[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Thomas not an All-star :: What does ESPN Insider say who the REAL All-Stars are?
Author Thread
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
1/28/2003  1:02 PM
thomas not tabbed.
AUTOADVERT
LJ2
Member: #239
USA
1/28/2003  1:38 PM
brad miller over KT...ridiculous
falcindor
Member: #42
USA
1/28/2003  1:55 PM
They are right. Thomas plays for a non-playoff team. Brad has even numbers with Kurt but he plays on the best team in the east. But Kurt is only 6'9" and plays against bigger players which also should help his case.
Fritz Alcindor Jr. *FUTURE KNICK GM* falcindor@hotmail.com
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/28/2003  1:57 PM
This is what Chad had to say:

Divining the all-stars

The fans have spoken. The media have spoken and spoken. And sometime today, the coaches will speak as well.

The all-star selection process is one of the great unsolved mysteries left in the universe. There is no rhyme or reason. No pattern. No logic. Might as well sacrifice small animals, throw their innards on the ground and let a shaman or two divine the stars.

The fans would vote in Charles Barkley and Larry Bird if they could. They've played about as much as Vince Carter has this season. LeBron James would also be a shoo-in. So would Rafer Alston. The fans want to see the stars, the flash and the dunks. Period. There's nothing wrong with that.

The media love to rail on the fans for getting it wrong. Of course, they too, rarely get it right. They're great at hyping their buddies or making selections that bolster their preseason predictions. It gets them better access in the locker room, maybe an exclusive interview or two, and nice dinner for two with the SFX agent of their choice and a chance to say, "I told you so." (Aside: Bad Journalism 101 -- Tell the reader that you hate to say, "I told you so," and then proceed to do it on a weekly basis while conveniently leaving out everything you got wrong.)

The coaches have the best chance of getting things right. They do more than peruse box scores or breath heavily over the latest flavor of the month. They're less likely to be swayed by a good player putting up great stats on a horrible team. And they're more likely to give a guy who busts his butt every night (read Ron Artest) over an all-flash, no-substance scorer (read Antawn Jamison). They also have grudges. That's why you'll never see Rasheed Wallace or Latrell Sprewell get any love this time of year. Again, nothing wrong with that.

Of course, here's the part where I tell you to ignore all of that and listen to me. I don't, however, have all of the answers. My all-star ballot doesn't make much sense either. Is it OK to vote in a guy like Ricky Davis, whose team is terrible? I have no idea. What about a guy like Brad Miller? His numbers don't jump out at you, but he's a key player on the best team in the Eastern Conference. The Pacers would be lost without him.

Company policy forbids me from mutilating squirrels, so I went for the next best thing. I called up five successful GMs and asked for their perspective. I respect the GMs' opinions for a couple of reasons. One, they see the whole picture. Skill, work ethic, bang for the buck, marketability and character all play into it for them. Second, they see the whole league. GMs are constantly scouting other players, looking for a good fit, or that guy who will put them over the top. It's not an exact science. But to these five guys, all of whom wished to remain anonymous, it's as close to science as any of this gets.

While no one agreed on everything, here's a rough consensus of who should be flying first class to Atlanta in February.

Eastern Conference Starters

G- Jason Kidd (New Jersey)
G- Tracy McGrady (Orlando)
F- Ron Artest (Indiana)
F- Jermaine O'Neal (Indiana)
C- Ben Wallace (Detroit)

Comments: All five GMs agreed that Kidd, McGrady and Wallace were the best at their positions in the East. O'Neal garnered four votes, but the big surprise was Artest, who squeaked in with three. Said one GM, "He may be the only guy in the league that you can put on just about anyone and he'll go out there and shut them down. Ask any coach or GM if they wouldn't love to have a guy like that. He may be a little crazy, but that just adds to the mystique." It's no surprise that four of these players come from the three best teams in the East.

Eastern Conference Bench

G - Paul Pierce (Boston)
G - Ray Allen (Milwaukee)
G - Allen Iverson (Philadelphia)
F - Michael Jordan (Washington)
F - Antoine Walker (Boston)
F - Jamal Mashburn (New Orleans)
C - Brad Miller (Indiana)

Comments: A few interesting snubs here. No one was willing to give any love to Cleveland's two big scorers, Ricky Davis and Zydrunas Ilgauskas. They both went 0-5 among the GMs I talked to. Jerry Stackhouse also got the snub because of a direct comparison to Jordan. "Forget about the stat sheet, Jordan's the most valuable player on that team. The Wizards without Jordan would be counting pingpong balls. The Wizards without Stackhouse wouldn't be that far off the mark." Jalen Rose and Richard Hamilton also couldn't get much love. "Their both good scorers, but they don't do as much as the other guys do in the other categories. Anymore, versatility is the name of the game." Shareef Abdur-Rahim also had trouble getting any support. "He's a good, young talent," one GM said, "but I've lost faith. He should be carrying the Hawks right now. Instead, he's the first one heading for the lifeboats."

Western Conference Starters

G- Kobe Bryant (L.A. Lakers)
G- Gary Payton (Seattle)
F- Kevin Garnett (Minnesota)
F- Tim Duncan (San Antonio)
C- Shaquille O'Neal (Los Angeles Lakers)

Comments: Shaq, Kobe, and Duncan were all unanimous selections. Garnett edged out Nowitzki, 3-2. Payton edged out Francis 4-1. Interestingly, the Western Conference vote broke ranks with the Eastern Conference pattern. Three starters play on teams that don't have winning records. What gives? "Shaq and Kobe are still the two most dominant players in the NBA. Their supporting cast is the problem." The KG-Nowitzki debate is an interesting one. Personally, I'd take Nowitzki because of his ability to play on the perimeter, but most of the GMs I polled felt that Garnett's athleticism, ferocity and durability set him apart. The Payton-Francis debate was more lackluster. "Franics' game has improved this season," one GM said. "But he still needs to work on getting his teammates involved. If he can do that, he'll be the best point guard in the league in a couple of years."

Western Conference Bench

G- Steve Francis (Houston)
G- Steve Nash (Dallas)
F- Shawn Marion (Phoenix)
F - Dirk Nowitzki (Dallas)
F - Chris Webber (Sacramento)
F- Karl Malone (Utah)
C - Yao Ming (Houston)

Comments: Again, GMs definitely went the winning route with their bench. No one playing on a team with a losing record snuck onto the bench. Among the more interesting snubs? The Kings, largely considered the best team in the NBA, get just one player in C-Webb? Why? "If Mike Bibby had been healthy all season, he'd be in for sure. But his injury allows us to fudge a little." Stephon Marbury also was left off the list. "He's having a great year, but I think he's still a step behind Francis, Payton, Nash and Bibby as far as a playmaker goes. It seems to be that Marion is the glue on that team. He's got a more unique set of skills." And while we're mourning the guys left off the roster, why no love for Antawn Jamison and Michael Finley? "Give us another two guys and they'd be on the list," one GM said.

Spoken like a true shaman.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
1/28/2003  2:42 PM
Posted by LJ2:

I can't believe you guys KT is a good baller but he is no All Star. Lets not be fans to the extereme. Miller's team has the best record in the east and he has similar numbers to KT. Miller on the other hand is a true center and KT isn't if it comes to that you take the true center.
Caseloads
1/28/2003  6:06 PM
Posted by Vmart:
Posted by LJ2:

I can't believe you guys KT is a good baller but he is no All Star. Lets not be fans to the extereme. Miller's team has the best record in the east and he has similar numbers to KT. Miller on the other hand is a true center and KT isn't if it comes to that you take the true center.
Imagine if KT was an all-star - it'd be a disgrace to the meaning of "star" - no one cares about KT outside of NY, as a player... except maybe dallas who has no inside guys. Yeah, KT has been one of our better players this year, but that just tells you what type of talent we have on this squad. seriously. we have NO front court. Spree is a 6-5 SG playing SF. the coaches did the right thing...
Caseloads
1/28/2003  7:58 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/stein_marc/1500101.html
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

The East coaches got it right. Partially right, anyway.

Not sure why they felt the need to pick two backup centers in a conference dominated by a 6-8 power forward who masquerades as a center ...

LJ2
Member: #239
USA
1/29/2003  12:14 AM
[/quote]
Imagine if KT was an all-star - it'd be a disgrace to the meaning of "star" - no one cares about KT outside of NY, as a player... except maybe dallas who has no inside guys. Yeah, KT has been one of our better players this year, but that just tells you what type of talent we have on this squad. seriously. we have NO front court. Spree is a 6-5 SG playing SF. the coaches did the right thing...
[/quote]

I am sure when you hear star you think of brad miller. The east is weak, so u are gonna have some of the lesser names representing. Maybe the coaches did get it right. Miller's posted similar numbers to KT's, but he's on a winning team. I dont watch many pacers games, but I would think that O'neal, Artest, and Reggie, not Brad Miller, would be the ones deciding their games. KT, on the other hand, is NY's only inside presence, and he plays a major role in the decision of games. Tough call.
Vmart
USA
1/29/2003  10:58 AM
Posted by LJ2:
[/quote]

I am sure when you hear star you think of brad miller. The east is weak, so u are gonna have some of the lesser names representing. Maybe the coaches did get it right. Miller's posted similar numbers to KT's, but he's on a winning team. I dont watch many pacers games, but I would think that O'neal, Artest, and Reggie, not Brad Miller, would be the ones deciding their games. KT, on the other hand, is NY's only inside presence, and he plays a major role in the decision of games. Tough call.
[/quote]

Thats an accomplishment in itself that Miller is averaging similar numbers to KT on such a loaded team. KT is only doing what he is doing because he is the third option on the team and sometime he is the second option. You have to hand it to Miller for putting up similar numbers to Thomas when he may be the 4th option on his team.
falcindor
Member: #42
USA
1/29/2003  11:01 AM
Let me correct my reply.

I relooked at Brads number and they arent as nice as Kurts.

Its a shame that either one are even being considered. The east is so weak. A 13 point scorer made the all-star team and he doesnt even play great D.
Fritz Alcindor Jr. *FUTURE KNICK GM* falcindor@hotmail.com
Vmart
USA
1/29/2003  11:27 AM
Posted by falcindor:

Let me correct my reply.

I relooked at Brads number and they arent as nice as Kurts.

Its a shame that either one are even being considered. The east is so weak. A 13 point scorer made the all-star team and he doesnt even play great D.

I would have put magliore from the hornets there instead of KT and Miller.
Thomas not an All-star :: What does ESPN Insider say who the REAL All-Stars are?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy