[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

LJ has trade value
Author Thread
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
8/29/2001  11:29 AM
Ok, so LJ having trade value might seem far fetched at first, but hear me out.

The LJ for Coleman article got me thinking. LJ's contract is unique. While it is big, the next 4 years his salary decreases from approximately 11.3M to 9.6M, 7.8M, 6.9M (team option). Keep in mind that most players contracts increase each year, eating up more cap space. LJ's does not.

I could see a team that wanted to free some cap space for the 2002-2003 season trading for LJ sometime during the 2001-2002 season. They could send out approx. 11M in salaries and get 2M in cap savings for the following year and even more the year after that.

One scenerio might be LJ for Big Country. Big Country's salaries over the next 3 years are: 11.5M, 13M, and 14.4M. That translates into a savings for the Grizzlies of 3.4M in 2002-03, and 6M in 2003-2004.

This is just one example...I'm not saying that Big Country is a good fit for NY at all, just that a scenerio like this could happen, and is attractive to other teams. Maybe we signed Spoon not because the Knicks were afraid that LJ would retire, but because they plan on trading him.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
AUTOADVERT
Andrew
USA
8/29/2001  12:18 PM
OK, the more I think about my example: LJ fo Big Country straight up, the more it makes sense.

The Knicks
The Knicks get a expensive yet servicable big man to fill in at center. Camby can play some PF and be saved from banging with the really big guys. We loose LJ, but how much on the court can he really contribute? Yes the Knicks pay more over the next 3 years, but both contracts come off the cap at the same time.

The Grizz
The Grizzlies get a locker room leader. They also get worse on the court, which is ok. First pick overall here they come. Most importantly they save 3.4M in cap space for 2002-03. Currently they are at 37M in salaries for 2002-03. This would push them down to 34M and at least 10M under the cap for that free agent signing season. A Max player along with their young guys would be nice.

Feel free to call me crazy, but it is starting to make sense.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
8/29/2001  1:00 PM
Posted by Andrew:

OK, the more I think about my example: LJ fo Big Country straight up, the more it makes sense.

The Knicks
The Knicks get a expensive yet servicable big man to fill in at center. Camby can play some PF and be saved from banging with the really big guys. We loose LJ, but how much on the court can he really contribute? Yes the Knicks pay more over the next 3 years, but both contracts come off the cap at the same time.

The Grizz
The Grizzlies get a locker room leader. They also get worse on the court, which is ok. First pick overall here they come. Most importantly they save 3.4M in cap space for 2002-03. Currently they are at 37M in salaries for 2002-03. This would push them down to 34M and at least 10M under the cap for that free agent signing season. A Max player along with their young guys would be nice.

Feel free to call me crazy, but it is starting to make sense.
crazy
Fordy74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #51
USA
8/29/2001  1:21 PM
2 years ago if you proposed LJ for Reeves I would say YOU IDIOT!!!!!!!!! but now it isnt so far-fetched. we would get some much needed size for a washed-up veteran who cant even rebound anymore.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
8/29/2001  1:38 PM
It does make sense, but we would need to hear the opinion of a Grizzlies fan. According to realgm trade checker, the deal does work straight up, but something tells me Memphis would want more.
Andrew
USA
8/29/2001  1:49 PM
Thats it. I got 2 people to agree with me so I'm calling Scott Layden. Now where did I put his number....?

Think of all the cool headlines the Post could come up with if Big Country came to the Big City. Thats just an added bonus.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
8/30/2001  12:44 AM
The more I look at Big country and his contract, the more I appreciate LJ and his horrible contract..

enuff said...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/30/2001  3:52 PM
Posted by tkf:

The more I look at Big country and his contract, the more I appreciate LJ and his horrible contract..

enuff said...

talk about horrible... just don't let you eyes wander down to the Allan Houston contract line either. Especially the 5th and 6th years.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
killacross
Member: #58
USA
9/2/2001  2:39 AM
trading lj and possibly knight for reeves and possibly another throw in would be a great deal. If anyone saw big country in college they would understand. We finally get our first true center since patrick.
ya cant stop me, you can only hope to contain me
martin
USA
9/2/2001  1:37 PM
I just caught this in the Philly Inquirer, reported by Stephen Smith:

Word is that Knicks forward Larry Johnson, due to receive $28.8 million over the next three years, is contemplating retirement, but might return because he's having financial troubles.

Seems like he and Longley have the same plan, take the money and then run.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
9/2/2001  3:10 PM
How can LJ have finacial problems? He's loaded just like the rest of the NBA players. Sounds like he isn't as smart with his money as he should be.
VG
Member: #68
Australia
9/3/2001  4:10 AM
Posted by Knixkik:

How can LJ have finacial problems? He's loaded just like the rest of the NBA players. Sounds like he isn't as smart with his money as he should be.

Yeah I think it's amazing LJ is in finacial trouble because I believe he signed an $82 million dollar contract. That means he's already received over $50 million and I'm sure he got more with sponsorship deals. Anyone remember when Kenny Anderson had trouble paying the insurance for his cars???
VG
Member: #68
Australia
9/3/2001  4:16 AM
Check out this article which talks about the possibility of a Coleman-LJ trade.http://www.journalnow.com/wsj/sports/MGBSK7RKVQC.html

[Edited by - VG on 09/03/2001 04:18:04]
weems26
Member: #70
USA
9/3/2001  10:44 AM
Posted by VG:

Check out this article which talks about the possibility of a Coleman-LJ trade.http://www.journalnow.com/wsj/sports/MGBSK7RKVQC.html

I feel that if we can buy LJ out and let him retire...we are much better off than bringing in Coleman (and a whole new set of problems).
mythfaze
Member: #106
9/3/2001  7:16 PM
Alright I'm sorry, what's the matter with you guys? LJ, the all star LJ, LJ four point play LJ, for Big Country? You have to be kidding me. Sure, LJ isn't what he used to be, now he's a smaller, stronger, slightly more talented and better dressed version of Luc Longley (that is an insult, if anyone was wondering) but you wanna trade him for Reeves? He's a fat Fredrick Veis. LJ's numbers are still better, he has a lot more talent, he got injured but that doesn't mean he's gonna be useless next year. If for no other reason, I don't want Reeves because of his hair cut and nick name (Big Country?). The only good thing that has been said about him is that his is less than LJ's (anyone think that there might be a reason behind that?) and that he is "servicable." It's thinking like this that got us Rice for Ewing.
martin
USA
9/3/2001  8:03 PM
Posted by mythfaze:

The only good thing that has been said about him is that his is less than LJ's (anyone think that there might be a reason behind that?) and that he is "servicable." It's thinking like this that got us Rice for Ewing.

The one advantage luggage like Big Country has over LJ in New York's scene of player rotation is that he is a big body that can play center. LJ, for all of his past accolades, can't play SF - he would take minutes away from Spree, Anderson, Witherspoon - and his time at power forward takes time away from Thomas (and in small part Othella) and gives the Knicks an undersized, out-rebounded lineup. With someone like Big Bad Haircut, you get a player who can clog the middle, back up Camby and bang with the likes of Shaq, Robinson, etc.
NYFAN4LIFE
Member: #65
USA
9/4/2001  1:53 AM
Posted by weems26:
Posted by VG:

I feel that if we can buy LJ out and let him retire...we are much better off than bringing in Coleman (and a whole new set of problems).

i would rather see Coleman as a Knick instead of Reeves or any other big man,except for Davis. Reason why Coleman cuz he can rebound n has good shooting range n body size that we need. Why Davis cuz he play's hard "D" n can rebound.
LJ has trade value

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy