[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Trade Talks
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
8/26/2001  9:45 PM
The Timberwolves are not close to making a trade. But there is some trade talk and the Wolves are part of it.
The Wolves, Chicago, Seattle and New York have tossed around some possible scenarios, but they are extremely complicated and therefore unlikely to be completed.
Wally Szczerbiak and Terrell Brandon are the focus of talks on the Wolves' end, with Szczerbiak ultimately headed to Chicago, possibly through a trade with Seattle for Gary Payton. The Szczerbiak scenario would include Brandon, who would be traded by Seattle to the Knicks. Complicating an acquisition of Payton is a trade clause in his contract that would require the acquiring team to pay him a $3 million bonus soon after the deal. Another problem is the Knicks don't have anybody the Wolves are seeking. For Szczerbiak, the Bulls are dangling Marcus Fizer, Ron Artest and Ron Mercer. The Pioneer Press reported the Bulls could have made a trade for Szczerbiak had they not traded Elton Brand to the Clippers in June. The Wolves would have taken Brand.

It sounds unlikely, but pretty interesting. Here's the link.

http://www.pioneerplanet.com/sports/scl_docs/119250.htm
AUTOADVERT
Caseloads
Member: #41
8/27/2001  1:16 AM
Guys, I worked this out. It took about an hour to figure out, but this is the trade, and it works
New York trades: Mark Jackson $3,860,000 to Seattle
New York trades: Charlie Ward $5,500,000 to Chicago (plus Trade Kicker $900,000)
New York trades: Othella Harrington $2,475,000 to Chicago
TOTAL: $11,835,000

Seattle trades: Gary Payton $12,926,493 to Minnesota (plus Trade Kicker $1,938,973)
TOTAL: $12,926,493

Minnesota trades: Wally Szczerbiak $2,313,240 to Chicago
Minnesota trades: William Avery $1,375,920 to New York
Minnesota trades: Terrell Brandon $9,250,000 to New York
TOTAL: $12,939,160

Chicago trades: Ron Mercer $6,750,000 to Seattle
Chicago trades: AJ Guyton $465,850 to New York
Chicago trades: Marcus Fizer $2,754,120 to Seattle
Chicago trades: Ron Artest $1,241,760 to Seattle
TOTAL: $11,211,730

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to New York and Minnesota being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. New York and Minnesota had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

New York would also receive a trade exception of $743,230 with this trade. This would have to be used within one calendar year from the date of this trade.

Be aware that this exception will be extinguished if the team which possesses it falls below the cap by the combined amount of the exceptions it currently possesses.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have been assigned REAL GM Trade ID number 373331
Caseloads
8/27/2001  1:36 AM
Commentary on the trade -

Why it works:

NY:
Dealing Harrington get's some relief at PF depth, we can sign Mike Wright and still have nice depth with Thomas, 'Spoon, LJ, Wright at the 4 spot.

Charlie Ward and Jax are redundant with the addition of Brandon(the PG that JVG has always wanted), and we get 2 3'rd string PG's in Avery and Guyton to develop as upgrades over Brunson.

Seattle:

Get's rid of GP and gets back a motherlode in young talent - Mark Jax (a replacement PG until Shammond is ready to take over in Seattle), Ron Mercer, their starting 2 until Desmond is ready, Fizer, their starting 4, Ron Ron (artest), a backup SF/SG.

Seattle could sport a lineup of:
Mark Jax/Shammond
Ron Mercer/Desmond Mason
Lewis/Vladamir/Artest
Fizer/Baker/Vlad
Booth/Baker

Minny:

They get GP for Brandon, Szczerbiak and Avery and get to the 2nd round of the playoffs for the 1st time.

Chi-town:

Yes, they give up alot, but they get their man in Wally. Plus they have commitments made to new players on their roster - ERob - that he will play SG (meaning Mercer has to go). And Chandler is going to become the next PF - Fizer is out. And Artest has a nasty attitude - he's gone too. Chicago picks up Ward, who is a good backup PG and leader and trade fodder and a suitable player in Harrington.

Why it doesn't:

Chicago - gives up too much.
Seattle - worried that the fans will abandon the team if they trade GP. Plus they will want picks and cash too (they'll pull a Houston Rockets and demand more).
Knicks - trade away the 2 PG's and a PF for 3 little guys. Where is the back up center in all of this?
Minny - no reason not to make this trade to get GP, plus clears room for KG at the 3, Felipe at the 2, and Smith at the 4 (w/ Woods at the 5).

Comments?
VG
Member: #68
Australia
8/27/2001  5:33 AM
That's a great trade for all the teams involved. New York would do this trade in a heartbeat, Chicago is desperate to get Wally (they've offered Fizer and Artest for him), Minnesota gets rid of Waly who deosn't get along with KG and Seatlle get young players for Payton.
Knixkik
USA
8/27/2001  10:42 AM
New York and Seattle would do it in a second and Minny gets a pretty decent deal too, but i'm not sure about chicago. Maybe if we threw in a future pick(which i wouldn't mind doing in a deal like this) they would consider. We would be awsome.
Caseloads
8/28/2001  6:52 PM
Posted by Knixkik:

New York and Seattle would do it in a second and Minny gets a pretty decent deal too, but i'm not sure about chicago. Maybe if we threw in a future pick(which i wouldn't mind doing in a deal like this) they would consider. We would be awsome.
Andrew, Martin, comments?
vysions
Member: #39
USA
8/28/2001  7:49 PM
I must be missing something here. But where does getting 2-3rd string
PG's and Brandon get us any size in the frontcourt to help our
rebounding?? This really does not answer our needs which is why Layden might do it. Create another BUNCH at the PG...except lesser. Brandon, Eisley, Guyton and Avery. I must be missing something.
However, this is how Layden thinks and could be real actually.
He never addresses the needs just overfills positions we already have.
Knixkik
USA
8/28/2001  8:39 PM
Assuming we deal Jax and Ward and receive Brandon, we are making an excellent trade. No we're not getting bigger, but most Knicks fans have said the point guard should be improved before the center/power forward. We clear up a point guard glut and at the same time trade two decent point guards for one really good one. I don't care if we ever get a good back-up center as long as we do this trade. If we can't get it done, then it's time to focus on getting a center once again.

By the way, Andrew and Martin; where ya at?

[Edited by - Knixkik on 08/28/2001 20:40:38]
RemBee76
Member: #89
USA
8/28/2001  9:48 PM
Maybe I am missing something but couldn't Seattle, Minny and Chicago come up with a way to do this themselves? How is New York adding anything to the deal? We give up Jackson, Ward and Harrington for Brandon, Guyton and Avery? Hell yes I would do this deal, but we are just tagging along in it.
Its like a groupie website, or bitter ex-wives club. -Sebstar
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/28/2001  11:18 PM
Posted by Knixkik:

By the way, Andrew and Martin; where ya at?

I'm living large on an end of summer vaca, sipping tropical drinks by the ocean side, dreaming up some LA Clip-Chicago-NYK trade scenerios. I'll be back with a vengence in a few. BTW, the cross country plane ride has given me the time to think up some cool stuff for the site. But maybe this message should be in another forum or i'll be moderated by that other moderator. check you guys out later.

martin
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Trade Talks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy