[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

flashback: thomas assesses search for coach (may 5, 2005)
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
5/3/2006  1:23 PM
Thomas Assesses Search for Coach
by Tom Kertes

GREENBURGH, NY, May 5, 2005 --- The looming imminence of the NBA Draft. A quartet of talented college players working out for the team. Even with this busy plethora of goings-on going on, there was a whole lot of Phil Jackson conversation as Knicks President, Basketball Operations Isiah Thomas talked to the media on Thursday at the team’s Madison Square Training Center.

Still, Thomas understood. “When you look at the resumes and the body of work he’s put together, Phil, along with Larry Brown, is a cut above,” smiled Thomas. “I don’t think anyone else coaching today can talk about being at that level. Other guys out there are real good, but Phil…It’s like myself when I was a player. I was good -- but I wasn’t Michael Jordan.”

Jackson, of course, may choose another team -- or not coach anywhere next season. “I think he’s still trying to decide about those things,” said Thomas. “I think he’s been pretty up front about his health and his energy. He’s been up front with us and with everyone else. Phil’s a pretty deep thinker -- and he’s got a lot to think about in terms of where he’ll live, the length of what may be his last contract, his legacy, and all those other factors.” In reality, “we, meaning the people trying to hire him, are probably more concerned with his legacy than he is,” said Thomas. “We talk about legacy. But that word actually never came out of his mouth.”

“He’ll take his time,” added Thomas. “And you want a guy like him to take his time and make the right decision for himself.”

“I got the sense that wherever he decides to go, he’ll put all his heart and energy into it. I don’t think rebuilding really comes into it all that much. The Lakers didn’t make the playoffs and neither did we. Or Cleveland, or Minnesota. So wherever he ends up, it’s going to be dirty work. But yes, it’s safe to say that New York holds a special place for him.”

When Thomas and Jackson met, “we talked about players, we talked about personnel,” said Thomas. “But any coach that we hire, any coach that we’ll have, will have a say-so in personnel. Phil, and everyone else, understands where we are.”

“I think that there will be a second meeting with Phil Jackson,” added Thomas. “However, in the meanwhile let’s not forget that there are other attractive candidates. And we have talked, and will be talking, with a number of them.”

“There are some very good coaches out there,” said Thomas. “(Ex-Minnesota Timber Wolves mentor) Flip Saunders has definitely proven he’s one of those guys.”

Thomas again maintained his strong interest in Herb Williams, who along with assistant coach Michael Malone are taking part in all the pre-draft workouts. "As you go around and talk to a lot of different coaches, it's important to understand we have a good one here right now," said Thomas. "Herb did a great job for us. And throughout this process, he's been a real pro. The thing that I admire most about Herb Williams that he wore the uniform -- and he placed the Knicks ahead of himself. He wants what's best for the Knicks. I admire him and I thank him for giving us this opportunity to go and talk to people without being unprofessional about it."

“We feel that the Knicks job is a very attractive job,” said Thomas. “We have six draft picks over the next two years and a young core to build upon. Still, it’s going to be dirty work here.” Thus whoever ends up the coach must be fully prepared and ready for that.
AUTOADVERT
SlimPack
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1009
USA
5/3/2006  1:52 PM
what was the point of posting this?
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/3/2006  2:12 PM
Its part of DJ's "Classic" collection.

When things are Slow in the Knick world tune into ulitmateknicks Classic.

Relive the starphuchs, the trades, and the broken dreams.

Worst time of the year for a knick fan. No playoffs, no draft drama, and no roster changes until the finals are over.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
5/3/2006  2:12 PM
Posted by Nalod:

Its part of DJ's "Classic" collection.

When things are Slow in the Knick world tune into ulitmateknicks Classic.

Relive the starphuchs, the trades, and the broken dreams.

Worst time of the year for a knick fan. No playoffs, no draft drama, and no roster changes until the finals are over.

yes
Member: #1126
USA
5/4/2006  2:14 AM
Posted by djsunyc:

Thomas Assesses Search for Coach
by Tom Kertes

GREENBURGH, NY, May 5, 2005 --- The looming imminence of the NBA Draft. A quartet of talented college players working out for the team. Even with this busy plethora of goings-on going on, there was a whole lot of Phil Jackson conversation as Knicks President, Basketball Operations Isiah Thomas talked to the media on Thursday at the team’s Madison Square Training Center.

Still, Thomas understood. “When you look at the resumes and the body of work he’s put together, Phil, along with Larry Brown, is a cut above,” smiled Thomas. “I don’t think anyone else coaching today can talk about being at that level. Other guys out there are real good, but Phil…It’s like myself when I was a player. I was good -- but I wasn’t Michael Jordan.”

Jackson, of course, may choose another team -- or not coach anywhere next season. “I think he’s still trying to decide about those things,” said Thomas. “I think he’s been pretty up front about his health and his energy. He’s been up front with us and with everyone else. Phil’s a pretty deep thinker -- and he’s got a lot to think about in terms of where he’ll live, the length of what may be his last contract, his legacy, and all those other factors.” In reality, “we, meaning the people trying to hire him, are probably more concerned with his legacy than he is,” said Thomas. “We talk about legacy. But that word actually never came out of his mouth.”

“He’ll take his time,” added Thomas. “And you want a guy like him to take his time and make the right decision for himself.”

“I got the sense that wherever he decides to go, he’ll put all his heart and energy into it. I don’t think rebuilding really comes into it all that much. The Lakers didn’t make the playoffs and neither did we. Or Cleveland, or Minnesota. So wherever he ends up, it’s going to be dirty work. But yes, it’s safe to say that New York holds a special place for him.”

When Thomas and Jackson met, “we talked about players, we talked about personnel,” said Thomas. “But any coach that we hire, any coach that we’ll have, will have a say-so in personnel. Phil, and everyone else, understands where we are.”

“I think that there will be a second meeting with Phil Jackson,” added Thomas. “However, in the meanwhile let’s not forget that there are other attractive candidates. And we have talked, and will be talking, with a number of them.”

“There are some very good coaches out there,” said Thomas. “(Ex-Minnesota Timber Wolves mentor) Flip Saunders has definitely proven he’s one of those guys.”

Thomas again maintained his strong interest in Herb Williams, who along with assistant coach Michael Malone are taking part in all the pre-draft workouts. "As you go around and talk to a lot of different coaches, it's important to understand we have a good one here right now," said Thomas. "Herb did a great job for us. And throughout this process, he's been a real pro. The thing that I admire most about Herb Williams that he wore the uniform -- and he placed the Knicks ahead of himself. He wants what's best for the Knicks. I admire him and I thank him for giving us this opportunity to go and talk to people without being unprofessional about it."

“We feel that the Knicks job is a very attractive job,” said Thomas. “We have six draft picks over the next two years and a young core to build upon. Still, it’s going to be dirty work here.” Thus whoever ends up the coach must be fully prepared and ready for that.

I think we should keep in mind though, Brown has a history of having a bad start everywhere he has gone. Let's wait and see if that holds true after this next season (or during the process). Then this article might hold more water.
I'll never trust this' team again.
oohah
Member: #887
5/4/2006  2:17 AM
I think we should keep in mind though, Brown has a history of having a bad start everywhere he has gone.

This is simply not true. See here: http://www.basketball-reference.com/coaches/brownla01c.html

oohah

Good luck Mike D'Antoni, 'cause you ain't never seen nothing like this before!
USA
5/4/2006  2:23 AM
Posted by oohah:
I think we should keep in mind though, Brown has a history of having a bad start everywhere he has gone.

This is simply not true. See here: http://www.basketball-reference.com/coaches/brownla01c.html

oohah

Okay, I stand corrected. 'A few of the places he has gone'! Damn, and what are you doing up so late? I thought I was the only one. You must have been waiting up for me and jumped on me, with obvious stats at hand. Obsessive poster! Making sure no one gets away with anything' are we?
oohah
5/4/2006  2:29 AM
Posted by 4949:
Posted by oohah:

oohah

Okay, I stand corrected. 'A few of the places he has gone'! Damn, and what are you doing up so late? I thought I was the only one. You must have been waiting up for me and jumped on me, with obvious stats at hand. Obsessive poster! Making sure no one gets away with anything' are we?

I've been through this conversation in this forum before.

I'm also one of the forum insomniacs!

oohah

oohah
5/4/2006  2:30 AM
By the way, this year has made the "LB Starts Slow" school of opinion sooooo much stronger!

oohah

[Edited by - oohah on 05-04-2006 02:30 AM]
USA
5/4/2006  2:45 AM
Posted by oohah:

By the way, this year has made the "LB Starts Slow" school of opinion sooooo much stronger!

oohah

Then I can probably use my phrase a few more teams from now, huh? I'm a former insomniac, who still pretends to be, but happen to be up late. It's better than walking around Central Park at night.
oohah
5/4/2006  2:50 AM
Posted by 4949:
Posted by oohah:

oohah

Then I can probably use my phrase a few more teams from now, huh? I'm a former insomniac, who still pretends to be, but happen to be up late. It's better than walking around Central Park at night.

Yes, since I joined Ultimate Knicks, my late night crime sprees seem to have gone into remission too.

oohah

USA
5/4/2006  2:51 AM
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
5/4/2006  5:42 AM
Fellas, the only thing between me and these late night parties is my little friend Ambien.
oohah
5/4/2006  1:03 PM
Posted by Marv:

Fellas, the only thing between me and these late night parties is my little friend Ambien.

I've been thinking about Ambien. I guess it works. Any downside to it?

oohah

flashback: thomas assesses search for coach (may 5, 2005)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy