[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Stern High on Knicks
Author Thread
McK1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #964
5/3/2006  7:50 PM
May 3, 2006 -- NBA Commissioner David Stern predicted yesterday the Knicks will emerge from their laughingstock status next season in year two of the Larry Brown era.
Stern watched his words carefully because, as a Knick fan who grew up in New York, he's often charged with having a pro-Knick bias.

When asked by The Post if he were baffled by their historic 23-59 collapse, Stern said, "I put my Knick fandom behind me when I became commissioner, but I would say that. Larry takes a season or so to let people know how he likes to play.

"My guess is he'll be getting more players that will like to play the same way. My guess is the Knicks will be substantially improved next year. But just as a fan of the whole league, I'm saying it."

Stern said the Knick catastrophe is of no concern to the league's health.

"It's only an issue in New York," the Westchester resident said. "There are 28 teams that wish the New York teams nothing but ill. Some of the greatest growth in this league came when two teams, Boston and L.A., were spending June mesmerizing us. We will always have teams down and they will find their way back."
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
AUTOADVERT
McK1
5/3/2006  7:51 PM
with Larry Brown here to right the ills of the roster, don't see why more Knick fans aren't optomistic
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
5/3/2006  11:11 PM
Posted by McK1:

with Larry Brown here to right the ills of the roster, don't see why more Knick fans aren't optomistic

It's baffling. Not everyone can see the light like us.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
holfresh
Member: #1081

5/3/2006  11:40 PM
Posted by McK1:

Maybe you missed the regular season and need the CliffNotes version of what went down with the Knicks this past year....Larry stunk!!!...

[Edited by - holfresh on 05-03-2006 11:50 PM]

[Edited by - holfresh on 05-03-2006 11:51 PM]
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/3/2006  11:51 PM

We are the leagues tampon for bad contracts. Dolan needs tax writeoffs and the league needs a "suppository" of sorts to deposit the leauges overpaid. Sort of a high colonic flush.

We take the weak, the malcontent, the injured, substance abusers, the old, the vertically challanged, the cardic challanged, the gazy, the hungrey, and the poor.

Its not "Elis Island" its "Isiah Island"!
Member: #1126
USA
5/4/2006  2:36 AM
Posted by McK1:

May 3, 2006 -- NBA Commissioner David Stern predicted yesterday the Knicks will emerge from their laughingstock status next season in year two of the Larry Brown era.
Stern watched his words carefully because, as a Knick fan who grew up in New York, he's often charged with having a pro-Knick bias.

"It's only an issue in New York," the Westchester resident said. "There are 28 teams that wish the New York teams nothing but ill. Some of the greatest growth in this league came when two teams, Boston and L.A., were spending June mesmerizing us. We will always have teams down and they will find their way back."

I'll tell you one thing, for a Knicks fan, Stern has been one of the fairest Commisioner's in all of sports. There is no reason why he shouldn't be able to express his belief in his own team, withhout having to compromise the league. The people who think Stern as bias are sad and lost. This is almost as bad as people accusing the New York Yankees of 'buying' world series (and now they pay extra so the other teams can have a chance' give me a break)! Really? Stern should be named 'Commisioner of the Decade'! Why should'nt the Knicks be successful, they are a part of the NBA also?! After our dismal 23 wins, no one has a right to say that we are dominating the league because of Stern. That's the real bias.
I'll never trust this' team again.
oohah
Member: #887
5/4/2006  2:53 AM
Posted by 4949:
Posted by McK1:

I'll tell you one thing, for a Knicks fan, Stern has been one of the fairest Commisioner's in all of sports. There is no reason why he shouldn't be able to express his belief in his own team, withhout having to compromise the league. The people who think Stern as bias are sad and lost. This is almost as bad as people accusing the New York Yankees of 'buying' world series (and now they pay extra so the other teams can have a chance' give me a break)! Really? Stern should be named 'Commisioner of the Decade'! Why should'nt the Knicks be successful, they are a part of the NBA also?! After our dismal 23 wins, no one has a right to say that we are dominating the league because of Stern. That's the real bias.

I think what you say is true for the most part.

But...

I think there have been times when the league has gone out of its way to express lack of bias towards the Knicks, at no time more than when we got the royalest playoff hosing ever vs. Miami in the P.J. Brown incident.

Maybe the only bigger hosing was King vs. Lakers game 6.... No the Knicks were hosed worse!

oohah

[Edited by - oohah on 05-04-2006 02:55 AM]
Good luck Mike D'Antoni, 'cause you ain't never seen nothing like this before!
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
5/4/2006  7:13 AM
agreed.. those suspensions were so clearly the worst ever. Regular season is one thing but the NBA office cost us that series because we had players stand up and walk 10 feet off the bench.

Unreal.. never forget that bull
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Nalod
USA
5/4/2006  9:04 AM
THe lord and the IRS givith and taketh.

His lordship Stern givith The Ewing ping-pong balls and taketh away!

Stern should have stepped in and interviened the Curry trade. Not to be a meddling fool but to save us from ourselves.

Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
5/4/2006  9:40 AM
Posted by fishmike:

agreed.. those suspensions were so clearly the worst ever. Regular season is one thing but the NBA office cost us that series because we had players stand up and walk 10 feet off the bench.

Unreal.. never forget that bull

I mean, they suspended us in away so that we were missing KEY FRIGGIN players in each game. It was like Starks and somebody in one game, and then Allan Houston and someone else in another game. I couldnt believe it.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
5/4/2006  9:49 AM
ewing was out for game six. we only had 9 people in uniform. starks was out for game 7. (i think oak was as well).
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
5/4/2006  11:08 AM
well, we did clear the bench even though tall of them did not fight. rules are rules. i blamed van gundy and the players more. they, out of all players, should know what to do and what not to do in that situation. we were the reason why they made such a rule ( kj vs. greg anthony brawl/ jo jo vs.harper).
Nalod
USA
5/4/2006  11:17 AM

Where is Van Gundy?
McK1
5/4/2006  11:19 AM
displaying the hidden art

Fetus-style
McK1
5/4/2006  11:28 AM
years ago thoe actions seemed so heroic.

guys like Pippen who rarely skirmished were the "punks"

Thinking about it now, theres a reason none of the players or coach in that caption won it all. Calmer heads prevail under pressure.

better question is where's Riles.

Back then it was like "JVG is in there in the trenches. woo-hoo!!!" In retro keeping the rest of the troops (and your chances of competing for the remainder of the series) in order was priority A

[Edited by - McK1 on 05-04-2006 11:29 AM]
bigpimpin
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #801
USA
5/4/2006  12:01 PM
What exactly did anyone expect the Commissioner of the NBA to say? He is being politically correct.
"Anyone who sits around waiting to hit the lottery, whether basketball or real life, in order to better their position is a loser."
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
5/4/2006  12:46 PM
Lets not remind me of the '97 brawl. I still say that was our year to win the championship. We were KILLING Miami that series and we destroyed Charlotte the series before. I really think we could have beat the Bulls and Ewing gets crowned champion. Amazing.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
5/4/2006  1:32 PM
Posted by Allanfan20:

Lets not remind me of the '97 brawl. I still say that was our year to win the championship. We were KILLING Miami that series and we destroyed Charlotte the series before. I really think we could have beat the Bulls and Ewing gets crowned champion. Amazing.

It's times like that when I feel that Stern does this kind of crap in order to say "see? If I was a Knicks fan, I wouldn't allow this..." just to prove to those who hate the Knicks that he can screw the Knicks too.

Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
BasketballJones
Alba Posts: 19
Member: #290
USA
5/4/2006  5:45 PM
Posted by bigpimpin:

What exactly did anyone expect the Commissioner of the NBA to say? He is being politically correct.

Stern to Knicks: DROP DEAD!

https:// It's not so hard.
Member: #1126
USA
5/4/2006  8:09 PM
Posted by Nalod:

THe lord and the IRS givith and taketh.

His lordship Stern givith The Ewing ping-pong balls and taketh away!

Stern should have stepped in and interviened the Curry trade. Not to be a meddling fool but to save us from ourselves.

Well, we got the ping pong to go our way, and we certainly had our chances, we didn't finish well and Jordan took it all away and we still blew it when Jordan was gone for a season and a half. I'm still angry about that stupid Starks air ball in game six when the big U had the hot hand that night.
I'll never trust this' team again.
Stern High on Knicks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy