[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Latest movies saw
Author Thread
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
6/18/2013  7:01 PM
Just saw "Man of Steel" with my 2 boys, 16 and 9, all of us loved the movie. I don't understand all these critics giving it a negative review. They just like to stick their noses up if the FILM is not from a Brian DePalma type director.

I loved the backstory in Krypton and showing Clark Kent's problems.

Diane Lane as an old mom still looks hot

I would highly recommend this movie.

AUTOADVERT
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

6/24/2013  8:26 PM
Anyone catch World War Z? I thoroughly enjoyed it and felt that it was the best of the best this summer. It has encouraged me to start reading the book on Sunday and I'm already halfway through. The movie is hardly based on it but it is interesting to see when and where the storylines overlap.
NYKBocker
USA
6/25/2013  2:21 PM
NardDogNation wrote:Anyone catch World War Z? I thoroughly enjoyed it and felt that it was the best of the best this summer. It has encouraged me to start reading the book on Sunday and I'm already halfway through. The movie is hardly based on it but it is interesting to see when and where the storylines overlap.

I saw it as well. I was thoroughly entertained as well. It is definitely up there in zombie movies. One of the best. As a summer flick, I would say A-. I would give it an A+ if some of the characters were fleshed out a little bit.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

6/25/2013  4:06 PM
NYKBocker wrote:Just saw "Man of Steel" with my 2 boys, 16 and 9, all of us loved the movie. I don't understand all these critics giving it a negative review. They just like to stick their noses up if the FILM is not from a Brian DePalma type director.

I enjoyed it too Bocker. The biggest complaint I hear is that it wasn't Superman 2. But that was a different time and a different character. Superman has undergone some changes in the books and let's face it, no one is ever going to do a better a jon that Christopher Reeve in that part. Take the movie at face value and you'll enjoy yourself.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Markji
Alba Posts: -4
Member: #1673
USA
7/3/2013  5:35 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:Just saw "Man of Steel" with my 2 boys, 16 and 9, all of us loved the movie. I don't understand all these critics giving it a negative review. They just like to stick their noses up if the FILM is not from a Brian DePalma type director.

I enjoyed it too Bocker. The biggest complaint I hear is that it wasn't Superman 2. But that was a different time and a different character. Superman has undergone some changes in the books and let's face it, no one is ever going to do a better a jon that Christopher Reeve in that part. Take the movie at face value and you'll enjoy yourself.

Saw it and liked it a lot. Very good acting. Henry Cavill, Amy adams as Lois Lane; Russell Crowe as Jor-El, Superman's Krypton father was also excellent. My only complaint is that it was 15 minutes too long - I don't want to spoil it so I'll just say that when all of the bad guys were vanquished, they all should have been gone. All in all, an entertaining time. I give it an 8 out of 10.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. Tom Clancy - author
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
7/12/2013  4:27 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/12/2013  4:29 PM
haven't been on here for months!

iron man 3- decent entry but a little of a let down because of how great avengers was. they took a risk especially with a certain character that was creative but other things bogged it down. it had a decent amount of action and rdj is the straw that stirs the drink but it was just an average movie which is something marvel hasn't done since im2. slightly recommended.

star trek into the darkness- the best movie of the summer! the great thing about the last movie is the fact that it is in the same cannon as the old shows and movies and because of the time displacement from that movie, they could do whatever they want. they definitely took advantage of those liberties in this one. the chemistry between spock and kirk is outstanding in this that almost rivals the early shows. great story and the "twist" is much better served here than the above movie i reviewed. the action was amazing and suspenseful. highly recommended.

man of steel- the better superhero movie this summer. great movie and a very interesting take on the origin of superman. the action is superb though very kinetic and cavil made superman his own without following others which i thought was the problem with superman returns. i know people have problem with how superman stopped zod but i don't IF the consequence lingers in the sequel. there is no way supes can go on without that weighing in on his conscious. i also like the way they described the reason for supes to have a secret identity. i always thought that supes can protect his love ones better than anyone so why have a secret identity? very simplistic reason though it seems MANY people should infer who he is already. lol. highly recommended.

spring breakers- this is a VERY strange movie and hard to grasp if i love it or hate it. it is a very amoral tale of girls get wrapped up in chaos in spring break. i have to admit i haven't seen this many bare breast in a movie in a VERY long time....maybe ever so that is a positive and a positive for many here. but the BIG show is franco. he was brilliant in this movie and saved it from being just girls gone wild with Disney girls. he was hauntingly creepy and you can tell he was having a great time with the role. the scene of the year is franco and his girls starring in a crime montage with Brittany spears, "everytime" scored during the scene. absolutely brilliant, reminded me of the opening scene of "belly". however, this is not a movie for everyone. no likeable characters except maybe one and very hedonistic and deplorable behavior ( made by the same guy who did "kids" so you know what type of film it is). recommended for those who like debauchery.

NYKBocker
USA
8/4/2013  10:52 PM
Just saw 2 movies over the weekend.

Red 2 - Not as good as the first one but very entertaining nonetheless. Bruce Willis is still funny as heck. John Malkovic is funny is heck. The action scenes done quite well. Still get a kick out of Helen Mirren kicking butt. Byung-hun Lee is good but he is no Karl Urban. I would recommend to see but maybe wait until it is in DVD but still a good movie to see in the theaters.

The Wolverine - Great movie. I highly recommend. This is the Wolverine movie they should have made first. A lot better than the origin movie. Yakuza, Samurai and Ninjas add to the greatness. Tao Okamoto is one hot chick.

NYKBocker
USA
4/5/2014  4:37 PM
Just saw "Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier". This is a must see. All the reviews are correct. This is the best Marvel superhero movie ever made. Better than "The Avengers". I would say that it is in the same category as "The Dark Knight".
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/5/2014  6:02 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/5/2014  9:40 PM
For all you movie buffs out there, this is a great site that releases limited edition Blu-rays and DVDs, as well as hard to find soundtracks to older films. Some of them have a pressing of only 3000 copies which (as far as I know) won't be made available again anywhere else in these formats.

Some good ones in there still available are the original "Rollerball" with James Caan, "Hard Times" with Charles Bronson, and "Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia" with Warren Oates, directed by Sam Peckinpah. I own a bunch of them and they do top notch work on the transfers.

http://www.screenarchives.com/display_results.cfm?category=546

Dagger
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4184

7/8/2014  1:18 AM
Saw Transformers the other day and it was pretty much the worst movie I've seen in my life. X-men was good though.
NardDogNation
Member: #5555

7/8/2014  10:09 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/8/2014  10:13 AM
Dagger wrote:Saw Transformers the other day and it was pretty much the worst movie I've seen in my life. X-men was good though.

Transformers has always been bad, lol. You don't see it for the storyline; you see it for the eye candy and to see **** be blown up. I gave up following then after the 2nd one, when I stopped thinking that Megan Fox was anything special.

X-Men was cool though. I saw both 22 Jump Street and Edge of Tomorrow, which were fantastic. Some would think that the former was geared toward a certain audience but I think it would be hard for any average Joe not to find it funny. And Edge of Tomorrow had such a unique and compelling storyline, which made it easy to connect with the movie. I never really bought Tom Cruise as an action star but he really did an excellent job in this one.

....Neighbors sucked to me. I wouldn't recommend it unless intoxicated or high, in a more festive atmosphere.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

8/4/2014  6:35 PM
Saw Guardians of the Galaxy and it was awesome. I wish Silver Surfer could have made an appearance, but they made up for it with an unlikely appearance at the end of the credits. I also wish they had didn't use Ronan the Accuser as the big bad in the film, but it wasn't a dealbreaker for me. I liked it better than the avengers, but not as much as Batman Begins or the dark night.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
MaTT4281
Member: #538
USA
8/6/2014  1:46 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:Saw Guardians of the Galaxy and it was awesome. I wish Silver Surfer could have made an appearance, but they made up for it with an unlikely appearance at the end of the credits. I also wish they had didn't use Ronan the Accuser as the big bad in the film, but it wasn't a dealbreaker for me. I liked it better than the avengers, but not as much as Batman Begins or the dark night.

+1 to everything. I'm a comic geek but not familiar with Guardians of the Galaxy at all. That said, fun sci-fi flick. Had some moments that reminded me of Star Wars. Curious if they're tied into the next Avengers film at all. End-credits scene had me pumped!

Wasn't a big fan of The Avengers. Saw it once, and that's enough, despite it being available on Netflix Instant Streaming. Meanwhile, I get an itch for the Dark Knight every few months or so.

NYKBocker
USA
8/6/2014  5:07 PM
MaTT4281 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:Saw Guardians of the Galaxy and it was awesome. I wish Silver Surfer could have made an appearance, but they made up for it with an unlikely appearance at the end of the credits. I also wish they had didn't use Ronan the Accuser as the big bad in the film, but it wasn't a dealbreaker for me. I liked it better than the avengers, but not as much as Batman Begins or the dark night.

+1 to everything. I'm a comic geek but not familiar with Guardians of the Galaxy at all. That said, fun sci-fi flick. Had some moments that reminded me of Star Wars. Curious if they're tied into the next Avengers film at all. End-credits scene had me pumped!

Wasn't a big fan of The Avengers. Saw it once, and that's enough, despite it being available on Netflix Instant Streaming. Meanwhile, I get an itch for the Dark Knight every few months or so.

Same here. Saw it with my youngest son. We loved it. It definately had a Star Wars vibe. My only complaint which is really not a coplaint is that I wish they made the villains more menacing. Not enough screen time for the villains to show their power.

NYKBocker
USA
8/6/2014  5:07 PM
I also just saw Hercules. Another fun movie. Really enjoyed it.
jazz74
8/8/2014  4:18 PM
I will review 6 but guardians deserve a separate message altogether:

1.) cap: winter soldier- another marvel gem. I loved the first one though some people thought it was one of the weaker marvel movies. however, they definitely changed the tone with this. first and foremost it is a more serious and politically relatable movie that asked interesting questions, especially with the concern of terrorism. also the huge reveal changed the whole marvel movie universe. very interesting that helped a once flailing show ( agents of shield). not to mention the action, fighting and acting ( especially redford) was superb. highly recommended.

2.) amazing spider-man 2- I thought the first one was decent and this falls in line with that one. it is unfortunately the weaker comic book movies of this year which is unfortunate since spider-man is such an iconic character. the peter/gwen romance was surprisingly great and authentic. there is a real chemistry there and it is one of the better couples in superhero movies. some of the action pieces were good too like the time square fight. however, the villains were very weak, the pace was off and at times it was boring. recommended only if you liked the first one.

3.) Godzilla- redeeming itself from that 1998 film and it did tenfold. a lot more fun than the commercials show, this is the Godzilla that I used to watch when I was little on Saturday afternoon on channel 11. a more "heroic" Godzilla with a great story explaining why. the acting was wooden but who cares? great action and monster fights. recommended.

4.) x-men days of future past- great treat of a movie. on the same level as x2 which I still hold high. story wise, the better one with a great mix of characters and balance. quicksilver stole the show as we saw his ability first hand. smart way to tie up loose ends with also a clean slate to pretty much do what they want. not original but still done well. the stinger was the best of the summer and I cant wait until the next one. highly recommended.

5.) dawn of the planet of the apes- great story and performance. this evolves the story and does it well. I look at it as the continuation of the first and not necessarily better. still, the first one I loved and put in high regard and I do the same here. many twists that work and well thought out circumstances dealing with the characters. recolmmended and would hav been my favorite movie of the year if it wasn't for another movie I will make a separate message about

jazz74
8/8/2014  4:48 PM
guardians of the galaxy- first, if you don't know, I have been collecting comics for over 30 years, particularly marvel. I mostly collect marvel which could be the reason I hold avengers in such high regard. for me, I saw a perfect balancing act in a movie that has a better shot at being a disaster than a success. it has its flaws like many movies but that moment in the theater when I saw a scene and said, "they did it.they @#$%ing did it!" was something I never forget. so, for me, it is the best comic book movie I have ever seen. period. with that said, the next slew of marvel movies came out with some mixed results. even though iron man 3 grew on me a little, it was still disappointing. thor 2 gets worse everytime I watch it. cap 2 was excellent though but I thought guardians will be marvel's first true bomb. a talking tree and raccoon? really? I admit, I never read the book and cosmic comics aren't my thing. nevertheless, I will go see it and now I am ashamed for thinking bad about this movie. I will say this is the best movie I watched this year and my second favorite comic book movie ever. cant believe I am saying this but this weekend I will watch it for the THIRD time. only movies I did that before were Avengers and Dark Knight.

one thing we know is that to take what you want from movies. all depends on your experience and taste. this movie particularly was more "personal" than most comic book movies as it surprisingly tackles loss and friendship. if you watched the movie, you know what I mean with loss. it is something that I can personally relate to. the interaction between the characters established a great bond and friendship which is shown in two heart pulling scenes at the end. I did not expect to get teary eyed and very few movies have done that. this movie did that. not to mention how funny it is.

funny thing, I am not a real big space western fan ( which this movie essentially is more so than a traditional comic film). I loved the first three star wars but the next three brought it down a peg. love the new star trek movies. this movie is on that level and I can help that this movie in my opinion have more in common with that great 1981 animated movie heavy metal than the other space movies I mentioned. probably because of the 70's music track which was stellar and was a great tether to remind us that the peter quill is from earth despite the spectacle. speaking of spectacle, this team better get an academy award nomination. great sfx, the best film I watched on 3d since avatar.

amazing movies thought brought me back to my childhood with event movies from the 80's that are both fun and heartfelt. I heard things like this is this generations star wars. nah. this is this generations ghostbusters, back to the future, buckaroo bonsai all rolled up into one. excellent movie and highly recommended if you love great fun movies. WE ARE GROOT!

Swishfm3
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #392
8/8/2014  11:37 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
Dagger wrote:Saw Transformers the other day and it was pretty much the worst movie I've seen in my life. X-men was good though.

Transformers has always been bad, lol. You don't see it for the storyline; you see it for the eye candy and to see **** be blown up. I gave up following then after the 2nd one, when I stopped thinking that Megan Fox was anything special.

X-Men was cool though. I saw both 22 Jump Street and Edge of Tomorrow, which were fantastic. Some would think that the former was geared toward a certain audience but I think it would be hard for any average Joe not to find it funny. And Edge of Tomorrow had such a unique and compelling storyline, which made it easy to connect with the movie. I never really bought Tom Cruise as an action star but he really did an excellent job in this one.

....Neighbors sucked to me. I wouldn't recommend it unless intoxicated or high, in a more festive atmosphere.

Not a fan of the Mission Possible series? I personally think their fantastic and does a great job as the lead role.

Jack Reacher and Minority Report were good as well but..i agree...Edge of Tomorrow was great and was probably the most underrated movie of the year

OasisBU
Member: #257
USA
8/29/2014  1:57 PM
Loved Guardians - the movie, the soundtrack, pretty much everything that has been said - it is a wonderful movie that is a lot of fun to watch and Really captured the vibe of great films like Stat Wars while remaining uniquely it's own.

Highly recommend.

"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

8/29/2014  6:25 PM
Saw Terry Gilliam's "The Zero Theorem". Its was the last film in a trilogy with "Brazil", and "The 12 Monkeys". I really enjoyed it. Like Brazil, its a sad story with moments of humor throughout the film. Great cast, and sets. Thought provoking film.
Latest movies saw

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy