KMart should be fully healed by the start of next season
Author Thread
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
5/3/2006  10:03 AM
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/14460840.htm
Martin has been frustrated all season as he has tried to come back from surgery in May. He's been ticked off at many within the Nuggets organization, whom he felt gave him assurances that his knee was better than it actually was. He was back on the court five months after the surgery instead of the normal 18, pushing himself to be ready for the playoffs.

It's also no secret that the Nuggets, with Karl's backing, shopped Martin before the trade deadline, getting close to a three-way deal with the New York Knicks and Orlando Magic that would have sent Martin to New York and guard Steve Francis to Denver.

One, Martin should be fully healed by the start of next season. And if a healthy Martin isn't quite as good as his contract, he's still one of the better defensive power forwards in the league. On one leg, he held his own with Elton Brand in the post throughout Game 1, giving the Nuggets a chance to steal it in the fourth quarter.

I'm telling you, this guy will be an impact player next season on both ends of the floor if the Knicks make this trade...

See ya Stevie... hello KMart!

After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
5/3/2006  10:20 AM
I guess... he's a bit of a baby also, but at least he plays defense. I would want something in else though.. like maybe we can dump JJ and take back Patterson.

I am 100% convinced that if KMart comes here it means the end of Frye's career as the starting PF for the Knicks
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
5/3/2006  10:24 AM
Posted by fishmike:

I am 100% convinced that if KMart comes here it means the end of Frye's career as the starting PF for the Knicks
You are right. If K-mart is crying about playing time in Denver, he will cry about it here. He is also making too much money to not start. Frye will have to suffer cause unlike Lee, he cannot move to the SF spot.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
5/3/2006  10:29 AM
the math is wrong... if he needs 18 months, and came back after 5, how is he going to be ready at the start of this next season... that still equals less than 18 months no matter how you look at it
fishmike
USA
5/3/2006  10:32 AM
KMart is a 35-40 minute a night player at PF. If you ever want to see Lee or Frye get minutes there dont make this move.

A typical Knicks move would be to send Francis to Denver for KMart and then send Frye/Marbury/our 2 #1s for Iverson

Your 2006-07 NEW YOUR KNICKS!!!!
Iverson
QRich
Lee
Kmart
Curry
bench: Crawford, JJ, Nate, Malik, QWoods, bla bla bla
TMS
USA
5/3/2006  10:32 AM
tell u the truth, i'm not all that crazy about the prospects of Channing Frye as our starting PF for the next 10 years anyway... he isn't as smart a basketball player as i thought he'd be coming out of college, & he also lacks some of the fire & heart that i want to see also... i'd rather hold onto David Lee & use Channing as a trade chip to improve the team in other areas if we can... he's got a whole lot of talent, but he reminds me an awful lot of Charles Smith... i want a nasty player banging down low... let's get back to the old 90's style Knicks basketball... defense, pride, heart... no more of this finesse crap.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
5/3/2006  10:35 AM
You can do serious long-term damage if you only allow yourself 30% of the necessary recovery time after such a serious injury and surgery. It's wishfull thinking that he's gonna be back an healthy next year. I haven't seen one player come back this quickly, have poor results, and then just need a few more months to heal.
TMS
USA
5/3/2006  10:36 AM
Posted by fishmike:

KMart is a 35-40 minute a night player at PF. If you ever want to see Lee or Frye get minutes there dont make this move.

A typical Knicks move would be to send Francis to Denver for KMart and then send Frye/Marbury/our 2 #1s for Iverson

Iverson
QRich
Lee
Kmart
Curry

are you kidding me? i'd sign up for those trades in a heartbeat... how many years were you & others pining for a true franchise star player, & then some of you thought you got it when we got Marbury... he's not even close to being on AI's level... the guy's 1 of the top 5 players in the game, i'd absolutely jump out of my shoes w/that deal... call me starphucker or not... it's a nobrainer.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
5/3/2006  10:37 AM
Posted by fishmike:

yup - had a nice long discussion with a friend of mine about this yesterday.

that franchise deal is crippling us now.
djsunyc
5/3/2006  10:41 AM
kmart has 5 years left on his deal. FIVE...at max money.

my goodness man...when is this madness going to stop? do you expect kmart to be anything more than a 16/7 player for us? microfracture is no joke. even if he's "healthy" like mcdyess, the dude will be a shell of his former self. and to rely on that for 82 games a season? yeah, frye will get his minutes but off the bench and probably not in the playoffs. you can't justify playing a 2nd year guy over your MAX PF.

this deal has red flags galore...and with the way things have been going on around here, how can ANYONE expect kmart to work out for us?

we are better off dumping franbury for 2 or 3 players that don't expire no later than them or just outright releasing them.

franbury for jwill and 2 year s&t posey - both come off the cap one year sooner than franbury. that's a better deal than this one b/c you can then dump jwill to atlanta if need be.

[Edited by - djsunyc on 05-03-2006 10:45 AM]
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
5/3/2006  10:46 AM
yeah dj got them been-down-so-long-it-looks-up-to-me realistic knick fan blues!!
djsunyc
5/3/2006  10:48 AM
Posted by Marv:

yeah dj got them been-down-so-long-it-looks-up-to-me realistic knick fan blues!!

dj's got them holy-schnikeys-we're-screwed knick fan blues!!
jazz74
Member: #371
5/3/2006  10:51 AM
Posted by fishmike:

Iverson
QRich
Lee
Kmart
Curry

actually, unless there is a major trade by a team in the conference, that lineup is a great one. but one thing i learned this season is that seaons are not played on paper. however we would be exponentially better defensive wise. that would make a difference.
TMS
USA
5/3/2006  11:01 AM
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by Marv:

dj's got them holy-schnikeys-we're-screwed knick fan blues!!

i got the "i'm sick of the gutless play of these gutless players who are an embarassment to the Knicks' uniform" blues.

[Edited by - TMS on 05-03-2006 11:01 AM]
fishmike
USA
5/3/2006  11:08 AM
we thought that about this year's line up. Point is its a line up made up of "stars" other teams dont want with injury problems and bad contracts. It would be Isiah's best line up, that I would agree, but I dont agree our philisophy is a sound one. I just think we need to be patient. Continue with youth and adding solid cost smart role players. Remember, Isiah touted Frye/Curry as the froncourt he was building around. So let him build around it, and see how good these guys can be.
TMS
USA
5/3/2006  11:16 AM
i don't think LB is happy w/that frontcourt to be honest... that may have been Isiah's vision, but his vision has long since lost its luster... i think the organization will go w/what LB wants from here on out... they have too much invested in LB not to give him what he thinks he'll need to get this team to contention... i think LB wants some gritty, hard nosed players on this team to teach some of the younger guys... it's a real shame this team wasted the Amnesty exception on JYD... he would have filled that role perfectly last season... i think this is why LB wants guys like KMart & Zo... he knows Curry & Frye are never going to be the tough inside players like he had in DET in Big Ben & Rasheed.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
5/3/2006  11:20 AM
this is still other people's sht--not saying we cant use a healthy [or atleast somewhat] healthy k-mart in a swap straight up for francis[got to pay someone right?] in a capacity, but I like the idea of going young and building our own. listen we got fcked by the vet moves----watching the bulls convinces me this is the way to go---our young guys will be vets by the time we are good. k-mart might end up as our mcdyess in the 2nd unit, which is fine--but i dont want to see this marry-go round continue. this BS that we add this guy and that guy doesnt work--remember we sck adding kmart wont change much bout that. go get me Obryant and Lowry from the draft--we need another 6-5+ SG that would give us 4 guards--if marbury and francuis are gonzo

ive come to the conclusion that we'd be better off without curry as well--even watching kwame--kwame can do other things--he seems like a much longer player i certainly wouldnt give eddy away like i would marbury and francis, but i think there should be a market for him

we need a more flexible-- tougher team with good character--we need to get rid of a lot and stay clear of the same sht in the future/
RIP Crushalot😞
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
5/3/2006  11:21 AM
Posted by TMS:

i don't think LB is happy w/that frontcourt to be honest... that may have been Isiah's vision, but his vision has long since lost its luster... i think the organization will go w/what LB wants from here on out... they have too much invested in LB not to give him what he thinks he'll need to get this team to contention... i think LB wants some gritty, hard nosed players on this team to teach some of the younger guys... it's a real shame this team wasted the Amnesty exception on JYD... he would have filled that role perfectly last season... i think this is why LB wants guys like KMart & Zo... he knows Curry & Frye are never going to be the tough inside players like he had in DET in Big Ben & Rasheed.

Speaking of waste, then why were those contracts and roster spots wasted on Francis and Rsse (Yes I know we will NEVER tire of having this conversation in perpetuity).

And JYD was too injured to play, plus really didn't give anything Malik didn't. JYD wouldn't have made any difference IMO.
TMS
USA
5/3/2006  11:32 AM
i honestly think the Francis trade was made just to get a trade chip to use in a deal for a player like KMart this offseason... the Rose trade i didn't quite understand, since i thought AD was a good influence on our younger players, but that's Isiah for you... we did need another scorer, & Jalen provided that in the beginning before he grew disenchanted w/LB & decided to joke around on the bench next to Marbury while the team was being blown out later in the year.
fishmike
USA
5/3/2006  11:34 AM
the Bulls are a good analogy. Lottery talent is nice, but we dont have 2 players like Nocioni and Duhon and they are FA and 2nd round. Lets build a style of play. Keep adding cost smart players with ood character, high IQ and play on both ends and see where that takes us. KMart and Iverson looks great on paper, but its more of the same thats gotten us here. I'm willing to watch some "less talented" guys play hard and smart for a couple years and see what happens.
KMart should be fully healed by the start of next season

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy