[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

thomas gets his night in the sun (article)
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
5/7/2006  9:01 AM
May 7, 2006
Thomas Gets His Night in the Sun
By HOWARD BECK

PHOENIX, May 6 — To the Knicks, Tim Thomas was nothing but a trading chip. To the Chicago Bulls, he was a malingering veteran. But by late Thursday night in Phoenix, Thomas was nothing less than a savior.

Of all the strange routes taken to Saturday night's Game 7 between the Suns and the Lakers, none was more circuitous and haphazard than the one taken by Thomas. As of Oct. 3, he was a returning starter with the Knicks. A day later, he was a member of the Bulls, the key piece of a trade that sent Eddy Curry to New York. By late November, Thomas was an exile.

The Bulls, believing that he was a bad fit with a bad attitude, sent Thomas home to New Jersey and continued to pay his $14 million salary. Chicago waived him on March 1, and Thomas signed with the Suns two days later. Phoenix needed Thomas to replace Kurt Thomas, another former Knick, who was out with a foot injury.

If not for that complex chain of events, the Suns' season might have ended Thursday in Los Angeles. The Lakers had a 3-2 lead in the series and a 105-102 lead in Game 6 with less than 10 seconds left. Steve Nash missed a 3-pointer, Shawn Marion grabbed the rebound and passed to Thomas in the right corner. Thomas hit the game-tying 3-pointer with 6.3 seconds left, and the Suns prevailed, 126-118, in overtime.

Even before hitting that shot, Thomas was enjoying his strange fate. The Knicks missed the playoffs. The Bulls were eliminated in six games by the Miami Heat. Thomas was still playing, and for one of the most collegial teams in the league.

"It was a good one," Thomas said of his season. "Nice vacation, got to spend all the major holidays home. I didn't have all the wear and tear. I've probably got the freshest legs in here. So it's been great. Especially going through what both teams have gone through."

Thomas was a starter until spraining his left knee in Game 3. He scored in double figures in each of the first six games, tallying 22 points and 15 rebounds in the Suns' Game 1 victory and 21 points and 10 rebounds in Game 6. A capable post-up scorer as well as a solid 3-point shooter and open-court threat, Thomas is a perfect fit for the Suns' wide-open style. A small forward for most of his career, he is comfortable, at 6 feet 10 inches, at power forward in Phoenix's small-ball lineup.

He said it was the most fun he had had "since probably high school, college" and his early days with the Milwaukee Bucks. "This team, it's like a college atmosphere. We hang out together, we go out to eat together, our wives hang out together. In other situations, you had so much separation. The major goal here is just to win. Everybody's on one page."

That description is in stark contrast to the foreboding, politically charged atmosphere of Madison Square Garden, where Thomas spent a season and a half with the hapless Knicks.

A New Jersey native, Thomas had hoped for better when the Knicks acquired him in a 2004 trade. But, like many players, he often found it difficult to thrive in an offense dominated by point guard Stephon Marbury.

"With a guy like Steph, you can't really get involved unless he lets you get involved," Thomas said. "He's a scoring point guard. And scoring point guards don't really look to give the ball up as much."

In Phoenix, Thomas is yet another role player enjoying a renaissance alongside Nash, the reigning most valuable player.

"He's always looking to give the ball up," Thomas said. "And it makes your job a whole lot easier, because if you run the floor, you definitely know you're going to get it, rather than running the floor knowing that you're not going to get it. And then the next time you don't run the floor and everybody looks at you like you're crazy."

In Chicago, the Bulls had two younger, harder-nosed small forwards, Andrés Nocioni and Luol Deng. They acquired Thomas because his expiring contract would help them reduce their payroll. But Thomas was unhappy with his role, and the Bulls, concerned that he could become a distraction, sent him home.

"They made the trade to write me off at the end of the year," Thomas said. "I just hate all the negativity that comes with it. And I heard 15 million stories — I didn't work hard, I was bad in the locker room, all kinds of stuff. But the bottom line is, they really didn't want me there, to take away from the guys like Nocioni and Luol."

Looking back, the forced vacation looks good compared to losing 59 games in New York.

"I would rather be sitting out than to be in a losing situation or a situation that doesn't want you around," he said.

Now Thomas is sure he has found a new N.B.A. home. He said he hoped to re-sign with the Suns this summer.

"To end up in this situation is just a blessing," he said. "I'm not going nowhere."
AUTOADVERT
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
5/7/2006  9:27 AM
Good article. I have always like Howard Beck.
Posted by djsunyc:

Steve Nash missed a 3-pointer, Shawn Marion grabbed the rebound and passed to Thomas in the right corner. Thomas hit the game-tying 3-pointer with 6.3 seconds left, and the Suns prevailed, 126-118, in overtime.
I'm not a TT fan but I know TT doesnt shy away from the ball late in the game like Keith Van Horn. I really disliked KVH and how he just backed off and was terrified of taking the last second shot. If it was KVH instead of TT on the Suns on Thursday, he would either been hiding behind a Laker defender or would passed the ball up even with an open 3. I'm happy for Tim Thomas.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
5/7/2006  9:27 AM
You know Timmy's gonna get his doiugh.

What a fugzy - "this was great, got to spend all the hiolidays at home", etc.

Even though he's partially right about Steph, TT was a total - and i mean total - waste of space last year.

Marv
5/7/2006  9:30 AM
Posted by Silverfuel:

Good article. I have always like Howard Beck.
Posted by djsunyc:

Steve Nash missed a 3-pointer, Shawn Marion grabbed the rebound and passed to Thomas in the right corner. Thomas hit the game-tying 3-pointer with 6.3 seconds left, and the Suns prevailed, 126-118, in overtime.
I'm not a TT fan but I know TT doesnt shy away from the ball late in the game like Keith Van Horn. I really disliked KVH and how he just backed off and was terrified of taking the last second shot. If it was KVH instead of TT on the Suns on Thursday, he would either been hiding behind a Laker defender or would passed the ball up even with an open 3. I'm happy for Tim Thomas.

KVH was the worst!! The only clutch playoff game I ever saw him have was the big game against Boston when he hit the 3's late. Otherwise he disappeared or choked in every singlt playoff geem I ever saw him in. The one last year against Houston was the all-time best!
Silverfuel
USA
5/7/2006  9:41 AM
Posted by Marv:

TT was a total - and i mean total - waste of space last year.
Come on Marv, we have Jerome James! Jerome James is a total waste.
McK1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #964
5/7/2006  9:51 AM
could be the money or it could be the situation. I'd say its both.

likely get an MLE level deal.

likely will want to continue playing for coach D' Antoni and a point in Steve who as a combo are the ultimate pressure release valve.

"We did it for Raja" is all you need to now about what kind of teammate and leader Nash is.

And Raja was there outside when the team bus arrived back at the hotel.

The job for Phoenix' players is conditioning and preparation. Everything else is just basketball.
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
Marv
5/7/2006  9:51 AM
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by Marv:

Silver, I have a dream in life. It may seem misguided, it may seem a bt limited in scope. So be it. My dream is for me, Martin and dj to go out drinking with the Big Game. I think we could do it. dj says his juice card at the Garden isn't strong enough to pull it off but I'm banking on him and Martin to make this work.

Silverfuel
USA
5/7/2006  9:52 AM
ROFLMAO!!
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
5/7/2006  9:53 AM
KVH was good in the Boston series and he was decent last year for the Mavs. TT is able to take over games. He did the same thing with the Bucks in their playoff runs. I am not surprise at all. He is just one of those guys who perform well in the postseason like Horry. Talking about shrinkage, that would be K-Mart this guy also shrivels up when his team is counting on him. Against the Lakers, Spurs, Clips, Detroit.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
Silverfuel
USA
5/7/2006  9:54 AM
Posted by Pharzeone:

Talking about shrinkage, that would be K-Mart this guy also shrivels up when his team is counting on him. Against the Lakers, Spurs, Clips, Detroit.
Good post. I forgot about Kmart. He always comes up short and then blames it on someone else on the team.
Marv
5/7/2006  9:55 AM
Posted by McK1:

likely will want to continue playing for coach D' Antoni and a point in Steve who as a combo are the ultimate pressure release valve.

That's possible, but one thing about Phoenix is that they've shown a real knack for dealing with roster issues from thier own vision and not from a what-have-you-done-for=me-lately approach. Letting go of JJ and Q after a 60-win season was ballsy as hell!
McK1
5/7/2006  9:57 AM
KMart played his ass off in 04 vs Detroit. Kidd's knee giving out is what loss them that series. He had an 0-fer in game 7.
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
McK1
5/7/2006  9:59 AM
Posted by Marv:
Posted by McK1:

That's possible, but one thing about Phoenix is that they've shown a real knack for dealing with roster issues from thier own vision and not from a what-have-you-done-for=me-lately approach. Letting go of JJ and Q after a 60-win season was ballsy as hell!

requesting Diaw and signing Bell to replace these guys was A-1 retooling.
Marv
5/7/2006  10:03 AM
Posted by McK1:
Posted by Marv:
Posted by McK1:

requesting Diaw and signing Bell to replace these guys was A-1 retooling.

and getting Jalen Rose and Stevie Francis was ________ retooling. Please fill in the blank.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/7/2006  10:17 AM
Posted by Marv:
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by Marv:

Silver, I have a dream in life. It may seem misguided, it may seem a bt limited in scope. So be it. My dream is for me, Martin and dj to go out drinking with the Big Game. I think we could do it. dj says his juice card at the Garden isn't strong enough to pull it off but I'm banking on him and Martin to make this work.

wait, I thought that we agreed it wouldn't be drinking but rather Burger munching with lots of digital snapshots.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
McK1
5/7/2006  10:32 AM
and getting Jalen Rose and Stevie Francis was FUBAR retooling.

I like both players but the FIT was all wrong.

Isiah's "its so crazy it just might work" comment regarding the Steph-Steve backcourt showed a total lack of any real gameplan or vision.
Marv
5/7/2006  10:33 AM
Posted by McK1:

Isiah's "its so crazy it just might work" comment regarding the Steph-Steve backcourt showed a total lack of any real gameplan or vision.

that was larry's comment.
firefly
Alba Posts: 17
Member: #721
United Kingdom
5/7/2006  10:57 AM
I will laugh and laugh next year when TT turns back into fugazy.
Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream things that never were and ask why not?
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/7/2006  12:47 PM
What does KVH have to do with this?

And we larry does not figure into TT.

ITs the darn chemistry we have on this team the last few years that does bring out the best in players.

KVH was ok here, and did ok with Steph, but stephs caustic ways removed him. Turn to the Gazy man whom we seem to bring the worst out of him.

This team has some bad elements that need be removed. Its a bad environment. So bad it turned Marbury who needed this gig to salvage any rep, into an even worse monster than the one he was whenhe got here!

The environment is so bad bring in a great coach and the team chemistry even gets worse!

Isiah must rethink what in the hell he is doing or he gotta go.

Damm, Times today quotes Rod Thorn as saying he would have came to the knicks.

Bring Stu jax back to run this thing. Few years in the leagues office might have done him well.
McK1
5/7/2006  12:58 PM
Posted by Marv:
Posted by McK1:

that was larry's comment.

"It's one of those crazy kind of things that you look at at first blush and say, 'I don't think this will work,' " Thomas said. "But the more you analyze their games, you start thinking, 'Hey, this might work.' "

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2006-02-22-magic-knicks-trade_x.htm
thomas gets his night in the sun (article)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy