[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

National Press starting to come around...
Author Thread
rvhoss
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #777
Switzerland
3/20/2006  3:28 PM
From the miami herald...couple this with the sports illustrated article and the Dolan isiah sit down and you guys will all be jumping on the bash larry bandwagon as well...

I still contend it aint all steph, but others are convinced we trade steph, knicks win championship...forget the fact they were 1-8 when he went down for that short span of games.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/14136008.htm

Knicks' Brown opts for excessive drama
By Israel Gutierrez
igutierrez@MiamiHerald.com

The drama king of New York City must be in heaven right now.

Sure, his team is losing, but as Larry Brown continues his way-too-public feud with point guard Stephon Marbury, the Knicks head coach is getting exactly what he always craves: attention. And he happens to be on the largest possible platform, New York City, too. Oh, man, it's almost too much.

Think it's cruel to call a Hall of Fame coach an attention-starved self-promoter? It might be. But it's also true. It's right there in his track record.

Brown has never been able to stay put, even when it seemed like he had a good thing going. Never was that more evident than in Detroit, when Brown made two straight Finals appearances with the Pistons but still managed to make life miserable enough for general manager Joe Dumars and the Pistons organization that they wanted him out as badly as he wanted to move on again.

Brown somehow made the Eastern Conference finals between the Heat and Pistons all about him when he flirted with the idea of leaving the Pistons for a Cavaliers front-office job and denied he was doing so the entire time.

CHILDISH SHOTS

And now for his most egregious act yet, Brown decides to make a mockery of the player-coach relationship by taking regular shots at Marbury, until the two finally had it out publicly last week, trading shots that can only be called childish. A player can occasionally get away with an outburst like that, but when it's the player who says he has had enough of his coach taking shots at him in the media, that's the ultimate role reversal, and a pretty embarrassing one.

To recap: After an entire season of suggesting Marbury was not buying into his system and wasn't putting his team first, Brown took particular offense to Marbury suggesting the Knicks are losing because he doesn't have enough freedom in the offense.

''I'll take my credibility. I ain't worried about my credibility,'' Brown said, adding later, ``I've been coaching how many years? A long time. I never left a team in worse shape than I got it. Not once. Think about that.

``Think about me and think about the guy who's talking. Never left a team in worse shape. Never asked anything of my players any different than I'm doing right now. Think about that. Think about that.''

I've thought about it, and I've decided Brown must have a bruise on his chest from pounding it so hard. The man who is preaching team first is responding to his player's complaint by pointing to his résumé and yelling, ``Can you beat that?''

Honestly, this isn't the first time a player has ever complained about his role on a team. It probably isn't the first time this week it happened. But Brown's response is almost unprecedented. Marbury sounded like more of an adult with his analysis of his coach.

''If Coach is comparing his career to my career, he's got like a 20-year edge on me. To me that sounds like a lot of insecurity going on,'' Marbury said. ``He's basically speaking on things that he's done. I think the people in New York want to know what he's going to do as far as us winning. What happened in the past is in the past. I think New York people can relate to what's going to happen now. We live more in the present.''

not everyone on this board apperantly

GOING PUBLIC

Most coaches, when allowed the option, would prefer to handle these problems internally, avoiding the attention and remaining professional. Consider that Warriors coach Mike Montgomery is having possibly worse issues with his star point guard Baron Davis, who has basically shut out his coach and shows little respect. Montgomery, who's only in his second season as an NBA coach, has managed to not make it a public issue.

Brown knows how to be a professional in such situations. He just chooses not to.

``He always crosses the line [with what he says], Marbury said of Brown. ``That's not nothing new. But like I said at the beginning, certain coaches deal with certain things certain ways. He handles his things through the media as opposed to sitting down and talking with people.''
Marbury and Brown tried to talk privately after the public war of words, but that lasted all of a minute and settled nothing.

Both say they plan on being together again next year, but that won't, and shouldn't, happen.
As much as Brown would like to remain the star in this hoops opera, this kind of drama is good for no one.
all kool aid all the time.
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/20/2006  4:24 PM
Just starting to come around? THere have been larry haters for years and years! This guy has been media fodder for 31 years.

Larry Brown is not a "nice person". He is a SOB! But there are not many who have been around as long and are in control. Fire Larry Brown, he got 5 offers waiting. Its called hand. not many coaches have it. Players

I would venture to say both Larry and Steph are not the most likable humans to be associated with the NBA.

There is a nice story line that sells papers to be critical of each of them.

Take a side.

The grumpy old white guy.

Or the young hip hop punk.

Then form your own predudice and run with it.

Is starbury akin to Anikan Skywalker and just prone to the dark side? Or is there good inside of him that can be used to conquer?

"STAR"bury Wars

Episode VII:

"The Bladder Scowls Back"

[Edited by - nalod on 03-20-2006 4:37 PM]
National Press starting to come around...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy