Author Thread
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
1/12/2003  8:18 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/2003/0110/1490340.html

Friday, January 10

Identifying today's best young offensive talent

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com

What's the first thing you notice when you see ESPN's Fred Carter on NBA 2Night or SportsCenter? Of course, he points at you. It's his way of saying hello. So we've asked NBA expert Fred to greet us and make some points for ESPN.com each week.

To develop into quality players, young fowards, guards and centers have to bring certain characteristics and abilities to the table. They need good hands, footwork and mobility. They've got to be able to catch the ball, rebound, block shots, and score. And all that that requires quickness and overall athleticism.

Specific requirements vary according to players' size and position. But there are a couple of traits that all quality players have in common -- good work ethic and a love of the game. If you've got those things, along with athletic ability, you've got what it takes to be a great player.

Here are my top young offensive talents:

Kobe Bryant

Bryant
Kobe Bryant does so many things so well, I sometimes think of the 24-year-old as "Mr. Wonderful." He defends, rebounds, scores and he can pass. But what makes him so tough is his amazing vision and ability to create shots while in the air. Most players have to think their shots out before they shoot. Whereas, Kobe goes to the basket not knowing what he'll shoot, and creates his shot while he's in the air. He's got a great feel for the game. That's the mark of a great player.

Tracy McGrady

McGrady
What sets Tracy McGrady apart from the rest, is his incredible quickness for a player his size. The 6-foot-9 guard/forward handles the ball very well. McGrady has a great sense of scoring, and can make the three and the mid-range shot. At 23, he doesn't pass quite as well as Kobe, but he can rebound and block shots. McGrady an exciting player. I love to watch him play.

Yao Ming

Yao
Yao Ming has as much talent as any center to ever play the game of basketball. He has great hands and great footwork. He's an outstanding passer with very good touch. At a towering 7-foot-5, Yao can block shots and rebound. Some day, they're going to add another face to Mt. Rushmore -- Yao Ming.

Amare Stoudemire

Stoudemire
Amare Stoudemire, 20, is a man-child in the land of the sun. He's a tenacious, hard-nosed rebounder and shot-blocker. Stoudemire's work ethic is outstanding. You've got to love this guy. And the best is yet to come.

Vince Carter

Carter
When Vince Carter brings his A-game, there's nothing not to love about his game. But too often, we think he doesn't play hard enough. Though we can't hold him accountable for injuries, a healty Vince Carter has all the necessary attributes to be a great player. Soon to be 26, Carter has oustanding jumping and shooting ability and overall athletiscm. We're just waiting for the real Vince Carter to bust out and play hard every game.

AUTOADVERT
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
1/15/2003  12:09 AM
I posted this on real Gm a long time ago. Amare was the type of player the knicks desperately needed, he is a monster, has great hands, superior leaping ability and a ton of heart! A lot of us fans saw this but why didn't Layden, this is the type of player you take the chance on. right now IMO the only Pf's better than him are Duncan, Jermaine Oneal and Garnett, that is it. this kid is a beast!!! Damn!!! we dropped the ball again on this one!!
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
1/15/2003  12:16 AM
Posted by Caseloads:

martin, the thing is - Amare would be doing great on the Nuggets. The kid is sick. Plus - KG has vets and a top 5 NBA coach working with him.

Marbury, Penny, Matrix, and a couple of serviceable centers never brought out the fear in anyone last year, or this year. That's why everyone laughed about the Jason Kidd trade. Marbury has and always be a cancer, Penny is always injured and a pampered whiner, and Matrix plays hard, but isn't someone that is feared, just an amazing athlete.

The one who brings out the FEAR in other teams is the ROOKIE, Amare, and he's the one who rips players "a fresh one" on the opposing squads. Amare has the ferocity that most other ballers just don't seem to have, on his team, or any other. The kid plays like a veteran.

And the Nene comparison... the two have different games. Nene is more of an Olajuwan-esque baller. Amare is, as many have compared him to, a pre-Cleveland (pre-drugs and dunkin-donut binging) Reign Man (Shawn Kemp) - who was also amazing. I remember in '95 or '96, Kemp dunked from nearly the 3 pt line, in a game! it was one of the sickest ever.

The reason why scouts didn't pick him highly is because of a few things. 1) he shifted schools around alot 2) the failure of last year's prep-to-pro's 3) questionable (basketball) intelligence 4) questionable fundamentals 5) questionable 15 ft deep shooting

all the other ballers picked before him had less question marks regarding them if you take a look

I couldn't agree more, he brings that fear element to the suns. Teams big men are starting to realize this kid is a beast, he blocks shots, he will dunk on you at will almost and he is tenacious on the boards, IMO he is the reason why the suns are much better this year, his presence alone is tremendous, this kid has star written all over him..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/15/2003  10:02 AM
FROM DIME:

"We knew he could dunk with ferocity. We knew he could board with reckless abandon. We knew he’s Standing Tall And Talented. We did not know that Amare Stoudemire could break ankles with his handle, until last night. Charging across half court, Amare took his man and broke him off with an inside-out one-handed crossover followed directly by an old-fashioned cross. Leaving his man in the dust, he then elevated over Tony Parker and made like Zeus by bringing the thunder. Now that we think about it, he kind of looks like Zeus, the huge dude who starred opposite Hulk Hogan in the movie No Holds Barred ..."

man, anyone see this highlight clip?
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Caseloads
1/15/2003  9:36 PM
Posted by martin:

FROM DIME:

"We knew he could dunk with ferocity. We knew he could board with reckless abandon. We knew he’s Standing Tall And Talented. We did not know that Amare Stoudemire could break ankles with his handle, until last night. Charging across half court, Amare took his man and broke him off with an inside-out one-handed crossover followed directly by an old-fashioned cross. Leaving his man in the dust, he then elevated over Tony Parker and made like Zeus by bringing the thunder. Now that we think about it, he kind of looks like Zeus, the huge dude who starred opposite Hulk Hogan in the movie No Holds Barred ..."

his nickname should be flu, because he's just that sick.
VG
Member: #68
Australia
1/15/2003  11:57 PM
Posted by martin:

FROM DIME:

I saw that play in last night's game and it was Amare's first basket I saw in a live game. Needless to say I was impressed.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/17/2003  10:26 AM
Yao may have the most one-liners this season, but check this one out by the man-child (from DIME):

Speaking of business, we caught the Amare Stoudemire interview at halftime and we couldn’t help but smile when he said: “It's like I'm the CEO of my own company. I just have to handle my business”
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Caseloads
1/17/2003  12:09 PM
Posted by martin:

Yao may have the most one-liners this season, but check this one out by the man-child (from DIME):

Speaking of business, we caught the Amare Stoudemire interview at halftime and we couldn’t help but smile when he said: “It's like I'm the CEO of my own company. I just have to handle my business”

i saw that too. good stuff.
espn insider?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy