[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Channing Frye
Author Thread
purple012870
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #432
5/8/2006  9:38 AM
Now that we've had a year to evaluate this kid, what do you guys project? I've heard and seen comparisons from Charles Smith, Troy Murphy (on the low end) to Rasheed Wallace, Kevin McHale & Tim Duncan (on the high end). Most of those seem a little unreasonable one way or the other.

What's the consensus on him at this point?

I am frankly not sure....but even if he ends up being a Troy Murphy clone (meaning he'd have to rebound better), I'd take that. Of course, I like Murphy more than most on this board. Furthermore, I would like us to commit to Frye, backed up primarily by Lee next year. I think that is a great formula for the PF position. The variable here is LB's apparent inability to commit to anything (sorry, the coach lef such a bad taste in my mouth).

Back to the original question....what's the perception of Frye & his future?
AUTOADVERT
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
5/8/2006  9:42 AM
If he is Troy Murphy part deux, I will be very dissappointed. I don't know if TD is in his future, but, I do see him having the ability to becom an elite player. His offense will develop, and I think he could be a 20 ppg scorer, his defense and rebounding are the areas I am most concerned with.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
5/8/2006  9:43 AM
Someone - someone - has to turn this kid loose on the offensive end. Kid's a potential 25 ppg scorer in this league. And I think eventually he could give you 8 boards and 1.5 blocks. He's a future All-Star. If we trade him I'm gonna throw such a hissy fit on this board it'll make a bishop kick out a stain glass window.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
5/8/2006  10:08 AM
I think he is Rasheed Lite in terms of skills but not attitude. Channing will never see his true potential till Statbury is gone. Statbury needs players like KVH and Nazr, players who are more spot up and catch and dunk players.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
5/8/2006  10:13 AM
i think frye will be just fine. i think his post game will improve. i think his all around offensive game will improve. i think his rebounding and defense will improve. (how much defensively, i'm not sure tho.)

with that said, trading him will be telling ALL of us that this organization still has no idea what it's doing and really is all about the dollar.

i think it's his spot to lose come training camp.

the only question is can he get strong enough to play center? i think he can do it for spot duty but he doesn't have the base strength nor the athleticism (like camby) to play it for 40 mins a night unless we get a stud PF in here.

i still think that one day, we will have to make a choice between frye and curry.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
5/8/2006  10:19 AM
Posted by djsunyc:

i still think that one day, we will have to make a choice between frye and curry.

I kind of agree. I think both guys need to play with a defensive stud on the front line, at least in LB's system. I said at the beginning of the season that our success would depend on how quickly Frye and Curry were able to play together - and they never were.
¿ △ ?
EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
5/8/2006  10:30 AM
am I the only person that likes Lee better than Frye? I think Lee plays better defense, is better on the run, and rebounds better. Frye only has a better spot jumper (which is SO smooth). IF Lee works on his shot a bit, I think he is the all-around better player. AND Lee plays with a higher intensity. Lee has something to prove...
This is the Randle.
purple012870
Member: #432
5/8/2006  10:41 AM
I love Lee's game as well (very few players have his nose for the ball on the boards, his ball-handling/passing & ability to finish). Plus, he's a great kid. He look to me like the ultimate role player.

But there's no reason to have one OR the other. Both should flourish.

Trading either is a colassel mistake.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
5/8/2006  10:43 AM
Posted by EwingsGlass:

am I the only person that likes Lee better than Frye? I think Lee plays better defense, is better on the run, and rebounds better. Frye only has a better spot jumper (which is SO smooth). IF Lee works on his shot a bit, I think he is the all-around better player. AND Lee plays with a higher intensity. Lee has something to prove...

I actually like both of them. I would rather have a 4 man rotation at the 4 and 5. I want Curry gone. I want Frye, Lee to be the starters at the 4 and 5. Butler off the bench and draft a defensive monster 4/5 with the draft this year.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
5/8/2006  11:05 AM
i have my doubts about him... watching him play defense, he's very slow to react & he's not that great of a shotblocker either... his offensive skills are solid, but he's not a quintessential low post banger... he's more of a finesse player... that's why i compare him to Charles Smith (who btw, wasn't all that shabby a player either but for that infamous failed layup in the playoffs, which is the main reason he lives in infamy in the minds of most Knick fans)
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
5/8/2006  11:08 AM
Posted by EwingsGlass:

no, ur not the only one... i've said it all year that i think if there's 1 young kid i want to hold onto, it's David Lee... not to say i think he'll be a better player, but that he's the type of guy i want on this team longterm... if Frye can be traded to improve the team in other areas, i have no problem w/that.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
5/8/2006  11:26 AM
Posted by EwingsGlass:

Lee's defense is extremely overrated. Here is the problem with Lee, he is a tweener with extremely limited offensive skills which can extremely bad. He is athlethic, but isn't quick. He doesn't block, is too small to deal with protypical power forwards, lacks a consistent outside jumper to keep defenses honest, doesn't have the quick first step to get around small forwards. It is harder to teach offense than defense in the NBA. Lee is a better rebounder than Frye but's that about it. I think it silly to compare them but here you. Frye is a more talented offensive player, better passer, better hands, has more offensive awareness than Lee, is a better shotblocker, commands at least man to man defense while Lee doesn't. To say that Frye just has a jumper would be discredit many of the other aspects of the game that coaches and other execs around the league saw from him this year. You thnk they just gave him NBA all-rookie 1st team for nothing?
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
McK1
Member: #964
5/8/2006  11:56 AM
beter passer...more offensive awareness

Lee is being converted because of those 2 traits.

David Lee sees the floor and because of this passes much better than Frye. He knows how to space the floor and fill the lane much better than Frye. Lee is better at getting in position to open up for the pass and finish at the rim.
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
5/8/2006  12:03 PM
I like frye, he is very intelligent and has a high bball IQ, I think that alone will help him fufull his potential, I think he is a allstar calibre player...

I think Lee is going to be a player also, great athlete, good kid, good passer, runs the floor as well as any 6'9 guy I have seen, and finishes well..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Pharzeone
5/8/2006  12:17 PM
Posted by McK1:

beter passer...more offensive awareness

Lee is being converted because of those 2 traits.

David Lee sees the floor and because of this passes much better than Frye. He knows how to space the floor and fill the lane much better than Frye. Lee is better at getting in position to open up for the pass and finish at the rim.

I am talking about in the halfcourt, you know some teams do play halfcourt basketball. That's the style that Brown likes to play, and yeah Frye is a better passer out of the post then Lee.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/8/2006  12:17 PM
Posted by NYKBocker:

I think he is Rasheed Lite in terms of skills but not attitude. Channing will never see his true potential till Statbury is gone. Statbury needs players like KVH and Nazr, players who are more spot up and catch and dunk players.

What is Frye may I ask?
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
McK1
Member: #964
5/8/2006  12:27 PM
i'm talking about both half and full. Frye didn't even play much in the post
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
Travla
Member: #723
USA
5/8/2006  12:35 PM
I did not see enough of him to evauate properly. I wish he'd gotten 20 to 25 minutes consistanly for the season. I'd like to keep him unless something really good comes along. I like Channing and Lee a lot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/RPreston01/videos
Pharzeone
5/8/2006  12:36 PM
Posted by McK1:

i'm talking about both half and full. Frye didn't even play much in the post

Wait do you think that Lee played more in the post then Frye this past season??
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
5/8/2006  1:53 PM
Come on guys BOTH players are going to be BIG for this team going forward. This was their ROOKIE season and they both already proved they belong. I think they both will mature and gain strength and they already have such a good base to start with that they will be able to contribute for this team no matter how they're used. Just because you saw certain weaknesses in their games right now, doesn't mean they won't improve in those areas. They BOTH have the drive to be better and that's why i'm positive they'll both succeed.

We CAN'T trade either player at this point. I'm amazed at how critical some of you are at such an early point. We were so upbeat about Ariza and willing to wait. Even a guy like Frank Williams who showed only a little promise. These guys come in and play extremely well for rookies and we have more doubt about them than any others. Look at how much Butler improved. All of our young bigs are going to be so much better next year and beyond. I hope LB isn't too hasty and asks IT to trade any of them.
Channing Frye

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy