Member: #377
USA
2/24/2011  4:10 PM
OasisBU wrote:
Nalod wrote:
OasisBU wrote:
Nalod wrote:
OasisBU wrote:
Nalod wrote:Machette, Michelle Rod looked great. Alba too! Movie is a hoot!

Tetro by Francis Ford Coppola. Dude makes a quality flick. Interesting movie and well done. Not going to be everyones cup of tea.

I iiked. I give it 3.5 stars. Granted Nalod don't hand out 5 stars often.

I think I remember seeing a preview for Tetro and it looked interesting - what was that one about again?

Go to the "Tetro" website. Still exists. Very good story. Coppala makes a good flick!

Saw Tetro over the weekend on Netflix - solid movie. I like the whole feel of the film production and the fact that it is like a foreign film. The plot was a little obvious and it was slow sometimes but I enjoyed it.

Good analogy. There was some real symbolism and abstract in particular the "movie critic". It held me. The Kid was certainly a Leonardi DiCaprio look alike but did a great job Was his first movie and he is studying at NYU now. Nice bit to be on a resume'! Vincent Gallo is an interesting actor with a varied background.

I thought Gallo was excellent, haven't seen a movie with him before - always knew who he was but I think he has a lot of talent. Not so much Hollywood movie star talent but kind of like you put it: interesting actor who can do a lot of different stuff - I like those kinds of actors.

I know how you feel.

AUTOADVERT
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
3/6/2011  4:53 PM
been awhile since i reviewed movies here so here we go:

rango- this is a very different animated movie that starts off very strange and picks up. the animation is amazing and the best i have seen in awhile. the characters are what makes the movies, especially the naive townfolks. rango, of course, is the star as he keeps up his charade to be liked and does so convincingly. his bravery is not the result of him wanting to do it but he does it in order to keep the lying going which makes for a more engaging hero imo. recommended.

pirahna- this is the movie if you love graphic violence and nudity. i am a fan of it myself and this has PLENTY! this is totally predictable drivel but you know what to expect so lets not kid ourselves. the acting is subpar and no story to really talk about. its all about the attack and it comes in a flurry. not a movie for everyone obviously but if you like this genre definitely highly recommended.

unstoppable- denzel delivers like always but pine proves he can hang with the big boys in this. we kind of knew from star trek that he is a capable and engaging actor and he further shows it here. my girl rosario dawson was great too, and i am not being bias here. lol. the plot is simple involving a runaway train with dangerous chemicals on it. the execution is what we want to see here and it was done great like always. i am a tony scott fan, enjoying his movies greatly especially when he is paired with denzel. this was no exception. highly recommended.

the town- i am starting to really like the boston crime dramas and affleck made two really great ones. this movie hooked me from the start with the bank robbery scene. was it as good as "gone baby gone"? no but it was still great and affleck had one of his best performance in a long time. the real star was jeremy renner. even though he plays the stereotypical loose cannon partner, he redesigned it to make him more of a person than a character. cant wait to see him play hawkeye in the "avengers" next year. this movie is highly recommended.

orangeblobman
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #2539
Nauru
3/6/2011  4:55 PM
The Town was off the door hinges, raw as forks! It grabbed you by the ball sack and didn't let go until the credits rolled.
WE AIN'T NOWHERE WITH THIS BUM CHOKER IN CARMELO. GIVE ME STARKS'S 2-21 ANY DAY OVER THIS LACKLUSTER CLUSTEREFF.
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
3/8/2011  3:28 PM
orangeblobman wrote:The Town was off the door hinges, raw as forks! It grabbed you by the ball sack and didn't let go until the credits rolled.

I thought it was pretty good, just saw it - liked it a lot.

Also saw Due Date - thought that was pretty funny.

"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
USA
3/12/2011  5:43 PM
Finestrg wrote:
Anyone else looking forward to Battle: Los Angeles? 03/11/11. This thing looks sick! As long as it's better than Skyline I'll be happy. That flick sucked!! LOL!

TNT has an alien invasion series coming out soon called Fallen Skies with Noah Wyle that looks pretty cool too if you're into **** like this..

Other flicks on my radar: The Rite (comes out tommorrow), Insidious (haunted house/possessed kid flick by James Wan who made Saw), Sanctum, Super 8, Cowboys and Aliens, & The Thing (a prequel to John Carpenter's 1982 classic..I can't wait for this -- Carpenter's The Thing might be my favorite flick of all time..Definitely top 5).

Just watched Battle Los Angeles. Great flick. Must watch if you like these kind of movies.

Finestrg
Member: #1069

3/14/2011  5:58 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
Finestrg wrote:
Anyone else looking forward to Battle: Los Angeles? 03/11/11. This thing looks sick! As long as it's better than Skyline I'll be happy. That flick sucked!! LOL!

TNT has an alien invasion series coming out soon called Fallen Skies with Noah Wyle that looks pretty cool too if you're into **** like this..

Other flicks on my radar: The Rite (comes out tommorrow), Insidious (haunted house/possessed kid flick by James Wan who made Saw), Sanctum, Super 8, Cowboys and Aliens, & The Thing (a prequel to John Carpenter's 1982 classic..I can't wait for this -- Carpenter's The Thing might be my favorite flick of all time..Definitely top 5).

Just watched Battle Los Angeles. Great flick. Must watch if you like these kind of movies.

Absolutely bro..Saw it the other day and I thought it delivered the goods. Great, intense action from start to finish..Effects ranged from very good to superb throughout..I had a ton of fun with it..Can't for the life of me figure out some of these negative reviews --- they're all talking about the same nonsensical things: poor character development/stock characters, the shaky camera filmmaking style, poking fun at the dialogue, etc...I mean WTF did some of these reviewers think they were going to see? Gone with the Wind? Doctor Zhivago?? Gimmie a break..This flick was a solid entry in the Sci-fi alien invasion genre. Period. Granted, I'm kinda done with the shaky camera stuff myself but it actually worked really well here, amping up the feeling of realism and being right there with the marines in the thick of the confusion and never seemed too disorienting..Aaron Eckhart's character was awesome--great leader with an interesting enough backstory, and most of the dialogue seemed appropriate for the setting and situation (the marines acted and sounded like marines to me)..I would've liked to have seen the aliens a little more closely and known a little more about them and their intentions but I felt we were given plenty and what we didn't know and see kinda added to the sense of mystery...I dug how this wasn't some 85 min-and-out flick too---we got 2 full hours of pure adrenaline. Two thumbs up!!!

NYKBocker
USA
3/16/2011  12:53 AM
Just saw "The Next Three Days". A little long but the performances were great. This is a study of a mans love to a woman.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
3/17/2011  1:57 AM
I wasn't really impressed with Battle LA. It was OK but it wasn't worth the hype. Cool special effects, but even that could have been better. It seemed like they tried copying Independance Day and Saving Private Ryan.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
jazz74
5/8/2011  9:05 PM
fast five- THIS is the official start of the summer season. the best film of the series imo and it hardly had any racing! the best thing they did in this one was fleshed out the characters to make them relatable and highly likable. the approach is much different which helps too making it a heist movie in the vein of ocean 11. the stunts are ridiculous as well as the action. one of those films that you need to leave your brain at the door. however, the action was superb and this movie was great. highly recommended.

thor- not to say that this film was bad but i still enjoyed it. this is a typical origin movie with the action not as fast pace as some other comic book movies. however, when the action starts it is amazing. hensworth played thor as great as possible. loki was played differently than he was portrayed in the comics but i like this was as he is conniving and manipulative. this also helps bridge the way to the "avengers" using the mystical worlds and grounding them so it will work. also when thor has his power, they definitely do not depower him like they do in the cartoons. he show his power in full! i just wonder why he needs to join a team next year when he is this powerful. there is also a scene after the credits but only true comic book fans know what it is. recommended.

NYKBocker
USA
6/17/2011  12:55 AM
TMS wrote:can't get enough of these kinds of movies

I finally saw this movie. Pretty good movie. I thought the lead was a little wooden on his acting. The slave is a very good actor. I think he is the actor from Jumper.

MaTT4281
Member: #538
USA
6/17/2011  3:26 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/17/2011  3:44 AM
Just got back from the midnight showing of Green Lantern.

I liked it a lot, thought it was a very fun movie, and the CGI was terrific. It fell victim to some cheesy moments, which I suppose is inevitable, but didn't take itself too serious. And Blake Lively was f***ing hot as Carol Ferris.

The story was a little uneven, but they tried to balance an origin story along with a setup for sequels, which there absolutely will be. I'm a big fan of DC Comics though, so I'm not sure if a regular movie goer without any background on GL may be overwhelmed by the inclusion of several big names in the GL mythos or not.

Overall, I give it a 7/10 and very much await the next movie.

*Also just saw the trailer for the movie Immortals. Looks basically like an extension of 300, but hey, I loved that movie too. Looking forward to it.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/17/2011  12:42 PM
Glad you brought this thread back. Saw this last week, one of the best films I've seen in a while. Its a film in the tradition of old school Japanese films like The Seven Samurai but with a new twist. Some amazing action sequences, acting, and cinematography. Its on PPV/Netflix./Bluray

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/17/2011  2:11 PM
Im so far behind......just caught "the fighter"........What a family!
NYKBocker
USA
6/17/2011  8:41 PM
Nalod wrote:Im so far behind......just caught "the fighter"........What a family!

My goodness. That was a heck of a flick. What a family is right. Great performances by all. I was a little confused at how many sisters they had.

OasisBU
USA
6/17/2011  8:43 PM
Mman I haven't been to the movies in a looooong time - anything good out?I was thinking of checking out Super 8
jazz74
6/26/2011  10:33 PM
x-men:first class- i had my reservations about this movie, especially since they messed up x3 and wolverine. i heard the good word of mouth and saw it for myself. VERY GOOD! almost nostalgic in film making as the tine and storyline seemed straight from an old james bond movie like dr. no or goldfinger. the characters were on point but it is magneto who powers this film. magneto is one of the best villains of all time and x-men 1 and 2 showed that. he was misused in x3 but he was front and center here. very sympathetic and deliberate in his performance. xavier was great too as he is almost juvenile and playful which is a long cry from his stoic and uptight future counterpart. bacon as shaw was great as he brought his character above the mustache twirling but still had a unique balance of an old school meets new school villain. i hope they have more sequels like this as this highly recommended.

green lantern- this is not as bad as others make it out to be but it is not exactly great cinema either.reynolds is the least of this film problems as he gave a decent performance. my main gripe, and i am a green lantern fan as he is my favorite dc character, is the flimsy storyline. ( spoiler)
like when sinestro gave this big speech about all the lanterns, had to be thousands of them, fighting this menace and they only sent like six with no plan.

but the action was good when it comes and it is good seeing green lantern actually live. it reminded me of my generation lantern from the superfriends making many objects and using it creatively instead of the recent generation's john stewart who uses the ring more practically. i would kind of recommend this for a rental but the sound was great for the big screen so see it in a theater. not as good as the other comic book movies like X-men or even thor, tho. bring on transformers and captain america! this is truly a geek summer!

OasisBU
USA
6/27/2011  1:53 PM
Saw 2 rentals this weekend:

Uknown starring Liam Nieson - was pretty good, a little predictable but fun and interesting. Taken is a better revenge flick with Liam but this one isn't bad.

The Adjustment Bureau starring Matt Damon - Eh. It was decent but very predictable and not as good as it looks. They could have done more with it. Reminds me a lot of Dark City but with less of a sci fi feel. Dark City was much better in my opinion.

NYKBocker
USA
7/1/2011  8:35 PM
Saw Green Lantern today. I agree with jazz74 and MaTT4281. This is a very fun movie to watch.

And yes, Blake Lively is ****ing hot.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/4/2011  5:56 PM
Saw Green Lantern and i agree, Blake Lively is smoking. But I think I liked her better when she was dirtier looking in "The Town". I'm kinda split on this. Dirty Blake or cleaned up Blake. I dunno...bute back to the Green Lantern, that movie sucked in ways I didn't think was possible. It lacked a coherent plot and character development. Plus the combination of the CG and 3-D gave me a bad migraine. I understand that it wasn't meant to be the "Dark knight," but I wasn't expecting "Howard the Duck."
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
7/5/2011  11:22 AM
I know a lot of people weren't impressed with the 2nd one (I liked it) but I am about to see Transformers 3. I'll let you f&%kers know how it is.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Latest movies saw

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy