[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

hollinger chat wrap
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
3/20/2006  4:23 PM
SportsNation John Hollinger: Greetings everyone and welcome to another chat. I'm still trying to come to terms with the idea that we're better internationally in soccer than we are in baseball or basketball ... what's on everyone else's mind?

Brian (pa): U called it!!!! As soon as Iverson went down, the Sixers whole season went up in smoke (pun sort of intended).... but my question is about the Rockets, do they sit tight and wait for McGrady to come back next year? Or do they need a major roster overhaul?

SportsNation John Hollinger: Thanks Brian. That's the worst part about Philly's season -- Webber and AI are never going to be this healthy for this long again, and even so they were barely treading water. As for Houston, they have some serious work to do this summer, but the lottery pick should help speed things along.

Robbie, CA: Do you think that Ron Artest should win the Defensive player of the year or Comeback player of the year?

SportsNation John Hollinger: No such thing as comeback player of the year anymore, and as for defensive player I can't see him winning by playing only half a season. Right now I'd say Bruce Bowen has the inside track.

Chuck: Watch out, John. I hear Bill Simmons has a contract out on you.

SportsNation John Hollinger: He doesn't know this yet, but my next five columns are going to be about the Celtics and Clippers, and I've scheduled them all to run 12 hours before he files.

Patrick (South Florida): D-Wade for M.V.P! Thanks for the great article and the love for the most valuable player in the nba! Now it's time for you and Bill Simmons to carry the torch and get him some votes. John how far do you see the Heat going this Spring. Done in May or June?

SportsNation John Hollinger: Heat will make the conference finals, that's for certain. As far as a match-up with Detroit goes, that's the hard part. Even with Miami's hot streak, a betting man would have to put his money on the Pistons right now.

Dan, VA: Hi John, which potential 6-8 seated teams do you think are most likely to pull off an upset in the first round?

SportsNation John Hollinger: The No. 7 and 8 seeds have no chance, although Sacto-Phoenix would at least be interesting. The two No. 6s, on the other hand, have a great shot and might even be favored. So the difference between 6 and 7 this year is enormous.

Chris (Gilbert, AZ): John, I've read all over the place that "Defense wins championships!" Forgive me if this is a silly question, but why is it that defense suddenly becomes so much more important in the playoffs than it is for the first 82 games?

SportsNation John Hollinger: It doesn't -- a point allowed for one team is a point scored for somebody else, so the relative importance of offense and defense is always going to be 50-50. Playoff games become lower-scoring, though, for a variety of reasons.

Chad (Baltimore): I have the NBA league pass. Is it just me or are all local broadcasters terrible???

SportsNation John Hollinger: No. Some of them are horrendous, of course, and a few other teams have very low production values on the video side, but most are pretty good. Mike Breen in NY is amazing (and I've written this even before he joined The Mouse, so don't call me a shill) and I'm also partial to the Golden State crew (Jim Durham does the color, apologies to the PBP guy whose name I forget but he's good too).

Christopher (Phoenix): I can't take it anymore! What can the Suns do to overcome the hated Spurs?

SportsNation John Hollinger: Wow. I don't think I've ever heard anyone use "hate" with the Spurs before. Even though they keep winning, they're so darned nice about it that nobody seems to hate them, (unlike, say, the Lakers or the Cowboys). But I guess if they win enough they'll eventually become the villains.

David (NYC): Name some of those reasons why scoring lowers in the playoffs.

SportsNation John Hollinger: The pace slows down for starters, probably because coaches get more uptight and start calling every play. But there's also much less element of surprise for the offense after a team has seen them a few times consecutively. And, of course, the increased enforcement of the no-layups policy.

Jon (NYC): John, not to harp on broadcasters too much, but what are your thoughts on Mark Jackson? I can't tell you how much I appreciate that he doesn't resort to cheerleading for the team he calls (Nets), something many commentators often do.

SportsNation John Hollinger: I'm usually too caught up listening to Marv to notice Mark, to be honest. I suppose in a way that means he's doing a goog job, b/c I get annoyed pretty easily by bad announcers.

Jeff Chicago, IL: After an inexcusible loss in Toronto, does the Bucks mediocrity reflect more so on their line up or first year coach Terry Stotts? Is this something that can be remdied prior to the playoffs?

SportsNation John Hollinger: I'm really surprised that Milwaukee hasn't defended better, and if that doesn't change somewhere down the line it will probably cost Stotts his job. As for this season, Milwaukee has actually played a bit better lately to me, though it didn't show in the final minutes in Toronto.

Mark (Piscataway, NJ): I'm an avid nets fan over here in nj. What do you think of the Nets chances in the playoffs this year?

SportsNation John Hollinger: I've actually watched multiple NBA games in Piscataway, NJ ... ah, the glory days of Super John Williamson and Mike Newlin. As for this year's bunch, don't expect much. They're defending a little better lately, and I like that they finally took Planinic out of the freezer, but winning one series is their ceiling unless Dwyane Wade's legs fall off.

Brian (Bay Area): How long until Eric Mussleman gets another head coaching job?

SportsNation John Hollinger: I hope it's this summer. He's a better coach than a lot of guys who have jobs right now and I think he'll be one of the main targets in the offseason.

Anthony:(Atlanta, GA): I was at the hawks game yesterday and witnessed Joe Johnson going for 40. Where do you see as possible destinations for Al Harrington in a sign-and-trade and what pieces do you see the Hawks getting back to bring Joe Johnson some backcourt help and some rebounding/shot blocking.

SportsNation John Hollinger: I was there too, apologies if the glare off my head distracted you from the game. Harrington obviously is the key piece for Atlanta over the summer -- they'll be looking to sign and trade instead of losing him for nothing. However, Hawks' recent history of being asleep at the wheel during trade season doesn't bode well here, and the ownership mess could tangle things.

Jeff (Iowa): Any college coaches you think might make the jump to the NBA next season?

SportsNation John Hollinger: I hope not. Unless it's somebody like Bzdelik that already has NBA experience, it's destined to be a disaster -- and it's usually a costly one too.

A.J. (Sioux Falls, SD): Mr. Hollinger, who would best compliment the Magic's young arsenal of players the best in the upcoming draft? Is Morrison really worthy of a top draft pick?

SportsNation John Hollinger: Orlando really needs a shooter at the 2, and if it's a guy who can defend as well then so much the better. I think Roy and Foye are the two obvious fits, although they wouldn't be guys you'd take at No. 1.

Anthony (Cleveland, OH): Can you name me 3 starting point guards in the entire league worse than Eric Snow? I don't think you honestly can. He's CBA quality at best.

SportsNation John Hollinger: I can get to two with Royal Ivey and Chucky Atkins, but No. 3 has me stumped. Snow is a good defender, but offensively he's become ridiculous, so he's a real stretch as a starter. But Damon Jones has been even worse. Perhaps when Hughes returns they'll just play Flip at the point.

Jeff (Iowa): A follow up on the college coach question - do you think Coach K could have handled the Laker job? It's pretty clear Montgomery should have stayed at Stanford.

SportsNation John Hollinger: It's so hard to say. The biggest challenge for these guys is dialing down the scream-meter while still staying intense and appearing in control. It's a difficult adjustment, and I'm interested to see how he handles it in the Olympics.

Eric (Orlando, FL): What do you think of Orlando's prospects for next year. Do you think Dwight Howard will develop his offensive game much more so that he can become a superstar? Give me some thoughts on Darko please.

SportsNation John Hollinger: I'll have some thoughts on Darko tomorrow. As for Howard, he really needs to improve his post game. He showed a little more yesterday than I had seen earlier in the season, but he's still got a long, long way to go.

Paul (Dallas Texas): What do you think of Rawle Marshal's performance coming into an injury riddled team without even being drafted? Are the Mavs getting any Kudos for finding hidden talent?

SportsNation John Hollinger: This is the second time in three years they've done this -- they also unearthed Marquis Daniels in 2003-04. Add in the drafts of Howard and Harris and they've had a pretty good run personnel wise, which is how they've been able to cope with losing Nash and Finley.

Matthew: If the Mavericks ever get their entire rotation healthy, I think they become the odds-on favorites. Thoughts?

SportsNation John Hollinger: Put it this way: Pair up a healthy Mavs vs. a healthy Spurs, and I'll take the Spurs every time. But the reality is that teams are rarely 100% healthy, so you can't count on that as your meal ticket. Unless you're Detroit, in which case you have lifetime immunity from any and all injuries and should feel free to proceed with a five-man roster.

Matt, MPLS : Anthony Carter started like 10 games for the Wolves. He is your # 3 right there. Will McHale be the wolves GM next year?

SportsNation John Hollinger: I was talking about guys who are starting right now. If It was a few weeks ago I would have had McLeod from the Jazz as No. 3, but Deron Williams has regained that spot ... and is playing quite well I might add.

Garrett (Phoenix): Apparently you've never been to the desert if you've never heard of anyone hating the Spurs. Between Tim Duncan's constant crying, and Ginobili's auditions for Hollywood or Ballet recital (I can never quite tell which), they have got to be the most hated team in the league. With that said, after the Spurs and Mavs tear each other up for 7 games, and we sweep Memphis or Denver, we'll see Detroit in the Finals...

SportsNation John Hollinger: Wow. OK. Apparently SOME people hate the Spurs. But overall, there isn't nearly the venom that other past champions have generated.

Tony: SLC, UT: The Hornets and Jazz are horrendous! I would hate for the lakers to make the playoffs by default because the teams below them stink.

SportsNation John Hollinger: When you take 16 teams, that's usually how it works. Ask the Sixers.

Tony (Chicago): Is there anyone out there for the Bulls to get? Sure they have picks and cap space but like the last few years what good is it when there isn't anyone available?

SportsNation John Hollinger: Chicago's biggest effort likely will be to use their assets for a trade, rather than overpaying a free agent. Kevin Garnett will be the primary target.

John (Houston): Any chances of the Spurs getting rid of Rasho for anything of value? I just can't seem to figure out what Pop is doing keeping him around.

SportsNation John Hollinger: Pop is keeping him because every time they offer Rasho in a trade they hear a "click," followed in 10 seconds by a dial tone. But he'll be mildly useful if they end up playing the Heat in the Finals.

Matt (New Haven): I'm resigned to the Knicks trading at least one of their #1's as a sign-and-trade enticement, but will there be anyone out there worth paying for to run the point at 21? Maybe Marcus Williams (UCONN)? Not that "worth paying for" will be part of the calculus...

SportsNation John Hollinger: There's no point in getting a rookie PG because Brown will never play him. What the Knicks should do is get a low-salary veteran that Brown trusts (see Workman, Haywoode; Snow, Eric) and use their money to fill the other spots.

Brendan(Pittsburgh): When do you think the Magic will return to be a contender for at least the playoffs?

SportsNation John Hollinger: Could be next year. Even if Hill doesn't give them anything, they have cap space, a high pick and lots of young talent with Howard, Nelson, Ariza and Darko.

Shane J (Austin, TX): Suns in the Finals?!?!? Spurs might as well make the Suns put lipstick and a dress on them. Spurs own the Suns with or without Amare.

SportsNation John Hollinger: Let the trash talk begin. And just think, we have two months left before the conference finals.

Mike (Tucson, AZ): I hate (dis)respect questions as much as the next guy but why do you think so little (relatively speaking) attention is being paid to Carmelo's evolution into a great scorer (shooting well over 50% for the past 6 weeks)?

SportsNation John Hollinger: Yes, he's again having a strong second half, and that's probably going to win the division for Denver. He's become a killer in last-shot situations -- won't be surprised if teams just double him in those spots from now on, even if he's 20 feet from the basket.

Scott (Santa Barbara, CA): The Clips have good guard play, big men that can dominate, and a deeper bench now. How far can they go?

SportsNation John Hollinger: I like their team quite a bit, but in this conference they're hosed. A first-round match up against Dallas or San Antonio? Buh-bye.

Matt Harrison (Port Huron, MI): I'm starting to think Joe D. is a bit overrated as a GM. Sure, he pulled Tayshaun out of nowhere and fleeced a couple of teams to get Rasheed, but he admits to lucking into Ben Wallace and the Darko trade seems to be a little lopsided. Plus, lets not forget Mateen Cleaves and Rodney White.

SportsNation John Hollinger: The only way Dumars has been lucky has been with the health of his starting five. Yes, he's had the occasional dud, but for the most part his moves have been brilliant -- Billups for the mid-level, Rip for Stackhouse, Mike James and Rasheed Wallace for Bob Sura and a bunch of leftovers, etc.

Marc (Victoriaville, Qc): So what could Colangelo do this offseason ? I don't see him doing magic ... the only thing he can do is overpay for Mike James to stay in TO and have a good draft. The Raps will still suck next year without a true C and a trus #1 PG ... Please bring me hope Mr. Hollinger.

SportsNation John Hollinger: Actually, he can do quite a bit because the Raps have enough cap space to sign Peja or another high-scoring wing, will have a high first-rounder, and could use Peterson and Williams as pieces in a trade for a big man.

Bill Simmons, LA: Your a fraud Hollinger!!!

SportsNation John Hollinger: Don't make me send Isiah after you.

Andrew (NYC): Steph and Larry Brown have really come to a breaking point in thier relationship. Conventional Wisdom is saying that the Knicks will shop Marbury, but what are the odds that Brown will go instead, since Steph is so untradeable?

SportsNation John Hollinger: Zero. What you are seeing is Brown's manipulative genius at work. He didn't want Marbury but Isiah didn't really want to trade him, so Brown (mis)managed the situation perfectly to the point that the Knicks HAVE TO trade him. Now next year he'll have a team that he'll feel like coaching.

Paul(Minny): John, did Stockton ever have a single year as great as Nash is having this year? Obviously Stockton has had the better career, but he never had to be "the man" like Nash has been.

SportsNation John Hollinger: Offensively, he's had years just as good but not better - in 1989-90 for instance he went for 17.1 points, 13.6 assists and shot 53.8% (!!!). What really set Stockton apart though was all those All-Defense nominations -- he's vastly superior to Nash in that regard.

Harry (Tucson): Hey dude, can you let me know the next time you're at a Suns game and where you'll be sitting so I can throw a soda at you?

SportsNation John Hollinger: Sure. I'll be the guy in the gorilla outfit. Don't worry -- it's me under there. Security won't do a thing because I've told them to expect it.

SportsNation John Hollinger: And on that note, it's time to end things here. Have a great week, and let's hope Spurs and Suns fans can learn to live in peaceful harmony.
AUTOADVERT
Swishfm3
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #392
3/20/2006  4:40 PM
Andrew (NYC): Steph and Larry Brown have really come to a breaking point in thier relationship. Conventional Wisdom is saying that the Knicks will shop Marbury, but what are the odds that Brown will go instead, since Steph is so untradeable?

SportsNation John Hollinger: Zero. What you are seeing is Brown's manipulative genius at work. He didn't want Marbury but Isiah didn't really want to trade him, so Brown (mis)managed the situation perfectly to the point that the Knicks HAVE TO trade him. Now next year he'll have a team that he'll feel like coaching.
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
3/20/2006  4:46 PM
If thats true, I am not happy with Brown. He just hurt Stephs trade value - so what can we get for him at this point? If he didnt want Steph maybe he should have signed elswhere or petitioned Dolan to do as he wishes.

This fiasco has hurt the franchise, it will be interesting to see if he can fix things after the season is over.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/20/2006  5:01 PM
Posted by OasisBU:

If thats true, I am not happy with Brown. He just hurt Stephs trade value - so what can we get for him at this point? If he didnt want Steph maybe he should have signed elswhere or petitioned Dolan to do as he wishes.

This fiasco has hurt the franchise, it will be interesting to see if he can fix things after the season is over.

Trust me, the GMs al know what the deal is with Marbury. Its better to agree to disagree and call it a lack of philosphy between the two.

Nobody said larry was a good person either. He does not want to coach Marbury anymore. If he feels he can't win with him, then its trade time. BUt for public opinion, it must be seen that way. One or the other. ANd I think most folk who have seens marbs act would agree he is a great talent, but is not the leader we seek.

For most good coaches, the point is an extension of the coach. The QB must buy into the system. If not, it won't work. No matter how great the talent is.

hollinger chat wrap

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy