[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Francis-Crawford
Author Thread
McK1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #964
5/7/2006  10:27 AM
were effective late as a starting backcourt but how far should we trust them?

Crawford has a good deal of the shooting and ball-handling skills and scoring acumen to be a starting 2. However he is a toothpick in size and the maturation of his floorgame has been slow coming.

Steve IMO is not the problem that most believe him to be. I wouldn't label him a floor general but he is a guard who does things to take pressure off others such as rebound and post up. He hits the wings in stride and he can find the shooters. 1 thing I don't like about Steve is his affinity with his handle. A child of that is outside of the lob pass, his chemistry with his bigmen is shaky.

If healthy conditioned and concentrating, I like this as the starting backcourt with Nate and Rondo or Lowry as the back ups. I think Brown can coach these 2 to play with the other 3 guys on the court.

Any thoughts?
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
AUTOADVERT
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
5/7/2006  11:02 AM
Stevie mailed it in last year. I don't trust anyone who mails it in for a whole season to be more of a team player. I'd like to get rid of him, but I understand it may simply be impossible to get rid of both him and Marbury. And I'm not sure having a guy who has to dominate the ball and take a lot of shots is the best fit with Crawford and Nate.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
5/7/2006  11:09 AM
Which one can guard big SGs?
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
5/7/2006  11:12 AM
Posted by VDesai:

Stevie mailed it in last year. I don't trust anyone who mails it in for a whole season to be more of a team player. I'd like to get rid of him, but I understand it may simply be impossible to get rid of both him and Marbury. And I'm not sure having a guy who has to dominate the ball and take a lot of shots is the best fit with Crawford and Nate.

Yep, Francis didn't want any part of the Knicks, acted as a child. If the choice comes down to him or Marbury I think even Brown would agree that he rather Marbury. Despite all the issues that Marbury had with Brown, he was the first to greet his teammates on the court and cheer while Francis just sneered.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
5/7/2006  11:25 AM
steve francis is still a stop-gap.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
5/7/2006  11:33 AM
Not to mention Steph is the superior guard. Steve is gonnna get it done for someone next season, just hope its not the knicks.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
5/7/2006  12:35 PM
I think it would be better to start Crawford and Qrich. Move Francis and Marbury, bring Nate and Rondo off the bench, try to get a big defensive guard back in the Marbury/Francis trades (Buckner/Hassell, something like that).
¿ △ ?
BlueSeats
Alba Posts: 41
Member: #1024

5/7/2006  12:38 PM
After several years in the league neither Crawful or Frankenstein have settled into a specific guard position. They each play "both" positions, but own neither.

But believe it or not, of the two I prefer Craw at PG. I think he's better at feeding the post, unlike Francis he can penetrate and think score or pass without losing his handle, and on D I like his log arms disrupting the passing lanes. I can't think of a single reason to like Francis at the point.

And I'm really left to wonder what a guy like Francis expects at this point in his career. He wasn't happy in Orlando or here, which leads me to suspect he wants to be with a more developed "contender". But he's got to realize that generally teams that are already succeeding typically already have chemistry and systems in place but have remaining specific needs to fill, like a good perimeter defender or a high percentage long range shooter. Few contenders need these combo guys that it takes a guru coach to figure out how to utilize them. Guys like him are more likely to succeed, at least on a personal level, on teams with huge vague deficiencies, like "we need someone who can score" or "someone who brings in fans."

"Talent" aside, to my mind, the skill set of some of these combo guys really lends themselves to 6th man roles on contenders (think Van Exel.) I'm not trying to say they're not starter caliber, cause they are, but these guys who've been in the league 5+ years and you still don't know what position they play are not in high demand. After a while one dimensional guys, whose talents while more limited are undeniable, like say Bowen or Peja, become far more useful to elite teams than these much vaunted combo dudes.

How we ended up with 4 of these guys (Stiph, Nate, Frankie, and Craw), all jockeying for "position", is beyond reason and humor.
McK1
5/7/2006  12:51 PM
Steve was injured alot this season.

If Crawford wants the job, coming in camp with the necessary muscle and strength to defend the position is a part of that.

Steve can be a stop gap. We take a point, they'll need grooming. The ones presumably being targeted were both sophomores.

Steph superior? guess it depends on what you want out of a lead guard.
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
McK1
5/7/2006  1:02 PM
How we ended up with 4 of these guys (Stiph, Nate, Frankie, and Craw), all jockeying for "position", is beyond reason and humor.

the GM is clueless
BlueSeats
Alba Posts: 41
Member: #1024

5/7/2006  1:19 PM
Posted by McK1:

the GM is clueless

He's always had that damn compulsion for undersized scoring guards, like himself. I think he feels the challenge of having to make it in this league from that size disadvantage can be a great asset, as it was for him. But he has to understand two things, a) that disadvantage isn't what formed his heart of a lion and his enormous will to lead and succeed, he had that first, then he applied that to his challenges. b) He proved his worth early on, with an NCAA championship. to many of these guys come in thinking their the next big thing, the next Isiahs, without having proven anything about leading and winning first.

So taking a little guy and anointing him a prince before he has to prove himself works in the opposite direction of the challenge that Isiah considers so formative. The best example of such guys are Francis and Steph, and it's no surprise they are the two who's attitudes we struggle with the most.
McK1
5/7/2006  1:45 PM
Isiah's spin on it is truly shameless

If you can't play more than one position you probably can't play.

what does that mean? Many great players have and are spending their careers playing one position. Some like Duncan have learned to play two. They still had to learn their "natural" position first.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/7/2006  5:26 PM
Having a good point guard is one thing but the only player to win consistantly without a post theat was isiah. Chicago is the only other team I care to think of but Jordan was not a point guard.

Marbs is not isiah. Marbs is good but he needs what tony Parker has. Marbs needs a guy to give it to because he doesn't have what it takes carry a team. Isiah willed his team and demanded it. His teamates were relentless. They were special. Not the case here.

Now the knicks aleady have frye, and curry. They might not be Duncan and shaq but they are still skillful enough to work with. Marbs can work with both guys and win if the Brown believed in what he has and just play.

Brown aint going anywhere so the whole organization is in limbo!

We'll see how the soap opera unfolds but the city is seriously gonna throw the knicks overboard and become Brooklyn nets fans!
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
tkf
Member: #87
5/8/2006  1:03 AM
I first of all want to draft lowry to groom as the future PG.But for now, craw could run the point. Now I think it is time to ship marbs out, and I think that is why francis was brought in. Now I don't know what to think of francis so far, but I do like his rebounding and size over marbury, steve can't shoot and he turns the ball over too much, now maybe we can cut back on his TO's, but really where does steve fit here? I don't know, I am not sure If I rather have Craw and Q rich in the backcourt......I think that might be a better duo..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
McK1
5/8/2006  8:14 AM
seemed Crawford did most his damage playing 2. Its like D'Antoni did with Leahndrho accepting he is a 2 and playing him there. Lee can handle the ball, penetrate, pass but he is for the most part always on the floor with Nash or Diaw and playing off of those 2. Same deal with Crawford.

Leandrho's height is a bad match-up defensively if you're going to startt him but Crawford doesn't have the height issues. If he can put on some muscle it changes the whole dynamic of the backcourt.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
5/8/2006  11:10 AM
i want to see Craw given the reigns to this team at the PG spot, & let Q Rich play the 2. (which of course, means Marbury & Francis are playing on other teams next year)
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
tkf
Member: #87
5/8/2006  12:08 PM
Posted by TMS:

i want to see Craw given the reigns to this team at the PG spot, & let Q Rich play the 2. (which of course, means Marbury & Francis are playing on other teams next year)

I can live with that...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
McK1
5/8/2006  2:33 PM
Crawford at point = 30 wins
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
5/8/2006  2:44 PM
Posted by McK1:

Crawford at point = 30 wins

i think he matured alot in the 2nd half of last season when he took the reigns of this team after Marbury went on the shelf w/his injuries... this team looks to him as a leader now... he's the guy who makes the tough shots in crunchtime when this team needs someone to step up... i have no problem giving this team to him & seeing where he can lead them... we're not contending for a title anytime soon... i'd rather see the young guys gel & form a good team, the same way Chicago has grown into a good team because they were allowed to gel together... that means getting rid of our so-called leaders in Marbury & Francis, & letting Craw & Nate grow into their roles going forward... signing another good fundamental player like Jason Williams (Duke) w/a low risk FA contract would be another smart move to make to play alongside those guys.

[Edited by - TMS on 05-08-2006 2:45 PM]
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
McK1
5/8/2006  5:31 PM
Crawford is a good 4th quarter player. Getting him the ball knowing he can put it in the hole when situations get tight is a nice luxury. Being able to use him to orchestrate a few plays is an even bigger one. However when we talk about full time point guard

Being able to set tempo and get everyone involved, read defenses, motivates involves so much more that I don't recal Craw showing glimpses of to warrant giving him the starting 1 spot.
Francis-Crawford

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy