[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Inside the Paint with Rookie Frank Williams
Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/17/2003  11:12 AM
I usually don't get to surf over to the nba.com site - mostly cause it really sucks - but there was a small Frank article:

"He's very solid, the hardest worker on the team," Knicks center Kurt Thomas says of rookie Frank Williams. "First to arrive at every practice, the last to go." Williams, in fact, had to be a scrapper his entire life, raised by his mom alone -- along with seven brothers and two sisters -- in an inner-city Peoria neighborhood. "That's a major family to grow up in," he says. "Especially WHERE we grew up."

"Actually, it wasn't bad at all," Williams smiles at the memory. "There was a lot of love. We kind of took care of each other. Everybody pitched in, the older kids kind of raising the younger ones. I was the third youngest brother so I had a whole lot of help." The entire crew played ball, too. "I'm not even the best player in my family," Williams says. "My youngest brother, who is a junior in high school right now, is going to be better."

That'll take some doing because Williams, in spite of his injury-induced slow start in the NBA, is a tremendous talent. "Remember, he broke his wrist in the third preseason game," Thomas says. "And he's not only a rookie coming into a new league, but a rookie POINT GUARD. That's the most 'thinking' position on the floor, so it's the toughest to learn. But you can tell how he's watching, absorbing, and getting better and better each practice. He's really getting there. The kid's going to be a good one."

"Frank's got it all: intelligence, court vision, quickness, good shoulders to hold you off with and make his move," forward Mark Pope adds. "And he's got that deceptive change of speed great point guards must have, where he just ambles along and then, suddenly, boom....he's right by you. In fact, I think everything is deceptive about Frank."

Such as his demure demeanor -- "Don't be fooled by that," center Travis Knight says. "Frank is as confident in his abilities as any player in the NBA." -- and shy smile. "I'm having the time of my life -- it's just fun to be around these guys," says Williams who admits to love the feeling of comfort. "I tend to be very much influenced by the people around me. And these last couple of months, I never laughed so much. I never imagined there would be this many comedians on the team. Kurt and Shandon (Anderson), especially.....those dudes are fu-u-u-u-n-n-n-ny."

As flashy a passer as he is on the floor, Williams is even quicker to pass credit. "I didn't think that I was that great a high school player, to be honest with you," he says. "But others thought so. I think it was the people I played with. I think it was my surroundings." In Williams' junior year his Peoria Manual team won the Illinois State title. Two of his teammates -- Sergio McClain and Marcus Griffin -- went on to play with him at the University of Illinois.

Where Williams became Big Ten Player of the Year after his sizzling sophomore season. And where, after a numbers-wise even better junior year, there were suddenly questions afloat about his intensity and focus.

"That was all bogus," he says with emphasis. "That stuff came from individuals who don't really know the game, who just wanted me to see me do a lot more scoring. But that's not what winning basketball is necessarily about."

Williams decided on becoming an early NBA Draft entry following that year. "It was just a feeling," he says. "I always said I'd leave with my class. I had four years of college (he red-shirted his first season). It was time to go." The right time -- and the right place, too. "Being picked by the Knicks, especially after I got sick and did not work out for them....well, it was like a dream. I'm telling you, it was crazy the way things worked out. I never played at the Garden before. And I always wanted to play here."

"You know what? Injury and all, even if I could I wouldn't change a thing right now," Williams says, soft brown eyes suddenly flashing. "Sure, the wrist has held me back, but just a little bit. But I'm learning a lot, especially with all the attention Coach Chaney and the staff gives me and by watching how Howard (Eisley) and Charlie (Ward) approach the game. How they don't force things. And how they let the game come to them and keep everybody involved."

"So don't get me wrong, I'd love to be playing. But, perhaps in the long run, it's all working out for the best. I know that when I get in there, I'll be really ready."

The quiet rookie's favorite NBA player is Gary Payton -- and not just because the defensively adept Williams had the same nickname, "The Glove", in college. "I love Gary because he talks so much trash while he's out on the floor. That's the way we played back at home. For me, it brings the fun of playing the game to a higher level." Frank's other nickname -- "Nitti" -- was given to him by high school coach Dwayne McLain. "Frank Williams was the leader of the gang on the court, I guess" Williams smiles. "And Frank Nitti was the leader of the gang in 'The Untouchables'."

Williams feels fortunate to be on the Knicks because "this is a particularly nice bunch of guys," he says. "This team has great chemistry off the floor. And believe me, that's very helpful." Has he been in a situation where that was not necessarily the case? "Heck, yeah," he booms. "When I was in high school, on my AAU squad. There were guys who wouldn't even pass the ball to each other. You can't play like that."

"Basketball is all about TEAM -- so I feel I can go as far in the NBA as my team allows me," Williams says. "With these guys here -- they are so helpful, they have so much credibility -- I think I can go real far. Sure, one day I can be one of the best point guards in the NBA."

"Maybe not tomorrow. But one day."
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
1/17/2003  12:17 PM
great article. maybe there is some hope? and maybe lets keep ward around a year more, let frankie learn a little bit more from ward and eisley, let milos spend another year in europe and let him grow, and then the next year, trade eisley mid-season when frankie is ready, when ward's contract is over, do not resign him, and then bring milos over.

plan:

2002-03 season

eisley starter
ward backup
williams rookie
milos in europe

2003-04

eisley starter, traded by deadline
ward's contract ends
williams emerges as a 2nd stringer
milos in europe

2004-05

williams as starter
milos in NBA (rookie, learning the ropes for the season, maybe starter by mid-season, sooner?)

Caseloads
1/17/2003  12:32 PM
30 years later, Garden
still not getting point

One day, when James Dolan can't run from the truth anymore, maybe the Knicks will land an impact player at point guard.

It would be nice, since it's only been 30 years since they last had a playmaker who fit that description.

But to obtain another Walt Frazier, if that's even remotely possible, the Knicks would probably have to lose big and get the No.1 or No.2 pick overall in a future draft. That's something Dolan, the Garden CEO, refuses to embrace. But when you win 30 games and draft seventh overall, as the Knicks did last season and seem headed for again this June, you're on a treadmill to mediocrity and will never have the chance to draft the next Frazier.

So while Dolan continues to fool himself and put off the inevitable, the Knicks make do with the Howard Eisleys and Charlie Wards of the world. And other teams are busy drafting points who have the potential to be stars, maybe even superstars. But so far, Jay Williams, taken second overall last June, isn't coming close to either label.

No one should be surprised. Tonight, when Steve Nash and Mike Bibby give us the best head-to-head showdown in the NBA these days, as Sacramento plays host to Dallas, just remember that they struggled early on, were traded away by their original teams and needed several seasons to blossom.

Just as Jason Kidd did. And Gary Payton. And just about everyone who ever played the position in the last 20years, except Magic Johnson.

For all his promise at Duke, where he went by "Jason," Williams has had nights in which he simply hasn't shown that he can run an NBA game. There's a lot to learn. Who to get the ball to. Where teammates like to get it.

Then there are situations he had to figure out for Mike Krzyzewski, but not at this speed or against such talented opponents. It's not a gimme figuring out where the game is going and running an offense in 24 seconds.

Magic was born to do all that. Everyone else learns the hard way. Including Williams.

Last night, as the Knicks sent the Bulls to yet another road defeat, 98-86, he might have hit rock bottom in his first pro game at the Garden. The Jersey product missed all seven of his shots and finished with more turnovers (four) than assists (three) in 24 minutes.

"I was horrible," he said afterward, forcing a smile. "I don't think there's any other word you can use to sum up my playing."

Even on nights like this, Williams has to be given some slack. Some executives, including the Knicks' Scott Layden, had him rated ahead of Yao Ming. Great interview, Layden raved. But there hasn't been anything great to date about Williams, starting with his 2.2-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio and 38% shooting clip.

"But short of Magic Johnson, most point guards, if you don't give them three or four years, you really don't see how good they can be," said Jerry Reynolds, Sacramento's director of player personnel. "A lot of teams gave up on point guards."

The short list is staggering. Before Phoenix ever made the mistake of a lifetime by dealing off Kidd, Dallas gave up on him during his third season in the league. The Grizzlies parted ways with Bibby after three seasons. The Suns, with Kidd in place, had no room after two seasons for Nash.

"You have to ask, what are these teams thinking?" Reynolds said. "Point guards are just like quarterbacks in the NFL. Teams have a tendency to draft these kids and they don't look great, immediately, and so they'll give up on them. Then in the third or fourth years, you start to see what the Kidds and Bibbys and Nashes can really do."

With Williams, the Bulls are hopeful it happens sooner.

"One day, he's going to be able to get all of us the ball," said Williams' teammate, Tyson Chandler. "That's what I'm waiting for."

It's a far better wait than we have here, where memories of Walt Frazier are growing dimmer with every passing, championship-less season.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/51671p-48446c.html

There is hope for Frank Williams... just give him a few years... the kid is just that, a kid.
Caseloads
1/17/2003  12:37 PM
No substitute for experience,
Knicks rookie discovers

By FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Frank Williams spent the past two days watching Jay Williams, the first point guard taken in last year's draft, learn the nuances of the position by trial and error.
On Saturday Williams will see Dan Dickau, the last point guard selected in the first round, getting spot minutes for the Atlanta Hawks.

Meanwhile, Williams, picked between the two aforementioned point guards, can only sit and wonder when his chance will come.

"Anytime anyone doesn't play, it's disappointing," Williams said. "I'm pretty sure everyone would like to be out there trying to do something to help contribute to a team. But it's a learning stage for me. It's something that most guys go through, and I'm going through it now. I've got to learn from it."

This week should be as difficult and confusing as any Williams will experience during his rookie season with the Knicks. Both Jay Williams and Dickau are getting on-the-job training for teams that like the Knicks are longshots to make the playoffs.

Williams, though, is stuck behind two veterans, Charlie Ward and Howard Eisley. Williams had played only 31 minutes before going on the injured list Dec. 2. He is ready to be activated but barring a trade he is not guaranteed to be in uniform again this season, much less play.

"I haven't been told what might happen," he said. "I'm just going to keep working hard and hope to get a chance to play."

Said Don Chaney: "There are two veteran guards ahead of him who are better. You can't play three point guards."

Point guard is the toughest position to learn for any player fresh out of college. And since Williams is on the injured list and the Knicks' practice schedule is limited, his best hope of improving his conditioning and jump shot is over the summer.

Last July, his training was interrupted when he fractured his right wrist during a summer league game. Williams had surgery on his non-shooting arm but the time away hurt his chances of competing for playing time.

Nowadays, his minutes are limited to practices and pregame workouts, which are nothing compared to facing live NBA competition.

Williams has tried to remain upbeat about his situation, saying, "For the most part, the season's been good. I've been around the guys, getting a comfort level." But those good vibes could change dramatically over the summer if second-round pick Milos Vujanic arrives as expected from Yugoslavia.

Although Knicks management is confident that Williams' future is bright, that doesn't explain why they also drafted Vujanic, a point guard whom many executives regard as a better prospect than Williams.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/51853p-48608c.html

williams or vujanic are backup plans of each other... each a wildcard if you will.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy