[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Our "Big 3"...
Author Thread
fmoran
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #375
Canada
1/29/2003  2:59 PM
We've won five out of six, and the Knicks are back in the East. With their last win, KT, Spree, and Houston totaled 63 points. This got me wondering about the Knicks' Big 3 and I punched up some numbers. Here's what I got:

When the Big 3 score more than 50 points, the Knicks are 11-7 this year, including 3-0 when scoring at least 70. These wins come by an average of 8.9 ppg. Compare that to when the Big 3 is held under 50 points: they're 7-10, and their losses come by an average of 10.6 ppg.

What does this all mean? When our Big 3 is on its game, we're pretty tough to beat. When they're not, we get rolled over. I think people are underestimating KT's value to this sqaud. He has the most reasonable contract out of the Knicks, considering what he brings to the table, and against bigger opponents at that. I can only imagine the improved numbers he'd bring if we could land a starting center and drop him down to his natural role. He's a big factor in our games now, and will only add to our depth when Dice comes back.

I'm really impressed with how well these 3 are playing. Chemistry is a hard thing to develop in this league, and we seem to have it. We're the only team below .500 with a winning record against the West, and if we can start winning the winnable games against the East, we should be able to sneak in. Don't be surprised if the Knicks are in the playoffs come All-Star break.

[Edited by - fmoran on 01/29/2003 16:38:58]
go knicks!
AUTOADVERT
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
1/29/2003  4:15 PM
but would'nt that apply to most teams? heck, if cleveland had davis, miles and wagner avg. 70 pts. they would have a much better record than now. the point is occasionally they will have great nights together but expect the opposite. the only team i could see that three of their best players are playing consistently is dallas.
fmoran
Canada
1/29/2003  5:10 PM
Posted by jazz74:

but would'nt that apply to most teams? heck, if cleveland had davis, miles and wagner avg. 70 pts. they would have a much better record than now.
I think if any 3 players avg. 70 pts, that team would be championship caliber. That's like giving LA a Paul Pierce. Dallas's Big 3 averages 60 ppg, and they already have the best record in the league.

But what I'm hinting at is that NY may finally have that third scorer. They've proven they can have great games together, and that any one of them can score 20 on any given night. That shows chemistry. Look at Atlanta's best three scorers. They average together about 58 ppg, but they haven't shown any signs of playing well together. With the Knicks, they have clearly identified their 3 scoring threats, and when they play well together (because they doplay well together), the Knicks are a successful squad.

You talk about consistency, but averages say less about a trio then games. When Spree, Houston, and Thomas play well, we are hard to beat. And how many teams right now would kill for that third scorer? I can think of LA, Boston, Washignton, and Philly. Look at how the addition of a third scoring threat has helped teams like Phoenix (Amare), Houston (Yao), and Sacramento (Bibby).

It's a great step, to see Spree and Houston not only playing well together, but playing well with a third scorer. This not only bodes well for the anticipated return of Dice, but could put KT in the reserve role that Van Exel and Jackson play for their championship caliber teams.
go knicks!
Knicksfan1971
Member: #98
1/29/2003  6:55 PM
Posted by fmoran:
Posted by jazz74:

but would'nt that apply to most teams? heck, if cleveland had davis, miles and wagner avg. 70 pts. they would have a much better record than now.
I think if any 3 players avg. 70 pts, that team would be championship caliber. That's like giving LA a Paul Pierce. Dallas's Big 3 averages 60 ppg, and they already have the best record in the league.

But what I'm hinting at is that NY may finally have that third scorer. They've proven they can have great games together, and that any one of them can score 20 on any given night. That shows chemistry. Look at Atlanta's best three scorers. They average together about 58 ppg, but they haven't shown any signs of playing well together. With the Knicks, they have clearly identified their 3 scoring threats, and when they play well together (because they doplay well together), the Knicks are a successful squad.

You talk about consistency, but averages say less about a trio then games. When Spree, Houston, and Thomas play well, we are hard to beat. And how many teams right now would kill for that third scorer? I can think of LA, Boston, Washignton, and Philly. Look at how the addition of a third scoring threat has helped teams like Phoenix (Amare), Houston (Yao), and Sacramento (Bibby).

It's a great step, to see Spree and Houston not only playing well together, but playing well with a third scorer. This not only bodes well for the anticipated return of Dice, but could put KT in the reserve role that Van Exel and Jackson play for their championship caliber teams.

Keep Kidding yourself Knickheart,this team isnt going anywhere as
constructed.We win a few games against lower echelon teams and all
of a sudden we are contendersComparing our 3 leading scorers to the
the Kings,Mavs,Rockets is a joke.Please.But I forget,we get Dice back
next year,all we have to do is hope he doesnt blow out his knee for
the 4th time in 3 years.Just click your heals 3 times and say "theres
no place like home,theres no place like home."
fmoran
Canada
1/29/2003  8:09 PM
Posted by Knicksfan1971:

Keep Kidding yourself Knickheart,this team isnt going anywhere as
constructed.We win a few games against lower echelon teams and all
of a sudden we are contendersComparing our 3 leading scorers to the
the Kings,Mavs,Rockets is a joke.Please.But I forget,we get Dice back
next year,all we have to do is hope he doesnt blow out his knee for
the 4th time in 3 years.Just click your heals 3 times and say "theres
no place like home,theres no place like home."
Phew, for a while there I thought you'd stop replying to my posts with anything more than "Knickheart". But c'mon, this reply was lame.

I never called the Knicks contenders. I said something along the lines of "we should be able to sneak in [the playoffs]" And I wasn't comparing our players to those from Sac, Dallas, and Houston (who we crushed 99-83, fyi), but more the chemistry they show and where it's getting them.

But you know, you're probably right. What's the point of trying to draw any POSITIVES from this team of LOSERS? What's the use in showing a little KNICKHEART? Let's just all celebrate every loss en route to a 20% chance at some 17 year old QUICK FIX, and get rid of any TALENT on this team for even more chances at him. And hey, if we don't get him, let's LATHER, RINSE, AND REPEAT until someone like him comes along. Then let's throw the coach to the wolves, crucify the GM, and chase these players out of town, so they can GIVE THEIR ALL to some other unlucky organization, and give Knickfan1971 back a team that, in 10-15 years, will have rebuilt suffeciantly to contend for a title.[/sarcasm]

On behalf of the Knicks, I want to make something clear to ya:

THE SEVENTIES ARE OVER. SO ARE THE EIGHTIES AND NINETIES. NO WALT, NO WILL, NO PAT. GET OVER IT.

Stop kidding yourself, and get off the wagon. Me, I'll go click my heels, and cheer on my Knicks, both past and present.
go knicks!
knixphan
Member: #258
Switzerland
1/29/2003  8:17 PM
...Ha! So I take it you're a 'glass-half-full' type of guy...

"I will dress in bright and cheery colors, and so throw my enemies into confusion."
Knicksfan1971
Member: #98
1/29/2003  9:44 PM
Well since you arent denying who you are princess,Ill take it as a yes.Funny how you have followed me to another forum and changed your name...again.

Whats also funny is how you change your story whenever you get busted.
You say that we dont need a superstar,a healthy one to,but when I challenge you to find one team in at least 25 years that have done it without one your answer "what is a superstar?" its like bill clinton asking the definition of what "is" is.If you dont know what a superstar is than you are watching the wrong sport.Then you go on about them becoming superstars after they won.Bull****.magic,maybe but he was playing along side kareem for most of the playoffs.

Then you throw out numbers about the averages of "big three" but when Jazz74 busts you about cleveland your answer is "You talk about consistency, but averages say less about a trio then games. When Spree, Houston, and Thomas play well, we are hard to beat."You throw
out these facts but when you are challenged, you wimp out.

Nothing would please me more than to draw positives out of this team.
You seem to think that a "peter pan"attitude about the Knicks will somehow make it all better.It wont.You talk about pinning hopes on a 17 year old,I want to pin my hopes on players whoose best days arent behind them.

For you to be telling me about the seventies knickheart is a joke since you cant get out of riley era.All you talked about at knicks4life was building a clone of the riley Knicks and your
non-stop mental-masturbation about tom thibadeau because he was just like riley and JVG.Im over the seventies,produce one post where I have advocated going back to that time.You on the other hand are stuck
in the past with broken down veterans while I am advocating a youth
movement.Who is living in the past?I know it isnt me.And what is this
10-15 years rebuilding BS?I have advocated rebuilding while we get under the cap,nothing else.

Its really sad knickheart,from your first post as fmoron you were
quoting me and giving me a hard time,even when I tried to let this topic rest because I knew where it was going,you tried in two posts
to suck me back in again.If you had used one of your names from
knicks4life I wouldnt of had a problem but like a total bitch you keep
changing your name every time you lose an argument and try to start up with me again.Its so pathetic.None of the other posters from Knicks4life do it.just you and if they have changed their name they say so.

Be a man and stop hiding behind different screen names,you said at knicks4life that you wouldnt do that anymore but lo and behold
you are up to your old juvennile tricks.

fmoran
Canada
1/30/2003  1:12 AM
Wow, I have to say that's the last response I expected. But ya know, I'm not here for some childish internet forum fighting, just some fun discussion with some fellow Knicks fans. So I'll put this as honestly as I can:

I have no idea what you are talking about.

For the record, fmoran is my name (F. Moran). I have no idea who "Knickheart" is. When you called me that, I thought that was just some slang on this forum for someone who sticks by the Knicks even though they suck. Obviously it wasn't. You should learn not to assume, cause it makes an "ass" out of "u" and "me". So I am just gonna try to ignore any references you made down there to her (him?) and blame miscommunication.

You did bring up some points, so I'll address those. But try and understand, I was not picking your posts out of the crowd. I was just trying to break the ice on this forum by speaking my opinion on the Knicks. You brought up something to the extent of "playoffs were pointless", and I disagreed. It was friendly discussion. I was not "out to get you". But when you say stuff like "keep kidding yourself" and "go click heels" without even so much as a sincere explanation, it gets me motivated to reply the way I did.

Anyways (geez this is getting lengthy), if you disagreed so vividly about what makes a superstar, you should have replied. When I said we don't need a superstar, I meant we don't need the kind of superstar you were thinking of, like T-Mac/Iverson that is only great individually (sure it'd be nice, but really unatainable right now). We need a player who can fit into a system and provide chemistry. And really, isn't winning what defines a star? I thought Dice was the ticket, and I still do, to be honest with ya. If you don't, explain why. I'm all ears.

Now I didn't think this topic was too bad for my first, but everyone has critics. The only averages I threw out were win/loss deferentials (how much we won/lost by). The main stat was the wins and losses that I thought reflected on the team's improving chemistry. I never claimed it was consistent. If it was, we'd have a whole other team in the standings. I don't see how jazz74 "busted" me, when the Cavs are a perfect example of a team with talent but lacking chemistry. The fact that Spree, Houston, and KT can score 70 points in one game is a huge step up from last year and shows me that this team is getting more and more comfortable playing with one another. I think the emergence of our definitive third scorer is impressive in itself, but the fact that our 3 best players show chemistry only means we'll begin to see numbers like this more frequently.

Now, even if most of this was probably directed at "Knickheart", I have to ask: who needs the attitude adjustment? You look at this team as hopeless, when we don't even have arguably our best player. Take 20 and 10 off any other team and I'd like to see them compete as hard as the Knicks. And who's pinning hopes on players with their best days behind them? Dice is still young, Spree was injured, and Houston and Thomas are posting career numbers. Don't just list what Houston can't do for the money we pay him, look at what he can: free throws, big points, one of the sweetest shots in the game from pretty much anywhere. He's our Peja. And Kurt's been great for us. Is it any wonder so many teams are interested in him? And good teams, too, like the Mavs. He's just another piece of the puzzle. Don't write him off when he's playing out of position. That's all I'm asking: give this team a legitimate chance when they are all healthy.

Instead you've have given up on them entirely, individually and as a group, and think riding out contracts, blowing up the team, freeing cap room, and signing one "superstar" will change everything. Yes, we could use some cap breathing room, but why blow up the team when have talent on this roster. Do you know how long rebuilding takes? Too long, if you ask me. I'm not trying to say we should forget about the Draft; far from it. It'll be key for us for years to come. I'm just against total rebuilding at this point. Sometimes you need to play the hand you were dealt.

The only reason I brought up the last 3 decades of Knick history was because you seem fixated on a superstar saviour (like a Ewing). That's all I'm gonna say on that...

Ok, yeah, well that's it. I don't take things too personally, so you can count on me to forgive and forget some of this nasty stuff. And don't take my aggressive way of hammering down my opinions negatively: I don't mean anything personal by it. It's just how I am.
go knicks!
knixphan
Member: #258
Switzerland
1/30/2003  2:28 AM
"Sometimes you need to play the hand you were dealt."

That's a true statement, in basketball as well as life in general...

"I will dress in bright and cheery colors, and so throw my enemies into confusion."
Our "Big 3"...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy