Author Thread
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
9/17/2001  9:35 AM
From Insider...

Cooking his own goose

Things are beginning to turn nasty in the feud between unsigned second-round draft pick Omar Cook and the Nuggets.

Agent Aaron Goodwin is now demanding that Denver trade Cook unless it is willing to give him at least a one-year guaranteed deal. NBA teams are not obligated to give second-round picks any guarantees and the Nuggets, at this point, are offering Cook only a one-year, partially guaranteed deal.

"Our situation is we have one of the best point guards in the league (Nick Van Exel), and since draft day we signed a very experienced point guard (Avery Johnson)," Denver GM Kiki Vandeweghe told the Denver Post. "So at this point, we are going to look at other options (regarding Cook). I want what is best for the kid. If we can't give him what he wants or what his agent wants, I would like to help him go elsewhere."

According to the Post, the Pistons are one of the teams interested in Cook, but they don't expect him to come cheap. The Nuggets gave up a future first-round pick for Cook after he was drafted by the Magic.

Cook struggled in the summer league, shooting just 26 percent from the field. He's a project who would have been a lottery pick had he stayed in school a couple of more years. However he fell in the draft for a reason -- mainly a suspect attitude and a tepid shot -- so is anyone willing to give up a first rounder at this point? Boston, Toronto, New York, Miami and Cleveland are all looking for backup point guards, but Cook is still a few years away.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
9/17/2001  6:03 PM
They said new york is looking for a backup point guard? I think we all know how untrue that is. Unless we do some major remodeling, we will probably have to pass up on him. He could be a good third string point for the time being, but not right now, nor am i willing to give up more then Weis and the two rookies and especially no draft picks. For once i want to hold onto our one first rounder unless the perfect deal comes around that must include it.
VG
Member: #68
Australia
9/18/2001  5:51 AM
Do we really need another point-guard??? I think we should focus on getting a shot-blocker on this team.
UKDad
Member: #31
USA
9/18/2001  7:33 AM
The Knicks do not need a project. There are enough players now trying to get minutes without have an attitude on the court. Let's pass on this one, and concentrate on getting ready for the season and a big man.

[Edited by - ukdad on 09/18/2001 07:36:20]
The Old Man of UK...
Knixkik
USA
9/18/2001  6:07 PM
A new rumor from nykbasketball.com message board has new york sending Mark Jackson to Denver for Omar Cook and Kevin Willis. Not sure how reliable this is, but i would do it and it does make some sense. Thoughts?
NYNEX
Member: #72
9/21/2001  2:28 PM
I'm sick of Insider and their erroneous rumors....its like somewhere along the line, they got too concerned counting money to even pay attention to whats going on...not only did they misquote Allan Houston in that terrible piece they did on him, but then they say we need a backup point???? come on, Terry Brown, we already GOT 4 PG's
Andrew
Member: #1
USA
9/21/2001  2:55 PM
Posted by NYNEX:

I'm sick of Insider and their erroneous rumors....its like somewhere along the line, they got too concerned counting money to even pay attention to whats going on...not only did they misquote Allan Houston in that terrible piece they did on him, but then they say we need a backup point???? come on, Terry Brown, we already GOT 4 PG's

Very true. I think that the reports of Layden being turned off by Omar's attitude were true, and I don't he has helped change that opinion with his demands he is making to Denver. If NY had wanted Cook in the first place they could have traded up to get him in the draft.

Don't need him, don't want him...unless Denver wants to give him up for a second rounder.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
GucciKnick8
Member: #17
USA
9/21/2001  4:23 PM
NYNEX, how are you? Man, where are all the sportstalk cats. I miss my guy b-ball friends.
"You never know here in New York, stuff can happen on any given day," - - -Marcus Camby23
Knixkik
USA
9/22/2001  10:07 AM
Very true. I think that the reports of Layden being turned off by Omar's attitude were true, and I don't he has helped change that opinion with his demands he is making to Denver. If NY had wanted Cook in the first place they could have traded up to get him in the draft.

Don't need him, don't want him...unless Denver wants to give him up for a second rounder.
I'd be willing to trade Frederic Weis and Eric Chenowith or Micheal Wright for him. Besides them, i wouldn't want to give up much.

Also what ever happened to that Nate Huffman guy? Is he still up for grabs and how good is he? I also think we really need to make a run for Marc Jackson, maybe for Othella Harrington and our Mark Jackson.
Latest on Omar Cook

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy