[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Ewing retirement halftime show
Author Thread
falcindor
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #42
USA
2/27/2003  7:55 AM
Im really look forward to seeing Van Gundy and John Starks. If John finished his career in NY would have his number retired just on his effort and love for the game. Ewing has said he rather have John than any other guard in the league. Those 2 went to war together, something these Knicks can learn from.
Fritz Alcindor Jr. *FUTURE KNICK GM* falcindor@hotmail.com
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/27/2003  9:13 AM
Now this is interesting. Do you think John Starks or Allan Houston in their primes would have been a better teammate for Ew in a run at the title?

Ew, Oak, Mase, Starks, Harper OR
Ew, Oak, Mase, Houston, Harper?
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
falcindor
USA
2/27/2003  10:18 AM
John in his prime was a really intense player, Houston has never exhibited such intensity. Johns intensity I can only compare to Jordans in that throughout the game they were focused. Starks wasnt the most talented shooter but you knew he put 110% on the floor everynight. Houston look like hes sleepwalking through some of his games but has all the talent in the world.

I really think he would get his jersey retired if they won 1 banner. John is on my short list of favorite Knicks. He should get a thunderous ovation when he shows up at the garden.
WOODMANnYk
Member: #529
USA
2/27/2003  11:08 AM
Posted by falcindor:

John in his prime was a really intense player, Houston has never exhibited such intensity. Johns intensity I can only compare to Jordans in that throughout the game they were focused. Starks wasnt the most talented shooter but you knew he put 110% on the floor everynight. Houston look like hes sleepwalking through some of his games but has all the talent in the world.

I really think he would get his jersey retired if they won 1 banner. John is on my short list of favorite Knicks. He should get a thunderous ovation when he shows up at the garden.
Hold up! Hold up! Starks was pretty much an intense player but very inconsistent,at times immature and not very smart, basketball wise. Talent wise, Houston was better but in terms of having the fire and aggressiveness, i agree belongs to Starks. Look at the stats, Starks was never considered a top 10 shooting guard but Allan is.
The Future. GO KNICKS!
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
2/27/2003  11:34 AM
i just want to start off by saying that starks is probably my top five favorite knick of all time. he was fun to watch with his intensity and attitude. he was so passionate about winning. a true overachiever. BUT he is an over achiever. he had very hot games but many incosistent. he brought the defense night in and out but the offense sagged at times especially when we needed it the most ( 94 finals game seven comes to mind).

on the other hand houston in his prime was a perrenial all- star plain and simple. he scored with ease on some nights and was a better clutch shooter than starks. if he is open for a three you can take it to vegas that it will go in. the one thing that impressed me about houston is when ewing went down in '98 and houston was the go-to guy along with lj. he carried that team to the playoffs and almost singlehandedly led them past the miami heat in the playoffs. can starks do that? so i think a houston in his prime say the '98 houston ( sounds like cars) and a '93 ewing would definately be a frontrunner of winning a championship instead of starks.
Caseloads
Member: #41
2/27/2003  12:18 PM
i have to say, before starks was traded, he had lost all of his heart. pure and simple. his teammates ripped him to the MEDIA for bringing his golf clubs along to indy during the playoffs. who does that?

Starks had fire and heart that Riley loved, and it's the overachieving nature of his person, plus, his "good looks" that made him a favorite. His hot streaks from downtown impressed and were inspiring, and his drama, and flair, and often critical matchups versus MJ made us watch him all the more as he was thrust into the spotlight. But if you really dissect him as a player, somewhere along the way, he became a shell, and lost interest in basketball, or revealed his true colors because he had "made it" (from the CBA to NBA). I think he lost interest once Riley bolted for Miami. But before he got traded to GS, he was already just all gone.

Another thing i'll never forgive him for was his inability to play the point. At his size, 6'3", we needed him to be able to do that when Houston came over. Instead, he had to go to 6th man, often pushing houston out of close games as JVG went to starks in the clutch like his mentor Riley often used to. The thing is, if Houston had been able to stay on the court with Starks and have two real threats, instead of Chris Childs or Charlie Ward at PG, imagine Starks and Houston waiting to launch a "nail in the coffin" trey.

That never happenned though. I wanted him to get traded that summer, and he did. He definitely got all the respect he deserved over the course of his career. He even got the sportsmanship award in 1998 I think. He also got the 6th man of the year award as well.
falcindor
USA
2/27/2003  12:55 PM
Starks did want to play PG but JVG didnt like him at that spot for some reason. The few games he did play PG he did rather well.

I wasnt comparing Starks and Houston. They are 2 totally different type players. Houston hasnt hit prime yet. Once Sprewell is gone Houston can be his own man. Until then he is holding back.

Starks was a top 10 SG in fact at one point he was in the top 5. His numbers didnt shock you. But he did change the game. He was a great defensive player and hustle player.
LJ2
Member: #239
USA
2/27/2003  2:16 PM
Houston's in the 2nd year of a 6 year contract. Hopefully, this guy is still in his prime.
WOODMANnYk
USA
2/27/2003  2:29 PM
[b]I wasnt comparing Starks and Houston. They are 2 totally different type players. Houston hasnt hit prime yet. Once Sprewell is gone Houston can be his own man. Until then he is holding back.

Starks was a top 10 SG in fact at one point he was in the top 5. His numbers didnt shock you. But he did change the game. He was a great defensive player and hustle player.
I disagree with you on that one. As of right now, Chaney has set the offense more on Houston. Another one i have to disagree with you is about Houston not hitting his prime yet. My man, Allan is going to be 32yrs of age in 2 mos. When do you expect him to shine??? He's already shining as of right now. He's improved every facet of his game whether it's passing,rebounding or playing defense. JUST REMEMBER THIS. GAME 7 IN 1994 NBA FINALS, STARKS WENT 2 FOR 18 AND CHOKED. HOUSTON, FROM GAME SIX OF THE 1998 NBA EASTERN CONFERENCE FINALS, LJ WENT DOWN WITH AN INJURY AND H20 LITERALLY TOOK OVER AND THE KNICKS WON..
The Future. GO KNICKS!
falcindor
USA
2/27/2003  3:08 PM
2-18 in game 7. Well Starks carried us in game 6, he went on tare and brought us back from a double digit 4th quarter deficit. He would have won the game if Olajuwon was called for the foul at the end of regulation. Well OJ interuppted the game and I missed the entire 3rd quarter. Starks scored I believe 37 in game 6.
HoustonIsSoft
Member: #219
2/27/2003  3:37 PM
A lot of people can't forgive the 2-18 game 7 in Houston. I can. He was one of my favorite Knicks, up there with Ewing and Oakley. He had a bad night! It happens. It was the worst possible game for it and people have ripped he and Riley (for letting Starks shoot away). I said it then and I say it now, "you go with what got you there". Starks was a huge reason why they were in the position they were to begin with.

As for Houston, you can see from my name how I feel about him. At least Starks challenged people in the lane. I loved his intensity and I think that is one of the reasons why I'm so hard on AH. Where's the intensity game in and game out? I will say that he is playing the best ball as a Knick this year though.

[Edited by - HOUSTONISSOFT on 02/27/2003 15:55:32]
Caseloads
Member: #41
2/27/2003  3:47 PM
I know a collegiate player just like H20. He plays in the IVY league, and is the league's leading scorer for the past few years. All the talent in the world, no apparent fire.

Makes you not appreciate a player, because you see no heart, no charisma.
falcindor
USA
2/27/2003  4:14 PM
Vincent Yarbough remind me alot of Allan Houston. Its no coincidence that he came from the Univerity of Tennesee. He is one of the steals of the draft by Denver, if he can play D this kid is going to be good.
WOODMANnYk
USA
2/28/2003  9:07 AM
Posted by HoustonIsSoft:

A lot of people can't forgive the 2-18 game 7 in Houston. I can. He was one of my favorite Knicks, up there with Ewing and Oakley. He had a bad night! It happens. It was the worst possible game for it and people have ripped he and Riley (for letting Starks shoot away). I said it then and I say it now, "you go with what got you there". Starks was a huge reason why they were in the position they were to begin with.

As for Houston, you can see from my name how I feel about him. At least Starks challenged people in the lane. I loved his intensity and I think that is one of the reasons why I'm so hard on AH. Where's the intensity game in and game out? I will say that he is playing the best ball as a Knick this year though.

[Edited by - HOUSTONISSOFT on 02/27/2003 15:55:32]
Plain and simple, you Hatin!! How can you call yourself a Knicksfan with that ridiculous name. As a knicksfan, you should provide supportfor the players without the critical remarks. Houston is not soft. As you know, he's been playing hurt all season long with an injured toe, wrist and bad lower back and at the same time, still competing. Houston's game has elevated to the next level, you can't deny it. Look at his progression in rebounding,scoring,passing, playing defense and team vocal player. He is starting to become an all-around player and not just a spot-up shooter. Anyone who disagrees, must have a difficult time witnessing it...
The Future. GO KNICKS!
Ewing retirement halftime show

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy