[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Our big 3
Author Thread
nyballer
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #108
USA
8/25/2002  1:13 PM
When i look around at the other elite teams in the league i realize that most of them have 2 stars and a good supporting cast. I think that we will be in good shape next year because McDyess, if healthy, is a star, without a doubt. he's up there with the webbers, garnetts, duncans, o'neals (jermaine), in my opinion. Teams like sac have webber-peja, the nets have jkidd-kmart, san antonio has duncan-smith, la has kobe-shaq. I think with McDyess as star #1, Spree and Houston combined are better than players like kidd, kmart, smith, and even kobe. I think what you need to ask is what players would you trade bOTH spree and houston for (regardless of contract issues). the only one i would trade for is shaq, and maybe duncan. I think with our team and maybe if we get van exel, we will be in excellent shape
"easy like sunday morning..." - walt clyde
AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
8/25/2002  2:22 PM
We are very strong at three positions thanks to our big three. However, most of the other teams you mentioned have two great players, but are also solid at every other position. We have yet to get that far. Kurt Thomas is a very good player and a very good power forward. Is he a very good center? I doubt it, but if he can contribute and put up good numbers and be consistant thats all that matters. As of right now we are very weak at point guard. We have no solid starters and no one that can draw attention from the offense. Hopefully Frank Williams can do that, but we won't find out for awhile. If he can develop into a solid starter this year than we'll be alright at that position. I also think we need to see more of Othella Harrington and less of Clarence Weatherspoon. Harrington is one of those guys you forget all about over the summer, but must consider he will make an impact off the bench. He's big, can score, plays good D, and has a good post game. He's not the rebounder Spoon is, but i give him the advantage in just about every other category, including age and contract. He's a true role player and more players like him will make this a good supporting group for our big three.
falcindor
Member: #42
USA
8/25/2002  8:50 PM
Our PG situation is horrible. We have the worst Pgs in the league. The only team that has pG as bad as us is Detroit. We are a PG from lighting the leauge up. The last time we had a decent one is Derrick Harper.
Fritz Alcindor Jr. *FUTURE KNICK GM* falcindor@hotmail.com
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
8/25/2002  10:37 PM
I think the PG position depends on how well Williams plays. If he can prove to be an effective starter for 25 minutes a game, I'd be ecstatic. The Knicks have 2 great back-up PGs in Eisley and Ward, the just don't have a starter. If Williams could be the Jamaal Tinsley of this year and play like a starter for just the first quarter and then different points later in the game with Eisley and Ward spelling him, I think the Knicks could do some damage.
#Knickstaps
killacross
Member: #58
USA
8/25/2002  11:38 PM
Posted by nyballer:

When i look around at the other elite teams in the league i realize that most of them have 2 stars and a good supporting cast. I think that we will be in good shape next year because McDyess, if healthy, is a star, without a doubt. he's up there with the webbers, garnetts, duncans, o'neals (jermaine), in my opinion. Teams like sac have webber-peja, the nets have jkidd-kmart, san antonio has duncan-smith, la has kobe-shaq. I think with McDyess as star #1, Spree and Houston combined are better than players like kidd, kmart, smith, and even kobe. I think what you need to ask is what players would you trade bOTH spree and houston for (regardless of contract issues). the only one i would trade for is shaq, and maybe duncan. I think with our team and maybe if we get van exel, we will be in excellent shape

The nets are overated... if they were in the west they would be a 4 seed at best definately behind LA, Sac, Dal. Kmart is not a star, he can jump and run thats it. San Antonio is really hurting. Smith is on a steady decline and it has been a good 3 yrs since he could be considered something even close to a star. Duncan is great but San Antonio wont make it anywhere deep in the playoffs because they dont have a good 2nd option.

Layden better make some moves before you guys can talk about the knicks being in the category of the lakers, kings, etc. All of the top teams rebound and have strong defenses. We have a good shot blocker in dice but we need a real center. Doleac/kt will not get it done. KT might be able to handle the centers in the east, but he will get destroyed by all of the centers in the west. We are lucky because with the east being so weak we have a shot at making it far in the playoffs. And if by some miracle chaney leads the team to the finals... anything can happen in 4 games. I just hope that layden makes some move, a move, any move to improve the current roster.

If somehow houston was traded and spree could play the 2 that would be great. Spree is a top 5 SG if he was playing there. At the sf he is not even in the top 10. The problem is if you trade houston, you trade away our only real shooter, so that means that you must get a shooting sf in return while finding someone dumb enough to take on his $100 mil contract. With our cap situation it would be very difficult to make any big trade.

Man if only we had not traded Ewing (means that we wouldn't have anderson 6mil or eisely 5mil or knight 4mil), not resigned houston or resigned him to a much smaller deal (14 mil), no signed spoon (6 mil) we would be in great shape. That means that we would have $35 million off our cap. Essentially we would be in great shape right now if the knicks management would not have made any moves in the past few years. What we could have done was draft artest instead of weis and have:

ward/williams
spree/postell
artest
dice/kt/othella
doleac/ewing

Ofcourse if we didnt do the ewing trade, we probably wouldnt have had the 7th overall pick and we wouldnt have traded for dice, but you get the idea. The main thing is:

If we would have had a monkey as our GM the past few years our team would be in better shape!!!!
ya cant stop me, you can only hope to contain me
falcindor
Member: #42
USA
8/26/2002  1:33 AM
SPREE top 5, whoa lay off the pipe.

Spree is good. If he didnt have Houston he would be a 23 point a gamer. But that isnt top 5 material. I even think Finley is alot better than Spree.
Fritz Alcindor Jr. *FUTURE KNICK GM* falcindor@hotmail.com
nwny
Member: #284
8/27/2002  8:35 AM
Posted by killacross:

The nets are overated... if they were in the west they would be a 4 seed at best definately behind LA, Sac, Dal. Kmart is not a star, he can jump and run thats it. San Antonio is really hurting. Smith is on a steady decline and it has been a good 3 yrs since he could be considered something even close to a star. Duncan is great but San Antonio wont make it anywhere deep in the playoffs because they dont have a good 2nd option.

Layden better make some moves before you guys can talk about the knicks being in the category of the lakers, kings, etc. All of the top teams rebound and have strong defenses. We have a good shot blocker in dice but we need a real center. Doleac/kt will not get it done. KT might be able to handle the centers in the east, but he will get destroyed by all of the centers in the west. We are lucky because with the east being so weak we have a shot at making it far in the playoffs. And if by some miracle chaney leads the team to the finals... anything can happen in 4 games. I just hope that layden makes some move, a move, any move to improve the current roster.

If somehow houston was traded and spree could play the 2 that would be great. Spree is a top 5 SG if he was playing there. At the sf he is not even in the top 10. The problem is if you trade houston, you trade away our only real shooter, so that means that you must get a shooting sf in return while finding someone dumb enough to take on his $100 mil contract. With our cap situation it would be very difficult to make any big trade.

Man if only we had not traded Ewing (means that we wouldn't have anderson 6mil or eisely 5mil or knight 4mil), not resigned houston or resigned him to a much smaller deal (14 mil), no signed spoon (6 mil) we would be in great shape. That means that we would have $35 million off our cap. Essentially we would be in great shape right now if the knicks management would not have made any moves in the past few years. What we could have done was draft artest instead of weis and have:

ward/williams
spree/postell
artest
dice/kt/othella
doleac/ewing

Ofcourse if we didnt do the ewing trade, we probably wouldnt have had the 7th overall pick and we wouldnt have traded for dice, but you get the idea. The main thing is:

If we would have had a monkey as our GM the past few years our team would be in better shape!!!!
Wow. Hands down the craziest post I have ever read.
killacross
USA
8/27/2002  5:38 PM
whatever... can u honestly tell me that signing spoon was not a bad move? 36 million dollars??? and can you say that if you had the chance of releasing eisely and anderson (11 million comibed) that you would not do it?
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
8/27/2002  7:15 PM
Speaking for myself, I thought it was a crazy post because you said Spree would be a top 5 SG if he played there, when you have Ray Allen, Allen Iverson, Kobe Bryant, Tracy McGrady, Paul Pierce, Jerry Stackhouse, and Vince Carter where at small forward you can make a case for Spree being in the top 10, behind Kevin Garnett, Dirk Nowitzki, Peja Stojackovic, Shawn Marion, Jalen Rose, Jamal Mashburn, Grant Hill, and Glenn Robinson.
#Knickstaps
killacross
USA
8/28/2002  5:13 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

Speaking for myself, I thought it was a crazy post because you said Spree would be a top 5 SG if he played there, when you have Ray Allen, Allen Iverson, Kobe Bryant, Tracy McGrady, Paul Pierce, Jerry Stackhouse, and Vince Carter where at small forward you can make a case for Spree being in the top 10, behind Kevin Garnett, Dirk Nowitzki, Peja Stojackovic, Shawn Marion, Jalen Rose, Jamal Mashburn, Grant Hill, and Glenn Robinson.

I understand... but I phrased that the wrong way.. i meant top 5 true shooting guard. I wasnt talking about 1-2 guys like iverson. Pierce is more of a 3 with his post up skills. For top 5 sgs i was thinking

kobe
ray allen
tmac
finley

I think right now spree is better than carter because carter is not consistent enough and needs to develop more of a midrange game and his D. Stack is a very good player but he needs 17-20 shots a game to be effective and only shoots 40% from the field and less than 30% from 3 pt range. If i was building a team would i take VC over spree?? hell yeah, VC is still improving and spree has already hit his peak, but im talkin about right now. VC is overhyped because of his dunking ability.
Our big 3

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy