Alba Posts: 0
Member: #853
3/21/2006  9:06 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/61329.htm

STEVIE BLUNDER TO BENCH

By MARC BERMAN

March 21, 2006 -- RAPTORS at KNICKS Tonight 7:30 - MSG
ESPN (1050)
It has been one month since the Knicks traded for Steve Francis. It has been one month since Larry Brown compared the point-guard marriage of Francis and Stephon Marbury to Walt Frazier and Earl Monroe.
But Stevie Franchise is now Stevie on the Fringe. Francis has been awful since the trade, and Brown announced yesterday he will banish him to the bench once Quentin Richardson returns from a sprained thumb, perhaps as soon as tonight against the Raptors at the Garden.

Richardson is listed as questionable for tonight, but is expected back tomorrow when Francis, who had started 495 of 498 career games entering this season, will make his Orlando homecoming from the pine.

If Marbury and Francis, both 29, are the Knicks' backcourt of the future, it's news to Brown. The Knicks coach indicated the $30 million Francis/Marbury tandem is in peril for next season, as he talked up the emergence of Richardson as their best defensive guard.

"Quentin has been playing pretty damn good," Brown said. "Quentin is 25 years old. He's done the things I've asked our team to do. He's tried to defend."

The backcourt controversy will swirl across the final 17 games of this so-far 19-46 catastrophe once Richardson returns. That's because 5-9 rookie Nate Robinson is out of Brown's ever-revolving doghouse and the coach will have to juggle five guards, including Jamal Crawford. Brown said a set rotation is no longer a priority and the auditions are on for next year.

Brown believes at least one guard must be traded this summer, preferably for a rugged rebounding power forward to complement Eddy Curry.

"I don't want to have four or five starters [at guard]," Brown said.

Robinson, less mistake-prone since he was activated last week, won't be sent back to the inactive list upon Richardson's return. Even though Francis has been the least effective guard, swingman Qyntel Woods likely will be the odd man out.

"[Steve's] been struggling," Brown said of Francis. "But you come late, it's not an easy thing. He's trying hard. He's putting a lot of pressure on himself. Hopefully he'll relax and play better."

Francis hasn't defended well, and has been careless with the ball. At practice Thursday, Knicks assistant coach Dave Hanners worked alone on Francis' unorthodox shot, trying to get more arc on his launch.

"He's so used to having the ball, being the principal ball handler, so it's an adjustment, and when you don't have an understanding of what we're doing, it's tough doing it on the fly," Brown said. "He'll be alright. I'm not too caught up in 17 games to evaluate Steve Francis."

Brown warned Francis' playing time will be reduced if he's not doing the intangibles.

"I've been telling guys 'If you defend and share the ball, you'll play,' " Brown said. "That's the way we're going to have to reward guys. We're not fighting for the playoffs. Further along we go, the younger guys got to play more."

Meanwhile, Robinson is back in Brown's good graces. The rookie was stung by being deactivated last month after winning the slam-dunk title during All-Star weekend. But he lifted his game in practice, cheered his teammates wildly from the bench and didn't sulk. Garden fans chant his name now, hoping he gets in.

"He's more under control," Brown said. "He understands more."

Said Robinson: "It's something I had to handle. I didn't know what was going on at first. I sat down and thought about it. Those guys are vets. I took notes."

and check out this picture haha...theres a brokeback pic for ya if ive ever seen one

[IMG_block] http://www.nypost.com/photos/knickslede03212006.jpg [/IMG_block]

[Edited by - mrbean259 on 03-21-2006 09:09 AM]
AUTOADVERT
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
3/21/2006  9:22 AM
Damn you beat me to it....
~You can't run from who you are.~
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
3/21/2006  9:22 AM

"But Stevie, what about Cuttino?"
~You can't run from who you are.~
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
3/21/2006  9:29 AM
Posted by joec32033:

"But Stevie, what about Cuttino?"

Cuttino who? Out of sight, out of mind.

LOL I posted this pic right before clicking on this link. The towel on Steph's head tops it off.

Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/21/2006  9:44 AM
Berman really inflames the negatives.

Why not just say we stockpiled talent to combine to do a trade?

There is no sense to getting Francis. We could trade him, or marbury.

Why is a compliment always construed as a complaint on another player?

There is just so many minutes to go around.

COmpetition has been good to get Nate more intense and Crawford to play harder. It threatens Francis and Marbury more.

That picture is all so funny.

Francis: Steph, wearing your towel back really highlights your eyes, you shold not hide them!
Marbs: Man, I can't quit you!
Francis: Can I leave some jewlery at your house?
Marbs: IM married!
Fransic: So am I! But its right here, right now!
Marbs: I like women!
Fran: Fine, Im the bitch!
marbs: Im gonna mess you up if you dong get off me.
Fran: is that a promise?
Marb: No really, Im going to get mid-evil on you!
Fran: Hmmmmmmmmm, don't tease me!
Marb: I like power tools, pus$y and hate to decorate!
Fran: Isn't David Lee cute?
Marb: yeah, what ever!
mrbean259
Member: #853
3/21/2006  9:49 AM
any chance we could trade both of them? it just sucks though because to match contracts were gonna either hafta take a bunch of guys back in a trade or guys with crappy overpriced contracts. it looks like brown likes q1 and crawford so i dont know if hed want to dump them. and i really like nate as an energy guy off the bench even if its just for like 15 min a game
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
3/21/2006  10:20 AM

[IMG_block] http://usuarios.lycos.es/guerrerofac/3imagenes2.jpg [/IMG_block]
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Swishfm3
Member: #392
3/21/2006  10:30 AM
now thats funny^^^
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
3/21/2006  12:30 PM
Robinson, less mistake-prone since he was activated last week, won't be sent back to the inactive list upon Richardson's return. Even though Francis has been the least effective guard, swingman Qyntel Woods likely will be the odd man out.

That would piss me off. Q Woods has played well on the rare occasions when Larry gives him a chance
Bippity10
Member: #574
3/21/2006  1:50 PM
Qyntel's time will come but he will have to be patient.....I don't mind Stevie going to the bench. I think he may be the most individually talented player on our roster but in terms of winning plays he is a bench player in my view. On any of the Pistons, Celtics, Lakers teamas of the past he would have been nothing more than an instant offense 6th man. His concept of what is a good shot and what is not is horrendous. I know his talent is great and I don't doubt his ability but I honestly don't see this guy as more than a sixth man on a great team.

Of course handing him shoe contracts and franchises has stymied his career. He now thinks he's a superstar. He should have been groomed from a rookie. Ride the pine and learn hard lessons like Nate and Frye and all our guys. He would be much further along. Instead he was handed the key to the franchise and never had to pay the price for his bad habits. The franchise held him in higher regard to the coach. And now, however many years later LB has to try to teach him how to play team ball. The story of our franchise, and the story of the NBA for that matter.
I just hope that people will like me
Bonn1997
USA
3/21/2006  1:57 PM
Qyntel's time will come but he will have to be patient
I'd rather use that philosophy on the players who don't play hard consistently.
It should be
"Eddy's time will come (when he plays hard)"
"JJ's time will come (when he gets in shape)"
"Jamal's time will come (when he plays hard consistently)"
"Steph's and Steve's time will come (when they play hard on both ends of the court)"
Bippity10
3/21/2006  2:11 PM
Bonn: isn't that exactly what has been happening over the last few weeks?

Qyntel's spot with us is cemented should he choose to stay. It's teh other guys that are auditioning. Qyntel's time will come. Patience.
SlimPack
Member: #1009
USA
3/21/2006  2:11 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
It should be
"Steph's and Steve's time will come (when they play hard on both ends of the court)"

I gotta go with bonn on this on. I just cant rationalize playing worse players ahead of better players. I agree with bippity's philosophy that you cant just hand things to young players, without making them earn it becuase it could cuase them to feel entitled, and then they wont play as hard, becuased theyll thing there all that. but at the same time you have to reward guys who play well, and punish guys who don't, or else the team will lose confidence in the coach, but then again I could be overrated qyntel.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
3/21/2006  2:14 PM
oh man LOL at Nalod and TMS!!
Bonn1997
USA
3/21/2006  2:45 PM
Posted by SlimPack:
Posted by Bonn1997:
It should be

I gotta go with bonn on this on. I just cant rationalize playing worse players ahead of better players. I agree with bippity's philosophy that you cant just hand things to young players, without making them earn it don't, or else the team will lose confidence in the coach, but then again I could be overrated qyntel.

I agree with that too, BUT once they've consistently earned it, you've gotta rewared it with consistent PT. And IMO everyone, including veterans, has to consistently earn it.
Bippity10
3/21/2006  2:52 PM
Slim Pack: I don't think either of us is wrong. I personally would like to see the guy play. But I also understand our situation is unique. We are building from scratch. we need to find out who is on board with us. We know at this point Q is. Unfortunately we have to test other players out at this point and since there are only so many minutes between Q, nate, Jalen, Francis, Quentin, someone has to take a hit. It sucks. He's earned his time but he is the one guy on the roster that has earned his minutes consistently and probably not been rewarded for them. Sucks, but that's rebuilding. You can't coach the way you nomrally would
Bonn1997
USA
3/21/2006  2:58 PM
Posted by Bippity10:

Slim Pack: I don't think either of us is wrong. I personally would like to see the guy play. But I also understand our situation is unique. We are building from scratch. we need to find out who is on board with us. We know at this point Q is. Unfortunately we have to test other players out at this point and since there are only so many minutes between Q, nate, Jalen, Francis, Quentin, someone has to take a hit. It sucks. He's earned his time but he is the one guy on the roster that has earned his minutes consistently and probably not been rewarded for them. Sucks, but that's rebuilding. You can't coach the way you nomrally would
Which guys need more minutes for you to determine if they're "on board"?
Also, I can't think of a more effective way to get them on board then to say, "You'll get minutes rather than DNP-CDs if you get on board. I play the players like Q who are on board." Instead the message Larry sends is "I give DNP-CDs to the player that get on board like David Lee, Jackie Butler, Q-Woods."

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 03-21-2006 2:59 PM]
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
3/21/2006  3:17 PM

Aw Stevie, why'd you have to choose Harry the White Guy over me. You cut me deep.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Bippity10
3/21/2006  3:49 PM
Jalen, Steve, Steph, Q, Malik,, Channing, Jackie, David, Nate. Pretty much everyone. Get on board doesn't have to be a negative thing. I think Lee has a great attitude but he's still being auditioned. Same with Jamal. Guys are earning time right now as we speak. LB has come out and said it. But learning which vets are going to stop complaining and LEAD US is more important than any minutes the young guys get at this point. Creating this culture within the organization is the most important thing right now. I have preached culture over names for almost 6 years now on this site and MSG. Forget minutes. The rookies will get their time eventually. Right now in order to build a winner we need to determine which vet is going to help us get over the hump. If they play hard, they get the minutes and sorry David, Q, Channing etc. lose out even if they are performing. That's the way sports works. You wait your time
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
3/21/2006  3:53 PM

franchise:
the first time ever i saw your face
i thought the sun rose in your eyes
and the moon and the stars were the gifts you gave
to the dark and the empty skies my love

stevie back to the bench

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy