and what do ya know, he's our pick on http://www.nbadraft.net. It's a sign.
go knicks!
Caseloads
3/2/2003  1:34 PM
Posted by fmoran:
Posted by QnzKnixFan:

And if you didn't know, Clarence Weatherspoon at 6'6", is our best rebounder this season.
I don't have numbers on me, but I'm sure Kurt Thomas has been our best rebounder this season.

But I don't think height has as much to do with rebounding as it does with defense. We're seeing it more an more, when 6'9 Wallace is grabbing more boards than 7'5 Yao Ming. It's about timing, jumping, and desire. The problem with height is on defense. While Weatherspoon is one of our best rebounder this season, he has a hard time matching up against taller, longer opponents like Nowitzki, Sheed, TD, and today against KG, who just shoot over him.

I'd love Sweetney in a Knick uni, and what do ya know, he's our pick on http://www.nbadraft.net. It's a sign.
exactly, i was just about to interject and state, height has no impact on number of rebounds, although it does help on the offensive end, and as a PF, Center or SF, to follow up from your own miss.

height matters most on both defense and offense - being taller is an asset in guarding your assignment, and being able to have the ability to see over your player on the offensive end, and hopefully shoot over them as well. That's why spree has trouble with bigger SFs, because they can shoot and see over him easily, and when he's on offense, their length helps keep him from doing jumpers, and spree is not the slasher he used to be.
Caseloads
3/2/2003  1:42 PM
info on sweetney

http://www.guhoyas.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/Mike_Sweetney_PDF.pdf
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/2/2003  9:03 PM
"Hes looking like the next Elton Brand, but we cant use him in NY."

WHAT?!?!?!?

He's 6'8 can handle the ball, is a beast on the board, he blocks shots and has a GREAT low post game. You draft him if you can. End of story.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Caseloads
3/2/2003  9:57 PM
Posted by fishmike:

WHAT?!?!?!?

He's 6'8 can handle the ball, is a beast on the board, he blocks shots and has a GREAT low post game. You draft him if you can. End of story.
take a look at the draft poll i started. if everyone likes sweetney, why has NO ONE voted for him?
Caseloads
3/2/2003  9:59 PM
Posted by fishmike:

WHAT?!?!?!?

if he were the next elton brand, i think he'd be a little bit higher... or else this draft is MUCH better than anyone is giving it credit for - and many analysts have said this is one of the worst drafts in a while, behind the top 3 picks - lebron, darko, carmelo
rain
Member: #353
USA
3/3/2003  2:59 PM
Sweetney seems to me.... a role player in the NBA. He's not going to outmuscle guys in the NBA like he is in college. And unless he's got Ben Wallaces willingness and wingspan... he's not going to be a dominant shot blocker. He seems like Ryan Humphrey with more of a scorers mentality... at 6'8, its not what we need. We have Othella and Spoon for awhile... it makes no sense to draft this guy... which we won't. Layden wants length. To compare him to Carmello (who is still very early in his learning curve) is fair for now. But Carmello will be a number one option in an offense with the skills, athleticism, and creativity to excel.
Caseloads
3/3/2003  7:41 PM
Posted by rain:

Sweetney seems to me.... a role player in the NBA. He's not going to outmuscle guys in the NBA like he is in college. And unless he's got Ben Wallaces willingness and wingspan... he's not going to be a dominant shot blocker. He seems like Ryan Humphrey with more of a scorers mentality... at 6'8, its not what we need. We have Othella and Spoon for awhile... it makes no sense to draft this guy... which we won't. Layden wants length. To compare him to Carmello (who is still very early in his learning curve) is fair for now. But Carmello will be a number one option in an offense with the skills, athleticism, and creativity to excel.
he wasn't being compared to carmelo, his team played the orangemen a few games back
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/9/2003  6:10 PM
Mike Sweetney is the next Elton Brand and could realisticly make an impact next year like Brand did in his first year, expect don't expect Sweetney to get much better. We could grab him if the draft ends up being weak, but i can't see that happening and Sweetney probably isn't worth taking until the mid first round. I would like to see Melo stay at Syracuse because i'm a Cuse fan, but thats not going to happen because he's going to be the third pick in the draft. He's a McGrady with more strength and slightly less athletism.
Carmelo v. Sweetney

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy