[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Latest movies saw
Author Thread
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1126
USA
12/20/2008  5:40 PM
Apparently, The Day The Earth Stood Still (2008) totally sucks!

Just as I thought. I'll wait until it comes out on video and go damage my brain later. Klaatu had character man!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/day_the_earth_stood_still/

[Edited by - 4949 on 12-20-2008 5:41 PM]
I'll never trust this' team again.
AUTOADVERT
Knicksfansince94
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2261

12/21/2008  9:39 PM
Watching Starship Troopers RIGHT NOW. First time since high school, man. What a trip it is. Denise Richards is too freakin' smoking.
my first signiature
USA
12/22/2008  11:01 PM
Posted by Knicksfansince94:

Watching Starship Troopers RIGHT NOW. First time since high school, man. What a trip it is. Denise Richards is too freakin' smoking.

Ultimate yuppie action hero type movie. The Special F/X are phenomenal! Wait until you see the second movie. It actually has a much better story. I was surprised. I found out that there was a third movie made. It's on the list and just a matter of time. I've become a fan of this series. Knicksfan, did you know there are cartoonish movies also?

I have well over 300 films (including television series) lined up on my Netflix Q.
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
12/23/2008  7:35 PM
Posted by 4949:

Just as I thought. I'll wait until it comes out on video and go damage my brain later. Klaatu had character man!

Its unfortunate because not only the first one was such a sci-fi classic, but the premise is great and had the potential to be an unforgettable film. One that you can take its message and make you see things a lil different.

But thats all cinema has to offer this days: lots of potential but no substance. You keep wondering why today they can't make as good movies as they made many years ago. Too much focus on special effects and action sequences than the plot and the characters.

The best movie recently done to have all in line was Pan's Labyrinth. It had amazing special effects that more than impress, helped the movie reach where they wanted to take it. It had an original and beautiful but dark story with characters well developed. Most films made today don't have that.

It seems like we are in an era of trailers. Haven't you thought recently that the trailer of a certain film is far superior to the actual film? So happens with The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Knicks_Fan
USA
12/25/2008  11:08 AM
Posted by Knicksfan:
Posted by 4949:

Its unfortunate because not only the first one was such a sci-fi classic, but the premise is great and had the potential to be an unforgettable film. One that you can take its message and make you see things a lil different.

But thats all cinema has to offer this days: lots of potential but no substance. You keep wondering why today they can't make as good movies as they made many years ago. Too much focus on special effects and action sequences than the plot and the characters.

The best movie recently done to have all in line was Pan's Labyrinth. It had amazing special effects that more than impress, helped the movie reach where they wanted to take it. It had an original and beautiful but dark story with characters well developed. Most films made today don't have that.

It seems like we are in an era of trailers. Haven't you thought recently that the trailer of a certain film is far superior to the actual film? So happens with The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Auh yes, you bring up some interesting points that I like to talk about. The trailer in most movies today are like the posters for the old B movies. Great first impression, but no substance after that. Although, I appreciate a lot of the B's, exploitation, Grindhouse films I got to see on the silver when I was younger. And I don't want to totally trash the film industry of today, because there is a lot of good film out there.

If any of you notice the phrase of today 'kids playing vidoe games nowadays' is not just a phrase. It translates into a lack of creativity and a lot of these filmmakers of today, who have come out of the beginning of the video game eras, I believe it has contributed to the lack of creativity in film making, especially writing. But there was a lack of writing for film in years past also. But for other reasons. And I don't want to dismantle the video industry either, but your right about the lack of creativity. Roger Ebert tried to make this point on several occasions. Even pushing the envelope on old S-F/X vs. todays S-F/X, saying that you used to have to use your imagination vs. not' using it as much today.

It's all an interesting subject and comparisons can be made to the influences and lack of when someone make a film and whether it will make it or not. In the case of Sci-Fi's there is definatly a stark contrast as to what they are putting out there. At this point, i'd say that I enjoy about one out of every ten films on the subject that they put out there. Speaking of:

I can't wait for 'Knowing' to come out. That looks much better then 'The Day The Earth Stood Still' put out there. From the trailer, it looks like a potentially good story.

I also very much enjoyed 'The Happening', because it was the story that was interesting and how the actors portrayed the characters. Nothing big like 'senselessly destroying NYC once again'. It was a good example of having to use your imagination. And I like that.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
12/26/2008  5:43 AM
just went to see Gran Torino w/Clint Eastwood & he was awesome... the rest of the actors were crap but he made the film worth watching... definitely recommend u go see it... it's like Dirty Harry meets Boyz In Da Hood... i think he'll get an Oscar nomination for this movie for best actor.

[Edited by - TMS on 12-26-2008 02:52 AM]
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
USA
12/26/2008  5:37 PM
Posted by TMS:

just went to see Gran Torino w/Clint Eastwood & he was awesome... the rest of the actors were crap but he made the film worth watching... definitely recommend u go see it... it's like Dirty Harry meets Boyz In Da Hood... i think he'll get an Oscar nomination for this movie for best actor.

[Edited by - TMS on 12-26-2008 02:52 AM]

I was listening to an NPR interview with him. It sounded like a good film, and man' this guy just never goes away. He probably will' win another one.
TMS
USA
12/28/2008  5:48 AM
Just saw "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" tonight.

A really inventive adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's short story. It had a lot of elements that reminded me of "Forrest Gump", but this movie had a very somber undertone throughout (you'll see what I'm talking about once you see it). Cool visual effects to show the effects of aging in all the characters. Very long movie too, so be prepared for it. Definitely worth the price of admission but it wasn't as great as I thought it would be. Taraji Henson was great in this movie as his mom (she played Shug, Terrence Howard's main squeeze ho in "Hustle & Flow"). She'll probably get nominations for best supporting actress.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
USA
12/28/2008  10:23 AM
This is one movie MIchael Vick needs to watch. 'Marley & Me'. Great tear jerker for all you dog lovers!
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
12/31/2008  2:57 PM
got blu ray and my own netflix account so more movies will be rolling in.

p2: let me start off by saying this- rachel nichols is hot as hell! did not know anything about her until this movie. the movie itself? well, it is not the worse of its kind but very forgettable. not a must see movie for the horror fans. the violence can be graphic in some parts which was suprising but not great. some parts had the protagonists doing dumb things, not as dumb as funny games though. however, it is worth seeing nichols running around in that dress.

golden compass: no offense to those that are fans of the anthology but this is undoubtedly one of the worse recent adaptions of anthologies. it wasn't confusing which was good but it was dull. the special effects were average and i could not believe it won an award for it. the acting wasn't great, particularly the little girl. i expected more and got pretty much nothing. checked my time a lot during this movie.

wanted: heard it was good and it did not disappoint. good movie with a LOT of action. is the story great and character development great? no and that is why it is not as good as the other comic book movies this summer, but still holds its own. probably the best action sequence this year with the scene on the train. gave my surround sound a run for its money.

across the universe: not a musical guy but i had nothing to watch one afternoon and decided to watch this on my hd receiver and the picture looked beautiful. unbelievable. the movie itself was entertaining from a guy who hates musicals. the effects and setting was excellent and i actually cared for the characters. good movie.
USA
12/31/2008  7:29 PM
They don't make musicals like they used to. Thanks for the information.
mattshaw78
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #915
1/2/2009  7:30 AM
I saw Marley and Me with my girlfriend. It was a good movie and alot of people can relate if they are dog owners. I read the book and was curious on the movie. Like all movies based on the book, there was parts cut off. But nevertheless it was a good movie overall.
BlueSeats "I like anyone who can make Lebron cry. Melo seems to do it a lot."
TMS
USA
1/3/2009  10:08 PM
Movies I plan to watch in 2009:

* note - You will not see any gay sappy titles here like "The Notebook" that either you go to see if you're a pseudo-homosexual or because your wife or gf forced you to take them to go see, nor will you see some obscure, low budget foreign cultural film no one's ever heard about. Oh-ho-ooo no my friend. This is strictly ass kickin' guy flicks for ass kickin' dudes. Shaddap, you're gonna see it & like it, woman! Your king has spoken.

& now, without further ado...

Notorious (opens 1/16) - B.I.G.! What else needs to be said?

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans (opens 1/23) - What?!?! No Kate Beckinsale? Blasphemy!!! Still looks pretty good but I have a feeling this movie's gonna disappoint me.

Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li (opens 2/27) - Lana Lang as Chun Li... This one looks like such a severe buzz killer, I almost gotta see it just to see how bad it actually is. Maybe it'll surprise me (doubt it).

Watchmen (opens 3/6) - Looks pretty damn awesome.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (opens 5/1) - This one's a no brainer.

Star Trek (opens 5/8) - Sylar as Mr. Spock & John "Harold" Cho as Mr. Sulu? I gotta see this.

jazz74
1/4/2009  10:24 AM
good list. suprisingly there aren't that many films i am dying to watch like the last 2 years. this will prove to be a weak year for hollywood, imo. i would also include transformers 2 and the denzel washington/ john travolta heist movie, though i know they don't have trailers yet. well i saw some more movies and here they go:

bolt- went to see this with my son and ex-wife. first, i went to see this with the new disney 3d technology and it was great. the good thing about it was that i had no headaches during or after like the old 3-d movies used to do. with the combination with the surround sound, it felt really immersive. can't wait to see some horror movies presented in this technology ( like my bloody valentine, final destination 4 and pirhanna all being presented in 3d this year). well, let's talk about the movie. the movie was good, not great. that is what happen when it gets release on the same year as wall-e which took animation to a new level. it is the generic formula, like the typical lost dog finding his way home. the animation was great and the characters were above average but again formalic.

traitor- this movie was a suprise. it looked like it was going to be a "bourne identity" rip off. then it starts off with a twist that continues throughout the movie. cheadle is awesome and i can't wait until he is war machine next summer. the other characters, particularly guy pierce as the introperspective agent, were very well executed. the message in the movie was also different, similar to kingdom or the seige except it explores through the perspective of a devout muslim who takes his faith very seriously. i recommend this movie.
jazz74
1/4/2009  10:40 AM
2008 was a good year for movies. here are my top ten for now ( i still have some movies that i have yet to see so bear with me):

1.) The Dark Knight
2.) Wall-E
3.) Incredible Hulk
4.) Iron Man
5.) Tropic Thunder
6.) Harold and Kumar 2
7.) Hellboy 2
8.) Forbidden Kingdom
9.) Be Kind Rewind
10.)Strange Wilderness ( guilty pleasure movie, I admit)

Worst movies

1.) 88 Minutes
2.) Semi-Pro
3.) Funny Games
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
1/4/2009  11:03 AM
the spirit was GARBAGE.

the wrestler was pretty good.
USA
1/4/2009  7:35 PM
TMS, sign me up to that ass kicking club. It's gonna be 'X-Men', 'Knowing', 'Up' for me this year. I was disappointed to see that the original two main cast members weren't in the new 'Underworld' movie. I really liked the first two and will wait a long time before I see the video of the new one. Kate Beckinsale can bite me anytime she wants.
USA
1/4/2009  7:35 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

the spirit was GARBAGE.

the wrestler was pretty good.

It kind of looked like garbage. I'll wait for the video. Thanks.
TMS
USA
1/4/2009  7:42 PM
Posted by 4949:

TMS, sign me up to that ass kicking club. It's gonna be 'X-Men', 'Knowing', 'Up' for me this year. I was disappointed to see that the original two main cast members weren't in the new 'Underworld' movie. I really liked the first two and will wait a long time before I see the video of the new one. Kate Beckinsale can bite me anytime she wants.

yeah, this Underworld is gonna focus on how Lucian hooked up w/Viktor's daughter Sonya & then got the Lycans to rebel against the Vampires... i just hope they don't butcher this one cuz i really liked the first 2.
USA
1/4/2009  7:59 PM
And I thought the hybrid in the second movie was supposed to be king over the vamps and the lycs, or something like that in the future film(s). Oh well, let me know how it goes. Thanks.
Latest movies saw

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy