martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/24/2003  12:02 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/s/midtermgrades/2003/atlantic.html

here's the comments for the knicks:

NEW YORK KNICKS

Ric Bucher: They're better with Latrell Sprewell than without. How good is that? Still not very. But put this on the parents (management), not the kids (players). For a New York team, they're worse than just bad -- they're irrelevant.
F

Fred Carter: Surprising team. They're a lot better than I thought they would be. If Antonio McDyess comes back, the Knicks may have a chance to make the playoffs.
B-

Dr. Jack Ramsay: Rolled and lost Dice, but they're starting to jell with Spree, Allan Houston and Kurt Thomas. They're $40 million over the cap and no place to go.
D

Marc Stein: This is a .500 team since its 1-8 start. So, as usual, the Knicks take that to mean they belong in the playoffs, which will probably mean a draft pick no higher than No. 7. Which means beleaguered New Yorkers might as well get used to the Allan Houston-Latrell Sprewell-Kurt Thomas core.
D+

Bill Walton: Overpriced role players playing in front of thousands of empty seats at the World's Most Famous Arena is the thankless payoff to loyal Knicks season-ticket holders.
D+

Grade Point Average: 1.3 D+
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
Knicksfan1971
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #98
1/24/2003  1:03 PM
"Marc Stein: This is a .500 team since its 1-8 start. So, as usual, the Knicks take that to mean they belong in the playoffs, which will probably mean a draft pick no higher than No. 7. Which means beleaguered New Yorkers might as well get used to the Allan Houston-Latrell Sprewell-Kurt Thomas core.
D+"

I wish I didnt have to get used to it.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/24/2003  1:20 PM
yea I read that too...very fair I thought.
I hate Layden, but I am willing to give him one more year. He has many options to make this team better and younger, more in this offseason than in others. The only thing he really had to work with last year was the pick, and bad luck aside I still think the Dice deal was a good one.
This offseason he has Milos, 2 draft picks, and two expiring contracts to work with in Ward and Knight. All he has to do is draft smart (not brilliant, just dont totally blow it) and sign Milos. That will go a long way in putting youth and atheletism on the roster. Say goodbye to Nailon, Pope, Ward, Knight and possibly Postel.

Hopefully Layden can trade to a team looking to dump salary and clear roster space.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/24/2003  2:23 PM
Posted by fishmike:

yea I read that too...very fair I thought.
I hate Layden, but I am willing to give him one more year. He has many options to make this team better and younger, more in this offseason than in others. The only thing he really had to work with last year was the pick, and bad luck aside I still think the Dice deal was a good one.
This offseason he has Milos, 2 draft picks, and two expiring contracts to work with in Ward and Knight. All he has to do is draft smart (not brilliant, just dont totally blow it) and sign Milos. That will go a long way in putting youth and atheletism on the roster. Say goodbye to Nailon, Pope, Ward, Knight and possibly Postel.

Hopefully Layden can trade to a team looking to dump salary and clear roster space.

Unfortunately, I think Knight is signed through next year. Ward is the only buyout, with Postel and Nailon expiriring.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/24/2003  5:17 PM
Knight is on for another year after this, so is Ward. Ward can be bought out for $2.5 mill or so (saving about $4 mill). Knight you can always trade to a team looking to dump salary and get under the cap. Some teams will make some flat out bad deals to stay under the luxury tax threshold.
Even though Vujanic hasnt played I would say last year's #2 was a good pick.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
espn rates each team

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy