[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Latest movies saw
Author Thread
Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

5/20/2010  9:04 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/20/2010  9:19 PM
Finally saw Daybreakers. Very good vampire flick with so many cool ideas. The only thing I didn't like is that they never really bother to explain the whole epidemic, why & how it originated, etc.. However it could've been done -- explained slowly through flashbacks like I am Legend or even given to us quickly in the beginning like how the movie Reign of Fire decided to explain where the dragons came from -- I don't know man, something, because it definitely needed more of an explanation. To not give us anything at all came off as a mistake by the filmmakers..For a movie that was only 90 mins., you kinda walk away wanting a little more - it really needed to be fleshed out some more & a little longer, maybe 1:45 to 2 hours.. Just a minor criticism though because other than that, everything else was first-rate: the rest of the story was outstanding, Ethan Hawke was good, Willem Dafoe's character was AWESOME with many cool lines, Sam Neill was great as the piece of shyt CEO of the blood-harvesting company only concerned with appealing to the masses and making a buck, the 2 chicks (the human female on the run that seeks out Hawke's help & Sam Neill's daughter) were both hot, and the set design and makeup F/X were outstanding. I just wanted a little more that's all.. DVD was great too with an informative and pretty lengthy 'making of' featurette. Very solid 3 out of 4 stars though...I say SEE IT! LOL.
AUTOADVERT
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
5/31/2010  10:31 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/31/2010  10:40 PM
for any martial arts movie fans out there, this is a must watch movie:

"Fighter in the Wind" (2004) - a semi-biographical story based on the life of Korean Karate master, Choi Yeoung-Eui, the founder of Kyokushin Karate (better known by his Japanese alias, Mas Oyama). if you can get past the over-exaggerated sequences of the main character's martial arts training, it's actually a very good movie with some of the best martial arts fighting sequences i've ever seen in a movie. the fight scenes are actually much more realistic than the typical Wushu based movies with flying daggers and hidden dragons that are much more stylistic & flash... the fight moves in this movie show off some of the real strength & beauty of the Korean Taekkyon & Japanese Karate artforms, although obviously for visual effect there are some exaggerated sequences included, but nothing like guys running on water or floating above rooftops & doing quadruple somersaults in the air kind of stuff... & the storyline, while a bit contrived with the typical "student who is out for revenge for his teacher's death so he goes into the mountains to train" plot, is actually pretty engaging & the actors do a good job of representing their characters well... actually a lot of the story is based on actual facts surrounding the life of Choi (he actually did go into the mountains to train)... this guy has been sensationalized in comic books, cartoons & movies, & has inspired a ton of present day martial artists... definitely recommend this one.

1 of the best fight scenes from the film (don't watch if you don't like spoilers):

After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
TMS
USA
6/1/2010  12:06 AM
another one not to be missed

lol

After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
TMS
USA
7/12/2010  1:59 AM
just caught Predators. was a disappointment. the plot was canned and very unoriginal. the action sequences were predictable and not nearly enough character development to make u care if they lived or died. Adrian Brody as a badass mercenary just did not work at all. hardly anything new brought to the table that u havent already seen in previous Predator movies. Ending sets up for a possible sequel. I really hope they do a better job with it than this one.
AnubisADL
Alba Posts: 13
Member: #2771
USA
7/12/2010  9:09 AM
TMS wrote:just caught Predators. was a disappointment. the plot was canned and very unoriginal. the action sequences were predictable and not nearly enough character development to make u care if they lived or died. Adrian Brody as a badass mercenary just did not work at all. hardly anything new brought to the table that u havent already seen in previous Predator movies. Ending sets up for a possible sequel. I really hope they do a better job with it than this one.

LOL

It was a Predators movie. Nice special effects. Good actions scenes. Sweet ending. I loved it.

Cannot wait for Inception.

NY Knicks - Retirement home for players and GMs
jazz74
Member: #371
7/12/2010  10:08 AM
edge of darkness- got to hand it to mel, though he is practically a nazi, he is a good actor. this was made with taken in mind though more violent. its a typical revenge movie and very predictable with mel getting into something bigger than he realized. some sequences are surprising and the pace was well handled. great performances. recommended but i saw this before i heard about his racist rant so i wouldnt have supported it if i found out earlier.

book of eli- heard many things about this movie, mostly good and it did not disappoint. hughes bros. did it again with this and made a great movie with nice action and suspense. denzel and oldman killed it like always. i thought the religious aspect of the movie was something very different for a post apocyliptic movie. highly recommended.

toy story 3- let me start of by saying this, the first two movies i never sat down and saw the whole thing so i didnt know if i would like or get this one. i was dead wrong. this is by far the best movie of the year as pixar continues to ride the wave of great movies it has for nearly ten years. this is the 'granddaddy" franchise if you will that showed no age. as a matter of fact, it seems more polished than some of the new cartoons. emotional, funny, exciting and suspenseful, this movie is a treasure. highly recommended as in you need to stop what you are doing and go if you havent seen it.

brooklyns finest- though it seems like a rehash from new jack city, donnie brasco, training day, and departed rolled up in one, it was decent yet very predictable. this is a genre i like. i like intercity crime action/drama. this has all the cliche's as there are three interwoven stories dealing with cops serving in a precinct that is caught under fire for brutality. these cops do not interact with each other throughout the story but their lives mirror different perspective of how they approach their job. it is good if you like that genre and its good to see wesley snipes in a role like this but he doesnt give his exceptional "nino brown" performance like the commercials make it seem. recommended.

TMS
USA
7/12/2010  12:34 PM
AnubisADL wrote:
TMS wrote:just caught Predators. was a disappointment. the plot was canned and very unoriginal. the action sequences were predictable and not nearly enough character development to make u care if they lived or died. Adrian Brody as a badass mercenary just did not work at all. hardly anything new brought to the table that u havent already seen in previous Predator movies. Ending sets up for a possible sequel. I really hope they do a better job with it than this one.

LOL

It was a Predators movie. Nice special effects. Good actions scenes. Sweet ending. I loved it.

Cannot wait for Inception.

nice special effects? not IMO... & the action scenes were not well thought out if you ask me... the fight sequences were much better in the AVP movies & the original predator... this was much more like Predator 2, another cheesy & predictable movie with characters you didn't give a crap about.

TMS
USA
7/12/2010  12:35 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/12/2010  12:36 PM
jazz74 wrote:book of eli- heard many things about this movie, mostly good and it did not disappoint. hughes bros. did it again with this and made a great movie with nice action and suspense. denzel and oldman killed it like always. i thought the religious aspect of the movie was something very different for a post apocyliptic movie. highly recommended.

definitely feel you on Book of Eli... i loved it even tho it was a Mad Max/Road Warrior copy in concept... the added religious aspect was a nice touch... Denzell was badass in this movie.

OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
7/19/2010  5:28 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/19/2010  5:29 PM
Saw Inception over the weekend - I thought it was awesome.

It was a lot like the first Matrix with some interesting new sci fi idea's. The special effects were not all CGI like most movies these days, Christopher Nolan tried to capture as much realism as possible within a dream world.

The acting is first class, the story is gripping, overall I thought it was a very solid movie and well worth the price of admission. I highly recommend it.

It is a bit long - almost 3 hours.

"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
bitty41
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #1215

7/19/2010  10:09 PM
I loved loved Inception saw it on opening night and still trying to wrap my mind around it! I love Nolan' more mind-bender films like Memento and the Prestige. But this film is every great thing about Nolan's film wrapped in one.
OasisBU
USA
7/19/2010  10:42 PM
bitty41 wrote:I loved loved Inception saw it on opening night and still trying to wrap my mind around it! I love Nolan' more mind-bender films like Memento and the Prestige. But this film is every great thing about Nolan's film wrapped in one.

I think Nolan is one of the best out there in hollywood - I actually prefer his regular movies to the batman films and the batmans are pretty awesome.

Inception is totally mind blowing, one of the best films I have seen in years. It totally lived up to my expectations.

Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
7/20/2010  12:07 AM
Inception was great. It didn't look impressive in the trailors, but I really liked it. It's a great movie to talk about with people afterwards too.

Sorcerors Apprentice sucked ars.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
7/20/2010  12:08 AM
One more good movie was Solitary Man. I'm becoming more of a Michael Douglas fan everyday. Good acting, although it was a bit sad and depressing.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/20/2010  2:49 AM
bitty41 wrote:I loved loved Inception saw it on opening night and still trying to wrap my mind around it! I love Nolan' more mind-bender films like Memento and the Prestige. But this film is every great thing about Nolan's film wrapped in one.

I just saw Inception yesterday and i gotta agree with you. I think the thing that separates Inception from Memento and Prestige is the emotional connection that Nolan establishes with the main character. There were points were I suspended belief and felt as if I was swirling around in this guys head. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely things I felt could've been done better -- too much explanatory, not enough development of some of the side characters -- but I left the theater satisfied at the end.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
bitty41
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #1215

7/20/2010  8:09 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/20/2010  8:14 AM
OasisBU wrote:

I think Nolan is one of the best out there in hollywood - I actually prefer his regular movies to the batman films and the batmans are pretty awesome.

Inception is totally mind blowing, one of the best films I have seen in years. It totally lived up to my expectations.

Yea before seeing Inception the Prestige was my favorite Nolan film. But I thought this movie was a combination of great action, heart-wrenching drama, and a mind-bender. I read that Nolan had been writing this script for a few years and I really felt that he put his heart and soul into this film.

BigDaddyG
I completely agree about the emotional connection in this film compared to Nolan's previous films. Also it was kind of weird not seeing Christian Bale on screen for this film nonetheless I loved Leo in the role of Cobb. The side character Joseph Gordon Levitt, Tom Hardy, Ken Watanabe, anc Cillian Murphy were all excellent.

OasisBU
USA
7/20/2010  9:16 AM
bitty41 wrote:
OasisBU wrote:

Yea before seeing Inception the Prestige was my favorite Nolan film. But I thought this movie was a combination of great action, heart-wrenching drama, and a mind-bender. I read that Nolan had been writing this script for a few years and I really felt that he put his heart and soul into this film.

BigDaddyG
I completely agree about the emotional connection in this film compared to Nolan's previous films. Also it was kind of weird not seeing Christian Bale on screen for this film nonetheless I loved Leo in the role of Cobb. The side character Joseph Gordon Levitt, Tom Hardy, Ken Watanabe, anc Cillian Murphy were all excellent.

I also thought that Marion Cotillard (whom I might add is extremely hot) did an amazing job - her character was absolutely chilling. I thought it was a nice touch by Nolan to use Edith Piaf music throughout the movie as thats the role Cotillard won best actress for.

jazz74
Member: #371
7/25/2010  1:15 PM
green zone- i think matt damon is an underrated actor and most things he is in, he gives his all. he brings that in this movie which would be a typical movie if it wasnt for him. the movie examines combat zone frustrations similar to "jarhead" except when damon's character get exclusive intel he becomes proactive which eventually kicks over a hornets nest. the story is simple to follow and the action is good but it seems redundant in some parts and its forgettable compared to other war movies, particularly last years hurt locker.

despicable me- animated movies are much more sophisticated the past ten years because it is lucrative to keep ALL audiences entertained which is still hard for some movies to grasp ( uh, "hoodwinked?"). fortunately despicable me doesnt fall in that category. the characters are all significant and likable even though its a movie about villains. the change in direction of the main villain is of course predictable but not forces. i dont mind predictable movies as long as the journey there is entertaining and this was every bit as entertaining. is it as good as toy story 3? not even close. however, it is still good enough to match against most movies of the genre recently. recommended.

predators- well let me first tell you, i am a HUGE predator fans. i loved the first movie and loved predators 2 tho many hated it. then the vs. aliens movies came out and just took the brand to the gutter. so with rodriguez in tow, i was excited about this one. the result? a movie better than the vs. but still lagging behind the first two. i love how they expanded the lore and customs of the predators. however, there were many things that suspended belief in this movie. i thought the protaganist, though i like adrian brody, was not as imposing as the arnold or even danny in the first two movies. the first two protaganists had their strengths in defeating the predators such as arnold's strategic planning with training or danny's unpredictable improvising. brody's character is a combination of the two but didnt have the presence like the others. dont get me wrong, i thought it was decent but i expected a LOT more.

inception- hate to say it but nolan is THE man. excellent film with a brilliant cast. the movie intertwines many favorable movies such as "dreamscape", "matrix", and even "for your eyes only". i love a great team dynamic and this was one of the best. very original concept and the ambiguous ending was exceptional with people debating what has happened. however, its not a perfect movie. there were some pacing issues as i checked my watch and too many rules dealing with the dreamscape which confuses with some of them feeling unnecessary to explain. however, i planned to buy this when it comes out on blu ray. great movie and highly recommended.

TMac
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3160

8/10/2010  11:14 AM
Watched Rocky on Tv the other day..
I don't think there will be a problem unless somebody wants to make a problem, ... If they really want to make a problem, they're going to have to make a decision about how they want to spend their adult life in terms of playing in the NBA or not.
Finestrg
Member: #1069

8/10/2010  11:23 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/10/2010  12:11 PM
How sick does this look:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1470827/

http://www.monstersfilm.com/

Watch the video on the official web site. This dude Gareth Edwards looks like the next big thing as far as directors go. Sounds very inovative as far as being able to do so much on such a small budget...Much like how the Spierig brothers created their first movie Undead, it looks like Edwards and his small crew managed to do a lot of the F/X work (looks like SUPERIOR F/X work at that) at home on home computers...Has elements that remind me of Undead, District 9 (starting the story in an after-the-fact manner as in 'the aliens have already been here for awhile', the landscape littered with signs designating the 'infected' zones, using a foreign country for the setting--in this case Mexico), and Spielberg's War of the Worlds & Independence Day (creature design)...Wow..This looks awesome. Count me in for this one! I think it offically hits theaters October 29th.

Looks like Edwards' only other film (outside of some visual effects work) was an ambitious made-for-TV feature for British televison back in 2005 called End Day. I think it's a kind of pseudo-documentary that chronicles a few end-of-the-world scenarios, all coming in different ways, as a result of scientists messing with a 'particle accelerator' or something.. Funny, I've read a few negative comments about this on imdb.com but I think it looks pretty cool. I mean what do some people expect, a $100+ million dollar summer blockbuster extravaganza?? Give the man a break..This was his first project. LOL..Everyone's gotta start somewhere, right? Watching part 1 of 6 right now..

TMS
USA
8/10/2010  12:15 PM
Finestrg wrote:How sick does this look:

i can't really tell, the trailer doesn't show me anything.

Latest movies saw

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy