[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

buy out francis/marbury or trade for kmart?

Author Poll
djsunyc
Member: #536
what would be better for us: buying out francis or marbury which guarantees the contract comes off the books in 3 years and we don't make another big expiring year deal... or trading for kmart who has a max deal that extends 2 years past marbury or francis?
buy out
kmart
View Results

Author Thread
PresIke
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #33
USA
5/3/2006  12:08 PM
Neither. I can't say I agree with the notion that we have to either buy them out or trade them for K-Mart, nor are those the likely scenarios for the Knicks either.

Certainly Isiah is considering K-Mart, but not buying out Francis &/or Marbury.
Forum Po Po and #33 for a reason...
AUTOADVERT
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
5/3/2006  12:10 PM
buying out Francis or Marbury should be the absolute last viable option... at least w/KMart you have a potential positive return on your investment... it also poses a risk of weighing down the cap 2 extra years, but this franchise has never been close to being under the cap as long as Dolan has owned the franchise, & i don't see any reason to believe they ever will.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
5/3/2006  12:11 PM
Posted by PresIke:

Neither. I can't say I agree with the notion that we have to either buy them out or trade them for K-Mart, nor are those the likely scenarios for the Knicks either.

i'm going on the assumption that we'd swap one of those two for kmart since it makes the most sense for both teams.
djsunyc
5/3/2006  12:12 PM
Posted by TMS:

buying out Francis or Marbury should be the absolute last viable option... at least w/KMart you have a potential positive return on your investment... it also poses a risk of weighing down the cap 2 extra years, but this franchise has never been close to being under the cap as long as Dolan has owned the franchise, & i don't see any reason to believe they ever will.

microfracture is not just a river in egypt.
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
5/3/2006  12:15 PM
Buyout please. I think it's addition by subtraction if both malcontents are off of this team next year.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
5/3/2006  12:16 PM
Since Denver wants to get rid of him so bad, we should be able to get him without trading Steph or Stevie. Maybe we can get them to pick up some of the tab on that contract of his, too.
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
5/3/2006  12:22 PM
the most allowed under the cap rules is a cash payment of $3 million... maybe you can squeeze a future pick out of DEN? that would be too good to be true.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
5/3/2006  12:23 PM
I'd rather trade one of them for KMart then buy them out.
~You can't run from who you are.~
PresIke
USA
5/3/2006  12:35 PM
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by PresIke:

i'm going on the assumption that we'd swap one of those two for kmart since it makes the most sense for both teams.

You're right, it might make sense for both teams to make that kind of trade in their eyes, but it also doesn't to many critics. As you pointed out, The deals both Marbury and Francis have are shorter than K-Mart's so that has to weigh into the equation. Why not just keep them both until we can swing a deal that gets us the kinds of players that we need and are not HUGE risks like trading for a Martin? Now, I think trading for Martin COULD work if we could not only trade Marbury (my preference)but also get rid of contracts like James and/or Q (although I liked how he played sometimes) and we get other defensive minded and athletic players, both of which Denver might be willing to take. That way we aren't tied into as many big risks at once.

Marbury's and Francis' values are at rock bottom right now, so as terrible a pill as this may be to swallow, we might want to consider holding them until something else comes along. Of course a reason that is a risk is that we may very well concede our draft pick AGAIN next year if we finish worse than the Bulls, and by bringing back Marbury & Francis, we may see a repeat of last year's performance.

Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
5/3/2006  12:36 PM
For the love of God I want to be bought out!
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
5/3/2006  12:37 PM
I think a buy-out is a little extreme and hamstrings this franchise even more than it already is. You know Marbury and/or Francis would be signed immediately to the MLE or above, so why not look for a trade that benefits the team.

This site is getting harder to read when it's the same pouting over and over again. Yes, we had a bad season. These things happen. MY god.
¿ △ ?
Marv
5/3/2006  12:41 PM
This site is getting harder to read when it's the same pouting over and over again. Yes, we had a bad season. These things happen. MY god.

That's blasphemy!!!
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
How about we buy out Brwon and bring in Phil Jackson?
Marv
Posted by Killa4luv:

PresIke
USA
5/3/2006  12:57 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

I think a buy-out is a little extreme and hamstrings this franchise even more than it already is. You know Marbury and/or Francis would be signed immediately to the MLE or above, so why not look for a trade that benefits the team.

My sentiments, exactly.

djsunyc
5/3/2006  1:01 PM
Posted by Killa4luv:

he saw the roster
he saw the gm
he saw the media

and he said "i don't think so...."
djsunyc
5/3/2006  1:04 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

whatever steph or francis sign for are subtracted from what we owe them. if they're owed $18 mil and they sign a deal for $7 mil, then we only have to pay them $11 mil and the cap # is $11 mil.

anybody can be traded. but you have to make sure you don't further cripple your team by making a trade just to make a trade...i.e. steve francis.

if the option is kmart or buy out...i would choose buy out. it actually means there's a plan instead of the "i hope <insert player here> can stay healthy/happy" BS that forever haunts this team.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
5/3/2006  2:44 PM
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by crzymdups:

whatever steph or francis sign for are subtracted from what we owe them. if they're owed $18 mil and they sign a deal for $7 mil, then we only have to pay them $11 mil and the cap # is $11 mil.

anybody can be traded. but you have to make sure you don't further cripple your team by making a trade just to make a trade...i.e. steve francis.

if the option is kmart or buy out...i would choose buy out. it actually means there's a plan instead of the "i hope <insert player here> can stay healthy/happy" BS that forever haunts this team.
Why not give K-Mart time to see how he recovers. If he recovers well, keep him. If not, buy him out. The worst case scenario (a buyout) is equal to the scenario you're advocating (a buyout now). I would still pick neither if that were a poll option.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 05-03-2006 2:45 PM]
djsunyc
5/3/2006  2:47 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by crzymdups:

Why not give K-Mart time to see how he recovers. If he recovers well, keep him. If not, buy him out. The worst case scenario (a buyout) is equal to the scenario you're advocating (a buyout now). I would still pick neither if that were a poll option.

b/c he has two MORE years on the cap after marbury and francis expire.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
5/3/2006  3:09 PM
I still think the Hawks would take Marbury/Francis with the cap space they have. Remember Marvin Williams will eventually explode. His downside is probably Twan Jamison, and a decent PG would lighten things up for him. Now Tyrus Thomas isnt a center, but they could always trade down for an OBryant or Sheldon Williams, or just take Aldridge. If they could get a decent coach I think
pg Marbury or Francis
sg Joe Johnson
sf Josh Smith
pf Marvin Williams
c TyThomas/Aldridge/Obryant/Sheldon Williams

at the very worst would put fans back in the seats. It an experienced backcourt which really hurt them last year.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
buy out francis/marbury or trade for kmart?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy