bigs in the draft available at 29
Author Thread
McK1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #964
5/11/2006  11:34 PM
I like JP Batista from Gonzaga.

very tough on the inside

averaged 19 & 9 with a stl and a block last year and shot 83% from the free throw line

would also take a long look at BC's Craig Smith
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
AUTOADVERT
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
5/12/2006  12:15 AM
Batista is a big fat slob, slow, unathletic and not really that good..

craig smith is a good tough guy off the bench...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
McK1
5/12/2006  8:13 AM
J.P. Batista, 6'9, Senior, Power Forward, Gonzaga

20 points, 9 rebounds, 10-18 FG

Jonathan Watters

One of the most intriguing matchups of the weekend came tonight when JP Batista took on Marko Killingsworth in a showdown of accomplished back to the basket scorers. Batista won this battle in a landslide, scoring at will early and often. He showed off a dazzling array of polished post moves, and Killingsworth was helpless to stop him from converting around the basket. After this game, it is easy to see why many believe that Batista is the most effective back to the basket scorer in the entire country.

With Adam Morrison's recent inconsistency from the field, it has been Batista that has stepped up as Gonzaga's go-to guy. He was sensational in the WCC Tourney, and has continued his hot play on the biggest of stages. As undersized and grounded as Batista is, NBA teams are going to give him a long look this spring. Players with his size and effectiveness around the basket don't come along too often, and he will get a chance to prove that he can score on NBA sized big men when it’s all said and done.
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
JayNYC
Member: #682
USA
5/12/2006  8:19 AM
Saer Sene 7-0 235- Scouted to be a Samuel Dalembert clone... Larry Brown loves Dalembert. Could be a good prospect considering he is 19 yrs old.

Josh Boone- Hardworking Scrappy Hustle big man.. Offense is limited but likes to do the dirty work, I could see him as a good fit in NYK.

Ryan Hollins- a sleeper from UCLA, this kid runs the floor well. can block shots.. he's 7 ft, but he is more of a power forward at this point.. too small. Another question mark though, he can be a major factor when his head is in the game.. Doesn't seem like he wants to take over games... His footwork needs work in the low block.
Inhale deep like the words of my breath/ I never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death-- Circa 1994 Nasty Nas: NY State of Mind
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
5/12/2006  9:50 AM
I already indicated that the Knicks should draft best pg then best sg, then acquire a second round pick and draft Hollins. Throw all 3 in the NBADL and build
on for the future.

[Edited by - pharzeone on 05-12-2006 09:51 AM]
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
tkf
5/12/2006  10:12 AM
I don't care how good of a review Batista gets, I don't want that kid... I go by what I have seen, and I am not that impressed...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
McK1
5/12/2006  10:53 AM
not much impresses you tkf.

I like Batista's game. If he can get up and down the floor for the Bulldogs and Coach Few I doubt he won't be able to do the same for just about any NBA team and coach.

IMO he is a ballplayer and a much better bigman prospect than Boone or Hollins

need a true inside presence. Curry dunks and not much else.

he isn't Nene - all athlete. he is more like Barbosa and has an actual game that can be preened.

[Edited by - McK1 on 05-12-2006 10:55 AM]
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/12/2006  11:07 AM
Batista might get exposed in the pros. I wouldn't mind drafting him though at 29 if he is even there.

I like Ryan Hollins though. He had a good tournament.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
tkf
5/12/2006  11:39 AM
Posted by McK1:

I like Batista's game. If he can get up and down the floor for the Bulldogs and Coach Few I doubt he won't be able to do the same for just about any NBA team and coach.

he isn't Nene - all athlete. he is more like Barbosa and has an actual game that can be preened.

MCK1: Do you think batsita is a better player than turiaf? I think turiaf is a career bench role player, at his very best....
McK1
5/12/2006  11:53 AM
a) I don't think Turiaf is a career bench player. the heart thing kept him out most of the season. Now that he has recovered, he may very well be the starting 4 next year.

b) there games are different. I think Batista is more skilled on the block. Rony has more athleticism to play on the perimeter. Doesn't mean Batista necessary lacks it. Very defined roles in that Gonzaga offense and not many could deal with JP inside.
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
5/12/2006  2:30 PM
Posted by McK1:

IMO I think Hollins has the most upside out of Boone and Batista. And ain't that what we now draft for nowadays, apparent upside, future ability.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
5/12/2006  4:27 PM
Batista reminded me of Boozer in a lot of ways. Not saying he will be that good, but he's a bull and IMO could be a good NBA role player.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
5/12/2006  4:30 PM
Batista has terrible hands, at least from what I've seen. I think Craig Smith is a lot better, but I've seen more of Craig.

You pretty much know what you'll get with Smith, great back to the basket scorer who will rebound. Not a shotblocker, not much else, but great post moves and great rebounder.
#Knickstaps
McK1
5/12/2006  7:07 PM
Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by McK1:

IMO I think Hollins has the most upside out of Boone and Batista. And ain't that what we now draft for nowadays, apparent upside, future ability.

upside...basically the same 13 teams have been in the lottery this decade drafting for it
McK1
5/12/2006  7:10 PM
Posted by VDesai:

Batista reminded me of Boozer in a lot of ways. Not saying he will be that good, but he's a bull and IMO could be a good NBA role player.

puts me in the mind of Boozer as well.

thing about JP, for a guy not asked to do much damage from the perimeter, he stil lstepped to the free throw line and knocked them down at an 80% clip. And he had quite a few games where he went to th eline 8,9, times. Can he face up and consistently hit shots if asked upon, I'd wager so.
bigs in the draft available at 29

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy