[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Latest movies saw
Author Thread
bitty41
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #1215

4/4/2010  6:22 PM
TMS wrote:awesome! i love movies like that... that new one with Tracy Morgan, Martin Laurence & Chris Rock looks funny too.

[IMG_block] http://backseatcuddler.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/death_at_a_funeral.jpg [/IMG_block]

"yo that was messed up how your dad fell outta that casket like a dead fish... he was BLAOW! i was like DAAAAYAAM!"

LMAO!

The original is hilarious! Just saw it for the first time a few months ago rent it!

AUTOADVERT
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
4/9/2010  10:41 AM
NYKBocker wrote:
OasisBU wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:Just Shutter Island. eh. Wasn't too impressed. I am curious if Marv saw this flick already and what is his review on it.

I had been looking forward to this for a long time - I thought it was good but not great. The ending was predictable, and I felt the acting was a little hollow with now real emotional connections but it wasn't awful - just not as good as I expected considering it was a Scorcese (sp?) and DiCaprio film.

I agree. I kinda figured out the ending early in the movie. Cinematography I thought was good in that it had a feel of the old thriller movies. The little role by Rorschach was very good. Jackie Earle Haley is fast becoming one of my favorite actors.

Good not great. Question: If this wasn't a Scorcese film, would you be swayed for crap or better than expected?

I miss the 1st 15 minutes of this movie, and was absolutely puzzle by the ending, what was the deal

ES
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
4/9/2010  10:58 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
OasisBU wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:Just Shutter Island. eh. Wasn't too impressed. I am curious if Marv saw this flick already and what is his review on it.

I had been looking forward to this for a long time - I thought it was good but not great. The ending was predictable, and I felt the acting was a little hollow with now real emotional connections but it wasn't awful - just not as good as I expected considering it was a Scorcese (sp?) and DiCaprio film.

I agree. I kinda figured out the ending early in the movie. Cinematography I thought was good in that it had a feel of the old thriller movies. The little role by Rorschach was very good. Jackie Earle Haley is fast becoming one of my favorite actors.

Good not great. Question: If this wasn't a Scorcese film, would you be swayed for crap or better than expected?

I miss the 1st 15 minutes of this movie, and was absolutely puzzle by the ending, what was the deal

I think I would give everybody a disservice if I posted spoilers here. Sorry.

OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
4/9/2010  11:34 AM
NYKBocker wrote:
OasisBU wrote:

Hmmm good question - even if Scorcese didn't direct it I still would expect a lot out of DiCaprio - I would say it was just average, not crap but definitely not better than expected. It was not a bad movie, it just didn't grab me the way I thought it would.

"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
jazz74
Member: #371
4/9/2010  9:24 PM
clash of the titans- ( possible spoilers) well, i was informed to not waste my time watching this in 3d so i didnt. the movie was mediocre at best and expected better things from this and didnt get it. the original was way better in all aspects except maybe sfx depending if you like claymations or not. first, worthington was pretty much a stick figure with no charisma. the soldiers had personalities which was a good change than the "storm trooper" syndrome the first film had. however, that is the only good thing. the pacing wasnt great, borderline boring. letterier the director knows how to direct action as the sequences were great when it presents itself. however, it come in to far between. the story has changed to near ridiculous concepts. it is like they read "percy jackson" and say why dont we make this movie like that one instead of using the original as the template. not to mention that the greatest thing i saw with the commercials and trailer, the kraken, you only see for a total of two minutes. what a let down.

astro boy- i remember the comic when i was little and thought it was just another japanese animation that is like everything else. i used to like anime until one fateful weekend in college when my roomates friend watched a box full of it for 48 hours straight! hated it ever since but this is computer animate and my son wanted to see it so i bit. this was mildly entertaining which lends a little bit to other animated movies that were better but nevertheless still good ( iron giant and robots). so it isnt anything new but the action is good and a very good natured story. recommended.

Finestrg
Member: #1069

4/10/2010  12:18 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/10/2010  12:50 AM
jazz74 wrote:clash of the titans- ( possible spoilers) well, i was informed to not waste my time watching this in 3d so i didnt. the movie was mediocre at best and expected better things from this and didnt get it. the original was way better in all aspects except maybe sfx depending if you like claymations or not. first, worthington was pretty much a stick figure with no charisma. the soldiers had personalities which was a good change than the "storm trooper" syndrome the first film had. however, that is the only good thing. the pacing wasnt great, borderline boring. letterier the director knows how to direct action as the sequences were great when it presents itself. however, it come in to far between. the story has changed to near ridiculous concepts. it is like they read "percy jackson" and say why dont we make this movie like that one instead of using the original as the template. not to mention that the greatest thing i saw with the commercials and trailer, the kraken, you only see for a total of two minutes. what a let down.

astro boy- i remember the comic when i was little and thought it was just another japanese animation that is like everything else. i used to like anime until one fateful weekend in college when my roomates friend watched a box full of it for 48 hours straight! hated it ever since but this is computer animate and my son wanted to see it so i bit. this was mildly entertaining which lends a little bit to other animated movies that were better but nevertheless still good ( iron giant and robots). so it isnt anything new but the action is good and a very good natured story. recommended.

Yeah I agree Jazz - Clash of the Titans was disappointing. Good special effects overall with some interesting new ideas (I LOVED the Djinn character, I liked those flying Harpies, I thought the city of Argos was beautifully rendered on screen as was Pegasus, some critics thought the Kraken was anticlimactic--I didn't I thought it looked cool, & I liked the idea of adding Io, Perseus' demi-god protector, & Hades to the story although each character was muddled & underwritten) but you're right bro, the storytelling was much worse than the original. First off, what was Perseus' motivation for even going on the quest and putting his life in danger? In the original, he marries Andromeda and sets out to save her from Calibos and impending doom at the hand of the Kraken. Right there's his motivation (and speaking of Calibos, his entirely different back story was much more interesting in the original. Calibos is completely underwritten here not to mention he looked better and was creepier in the original too)..In this remake, Perseus has no real tie to Argos or Andromeda at all -- he's merely a fisherman who's angry his human father ended up as an unfortunate casualty in an attack by the Gods against the brazen citizens of Argos. I was like, 'OK, that's it'?? WTF? Stupid...The lackluster story, the wooden performance by Worthington (Perseus is a character that should've commanded much more respect but that's not how he comes off in this remake - whether that's Worthington's fault or just bad writing I'm not sure), and some omissions from the original movie (where's that 3-headed dog that guarded Medusa's lair? Where's the invisibility helmet?? Where's the God Poseidon - wasn't he really in control of the Kraken??) all make for one uneven movie, despite some really cool effects. The original is still way more fun and much more enjoyable...I give this 5/10. Just wait for video..

Childs2Dudley
Member: #3051
USA
4/10/2010  2:59 AM
I'm disappointed that another Greek "epic" is getting bad reviews. First Alexander, now this. I thought Troy was good but I really need to see a truly great Greek mythology/history movie. Hopefully one will come down the road.
"Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us." - Earl Nightingale
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
4/10/2010  10:47 AM
Childs2Dudley wrote:I'm disappointed that another Greek "epic" is getting bad reviews. First Alexander, now this. I thought Troy was good but I really need to see a truly great Greek mythology/history movie. Hopefully one will come down the road.

Troy was good except for the excess displays of Brad Pitt with no clothes on... we really don't need to see him naked every 2 seconds to know he's in shape... i'm sure the women & gay viewers had no problem with it but i would have liked to see more naked Greek & Trojan women to balance out the gayness.

After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
jazz74
4/10/2010  11:05 AM
Finestrg wrote:
jazz74 wrote:clash of the titans- ( possible spoilers) well, i was informed to not waste my time watching this in 3d so i didnt. the movie was mediocre at best and expected better things from this and didnt get it. the original was way better in all aspects except maybe sfx depending if you like claymations or not. first, worthington was pretty much a stick figure with no charisma. the soldiers had personalities which was a good change than the "storm trooper" syndrome the first film had. however, that is the only good thing. the pacing wasnt great, borderline boring. letterier the director knows how to direct action as the sequences were great when it presents itself. however, it come in to far between. the story has changed to near ridiculous concepts. it is like they read "percy jackson" and say why dont we make this movie like that one instead of using the original as the template. not to mention that the greatest thing i saw with the commercials and trailer, the kraken, you only see for a total of two minutes. what a let down.

Yeah I agree Jazz - Clash of the Titans was disappointing. Good special effects overall with some interesting new ideas (I LOVED the Djinn character, I liked those flying Harpies, I thought the city of Argos was beautifully rendered on screen as was Pegasus, some critics thought the Kraken was anticlimactic--I didn't I thought it looked cool, & I liked the idea of adding Io, Perseus' demi-god protector, & Hades to the story although each character was muddled & underwritten) but you're right bro, the storytelling was much worse than the original. First off, what was Perseus' motivation for even going on the quest and putting his life in danger? In the original, he marries Andromeda and sets out to save her from Calibos and impending doom at the hand of the Kraken. Right there's his motivation (and speaking of Calibos, his entirely different back story was much more interesting in the original. Calibos is completely underwritten here not to mention he looked better and was creepier in the original too)..In this remake, Perseus has no real tie to Argos or Andromeda at all -- he's merely a fisherman who's angry his human father ended up as an unfortunate casualty in an attack by the Gods against the brazen citizens of Argos. I was like, 'OK, that's it'?? WTF? Stupid...The lackluster story, the wooden performance by Worthington (Perseus is a character that should've commanded much more respect but that's not how he comes off in this remake - whether that's Worthington's fault or just bad writing I'm not sure), and some omissions from the original movie (where's that 3-headed dog that guarded Medusa's lair? Where's the invisibility helmet?? Where's the God Poseidon - wasn't he really in control of the Kraken??) all make for one uneven movie, despite some really cool effects. The original is still way more fun and much more enjoyable...I give this 5/10. Just wait for video..

i forgot about mentioning the lack of gifts perseus was supposed to get like the helmet or shield. the three headed dog was greatly missed and what happened to the scorpions in this movie was pure CHEESE! calibos was underdeveloped and the original portrayal looked much better. not to mention that medusa didnt look scary at all. as a matter of fact, for a cgi, she looked fairly good except for the snakes in her hair. then they set this up for a sequel which is pure crap. i am also tired of films making hades look like a villain in movies when in mythology he performed the least amount of atrocities compared to the other gods, particularly aphrodite and zeus. also the lack of involvement of the other gods disappointed me. the original had a decent amount of gods involved where in this one it is primarily hades and zeus. athena, who played a huge part in perseus' adventures, wasnt even shown in my recollection. oh well, despite that, the nxt couple of months will be busy for me on the movie front. first, kick-ass next week, then nightmare on elm street the following week and then iron man 2.

TMS
USA
4/10/2010  11:18 AM
that's disappointed to hear about Clash of the Titans... i was really looking forward to watching this one too... i guess i'll have to temper my expectations a lot... interesting to hear about how it was Zeus vs. Hades in this version... the original was mostly Zeus vs. Thetis.

is Aphrodite at least hot in the remake? not easy to outdo Ursula Andress.

[IMG_block] http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3109/3098931231_6ce958f0dc_o.jpg [/IMG_block]

After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Finestrg

4/10/2010  2:03 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/10/2010  2:07 PM
jazz74 wrote:
Finestrg wrote:

i forgot about mentioning the lack of gifts perseus was supposed to get like the helmet or shield. the three headed dog was greatly missed and what happened to the scorpions in this movie was pure CHEESE! calibos was underdeveloped and the original portrayal looked much better. not to mention that medusa didnt look scary at all. as a matter of fact, for a cgi, she looked fairly good except for the snakes in her hair. then they set this up for a sequel which is pure crap. i am also tired of films making hades look like a villain in movies when in mythology he performed the least amount of atrocities compared to the other gods, particularly aphrodite and zeus. also the lack of involvement of the other gods disappointed me. the original had a decent amount of gods involved where in this one it is primarily hades and zeus. athena, who played a huge part in perseus' adventures, wasnt even shown in my recollection. oh well, despite that, the nxt couple of months will be busy for me on the movie front. first, kick-ass next week, then nightmare on elm street the following week and then iron man 2.

Yup. You know what else I didn't get Jazz -- what was up with how outrageously defiant they made the humans out to be against the Gods?? And for no apparent reason..I mean in the original King Acrisius, Queen Cassiopeia and Calibos were the only one's who dared to defy the Gods and as a result, punishment rained down on them & others as well (at least in the King & Queen's case). Everyone else remained respectful and in awe of the Gods as you would expect them to be. In the remake, it seemed that all the citizens were always whipped up in some crazy suicidal frenzy all the time. I have to see it again, but that's how it seemed to me.. Really people, you start cutting down huge statues and burning temples that are all supposed to be dedicated to the Gods, what the hell do you think is gonna happen to ya? LOL. I'm not really up on the actual fable but I'm sure it didn't include rebellious humans waging completely unwinnable battles against the Gods on a daily basis. I mean probably not a good idea, you know? LOL! Now they did kinda of hint at the fact that the Gods were loosing their hold on humanity and some of their power I think but I just didn't buy the human's foolish sense of bravado here. By in large, the masses worshiped and remained fearful of the Gods. So I thought anyway...Just one of the many parts of the story that bothered me....This movie could've been really, really good. A blockbuster even. Too bad they just didn't take enough time with the script in order to flesh out a more believable, coherent story. Of all the movies to screw up the story man, I tell ya...There's really no excuse to mess this story up. Not when you had the actual Greek myth and the original movie to refer to and fall back on.. Ridiculous..Almost every little tinker they did to the story was for the worse it seemed...Oh well, could've been a good one...

Yeah I'll be there for Nightmare on Elm Street & IM2..The Nightmare trailer's cool - I'm really looking forward to the beginning with the angry mob chasing a human Freddy into the abandoned building (I don't remember now, but was that scene in Craven's original?) Iron Man 2 looks awesome as well. The first Iron Man kinda surprised me on how good it was and the sequel looks like more of the same. Can't wait to see Mickey Rourke in this..

Finestrg

4/10/2010  2:13 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/10/2010  2:14 PM
TMS wrote:that's disappointed to hear about Clash of the Titans... i was really looking forward to watching this one too... i guess i'll have to temper my expectations a lot... interesting to hear about how it was Zeus vs. Hades in this version... the original was mostly Zeus vs. Thetis.

is Aphrodite at least hot in the remake? not easy to outdo Ursula Andress.

[IMG_block] http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3109/3098931231_6ce958f0dc_o.jpg [/IMG_block]

You know what bro, that's a good question. I honestly don't remember her in the remake. There were a bunch of Gods always standing around in the chamber on Olympus when Zeus and Hades were conversing, maybe she was one of them..Jazz might know....And yeah that Andress broad was nice in the original..

bitty41

4/10/2010  2:46 PM
Childs2Dudley wrote:I'm disappointed that another Greek "epic" is getting bad reviews. First Alexander, now this. I thought Troy was good but I really need to see a truly great Greek mythology/history movie. Hopefully one will come down the road.

[IMG_block] http://www.bloggang.com/data/caramellatte/picture/1196322641.jpg [/IMG_block]

[IMG_block] http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/squarehippies/brad_pitt/brad_pitt1.jpg [/IMG_block]

Nuff said

bitty41

4/10/2010  2:47 PM
TMS wrote:

Troy was good except for the excess displays of Brad Pitt with no clothes on... we really don't need to see him naked every 2 seconds to know he's in shape... i'm sure the women & gay viewers had no problem with it but i would have liked to see more naked Greek & Trojan women to balance out the gayness.

Hahahahaha

TMS
USA
4/11/2010  7:39 PM
just caught Hot Tub Time Machine... better than expected, i enjoyed it... not as hilarious as The Hangover but it had its moments... funny thing is i still listen to most of the songs from the 80s that were featured in this flick.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
4/17/2010  1:43 AM
Saw Kick Ass tonight.

Definitely exceeded expectations. I had never read the comic, so I only had the previews to go by. Much more hardcore than expected, and pretty hilarious on top of it.

Nicholas Cage actually does a great job as Big Daddy...leaves me wondering why he couldn't have been as bad ass in Ghost Rider...

8/10

jazz74
5/2/2010  10:15 PM
kick-ass- this was a very entertaining movie to say the least. i like the concept of having a superhero in a real world and the consequences of such an action. the characters are great, but hit-girl and big daddy takes their performances to another level. hit girl's intro was on the same level as blade's in his first movie as she slices and dices, literally. the best sequence was the "rescue" scene done with night goggles. there were some corny moments, but the great moments overshadow them. recommended but be warned: it is violent and there are offensive language in this movie that will surprise.

nightmare on elm street- well, let me start off by saying i am huge freddy fan so news of a remake was very mixed for me. i saw some remakes done well as or even better than the original ( my bloody valentine and texas chainsaw massacre) but many were done worst ( friday the 13th and halloween). this one was in the middle. it wasnt exceptional but not the worse. the big difference besides freddy himself is the origin that they tweaked big time. it helped with a little side mystery but it doesnt justify freddy's blood lust like the original. the sfx was good with some decent dream sequences but some were borrowed from the other films and besides a few sequences it was not suspenseful or imaginative at all. recommended for rent only.

NYKBocker
USA
5/3/2010  7:13 PM
Just saw "Clash of the Titans". I am a little disappointed just like everybody else. Worthington's performance in Terminator Salvation and Avatar is much better than in the Titans. A lot of performances seems like they are just channeling from characters they played before. I am waiting for Hades to call out "Potter" and Worthington combined the 1 characters from TS and Avatar.

I did like the inclusion of Io but I totally disliked what they did with Calabos. Calabos was much creepier in the original.

The next remake I want them to make is "Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger". All those creatures/monsters would translate well with today's cgi.

TMS
USA
5/4/2010  3:31 AM
word, i was really let down by the Clash of the Titans remake... they could have done so much more with it... hated how they transformed Medusa into such a fake looking CGI... the claymation original Medusa was a lot scarier looking.

the Kraken was cooler looking in the remake but did not like at all how they made Perseus into a spoiled brat ingrate in this flick... Ammon was replaced by Io in this one, who i liked, but overall i wasn't feeling this movie at all... the whole feeling of adventure & mythological fantasy was gone in this one.

NYKBocker
USA
5/4/2010  10:43 AM
They omitted the 2 headed dog that was guarding Medusa. You would think they would keep that since it would have been a great cgi scene.

The little cameo the mechanical owl (Bubo) pissed me off. They show him in a box then they put him back in. Slap in the face.

Hell yeah on Medusa being a lot scarrier.
[IMG_block] http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/1a/Medusa-ClashofTitans.jpg/220px-Medusa-ClashofTitans.jpg [/IMG_block]
[IMG_block] http://moviecultists.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/clash-of-the-titans-medusa-face.jpg [/IMG_block]

Another gripe I have is that we only saw the baddest monster in the movie for all of 5 minutes. They could have done it the same as the original where it destroys Argos first then have Perseus save Joppa then we would have seen the Kraken 2 times and actually see his power in destroying at least 1 city.

I did like the characters that accompanied Perseus this time around in hunting for Medusa.

Latest movies saw

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy