Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/28/2006  8:48 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by eViL:
Posted by Nalod:

When you break down the defense and distribute the ball EFFECTIVELY, then your the "seasonist" and make your other players "taste better".

Thanks for the laugh bro. That was hilarious.
Everything already tastes good to Big Game James!

(CRICKET)

ONe too many James eating jokes.
AUTOADVERT
tomverve
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #878
4/28/2006  12:33 PM
Dude, this is ridiculous. Stockton was a great player, but he played with the other "best power forward ever to play the game." I don't recall many other players on the team looking great because of Stockton. Watch a Suns game before you post something like this, and then get back to me.

It's hard to decide the relative impacts Stockton and Malone had on their Jazz teams since they pretty much played the entirety of their careers together. On the other hand, nobody even dreamed of thinking of Nash as an MVP candidate until he switched to the Suns in D'Antoni's system. It's pretty obvious that Nash just looks a lot better by virtue of playing for D'Antoni, whereas it's not nearly as obvious to what extent Stockton/Malone looked better by virtue of playing with eachother.

All that aside, watch a Suns game for me and tell me how Nash compares on the defensive end to the runaway NBA career leader in steals. An MVP who plays no D is no MVP at all.
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
4/28/2006  1:22 PM
Posted by oohah:
Posted by Killa4luv:
Posted by bigpimpin:
Posted by McK1:

whe you lead a team to a + 30 turnaround in the win column 60 victories total, and a division crown, kinda hard to argue against him not winning

Kidd didn't win it. So by that accord -- neither should have the Canadian

which was my point. Kidd did it with better stats AND went to the finals twice!!! Nash shouldnt have gotten it last year, but this year I say yes. Suns shoulda sucked without Amare and the barely missed a step with only Marion and role players. Nash has made me a believer.

Yes, Kidd was totally hosed.

oohah

And Kidd was a fierce defender.
Killa4luv
USA
4/28/2006  1:24 PM
Posted by tomverve:
Posted by Nalod:

THe argument for Nash statistically is they have 3 new starters this year, and they have four players all having career years.

Nash had a career year last season, and he wasn't just playing with 3 new starters-- he was playing with a whole new team. Before then it was inconceivable that a player of Nash's caliber would ever be considered for MVP. Why the leap? Among other things, he came to a new system, coach D'Antoni's system, which was ideally suited to his talents and the talents of others. So how can one so readily credit Nash with all the glory for his team's play? How do we know that Boris Diaw, for instance, wouldn't have had a fantastic breakout season in D'Antoni's system even without Nash? After all, D'Antoni's system is a large part of what made the difference for Nash himself in the first place.

This is just to say that the analyses of Nash's effect on his team that I've seen are almost universally too simplistic and naive. No doubt Nash has a huge impact on his team's level of play, but so does their coach, so does Marion, etc. Nash deserves a lot of credit, but not all of it-- a large chunk of Nash's share probably rightfully belongs to D'Antoni, and to a lesser extent, his still underrated teammates like Marion and Diaw.

On balance, I see Nash on a par with Billups as far as MVP candidacy goes-- firmly second tier. He has no business winning it this season and had no business winning it last season. Simply put, if Nash really deserved to win MVP this season over Dirk, Kobe, LeBron, and Wade, then Stockton was robbed of several MVP awards in his day by his contemporaries. The gap between this season's top players and the MVPs of the early/mid 90s is not as big as the gap between Nash and Stockton, since Stockton matched Nash's prowess on offense while actually playing defense as well. Nash at best is half the player Stockton was. Fantastic player, but not an MVP.

I do think overall that Nash gets too much of the credit. The only real 2 way MVP candidate is Kobe Bryant and Dirk Nowitski plays some d now too. Its a different game now.
McK1
Member: #964
4/28/2006  1:32 PM
thats like saying Manning doesn't deserve it because of the offensive freedom of the system. In the end you still have to have the IQ and skill set to learn lead and execute whats being given.

most famous s ystem in sports has to be the West Coast offense

several teams have tried it with several quarterbacks yet only 3 since Walsh introduced it have mastered it and made it as unstoppable on the field as it is on paper - Montana Young and Favre.

its a symbiotic relationship which is why D'Antoni was recognized as COY.

Shaun Marion isn't winning it despite being a statistical monster because Marion doesn't have the ability to create shots for the 5 or 6 other suns having career years this year or for the 3 that had career years last year.

If there was an Utility Man of the year Award Shaun Richard Jefferson and Howard would likely be 1 2 and 3 every year.

MVP is the guy most key to the VICTORY and for the suns that is Nash.

[Edited by - McK1 on 04-28-2006 1:34 PM]
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
Killa4luv
USA
4/28/2006  1:40 PM
Posted by McK1:

thats like saying Manning doesn't deserve it because of the offensive freedom of the system. In the end you still have to have the IQ and skill set to learn lead and execute whats being given.

most famous s ystem in sports has to be the West Coast offense

several teams have tried it with several quarterbacks yet only 3 since Walsh introduced it have mastered it and made it as unstoppable on the field as it is on paper - Montana Young and Favre.

its a symbiotic relationship which is why D'Antoni was recognized as COY.

Shaun Marion isn't winning it despite being a statistical monster because Marion doesn't have the ability to create shots for the 5 or 6 other suns having career years this year or for the 3 that had career years last year.

If there was an Utility Man of the year Award Shaun Richard Jefferson and Howard would likely be 1 2 and 3 every year.

MVP is the guy most key to the VICTORY and for the suns that is Nash.

[Edited by - McK1 on 04-28-2006 1:34 PM]
You know, when you aren't talking about Marbury, you can put a couple of thoughts together, huh?
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
4/30/2006  6:59 PM
Posted by Bobby:
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by Bobby:

if kobe has anything to say about who's the mvp may be decided in lakers/suns series

Kobe was the reason the Lakers lost game 1 and the Lakers are playing better with Kobe on the bench right now. I think Bron has played the Kobe game better than Kobe this season.

blame kobe for lakers lost?....i dont think so. officiating was suns best player. if kobe shoots 50% or better from the field lakers win if you must nit-pick

the opera lady is about to sing..... btw, kobe shot for something like 64%

"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
holfresh
Member: #1081

4/30/2006  7:55 PM
Posted by tomverve:
Posted by Nalod:

THe argument for Nash statistically is they have 3 new starters this year, and they have four players all having career years.

Nash had a career year last season, and he wasn't just playing with 3 new starters-- he was playing with a whole new team. Before then it was inconceivable that a player of Nash's caliber would ever be considered for MVP. Why the leap? Among other things, he came to a new system, coach D'Antoni's system, which was ideally suited to his talents and the talents of others. So how can one so readily credit Nash with all the glory for his team's play? How do we know that Boris Diaw, for instance, wouldn't have had a fantastic breakout season in D'Antoni's system even without Nash? After all, D'Antoni's system is a large part of what made the difference for Nash himself in the first place.

This is just to say that the analyses of Nash's effect on his team that I've seen are almost universally too simplistic and naive. No doubt Nash has a huge impact on his team's level of play, but so does their coach, so does Marion, etc. Nash deserves a lot of credit, but not all of it-- a large chunk of Nash's share probably rightfully belongs to D'Antoni, and to a lesser extent, his still underrated teammates like Marion and Diaw.

On balance, I see Nash on a par with Billups as far as MVP candidacy goes-- firmly second tier. He has no business winning it this season and had no business winning it last season. Simply put, if Nash really deserved to win MVP this season over Dirk, Kobe, LeBron, and Wade, then Stockton was robbed of several MVP awards in his day by his contemporaries. The gap between this season's top players and the MVPs of the early/mid 90s is not as big as the gap between Nash and Stockton, since Stockton matched Nash's prowess on offense while actually playing defense as well. Nash at best is half the player Stockton was. Fantastic player, but not an MVP.

I agree with you totally...Not to mention most here who kill Steph for not playing D...Nash is just as bad defensively if not worst...Stockton was a fierce defender as well...I just think Nash winning it over Dirk, Kobe, or LeBron is just ridiculous...

SlimPack
Member: #1009
USA
4/30/2006  8:49 PM
has there ever been an mvp that didnt make it past the first round?
McK1
Member: #964
4/30/2006  9:37 PM
95% of the board had Nash failing with no Amare similar to Stiph.

whether he should have won the MVP over Kobe over Dirk is debatable.

Mentioning him and Stiph for any reason at this point deserves a big STFU!
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
tomverve
Member: #878
5/1/2006  12:48 AM
Phoenix wildly outpaced most preseason expectations, but again, crediting Nash for all that automatically doesn't fly. Unless you're a professional sports writer, apparently.
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
Killa4luv
USA
5/1/2006  12:59 AM
Posted by SlimPack:

has there ever been an mvp that didnt make it past the first round?

Theres about to be 1.
Report: Nash wins MVP

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy