Latest movies saw
Author Thread
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
1/21/2012  10:11 AM
I have seen a few movies lately:

Drive - the trailer makes it look awesome - and parts of it are very good. Overall it was boring because there is not a ton of dialogue, however halfway through the movie when the drama starts gets pretty interesting. I give it a 3/5.

Don't be Afraid of the Dark - I am a huge Guillermo Del Toro fan so I was looking forward to this one. He only produced this film an I have been pretty disappointed in the films he just puts his name on. This one was also not as good as I had hoped but it was entertaining an had some freaky moments. I give it a 3.5/5 - if you are a fan definitely see it but no rush.

"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
AUTOADVERT
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
3/24/2012  1:12 PM
bringing this back now that summer season movies are around the corner with my beloved avengers in little over a month.

contagion- not original but it was startling realistic! like a typical soderburgh film, he shows a multi-layer of storylines that sometimes intersect but usually doesnt, displaying how this virus affects a family, town, country and world. great performances but winslet, damon, and fishbourne were excellent and brought this movie above a typical "outbreak" movie. if you are a germaphobe, avoid since this almost turned me into one but you are missing a great and engaging movie. highly recommended.

john carter- this was labeled the series that inspired most sci fi today. though i wont deny it, this movie is decent but nothing more or less compared to the other sci fi greats like 2009 star trek or the star wars series. the sfx was great and the story, though flimsy, works. i would like a better sequel to expand on the relationship between certain aliens and their influence on both worlds. it was a very interesting sidenote but the movie never expands. decent moovie for rental though if you have a surround sound system, this movie should please you immensely.

MarburyAnd1Crossover
Member: #3650

3/24/2012  4:57 PM
Drive was good but disappointing. There was a good amount of action but the movie left me feeling like there was something missing! Character development felt rushed and I did not feel so connected to any of the lead roles.
Carmelo Anthony is ANTI-BASKETBALL
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
5/28/2012  9:00 PM
Just saw Battleship with my kids. Great popcorn movie. I don't understand the negative reviews. This is a summer movie and by the reactions of my kids ranging from 8 to 15, they all loved it. I enjoyed it myself. Seeing Lt. Col. Gadson was also awesome. Big Blue in the house!!

I also saw The Avengers a couple of weeks back. That is a must see movie. The best Super Hero movie ever.

jazz74
Member: #371
7/3/2012  11:58 AM
havent updated this for awhile so here we go:

mib 3- well, i HATED the second one. it felt rushed with no chemistry like the first one and the story was to derivitive and boring so i was skeptical about this one. however, i was pleasantly surprised about this one. the funny thing is that it wasnt tommy lee jones/will smith partnership that was great. it was josh brolin/will smith that really clicked. the story was starting to get boring until the time jump aspect whihc was sorely needed. will smith was good but it is kind of clear that his time on the top is no longer there as he is essentially the same character he has played since his fresh prince days whihc is weird for a 40+ year old man. not a bad movie and required if you are a fan of the series and was angry about the second one. not as good as it COULD be but good enough. recommended.

21 jump street- talk about another great surprise, i am old enough to have watched the show ( though initially to watch who i thought would be my future wife, holly robinson) and enjoyed it for the most part even though it is seriously dated now. this was a clever remake ( or extension, if you watch it you know what i mean). jonah hill and channing tatum make such a great comedic couple as they play off each other real well. it was also interesting to see how drastic high school life has changed now from even 7 years ago. very funny, great cameos, highly recommended.

amazing spider-man- i was surprised that they mad a reboot of this but spider-man 3 was so bad i can see why. that was the only spider-man movie that i heard booing. this one rectified it. garfield is a more grounded spider-man who has teen angst as he is finding an identity. the convincing thing about this movie is parkers relationship with the people around him. martin sheen as uncle ben was awesome as he deals with teens issues in a loving and stern way. emma stone as gwen stacy was great also as she plays a practicla and smart teen who is drawn to peter because of his brains and moreso once she learns the secret because it reminds her of her father. the one who steals the show is denis leary as gwen stacy's dad. he shows he is a loving family man as well as a no nonsense police chief trying to clean up the city best way he can. i guess the weak point is rhys as the villain. spider-man's villains, for the most part, are sympathetic characters and lizard in the comics is a poster boy since it was not "his fault". this one, he has his intelligent as the lizard and the action scenes were cool but he is not as memorable as doc ock from 2. the action, once it starts, was great and this is one movie i am glad i saw in imax as the first person web slinging was fantastic. this movie, like iron man, left you wanting more. not as good as the movie i am viewing next or even spider-man 2.5 but a good start for a reboot. lets hope kraven or mysterio is the next villain. recommended, highly for comic fans.

avengers- THIS is the movie i waited for years and it is finally here. needless to say that imo, the BEST comicbook movie ever! the sfx and action was incredible but the amazing thing that i liked were the characters interacting with each other. the argument between the members in the lab was one of the most suspenseful scenes in the movie because all of the characters had valid points and the conversation showed each personality in detail. robert downey jr. shines but not head and shoulders above everyone else. ruffalo as banner was a lot better than expected and as great of an actor edward norton is, i dont know if he could have done a better job. the dialogue was great and it is rare that a superhero movie have thoughtful but enjoyable conversations that are clever and witty. the climax, which has been problems in marvel movies imo, is outstanding in this movie. the action jaw dropping especially the panning scene when we see ALL of the avengers in action ( iron man shooting off of cap's shield? GEEK MOMENT). this movie gets the credit it deserves because this was a very difficult movie to pull off, first of its kind to have 4 different movie franchises come together in one. i would have been happy if they made a passable movie and that would have been an accomplishment. however, they exceeded my expectations exponentially. great job, whedon and marvel. now i am ready for avengers phase 2!

NYKBocker
USA
7/17/2012  10:12 AM
Saw 3 movies with the kids this weekend.

Madagascar 3 - Kids liked it, ages 8 and 11. My wife liked it. I fell asleep.

Ice Age Continental Drift - Kids loved it. My wife liked it. I did not fall asleep. Sloth is still funny.

Amazing Spider-Man - Everything jazz74 described is spot on. I was a little skeptical since I really liked the Sam Raimi Spidey series. Yes, even Spider-Man 3. I was not really a Spidey reader and always thought Mary Jane was his first love. Reading some info on the character now and I am really excited to see where they are going with this story. Do they end the "Silver Age of Comic Books" in the next movie? If so, does that mean we go back to the Green Goblin as the next villain? Do they introduce Mary Jane in the next movie?

ChuckBuck
Alba Posts: 11
Member: #3806
USA
7/23/2012  3:02 PM
The Dark Knight Rises.

WOW!

It blew me away. Great great way to end the trilogy. Nolan stuck the landing. I give it a 10!

NYKBocker
USA
12/30/2012  9:15 PM
Saw 3 movies during the winter break.

The Hobbit - If you like the LOTR trilogy then this movie will not disappoint. After the movie, my kids and I rewatched "the fellowship" and found a lot of things they kept true with this movie.

Rise of the Guardians - Kid movie but I enjoyed it. Good holiday movie.

Les Miserables - Never saw the play but I actually enjoyed the movie. Hathaway should win an Oscar. Jackman was over his head in signing and Crowe was really trying. Eponine who I later found out was in the play was awesome. I think you will either like this musical or you don't like it. No middle ground.

IronWillGiroud
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4359

12/31/2012  7:10 PM
I saw this and it was amazing: (this is the full movie):

The Will, check out the Official Home of Will's GameDay Art: http://tinyurl.com/thewillgameday
OasisBU
USA
1/1/2013  10:26 PM
Django - see it, if you like Tarantino you will enjoy it.
ChuckBuck
Alba Posts: 11
Member: #3806
USA
1/2/2013  9:55 AM
OasisBU wrote:Django - see it, if you like Tarantino you will enjoy it.

Saw it yesterday. Great QT flick, great popcorn flick! Highly entertaining.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

1/5/2013  11:47 PM
This is a really good film from a couple of years back now on DVD/Bluray. I highly recommend it.

Markji
Alba Posts: -4
Member: #1673
USA
1/19/2013  11:19 PM
I saw Argo. What a great surprise. Excellent movie. Highly recommend it. Ben Affleck deserves at least a nomination for Best Director but the Academy didn't give him one.

I had followed the Iran hostage crisis, but at the time, no one knew of the 6 other Americans and how they escaped. The movie made it more dramatic but it was a very heavy time.

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. Tom Clancy - author
NYKBocker
USA
1/23/2013  11:16 AM
Just saw Dredd. Wow. Great action flick. I had low expectations since Sly as Judge Dredd still lingers in my brain. Great villain in Mama.
NYKBocker
USA
5/21/2013  2:38 PM
Bump this thread since summer is here...

Just saw a couple of movies with my children.

Iron Man 3 - Very Good Movie. My children loved it. I think the reason I did not say great was because of the path they took with the Mandarin. Downey and Paltrow are awesome. This is a must see but I think they are right in making this the last Iron Man movie for awhile. I don't know what else he can do. The rest of the villains is quite redundant. Iron Monger, Crimson Dynamo, Zeke Stane, Titanium Man, The Controller. Maybe they can re-purpose the Mandarin and actually giving him the 10 rings. I don't know. Still a great summer flick. Fun and entertaining.

Star Trek Into the Darkness - I loved it. I would not put spoilers here but this alternate/new timeline really has opened a lot of possibilities. Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto has really done a great job as Kirk and Spock. Definite must see.

IronWillGiroud
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4359

5/21/2013  10:29 PM
just caught chernobyl diaries a little bit on the old tube,

was alright

The Will, check out the Official Home of Will's GameDay Art: http://tinyurl.com/thewillgameday
Markji
Alba Posts: -4
Member: #1673
USA
5/22/2013  8:57 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/22/2013  9:03 AM
Saw the latest Star Trek movie - Into Darkness. Very enjoyable. Very different from past Star Trek series and movies which had been more cerebral and not much action. This one is all action and special effects. Very well done. Nice plot twists. Acting - Benedict Cumberbatch was excellent (as he is in the TV series Sherlock which I also recommend.) Quinto who plays Spock also excellent. The rest were OK. I'd give the movie a 7.5 to 8.0 out of 10.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. Tom Clancy - author
OasisBU
USA
5/26/2013  7:32 PM
Saw Star Trek and thought it was awesome. JJ Abrams does a great job of mixing action, special effects and nostalgia. Will be interesting to see what he does with Star Wars.

My only criticism is we don't have the same connection with the crew and bad guys because there was no series for these guys and character development for the villains (Nero and Bad Guy #2) were a little thin because of timing and action. But both films were good fun and worthy additions to the franchise.

NYKBocker
USA
5/27/2013  6:22 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/27/2013  6:29 PM
Oz The Great and Powerful. Just saw this movie with my younger kids. I was approaching this as another boring kid flick but I came away enjoying the whole movie. I am not a fan of James Franco. He is hit or miss with his acting but I thought he was pretty good here. Mila Kunis, Rachel Weisz and Michelle Williams are all beautiful and I thought really did a great performance. Michelle Williams looks like a young Kathleen Turner. Like the "Body Heat" and "Romancing the Stone" version. If you have kids, I highly recommend this movie.

This is a Sam Raimi movie and there are a lot of shots that reminded me of "Army of Darkness"

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

5/29/2013  6:09 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
Star Trek Into the Darkness - I loved it. I would not put spoilers here but this alternate/new timeline really has opened a lot of possibilities. Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto has really done a great job as Kirk and Spock. Definite must see.

Great take about the alternate timeline. Won't give out any spoilers either but I thought the plot twist at the end was inspired. The reboot could have been just a trip down memory lane, but JJ Abrams has breathed new life into the franchise. All the lead actors are very good but Karl Urban's McCoy is so on the mark, its scary.

I have reservations about Abrams doing Star Wars only because I don't want the franchises to be stylistically the same. Whatever happens it has to be better then the the last trilogy.

Latest movies saw

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy