[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The BlueSeats Manuscript: Steph...a Cancer?
Author Thread
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
4/28/2006  9:51 AM
Posted by Nalod:
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Nalod:

Any player with the opportunity to have both Larry Brown and Isiah Thomas as your mentor and you reject that gift is one stupid arrogant dump mofo!

that about sums it up i'd say... get this guy out of here... this team has gotten progressively worse ever since he got here.

Maybe Layden was fired becasue he would not pull the trigger on getting Marbury? Maybe Dolan had such a hard-on for him and a thirst for starphuching he had to get the ultimate starphuch GM to pull it off?

Could be a possibly, because Dolan wanted Marbury here before he got traded to the Nets. Layden had that deal on the table. All sides agree about that. I think Layden got let go because he got gun shy with some of the trades, Bosh hurt him bad because many of his scouts went behind his back to Mills about not making a move to try and get that pick from Toronto. Just trade the guy to Minny and be done with it.

As far as Isiah and Steph, Thomas took heat from the NY media when he was trying to show Marbury some things on the court. Remember how they got on him for disrespecting Lenny, especially the Mike and the Mad Dogg problem. Thomas apologized and said he wouldn't do that anymore. More over Brown asked Thomas not go to players like that.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
AUTOADVERT
McK1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #964
4/28/2006  10:45 AM
Layden didn't want to take on Penny's contract
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
4/28/2006  11:27 AM
i'm still waiting for the steph fans to chime in...but i'm not holding my breath.

nalod said it right. marbury blew it. dude have every chance in the world to change his rep...but he didn't. and his "starbury" comments was the final nail in the coffin for his new york era. over 200 nba players were polled, and steph was voted "most overrated"...not a good sign...FOR a point guard.

isiah hitched his star to the wrong wagon...and it looks like it may have cost this franchise 2 years.
eViL
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #561
USA
4/28/2006  11:52 AM
How do you guys know it's Steph that is the problem and not every one of Steph's past and present teammates and coaches? You guys are quick to rule out all the possibilities. Your obvious bias against Steph discredits everything.
check out my latest hip hop project: https://soundcloud.com/michaelcro http://youtu.be/scNXshrpyZo
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
4/28/2006  11:58 AM
Hey guys. Here I am, and here it goes.

I don't have the muckracking skills to dig up articles in the same way and I could off the top of my head to mention the praise he has been given by coaches such as scott skiles & Flip Saunders. I could also point out parts of those posts where there were not quotes, but comments by the reporters, and I guess we should take that as fact. BUT, I wont do any of that because, imo, it is not necessary.

I want to teach you all something about logic. I have tried to argue using logic against many of you emotional & irrational thinkers, all season long, to no avail. Perhaps I can use this oppurtunity to bolster my claims to intelectual superiority. LOL! No, but I would like to use this as an example of how one ought to respond when confronted with solid evidence.

First I'd like to say this case that is being made is much stronger than the "everywhere he leaves gets better" argument because that argument does not withstand scrutiny. Although I do see how this particular argument could be used to bolster that claim. What is apparent to me is that Steph has had some strained relationships with some of his former teammates. He seems to have responded immaturely in situations and there are signs he has not taken responsibility for his actions. I would say the evidence of strained relationships is overwhelming. Many of the other claims being made are weak 3rd party conjecture, but I would say they are bolstered mainly by the apparent fact that he has not been good at maintaining relationships with several players.

I never defended many of those things, because its not who I am, and its not how I think people should conduct themselves. I manage to get along with nearly everyone, it really isn't that hard, but I realize that for some it is, and apparently Steph is one of those people.

But even when I read things like what has been posted, I read it with a critical eye. I read actual quotes from players and coaches and that holds some weight with me. I read opinions of sportswriters and write it off. Having said that, I remember guys giving credibility to Kurt Thomas' & Tim Thomas' claims about not getting the ball and having a pg that shoots too much. Well, I watch damn near every game, so regardless of how they feel about, I form my own opinion based on what I see in front of me. I can't take either one of those guys seriously with that. To me, thats more reflective of KT & Steph's strained relationship, and Tim's overall fugazyness.

In Phoenix I can mainly only go by what players say, and statistics, because I didn't see many games. When I hear Marion speak, and I look at the stats, I see inconsistancies. Marion's stats are nearly identical in every way now to when Steph was there. The major difference is fg%. This difference means that when he says he had to work harder to score, it seems true. This also would lead me to the conclusion that J. Kidd, and Steve Nash are better passers than Steph. I agree with that assessment. When I see Amare's rookie year stats, his touches and ppg seem appropriate.

In NJ, I saw a fair amount of games. I saw Kenyon play, but my feelings are that he is not realy such a talented player period. Nevertheless, in his rookie season with Steph he averaged 12 and 7rebs with about 11 shots per game. That seems appropriate to me for a rookie, especially a player of his calibur. during his height with the nets he average 16 and 5. He may not have gotten along with Steph, and perhaps that was Stephs fault, but claims of him being held back or not getting enough shots, don't seem credible to me.

But overall, with the Knicks, when I have seen what happens at each and every game (about 90-95% of the games) I definitely cannot take seriously what any of these players say. The bottom line is they have not performed. They have missed shots, blew assignments, and played below their ppotential. This season, more than any other, I saw Steph playing at the top of his game. I saw him playing defense, giving it all guarding guys like Kobe Bryant. I saw him trying to adapt to LB's wishes. I saw him talking to players on the court. I saw him cheering teammates on. I saw him trying to do what was asked, and figure this thing out. I saw him being criticized for the team's failure, and did not see it to be his fault. I saw a coach bashing him in the paper even as it was CLEAR that he was trying to do things differently. Then I finally saw some of the other players step up more or less consistantly and we began to win. Then he got hurt, came back injured, played hurt the rest of the season, and we were back to square one as no one else stepped up, until it was much too late. He played more games (1 or 2 more)in the month of March (after the injury) than he did in any other month and his overall numbers were down in every statistical category.

Its like LB's history, his winning percentage and history is one thing, what happened here is another. I was happay LB was here, but as I watched things unfold, I saw things happening that I held him directly accountable for. Steph, I don't know about his relationships with players on this team. I know he and Kurt didn't get along, but I also know they played very well together. I knew Q and Steph were going to get into it, but I can't see what that has to do with Q or Steph's play. From all accounts that I have read, the team gets along fabulously. In fact, it has been a complaint that they were too jovial in losses.

So, in conclusion, Stephs history is checkered, he appears to not be the best communicator. He definitely has not been a good leader. But I base my life on the premise that human beings always have the potential to change and grow. I believe Steph has displayed his willingness to do those things especially this season. I don't think he is finished in that process, and I still have hope that he will grow, and thrive while making the knicks a better team.

Sorry this is so long.

TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
4/28/2006  12:09 PM
Killa, that was an intelligent, well-thought out, lucid explanation...

OVERRULED!

just curious, when you were watching Stephon giving it all on defense, if you also saw scrubs like Milt Palacio & Tyronn Lue being made to look like Allen Iverson on the court while he was guarding them on an alarmingly regular basis? did you also see Steph barking at teammates for late rotations & rolling his eyes every time he got beat off the dribble on the perimeter? did you also see Steph failing to hustle back on transition defense because he tried to force a shot penetrating into the lane & was too busy arguing about the noncall from the ref? just curious, cuz i saw alot of that the past couple years.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
djsunyc
4/28/2006  12:17 PM
killa, i'm gald you responded...but i'll put it to you this way...

when india was under the rule of the british, india was in a better financial situation. british goods and services were far superior to india's at the time...but ultimately, that didn't matter. the mere presence of the british in india didn't give indians a feeling of freedom and pride. indians weren't allowed to live in a country they called their own. so despite the financial ramifications, which would hurt india more than help, a country of over 500 million people, led by mahatma gandhi went about acquiring their country back, and their freedom.

point being that yes, while you can measure the loss of the british leaving by financial statements, you can not measure the personal feeling and happiness of the indian people. so as time went by, india was able to build up it's economy and in due time, india is now becoming one of the bigger economic powers in the world.

so REGARDLESS of the stats steph puts up, REGARDLESS of the stats his teammates may have accrued while he was their point guard, the fact is that players ARE happier when he leaves...and as a result...the team performs better. "empty stats"
I have tried to argue using logic against many of you emotional & irrational thinkers

your argument for steph is based on "potential to change and grow" and what you see. how is that not any more emotional than what his critics are saying? you "FEEL" he has that potential. you "FEEL" that he displayed willingness. FEELING is an emotion.
Its like LB's history, his winning percentage and history is one thing, what happened here is another

as for lb - his history in a rebuilding situation says his first year is the worst. the team gets better in the 2nd year and takes off in the 3rd. so far, lb's history IS holding up here.

addition by subtraction. that is the legacy of stephon marbury's nba career.

[Edited by - djsunyc on 04-28-2006 12:19 PM]
Killa4luv
USA
4/28/2006  12:26 PM
Posted by TMS:

Killa, that was an intelligent, well-thought out, lucid explanation...

OVERRULED!

just curious, when you were watching Stephon giving it all on defense, if you also saw scrubs like Milt Palacio & Tyronn Lue being made to look like Allen Iverson on the court while he was guarding them on an alarmingly regular basis? did you also see Steph barking at teammates for late rotations & rolling his eyes every time he got beat off the dribble on the perimeter? did you also see Steph failing to hustle back on transition defense because he tried to force a shot penetrating into the lane & was too busy arguing about the noncall from the ref? just curious, cuz i saw alot of that the past couple years.
Yes, I saw most of those things, although I do think you are exaggerating. I saw him late on defense because of arguing with an official 1 time. I am talking about this year that just passed and I saw way more positive than that stuff this past season, but I did see some of those things as well. The difference with me is, I am honest. When I discuss LB, all people ever say is, well he is a hall of fame coach and yadda yadda ya. I see folks drool over Crawford who is probably one of the worst defenders in the history of the NBA, who had a great last 12 games after we were mathmatically elimanated from the cance of being a real NBA team. I read about Nate (who everybody loves) celebrating when he scores and we're down 20, and have read about him fighting several teammates. So yes, I am willing to honestly and objectively discuss Steph's strengths and weaknesses, I just very rarely get reciprocated.

TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
4/28/2006  12:36 PM
i'm trying to understand what any of those other players have to do w/an honest & objective discussion about Stephon Marbury... naturally when you're the highest paid player on the team, who's also the most talented, you're going to be held to a much higher standard... if you don't think so, ask Allan Houston how much flack he took over the years from fans of the Knicks... the difference there was that Allan wasn't the arrogant primadonna that Marbury is, which only increases the flack that Marbury's going to take, most of which is brought upon himself w/his idiotic comments & immaturity.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
BlueSeats
Alba Posts: 41
Member: #1024

4/28/2006  12:47 PM
I don't know what's so complicated about it all. Steph's teams do okay when comraderie is high, but for various reasons that seem mostly centered around a sense of self-entitlement, divisions arise between players and coaches an the players themselves and Steph is always smack in the middle of it. They conclude steph is a disruption and distraction and there is little possibility of progress with him in the mix.

Now it's true that trading him has resulted in some very good talent coming back, which helps account for the surge in success after his departure, but I think it's the sense of no possible progress with him that is the defining issue.
eViL
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #561
USA
4/28/2006  12:50 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

when india was under the rule of the british, india was in a better financial situation. british goods and services were far superior to india's at the time...but ultimately, that didn't matter. the mere presence of the british in india didn't give indians a feeling of freedom and pride. indians weren't allowed to live in a country they called their own. so despite the financial ramifications, which would hurt india more than help, a country of over 500 million people, led by mahatma gandhi went about acquiring their country back, and their freedom.

point being that yes, while you can measure the loss of the british leaving by financial statements, you can not measure the personal feeling and happiness of the indian people. so as time went by, india was able to build up it's economy and in due time, india is now becoming one of the bigger economic powers in the world.

so REGARDLESS of the stats steph puts up, REGARDLESS of the stats his teammates may have accrued while he was their point guard, the fact is that players ARE happier when he leaves...and as a result...the team performs better. "empty stats"
I have tried to argue using logic against many of you emotional & irrational thinkers

your argument for steph is based on "potential to change and grow" and what you see. how is that not any more emotional than what his critics are saying? you "FEEL" he has that potential. you "FEEL" that he displayed willingness. FEELING is an emotion.
Its like LB's history, his winning percentage and history is one thing, what happened here is another

as for lb - his history in a rebuilding situation says his first year is the worst. the team gets better in the 2nd year and takes off in the 3rd. so far, lb's history IS holding up here.

Good ish, Deej...
check out my latest hip hop project: https://soundcloud.com/michaelcro http://youtu.be/scNXshrpyZo
Killa4luv
USA
4/28/2006  1:02 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

Funny how you never take the emotions or feelings of players into account when you are talking about Larry Brown. I guess thats because Larry Brown is their surrogate daddy and no matter how irrational, or disruptive his actions are, they are excusable. Also, when taling about Larry Brown, you say they should suck it up, they are professionals making millions to perform regardless. Well I would say the same thing. Except it has to be applicable across the board or not. No riding the fence.

As for emotions. My position about Steph is 99% about what I see on the court. Its not about how articulate he is, or how he teaches blind kids on his days off, its about how he performs on the court, and I think he does a good job far more oftne than not on court.

My aspect of seeing potential to grow is based on an overall philosophy of life. My perspective on his potential is based on what I see on the court and what I believe his desire to win is. It is logical, though not necasarily correct. That is my position. LB's history and reputation is not nearly as lop-sided as you seem to believe, but thats really another thread. I judge him based on what he did as a Knick coach, not based on what he did with the Pacers 10 years ago, I am not a Pacer fan.

[Edited by - killa4luv on 04-28-2006 1:11 PM]
Killa4luv
USA
4/28/2006  1:05 PM
Posted by TMS:

i'm trying to understand what any of those other players have to do w/an honest & objective discussion about Stephon Marbury... naturally when you're the highest paid player on the team, who's also the most talented, you're going to be held to a much higher standard... if you don't think so, ask Allan Houston how much flack he took over the years from fans of the Knicks... the difference there was that Allan wasn't the arrogant primadonna that Marbury is, which only increases the flack that Marbury's going to take, most of which is brought upon himself w/his idiotic comments & immaturity.

I mainly agree with you, he's held to a higher standard and ought to be. I don't think he brought most of it on himself, but I agree he makes it harder on himself than it needs to be.
Killa4luv
USA
4/28/2006  1:09 PM
Posted by BlueSeats:

I don't know what's so complicated about it all. Steph's teams do okay when comraderie is high, but for various reasons that seem mostly centered around a sense of self-entitlement, divisions arise between players and coaches an the players themselves and Steph is always smack in the middle of it. They conclude steph is a disruption and distraction and there is little possibility of progress with him in the mix.
I dont konw about exactly why the divisions arise, but the do, and it has been something which has followed him so its logical to say he's a huge part of it. Not to mention he has been the best player (and leader by virtue of that fact) on those teams so it makes sense that the turmoil is largely his fault, OR his obligation to handle.
Now it's true that trading him has resulted in some very good talent coming back, which helps account for the surge in success after his departure, but I think it's the sense of no possible progress with him that is the defining issue.
"no possible progress" seems like a reach to me, but obviously turmoil can be problematic as far as progress is concerned. Just curious, when the coach is a huge part of turmoil, is said coach at fault at all, or is he absolved because of his position and/or track record.
djsunyc
4/28/2006  1:18 PM
Posted by Killa4luv:

As for emotions. My position about Steph is 99% about what I see on the court. Its not about how articulate he is, or how he teaches blind kids on his days off, its about how he performs on the court, and I think he does a good job far more oftne than not on court.

right, but 99% of the problem with steph is OFF the court.
djsunyc
4/28/2006  1:20 PM
Posted by Killa4luv:

Funny how you never take the emotions or feelings of players into account when you are talking about Larry Brown.

it's real simple to me. lb has a resume to give him the benefit of the doubt. former players hated him...but succeeded under him. that's what i'm doing, giving him the benefit of the doubt based on his resume. can i be wrong? of course i can. can he be senile? yup. but as of right now, he gets the benefit of the doubt. and that's why he didn't get fired.

[Edited by - djsunyc on 04-28-2006 1:23 PM]
BlueSeats

4/28/2006  1:32 PM
Posted by Killa4luv:

but obviously turmoil can be problematic as far as progress is concerned. Just curious, when the coach is a huge part of turmoil, is said coach at fault at all, or is he absolved because of his position and/or track record.

of course the coach must be held accountable too. and the gm and owner. but of all of them larry has been here the shortest time.
Killa4luv
USA
4/28/2006  1:32 PM
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by Killa4luv:

Funny how you never take the emotions or feelings of players into account when you are talking about Larry Brown.

it's real simple to me. lb has a resume to give him the benefit of the doubt. former players hated him...but succeeded under him. that's what i'm doing, giving him the benefit of the doubt based on his resume. can i be wrong? of course i can. can he be senile? yup. but as of right now, he gets the benefit of the doubt. and that's why he didn't get fired.

[Edited by - djsunyc on 04-28-2006 1:23 PM]

All of this is true, but when you see former players and teams do better after he leaves, like Indiana and Detroit, that doesn't cause you to ask why? My thing is, no amount of previous success is going to make me ignore what I see in front of my eyes, but I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this. No matter what happens, if we have the exact same team next year, we're gonna be 10 games better, so this "he always does bad in the first year" is a self fulfilling prophecy. OF course were gonna do better next year, there is no concievable way we could do this poorly again.
Killa4luv
USA
4/28/2006  1:34 PM
Posted by BlueSeats:
Posted by Killa4luv:

but obviously turmoil can be problematic as far as progress is concerned. Just curious, when the coach is a huge part of turmoil, is said coach at fault at all, or is he absolved because of his position and/or track record.

of course the coach must be held accountable too. and the gm and owner. but of all of them larry has been here the shortest time.

Yes he has, but arguably has been the most divisive. I hold Isiah accountable for some of his decsions as well, but thats another thread. If you start it I'll join it. No one needs to talk about Dolan. Someone find a timeline of all of the trades made by Isiah since he got here, and lets talk about that.
BlueSeats

4/28/2006  1:40 PM
Posted by Killa4luv:
Posted by BlueSeats:
Posted by Killa4luv:

Yes he has, but arguably has been the most divisive. I hold Isiah accountable for some of his decsions as well, but thats another thread. If you start it I'll join it. No one needs to talk about Dolan. Someone find a timeline of all of the trades made by Isiah since he got here, and lets talk about that.

that's easily gotten from hoopshype, but it irrelevant to this thread.

The BlueSeats Manuscript: Steph...a Cancer?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy