[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Latest movies saw
Author Thread
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
7/30/2011  9:46 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/30/2011  2:17 PM
Saw a great movie last night called Black Death. It is not a mainstream flick and has no major stars (Sean Bean is the biggest name, you may remember him as the bad guy from Golden Eye).

The movie is about medieval times and the spread of the plague. While its not really an action flick it does have some pretty awesome fight scenes in it, but the most interesting piece is the battle between good and evil. The heart of the movie revolves around a battle of wills between the Devil and God. It has a very religious focus and prompts a lot of questions about faith. The climax of the movie is pretty epic, although it does tend to drag in places leading up to it. Probably one of the most thought provoking movies I have seen in a long time.

The acting is solid, the story is well written, and it has enough violence to satisfy although it is primarilly a story driven movie that does not rely heavily on action sequences. If you are looking for something a little less Hollywood and with deeper meaning, I strongly recommend this film and it is available to stream over netflix.

"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
AUTOADVERT
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/31/2011  6:24 PM
skeng wrote:
cshoops wrote:
skeng wrote:
cshoops wrote:
skeng wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
cshoops wrote:Just saw Sucker Punch. I really liked it. Even though they used alot of green screen and CGI them girls kicked some butt! I didn't expect them to really do as much as they did. It was a very physically demanding movie.

Just saw this last night. Pretty good action flick. Scott Glenn was awesome.

I've never seen a movie with a worse soundtrack than the one in Sucker Punch. It made me laugh at least 3 times. It doesn't help having watched the "D-Yikes!" episode from South Park either. If any of you have seen that episode, you'll know what I mean.

On a very opposite note, I saw a movie last night called A Tale of Two Sisters. It's on netflix too. I seriously recommend this movie to anyone with a brain and an interest for quality movies with quality scenes, beautiful use of color and a very nice twist. It's one of those movies you like even more 5 minutes after the movie's ended and you think about every little clue the director put in the movie. It's foreign though, Korean, so you might get turned off if you can't handle subtitles.

The musical numbers were a metaphor. It's not supposed to be good. The facility the girls are housed in isn't good. I kinda think that you are insulted that it's kind of an Asian rip off kind of Anime style movie. It's a mental institution not Les Miserable.

Asian rip off? Your words, not mine. I don't have a profound passion for anime. And I'm not insulted in any way.

Everything just got over the top for me. Metaphors are good and all, but this metaphor didn't do it for me whatsoever. The movie just made me feel stupid somehow. And I liked 300, btw.

What I'm trying to say is that the movie kinda made me feel like a 13 year old boy. Including the musical score.

It has two good things that I generally like; hot chicks (I like them all the time) and high quality special effects. But that was it for me.

It is not a movie for mainstream thinkers. You gotta pay attention to detail but not so close that you take it too serious. With that I just saw the Smurfs which made no sense at all but I loved it. lol

I don't know what you actually mean by mainstream thinkers. And I do pay attention to detail, yes. With that I gotta be high to watch The Smurfs. Could be big fun

Eh, I though Sucker Punch was OK. The biggest things I took from the movie is Emily Browning is kinda smoking with bleach blonde hair. I saw her in the Uninvited and Lemony Snicket, but I wasn't really feeling her like that. But she's definitely a Diaper Dandy...as long as she stays blonde. Jamie Chung also flew up my list. She's the hottest chick to ever come out of MTV's reality tv farm system.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
7/31/2011  11:31 PM
Just saw Captain America. This is a must see movie. Great story telling. I was really not impressed when I heard that the guy that played Johnny Storm was cast as Captain America but he was dead on. And as always, stay after the credits.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

8/1/2011  1:56 PM
NYKBocker wrote:Just saw Captain America. This a must see movie. Great story telling. I was really not impressed when I heard that the guy that played Johnny Storm was cast as Captain America but he was dead on. And as always, stay after the credits.

Yeah the movie was great. I had a few minor complaints like the lack of screen time. I thought Buck and Red Skull should have had even more screen time and the 3D really didn't add much to the movie. But I rank this with X-Men as one of this summer's top action movies. On a side note, the Avenger's has me psyched. DC better step it up after that Green Lantern disaster.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
cshoops
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #329
USA
8/3/2011  12:44 AM
Anyone saw Cowboys and Aliens yet?
cshoops
USA
8/6/2011  5:54 AM
I saw Source Code on Blu Ray and I'm happy I did. It's a really good movie. I went to movies last night and saw Cowboys and Aliens. That movie is friggin awesome. Daniel Craig is one of the most under rated actors of the modern era. I think he's the best Bond and he is pure Gold in this movie.
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
8/7/2011  7:49 PM
insidious- i heard this was scary but i was skeptical. so i rented it and there was a scene in the very beginning in which i knew what kind of movie this was.... i paused it, got up and got my pillow.... to hide behind! the first hour and 15 minutes is a funhouse of well placed jump scenes that are legitimately scary. the weak part of the movie was the last 15 minutes or so. i hate that the climax isnt one of the highlights anymore. however, this movie is old school scary in the same vein as poltergeist and it is constant throughout the film. recommended.

warriors way- this started out slow but it picked up later. the cinematography was excellent and the stunt coordination and martial arts coordination was top notch. the acting was wooden but you didnt see this movie to get academy awards. it is a genre bender that mixes both effeciently well. it has the tragedy of traditional westerns mixed with crazy martial arts. recommended.

jazz74
8/7/2011  7:52 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:Just saw Captain America. This a must see movie. Great story telling. I was really not impressed when I heard that the guy that played Johnny Storm was cast as Captain America but he was dead on. And as always, stay after the credits.

Yeah the movie was great. I had a few minor complaints like the lack of screen time. I thought Buck and Red Skull should have had even more screen time and the 3D really didn't add much to the movie. But I rank this with X-Men as one of this summer's top action movies. On a side note, the Avenger's has me psyched. DC better step it up after that Green Lantern disaster.

dc will step it up with dark knight rises mext year. but it seems to not get anything else right. green lantern wasnt bad but it should have been better. i also saw the first photos of man of steel which looks convincing but i can say the same about the photos for superman returns and it disappointed. they do have dood animation movies but thats it. oh well, i like marvel better anyway.

cshoops
USA
8/8/2011  1:25 AM
Marvel Vs. DC

DC will always be boss to Marvel even if Marvel has more success for the rest of time. DC fathered the super hero genre. Marvel was the kid on the block with new ideas but you have to give respect to DC. Superman is a intetity in it's own section when it comes to comics. Even if you didn't like Superman Returns you have to had noticed Smallville ran for about 10 years and the Christopher Reeves versions (1 and 2)can still compete with anything marvel puts out and it was done over 20 years ago. The Dark Knight is better than both Iron Man movies put together. The reason Marvel movies are doing so well is because of the anticipation caused by The Avengers. Marvel is more of a team up franchise. DC builds up there charecters more individually. If DC ever decides to reboot Superman with help of the Justice League dont't be surprised if Avengers gets trumped. In my opinion Villians make movies interesting and there are no bigger villians than Lex Luther and the Joker. Marvel is hot right now but Superman and Batman are not a fad they are a movement.

jazz74
8/8/2011  10:22 AM
cshoops wrote:Marvel Vs. DC

DC will always be boss to Marvel even if Marvel has more success for the rest of time. DC fathered the super hero genre. Marvel was the kid on the block with new ideas but you have to give respect to DC. Superman is a intetity in it's own section when it comes to comics. Even if you didn't like Superman Returns you have to had noticed Smallville ran for about 10 years and the Christopher Reeves versions (1 and 2)can still compete with anything marvel puts out and it was done over 20 years ago. The Dark Knight is better than both Iron Man movies put together. The reason Marvel movies are doing so well is because of the anticipation caused by The Avengers. Marvel is more of a team up franchise. DC builds up there charecters more individually. If DC ever decides to reboot Superman with help of the Justice League dont't be surprised if Avengers gets trumped. In my opinion Villians make movies interesting and there are no bigger villians than Lex Luther and the Joker. Marvel is hot right now but Superman and Batman are not a fad they are a movement.

well if you look at comic book sales, marvel has been kicking dc's tail for 30 + years ever since the claremont x-men run so its a little more than a "fad" now. dc is the father of modern day heroes but marvel arguably changed the horizon with the work of stan lee and jack "the king" kirby making heroes more relatable and "human" than the dc heroes which were looked at as modern day gods. for example, showing perter parker's personal problems with relationships or paying the bills just as important in his life as it is battling the grenn goblin on rooftops. that is the reason why there films suffer also. i like superman but my son says he doesnt because he is too powerful. i think that is why he is not as popular like he was 30 years ago. people think he is corny because of it. batman is relatable and grounded in reality so there is no doubt that it is successful. true in opinion that the dark knight is better than any of the avengers movie but i still ranked x2 ( underrrated movie imo which is written in the vein oif empire strikes back with layered story telling) and spider-man 2 ( greatest action sequence in the genre with the train battle) are better. as far as villains go, joker and luther are icons but if you read the comics, magneto has to be on top of the list. i like complex villains that are powerful but has more to bring to the table with personality and motive. magneto is that. that is why he is ranked the number one villain in true comic book polls like ign. the polls also show that dc beats marvel in animation and tv ( which refers to your smallville reference) but gets trumped in movies, video games, villains and heroes. well, there is my geek talk today.

jazz74
8/8/2011  10:28 AM
cshoops, dont get me wrong, i want dc to succeed. if they do, then this genre can continue making good movies. however, green lantern can hurt movie sales just as much as thor can help it. green lantern is an older hero and better known than thor but still only managed to make $120 mill. domestically. that is why we say dc needs to step up there game because right now, like their comic book sales, they are getting their butts kicked.
cshoops
USA
8/9/2011  1:54 AM
jazz74 wrote:cshoops, dont get me wrong, i want dc to succeed. if they do, then this genre can continue making good movies. however, green lantern can hurt movie sales just as much as thor can help it. green lantern is an older hero and better known than thor but still only managed to make $120 mill. domestically. that is why we say dc needs to step up there game because right now, like their comic book sales, they are getting their butts kicked.

Well Marvel didn't exactly break the bank with Daredevil and Elektra.
cshoops
USA
8/9/2011  2:02 AM
jazz74 wrote:

well if you look at comic book sales, marvel has been kicking dc's tail for 30 + years ever since the claremont x-men run so its a little more than a "fad" now. dc is the father of modern day heroes but marvel arguably changed the horizon with the work of stan lee and jack "the king" kirby making heroes more relatable and "human" than the dc heroes which were looked at as modern day gods. for example, showing perter parker's personal problems with relationships or paying the bills just as important in his life as it is battling the grenn goblin on rooftops. that is the reason why there films suffer also. i like superman but my son says he doesnt because he is too powerful. i think that is why he is not as popular like he was 30 years ago. people think he is corny because of it. batman is relatable and grounded in reality so there is no doubt that it is successful. true in opinion that the dark knight is better than any of the avengers movie but i still ranked x2 ( underrrated movie imo which is written in the vein oif empire strikes back with layered story telling) and spider-man 2 ( greatest action sequence in the genre with the train battle) are better. as far as villains go, joker and luther are icons but if you read the comics, magneto has to be on top of the list. i like complex villains that are powerful but has more to bring to the table with personality and motive. magneto is that. that is why he is ranked the number one villain in true comic book polls like ign. the polls also show that dc beats marvel in animation and tv ( which refers to your smallville reference) but gets trumped in movies, video games, villains and heroes. well, there is my geek talk today.

If we really want to get technical Marvel is now owned by Disney. DC is still DC.
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

8/9/2011  6:59 AM

Obviously a big shame what happened to Heath Ledger... but worse yet is I was really looking forward to a flick with The Joker as the main character. No one will touch that role for sometime, unfortunately

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
jazz74
8/9/2011  10:18 AM
cshoops wrote:
jazz74 wrote:

If we really want to get technical Marvel is now owned by Disney. DC is still DC.

well, technically DC is WB. Which is why people complained about the films thinking WB execs had to much say and ruined some films. Marvel had a few bombs like Elektra, Punisher War Zone and even Howard the Duck. However DC's bombs are well noted too with Steel, Supergirl, Jonak Hex, Losers and now Green Lantern. Truth be told that Marvel had more successes right now. It could change once DC get their act in order after the Nolan films.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
8/9/2011  10:59 AM
Where do you guys rank Watchmen?
cshoops
USA
8/10/2011  6:56 AM
jazz74 wrote:
cshoops wrote:
jazz74 wrote:

well, technically DC is WB. Which is why people complained about the films thinking WB execs had to much say and ruined some films. Marvel had a few bombs like Elektra, Punisher War Zone and even Howard the Duck. However DC's bombs are well noted too with Steel, Supergirl, Jonak Hex, Losers and now Green Lantern. Truth be told that Marvel had more successes right now. It could change once DC get their act in order after the Nolan films.

The Dark Knight is DC because they still own Batman. Marvel doesn't even own the Comics any more.
cshoops
USA
8/10/2011  7:02 AM
NYKBocker wrote:Where do you guys rank Watchmen?

Watchmen was the biggest bust in the Sci-Fi Genre. For all the hype there was no execution. Another movie I put in that category is District 9. A couple of movies that got unnoticed in my opinion was Push and Predators.

jazz74
8/10/2011  2:52 PM
cshoops wrote:
jazz74 wrote:
cshoops wrote:
jazz74 wrote:

The Dark Knight is DC because they still own Batman. Marvel doesn't even own the Comics any more.

i dont know what you mean. DC was bought up by the Time Warner Corp in the 70's, same umbrella as Warner Brothers ( the irony is that Warner wanted to buy both Marvel AND DC. would have been crazy but i suspect that it wouldnt push creativity with a monopoly). disney bought marvel entertainment which is as much of a sub company as dc is to time warner.

jazz74
8/10/2011  3:01 PM
NYKBocker wrote:Where do you guys rank Watchmen?

i think i already reviewed it when it came out, i am not sure. i thought the movie was done well. besides some problems such as the score and some wooden acting from some, it was pretty faithful to the spectacular graphic novel. i admit that the novel is hard to interpret on film. it cant do it justice and they did make some neccessary changes to help, such as the doomsday weapon at the end. its like stephen kings stand, one of the best novels i have ever read. you know why they havent made a motion picture of it ( not counting that decent mini-series)? because it is hard to do justice on the novel. same goes here.

Latest movies saw

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy