[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Patrick Ewing Night
Author Thread
QnzKnixFan
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #373
USA
2/28/2003  9:47 AM
It’s Patrick Ewing’s Day and tonight should go down as one of the biggest and most memorable moments in New York Knicks history. I’m only 20 years old and I started watching the Knicks in the early 90’s. So to me, Ewing is the greatest Knick of all time. And ring or not, Ewing is a champion. But tonight should not be about what he didn't win or accomplish.

However in his defense, I will say this. No player, Michael Jordan included, would have won a championship with the mediocre supporting cast that Ewing had in his prime. Look at NBA history. Every star needs another star to win. MJ had Scottie Pippen, David Robinson had Tim Duncan and Shaquille O'Neal had Kobe Bryant. Ewing had to go battle with John Starks and Charles Oakley. As much as we loved Starks and Oak, they were not second fiddle caliber players. Ewing did as much as he could by himself at times against arguably the greatest player ever. If you put Ewing in his prime with Latrell Sprewell and Allan Houston, we would have beaten MJ and the Chicago Bulls. I guarantee it.

Again, this is not about what Ewing didn't accomplish. It's Ewing's Night and it's all about what he did. You might have not liked him for many reasons. His guarantees usually never came true. His relationship with the fans was cold at times. The missed layup against Indiana was traumatizing. Ewing was not perfect but nobody is. But if you're a true Knicks fan, much less an NBA fan, you will stand up and cheer for this man when his #33 jersey raises to the rafters. Ewing was special. He gave his blood, sweat and tears to the city, fans and team. He wanted to win more than anything. How many players hop on one foot with an almost torn achilles and outplay a younger and stronger Center? How many players make it back from a career threatning wrist injury in the same season when nobody gave him a chance? We were so lucky as Knicks fans to have such a player like him. Ewing has nothing to be ashamed of. The Ewing Era was great and we should be proud of it.

When the #33 jersey goes up tonight, cheer as if we won a championship. Because we're retiring a champion.
QnzKnixFan
AUTOADVERT
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
2/28/2003  11:33 AM
this is what ticks me off. the knick players from the 70's championship teams are saying things like " ewing did not do enough" or " he should have gotten everyone involved more" to win a championship. only willis reed gave him respect and admitted that he would'nt have won a championship if it was'nt for the main celtic players retiring ( cousy and russell). also that knicks team was STACKED for that time. they had many great players. so it was easy for frazier to say comments like he did about ewing when he had monroe, reed, dubushure and bradley on the team. ewings best playing teammate during his prime years? john starks, an undersized shooting guard who never avg. 20 pts. a game. he never had a "championship- caliber team" until he was well on his downside of his career with an aging lj, a fragile camby, a young but timid houston and a public enemy in sprewell. if that team was assembled in say 95 or 96, we would not even have to question ewing's greatness. i never saw any knick bring it to the game EVERY night like patrick. is he the best knick player ever? hell yeah. he is a franchise player who is great but was born in the wrong era or had the worst luck. if only bernard king was healthy and effective enough to play mwith ewing.
Armondaone
Member: #379
2/28/2003  11:49 AM
Preach on Brother. I agree 100%
Caseloads
Member: #41
2/28/2003  11:56 AM
The ewing era was great. Pretty much every year until he was dealt, we were in the playoffs. That is quality.
fahkyu911
Member: #343
2/28/2003  12:38 PM
im sick of people saying ewing didnt have players around him, the bottom line is that he did get two finals, one of which he actually played in and he gotten eaten up by hakeem. if he was great he would have carried that team on his back and gotten us a championship.
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
2/28/2003  12:52 PM
Posted by Caseloads:

The ewing era was great. Pretty much every year until he was dealt, we were in the playoffs. That is quality.

thats all that needs to be said
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
2/28/2003  4:05 PM
maybe cause Dream was a better player? It still doesn't diminish Pat's greatness.
knickgeek
Member: #46
USA
2/28/2003  5:33 PM
Posted by Caseloads:

And every year since he left has seen further decline.
fahkyu911
Member: #343
2/28/2003  6:27 PM
ewing was very good, not great. great would not lose to the rockets
rain
Member: #353
USA
2/28/2003  6:35 PM
great was ... Hakeem in his prime.... Very good was Patrick in his prime... Patrick was very consistent and one of the best shooting centers of all time. The only problem I had with Patrick was his unwillingness to pass the ball and be a second option later in his career. If he was more of a true team player the Knicks might have won a championship... they got about as close as you could get... and he did always get us to the playoffs ... so you have to be grateful.
gunsnewing
USA
2/28/2003  6:36 PM
hey's a great player...maybe not an immortal but still a GREAT Player and one of the greatest centers this game has ever seen
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
2/28/2003  10:34 PM
great is elevating his team to the best it can be. true hakeem was great and he elevated his team to two championships. but think of it this way. i can say at least 12 of patrick ewing's fifteen years on the knicks team would not survive and make the playoffs if it was'nt for ewing. that is what a great player does. ewing took a below average team and made them championship contenders. case in point. jordan left in 93-94. did the bulls fold? no. they made it to the second round of the playoffs with the same team. if ewing had left his same team that year they would have been drafting glen robinson that year. hakeem was always a better player than ewing but ewing was still great and meant so much for new york. and i am kind of tired of the ungrateful fans that still complain. the man played a playoff game on a torn achilles heal for heaven sake. these are the people that probably complained that ewing should have hit that buzzer shot during the same game he was limping around. but people still look at what he has'nt done. when malone retires do you think utah fans will complain about malone? no. because they realized what the frachise would have been the past decade and a half without him and how much he gave. ewing made me proud to be a new york fan. he is new york. just as tough, hard-working and gritty.
gunsnewing
USA
3/1/2003  12:25 AM
and he wanted to win it in NY and now where else
Patrick Ewing Night

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy