The Knicks gave up on King like we're giving up on Dice
Author Thread
fmoran
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #375
Canada
3/1/2003  2:09 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/01/sports/basketball/01ARAT.html

A great read on Bernard King and Patrick Ewing, and how they could have gotten a ring together, really is comparable to the situation today with Dice.

"You heard it in the interview fest that went on all week, leading into last night's tasteful and moving gala at halftime of the Knicks-Magic game. Fill in the name of the player who didn't live up to the level of the elusive second star. Charles Smith couldn't deliver the ball to the rim in Game 5 against the Bulls in 1993. John Starks wouldn't give it up in Game 7 against the Rockets in 1994. Mark Jackson wasn't enough of a defender. Charles Oakley wasn't enough of a scorer.

Now the debate hangs in the rafters, along with No. 33. How many championships would Ewing have won had he been blessed with another go-to guy?"

Everyone gave up on King, as his chances to return from serious knee surgery, and we never got to see him play together with Ewing. They probably were god enough together to win it all.

Am I the only one who seems to think this is eerily similar to today's situation with Dice? One of the stars has a serious knee injury, and many doubt his return. Everyone is counting him out of the Knicks' future, regardless of how he played prior to the injury.

JVG has already made his prediction, and it's right on target with what I've been saying all along: "With [Antonio] McDyess next year, you're going to see a team with a very good chance of getting the homecourt in the first round. If [Antonio] was healthy, we wouldn't be talking whether they're going to make the playoffs, we'd talking what seed."

Here's to hoping McDyess isn't handled the way Bernard King was.
go knicks!
AUTOADVERT
WOODMANnYk
Member: #529
USA
3/1/2003  9:49 PM
Knicks really tried to get another bonifide player to help Ewing. The one guy they were trying to get early 90's was Mitch Richmond from Sacremento Kings. Imagine you had those two for the knicks, Knicks would've collected crazy rings.
pg.Harper
sg.Richmond
c. Ewing
Pf.Oakley
sf.Mason
Sacremento didn't want starks in the deal! Michael Jordan had said playing against Richmond is like looking at himself in the mirror. Nice compliment!!
The Future. GO KNICKS!
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
3/3/2003  9:52 PM
yea, it was sad, because of all that King gave the knicks and how hard he worked to get back after the injury, the knicks should have at least given him the opportunity to play with patrick and visa versa. If king had that injury today no doubt with modern medicine he would have recovered quicker and who knows, but as far as dice goes, his injury wasn't as bad as kings I think, but I don't think anyone is giving up on dice, I think many of us are apprehensive, and hope that the knicks would surround him with a better team than we have now....
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
3/4/2003  11:39 AM
You guys know the real reason the Knicks never got a player to compliment Ewing. NBA wanted the Bulls to win every year. They were simply the most popular team in the world and people from every corner of the world knew them. Jordan, Pippen and Rodman even people in the third world ran around with bulls shirts, caps and what have you. Two or three times the KNicks were geared to beat the Bulls they never did or never saw them in the ECF. Miami-NY was the biggest set up I have ever seen in my life. What the NBA did was set it up for MJ and his boys time and again. How about the X-MAN incident everyone forgetting that. MJ, Ewing and X-Man shared the same agent and it was obvious who brought the agent more money. He had X-MAN sign a deal with Boston without even listening to an offer from the Knicks. I don't think even if Ewing had compliment player they would have won as long as MJ was around. He had his opportunities twice when MJ retired but he couldn't get it done the second time he had all the players needed to win a championship but he didn't make it because he got hurt. I still beleive that there were two year in the MJ era the Knicks should have won but that wasn't going to happen not as long as the money man was in the game MJ he brought over 10 Billion dollars in revenue to the game. You think NYK was going to beat that no way!
DefAndReb
Member: #336
3/4/2003  12:54 PM
I don't know why you bother watching professional sports. You think everything's fixed and advocate players throwing games. You seem to think championships automatically go to star players by decree, which isn't true. Players become stars by being great players. They become superstars by winning championships. How long do you think Vince Carter will be in commercials if his team continues to suck? When was the last time you saw a Grant Hill ad? No one gave Shaq his rings, it took him a few tough years.

MJ became a big star by winning the championship with the best team in the league. If he hadn't won the ring in '91 and thereafter, he wouldn't be the superstar he is now, and he wouldn't be considered one of, if not the, best.

Also, the JVG Knicks were never good enough to beat MJ's late-90's Bulls, no one was. The Knicks had their chance in the early 90's, and couldn't get it done. They were mediocre at best.
Posted by Vmart:

You guys know the real reason the Knicks never got a player to compliment Ewing. NBA wanted the Bulls to win every year. They were simply the most popular team in the world and people from every corner of the world knew them. Jordan, Pippen and Rodman even people in the third world ran around with bulls shirts, caps and what have you. Two or three times the KNicks were geared to beat the Bulls they never did or never saw them in the ECF. Miami-NY was the biggest set up I have ever seen in my life. What the NBA did was set it up for MJ and his boys time and again. How about the X-MAN incident everyone forgetting that. MJ, Ewing and X-Man shared the same agent and it was obvious who brought the agent more money. He had X-MAN sign a deal with Boston without even listening to an offer from the Knicks. I don't think even if Ewing had compliment player they would have won as long as MJ was around. He had his opportunities twice when MJ retired but he couldn't get it done the second time he had all the players needed to win a championship but he didn't make it because he got hurt. I still beleive that there were two year in the MJ era the Knicks should have won but that wasn't going to happen not as long as the money man was in the game MJ he brought over 10 Billion dollars in revenue to the game. You think NYK was going to beat that no way!
rain
Member: #353
USA
3/4/2003  1:23 PM
Who's giving up on Dice??? Its not like he tore his ACL... or like he played for the Knicks his enitre career. His Injury is healable... I just hope he retains his explosion.. its critical to his game..
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
3/4/2003  3:01 PM
Posted by DefAndReb:

I don't know why you bother watching professional sports. You think everything's fixed and advocate players throwing games. You seem to think championships automatically go to star players by decree, which isn't true. Players become stars by being great players. They become superstars by winning championships. How long do you think Vince Carter will be in commercials if his team continues to suck? When was the last time you saw a Grant Hill ad? No one gave Shaq his rings, it took him a few tough years.

MJ became a big star by winning the championship with the best team in the league. If he hadn't won the ring in '91 and thereafter, he wouldn't be the superstar he is now, and he wouldn't be considered one of, if not the, best.

Also, the JVG Knicks were never good enough to beat MJ's late-90's Bulls, no one was. The Knicks had their chance in the early 90's, and couldn't get it done. They were mediocre at best.
Posted by Vmart:

I'm not the only one who think the fix is on, some of the players in the league are wary of it. There was an article by David Aldridge who said that most people thought the Lakers-Sac game was a fix. McGrady has been critical of the Cavs tanking for LeBron. If you don't question you will continue to be DefandDumb. Match fixing has been a part of sports ever since its inception. If you recall there was a scandle of Match fixing by player in Cricket and thats at the highest level possible that was the world level. Hell even some of the Olympic has been fixed 1972 when the USA Basketball team got robbed. From the judges on the take as recently as last year to the Black Sox scandle. NBA is no saint league they are about the money and the money team always wins. Do you realize that only 7 different teams have won a championship in the last 24 years. Lakers, Bulls, Sixers, Detroit, Houston, Spurs and Boston. NBA is probably the hardest sport to win a championship in. Baseball in that time frame has seen more than 17 different teams winning a championship. I wonder why thats not the case in Basketball. Where is the parity here.
WOODMANnYk
Member: #529
USA
3/4/2003  3:01 PM
Posted by rain:

Who's giving up on Dice??? Its not like he tore his ACL... or like he played for the Knicks his enitre career. His Injury is healable... I just hope he retains his explosion.. its critical to his game..

GOOD PoinT!!!
The Future. GO KNICKS!
DefAndReb
Member: #336
3/5/2003  9:03 AM
Posted by Vmart:

If you don't question you will continue to be DefandDumb.

Except you're not questioning. You've already decided. And you've decided it for the games that don't go the way you like.

I'm well aware that fixes happen, but if a game doesn't go the way I want, I don't automatically assume it's a fix.
The Knicks gave up on King like we're giving up on Dice

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy